• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exanima has the best medieval combat in gaming (GIFs)

Moff

never heard of this, looks very good
I hope it doesn't take too long to release, I don't really like early access

Exanima has the best melee combat in aRPGs period, I've been beating that drum for a good long while. It has retroactively ruined ruined other games for me.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Animation on the top 4 gifs look great. Those look like what you would put forward as medieval "realistic" combat to sell the game to people as the step and weight to everything looks good and the impacts all look solid and heavy and most importantly the footwork/momentum as you mentioned all look correct and human and accurate.

The bottom gif fails to do the same thing for me. I think mostly because everything you'll ever read says spinning/turning and essentially presenting your back to an opponent in any fashion is pretty much never actually done/recommended no? The normal gameplay speed and somewhat clunky flow doesn't translate to looking like two humans with flaws and heavy armor and big ass weapons letting weapons get away from them.. it looks more like someone fighting against the controls and perhaps finding that it's faster in the game to simply make a full turn and follow through on a large swing rather than re-balance and ready for another proper attack.

those killing blows though? especially the hammer... wow. That's good shit.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
No controller support... :( Well damn.

Yeah, this seems to be the real problem that makes it feel "wrong". The feet in the game seem to move as a result of the body moving, not the other way around. Much of the sluggishness of realistic combat comes from the momentum of moving around, pushing with your legs. This looks more like floating, with the legs doing nothing but trying desperately to maintain the illusion of true physicality.
Yes I agree, it looks off to me. Game could still be fun despite that but as a fencer that bothers me. xD

Pick up a 20KG weight bar and swing that around for 5 minutes. You'll be flailing around like your pissed as well.
That's... not what they were talking about, but in any case, 20kg is ridiculously excessive weight. They aren't swinging Guts' sword or anything. :p

But in your very first gif, one guy swings his sword through his own head:

PerfectBriefComet.gif
Yeeesh, yeah that's bad clipping.

Animation on the top 4 gifs look great. Those look like what you would put forward as medieval "realistic" combat to sell the game to people as the step and weight to everything looks good and the impacts all look solid and heavy and most importantly the footwork/momentum as you mentioned all look correct and human and accurate.

The bottom gif fails to do the same thing for me. I think mostly because everything you'll ever read says spinning/turning and essentially presenting your back to an opponent in any fashion is pretty much never actually done/recommended no? The normal gameplay speed and somewhat clunky flow doesn't translate to looking like two humans with flaws and heavy armor and big ass weapons letting weapons get away from them.. it looks more like someone fighting against the controls and perhaps finding that it's faster in the game to simply make a full turn and follow through on a large swing rather than re-balance and ready for another proper attack.

those killing blows though? especially the hammer... wow. That's good shit.
Depends on the weapon you're wielding and what your enemy has. If you have a great sword, letting the momentum carry you to try and spin through for a really powerful hit can work in your favor, but if you're up against an enemy who can attack fast or can thrust effectively or if that spin will make your attack hit his shielded side, turning your back won't end well.

Those kills came from these videos I found:
Exanima Brutal Kills Volume 1, 2, 3

But is there dismemberment?
Not yet. But there is dynamic blood stains on your clothes and body from where you got struck, and your weapons get bloody when you land strikes

But dismemberment is planned, although devs say it will likely only be a cosmetic addition for killing blows

Lead

Banned
Pick up a 20KG weight bar and swing that around for 5 minutes. You'll be flailing around like your pissed as well.
This might come as a surprise to you, but real practical swords actually rarely weights more than 3kg, even extremely large ones.

The norm is more in the 1.5-2.5kg range for long swords.

Also while armor is heavy and exhausting, if the armor is properly fitted to you, you're not going to feel the weight that much, and a full plate of armor is actually in the 20-30kg range.

mcz117chief

This might come as a surprise to you, but real practical swords actually rarely weights more than 3kg, even extremely large ones.

The norm is more in the 1.5-2.5kg range for long swords.

So what about 8kg swords? Have you ever used something as large?

Lead

Banned
So what about 8kg swords? Have you ever used something as large?
No, the heaviest sword I've wielded was a albion longsword and that weighted I think 1.5kgs.

For reference a katana is usually in the 1kg-1.5kg range.

Swords are not heavy and ungainly, that's a very common misconception.

I train with an 18th century Hungarian style sabre that weight 1.2kgs.

mcz117chief

No, the heaviest sword I've wielded was a albion longsword and that weighted I think 1.5kgs.

For reference a katana is usually in the 1kg-1.5kg range.

Swords are not heavy and ungainly, that's a very common misconception.

Yeah, that is why most games don't have good melee combat, with few exceptions like Shadow Warrior and Killing Floor. For example Mount and Blade is a good game but everybody is swinging their weapons like they are underwater :(

Lead

Banned
Yeah, that is why most games don't have good melee combat, with few exceptions like Shadow Warrior and Killing Floor. For example Mount and Blade is a good game but everybody is swinging their weapons like they are underwater :(
I assume most games makes melee combat slower because it takes extra time to react to block as you have to input it when your brain process it. In real life it just happens on instinct if trained enough.

mcz117chief

I assume most games makes melee combat slower because it takes extra time to react to block as you have to input it when your brain process it. In real life it just happens on instinct if trained enough.

Right, it is hard to recreate that in games, but for example Blade Symphony kind of works, you might want to take a look at that.

I find it conceptually interesting but I don't agree that it's the best medieval combat in gaming.

While it's more arcade, based on the E3 and PSX playables For Honor looks like it will take that crown from my perspective.

I think 9/10 strikes in Exanima looks really bad, especially as the feet do not move right.

I Don't get it, the feet are the last thing you'd be worried when trying to figure out this combat system. Either way, the animations look pretty realistic to me.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Footwork is really bad, but torso\weapon movement is great.
Physics ftw.

Also, that's not Monster Hunter.

Hoo-doo

Banned
No way... the combat doesn't look too good IMO. It'll be years before we get a proper decent combat system in a game like that.

A sword does not weigh 20 kilograms. It weighs a fraction of that, probably averaging at around 2-4 pounds.

Not only does this game have some amazing combat, the graphics are top-notch as well. Combat, physics, