• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exanima has the best medieval combat in gaming (GIFs)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/362490/
https://www.gog.com/game/exanima

Due to the nature of the control schemes, sometimes the physics and movement can look a bit wonky, but overall nothing else comes close. I've been watching Game of Thrones recently, and this is the only game that captures those kind of weighty, heavy, brutal clashes. The clang of blade and blade, the scrape of a steel sword against stone when you miss a swing, the thuds of heavy blows against shields, the physicality of armored foes pushing and striking at each other, the screams and wet impacts when you rend flesh. Everything is driven by physics and momentum, so timing and positioning is crucial. It allows for strategies like staying up close so your long sword wielding enemy doesn't have the distance to swing effectively, or staying to the side of an enemy so you can slash at the unshielded part of his body, or letting a missed sledgehammer swing open up your enemy for an attack.

PerfectBriefComet.gif
VigilantGiftedAlpinegoat.gif

ImpressiveRewardingAsianelephant.gif
IllegalAbleKob.gif

You can control the angle and speed of your swing, performs feints and parries. A fast step forward can add extra heft and power to your attack. With a click of a button, you can thrust your blade forward or perform a downward strike; the latter can end a fight in seconds if you land a head-crushing blow with a hammer or mace. Side-stepping an attack can throw an enemy off balance, giving you time and an opening to land a devastating attack.

Some combat in the expert arena
ThoseGrandioseHoiho.gif

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I find it conceptually interesting but I don't agree that it's the best medieval combat in gaming.

While it's more arcade, based on the E3 and PSX playables For Honor looks like it will take that crown from my perspective.

I think 9/10 strikes in Exanima looks really bad, especially as the feet do not move right.

I find it conceptually interesting but I don't agree that it's the best medieval combat in gaming.

While it's more arcade, based on the E3 and PSX playables For Honor looks like it will take that crown from my perspective.

I think 9/10 strikes in Exanima looks really bad, especially as the feet do not move right.
From what I've seen, For Honor has more on an arcadey vibe, more of a fighting game speed of trading stylish blows, while Exanima feels more messy and unpredictable IMO. Glancing blows and stumbles and weapons rebounding off shields and such.

Artdayne

I've played quite a bit of this. The combat is pretty uniquely satisfying I have to say. I often play with a two handed sword and there's nothing quite like lining up a strong slicing attack to your opponents head. More often then not, the fight is over at that point.

There's really a lot to like with the combat system though I do wish the characters didn't look so drunk sometimes.

Yeah, this seems to be the real problem that makes it feel "wrong". The feet in the game seem to move as a result of the body moving, not the other way around. Much of the sluggishness of realistic combat comes from the momentum of moving around, pushing with your legs. This looks more like floating, with the legs doing nothing but trying desperately to maintain the illusion of true physicality.

Venom Fox

Banned
Isn't that title about to be claimed by Kingdom Come Deliverance?
No way... the combat doesn't look too good IMO. It'll be years before we get a proper decent combat system in a game like that.

Yeah, this seems to be the real problem that makes it feel "wrong". The feet in the game seem to move as a result of the body moving, not the other way around. Much of the sluggishness of realistic combat comes from the momentum of moving around, pushing with your legs. This looks more like floating, with the legs doing nothing but trying desperately to maintain the illusion of true physicality.
Pick up a 20KG weight bar and swing that around for 5 minutes. You'll be flailing around like your pissed as well.

I've played quite a bit of this. The combat is pretty uniquely satisfying I have to say. I often play with a two handed sword and there's nothing quite like lining up a strong slicing attack to your opponents head. More often then not, the fight is over at that point.

There's really a lot to like with the combat system though I do wish the characters didn't look so drunk sometimes.
I only realized recently you can switch between two different loadouts, so I tend to use shield + sword or axe to soften up an enemy, then switch to a sledgehammer or halberd to deliver the killing blow.

No way... the combat doesn't look too good IMO. It'll be years before we get a proper decent combat system in a game like that.

How does it not look good? They've been studying how swings affect the body, and how each individual direction/attack would hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0sK7Xqfvpc

This shows some of the shit they're attempting. If anything it looks like if the game has a weak spot it won't be the combat, but anything else assuming they aren't working hard on the story/quests.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
From what I've seen, For Honor has more on an arcadey vibe, more of a fighting game speed of trading stylish blows, while Exanima feels more messy and unpredictable IMO. Glancing blows and stumbles and weapons rebounding off shields and such.
I have no doubt that there is skill involved in creating powerful hits in that systems driven animation system.

For me there is just also aesthetics that play a role in it and for me it doesn't hold up. Maybe it's fundamentally unable to be aesthetically pleasing due to how hard it is to get the anticipation aspect in systemic animation systems to work.

And I said said, 9/10 from the raw footage. When systemic animations work well it can look really nice and weighty, as in the gifs.

Venom Fox

Banned
How does it not look good? They've been studying how swings affect the body, and how each individual direction/attack would hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0sK7Xqfvpc

This shows some of the shit they're attempting. If anything it looks like if the game has a weak spot it won't be the combat, but anything else assuming they aren't working hard on the story/quests.
I'm not seeing it. Granted it does look OK it still doesn't have that realistic weighted look. Hope they do achieve it because I am looking forward to the full game.

Most realistic looking for sure. How does this game control exactly? I'd love to see a PvP element.
WSAD to move, mouse for attacking. The position and movement of the mouse affects the angle and power of your attack. You can double click LMB for overheard strikes, and hold ALT to thrust

And some other keys but those are the main ones

WSAD to move, mouse for attacking. The position and movement of the mouse affects the angle and power of your attack. You can double click LMB for overheard strikes, and hold ALT to thrust

And some other keys but those are the main ones

That sounds really interesting. may need to give it a shot. Thanks for the explanation. Using a big ass warhammer must be fun in this.

Stiler

It looks like a fun combat system and the physics/interactions really help it.

However it looks quite far from realistic. The feet look really off and the lack of stances/guards.

Real combat just wouldn't look at all like that, it looks more like two people controlling string-puppets and fighting with them then actual real combat would look with people taking stances and striking each other or wrestling.

Pick up a 20KG weight bar and swing that around for 5 minutes. You'll be flailing around like your pissed as well.

Why would you be picking up a 20kg weight at all? Swords don't weigh much. Even a two hander was 3'ish kg give or take.

i always thought with next gen gaming since like ps3 era we would see advancement in weight and physics/gameplay but not really.

the focus is always on graphics and "scripts"

I have been begging for physics in games for years and years, racers, fighters, walls whatever. One day someone will break out something amazing and we may get physics to take class over just graphics. physics will be so much more fun in so many games if you just make it

It looks like a fun combat system but it looks far from realistic.

The feet look really off and the lack of stances/guards.
Your character automatically blocks/guards when you're not attacking. Facing your enemy or keeping your shield towards your enemy makes your blocks more effective. You can also intercept an attack with your own attack, or use your body to prevent an enemy from attacking

Artdayne

It looks like a fun combat system and the physics/interactions really help it.

However it looks quite far from realistic. The feet look really off and the lack of stances/guards.

Real combat just wouldn't look at all like that, it looks more like two people controlling string-puppets and fighting with them then actual real combat would look with people taking stances and striking each other or wrestling.

Why would you be picking up a 20kg weight at all? Swords don't weigh much. Even a two hander was 3'ish kg give or take.

The feet are a bit clumsy and weird, that's my biggest gripe having played quite a bit of it. The combat is still very realistic. You have dynamic control over the speed and angle of your swing. You have to manage distance, timing, these are fundamentals of sword fighting and Exanima handles them very well. How quickly you move the mouse and whether you are stepping into a strike all effect how much damage it does.

Related vIdeo about the realism of For Honor. "not as good as Kingdom Come: Deliverance seems to be".

RedFox85

*looks at gifs* *copy paste into steam* *clicks and buys* Thanks!

This looks so cool, had never heard of it before this thread.

Stiler

The feet are a bit clumsy and weird, that's my biggest gripe having played quite a bit of it. The combat is still very realistic. You have dynamic control over the speed and angle of your swing. You have to manage distance, timing, these are fundamentals of sword fighting and Exanima handles them very well. How quickly you move the mouse and whether you are stepping into a strike all effect how much damage it does.

Maybe I'm not understanding the controls, but how do you control the angle of your sword? I mean with a mouse you only have four axis of control so it would seem a bit limited to have the full control that you'd need.

Like are you able to for example, bring your sword above your head with it pointed forward and things? Or are you just able to "Swing it" around like a bat?

Things like being able to thrust in any direction, lunge, leap, and having actual stances are the things that seem missing to me.

With stances being the biggest thing missing (this is like the cornerstone of fighting for any trained fighter).

jblank83

While this is a fully-supported game, it's also a kind of combat proof of concept for the larger full-fledged RPG the devs are also working on

That's why I haven't purchased it.

The combat physics look great. The game itself doesn't.

How is the game portion, iyo? I hear it's supposed to be rogue-like.

Artdayne

Maybe I'm not understanding the controls, but how do you control the angle of your sword? I mean with a mouse you only have four axis of control so it would seem a bit limited to have the full control that you'd need.

Like are you able to for example, bring your sword above your head with it pointed forward and things? Or are you just able to "Swing it" around like a bat?

Things like being able to thrust in any direction, lunge, leap, and having actual stances are the things that seem missing to me.

With stances being the biggest thing missing (this is like the cornerstone of fighting for any trained fighter).

I could have phrased that better, sorry. You don't have 100% control over the swing path of your weapon. Swinging right to left or left to right, it's more or less in a straight line but I'm pretty sure that the distance of your character in relation to your opponent will still determine where your weapon hits them.

If you have a shorter weapon, you can also crowd an opponent who has a bigger weapon and prevent them from getting any big hits off.

So, the speed you move your mouse determines the swing speed of your weapon. The direction you move your character while swinging also influences swing speed. You can swing left to right. You can perform an overhead attack, a thrust. You can crowd your opponent and even knock them down if you are bigger than them (though that looks a bit clumsy). Blocking is handled by being in a neutral position, facing the opponent.

There are no stances in the game, that is a bit limiting I agree. But I'm not aware of any game on the market that you can play which offers all that Examina does along with stances. We're still a long ways off from a truly authentic depiction of medieval combat, it's very difficult to capture in a game.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

combat looks fun to play around with its on sale on steam right now as well its only $12

To be honest, I've spent most of my time in the arena mode. The devs did a huge update a few months back that completely overhauled the arena, which can practically be its own game now. There are different fight types (duels, elimination, fists), a bunch of different arenas, and you earn money to buy new weapons and armor, plus gain skills as you progress.

Yort

The controls as described and your character automatically blocking sounds a bit like the old Jedi Knight games.

To be honest, I've spent most of my time in the arena mode. The devs did a huge update a few months back that completely overhauled the arena, which can practically be its own game now. There are different fight types (duels, elimination, fists), a bunch of different arenas, and you earn money to buy new weapons and armor, plus gain skills as you progress.

This sounds great.

Looks amazing and no two fights would be the same, which can go a long way in keeping a game fresh. Most games with melee get old after seeing all the attacks for the 100th time.

Exanima is great but it would be much much better if it was drunken bar fights instead of medieval since that's what it looks like 99% of the time until you master the controls.

KKRT00

I'm waiting for the full game, but the whole concept of physically based combat is really awesome and i'm glad that this game exist.
Also their lighting engine is really great.

Dex815

It is really fun indeed. And just a few days ago a new patch was released, adding a new HUGE level for the story mode (as big as all others combined!), new features and fixes.

Are they still planning to leverage the profits from Exanima to make a larger RPG built on the same systems? I remember hearing that a year or so ago.

The main game that they are working on (Sui Generis) is an open world with a non linear story. To help fund the whole development process they released this Exanima, a shorter game (still in early access) in which they want to add all the basic features of Sui Generis, like physics based combat and puzzles. item randomization, magic combat (not included yet in the alpha), etc. There are 3 game modes in Exanima, a practice mode, an arena and the story, which has linear dungeon levels with a bit of item randomization on them.

Everyone should give it a try, the combat is so satisfying when you block/dodge a few attacks and then deal a fatal blow! :)

Oh, and the music is awesome!

Digby

Neo Member
This is a brilliant game. The combat is chaotic and unpredictable, and when you land a skull smashing blow with a hammer...so awesome.

I've played this since it was first released on steam. Is come a long way. Totally worth the price and I would pay triple for the full RPG they have planned.

Top Bottom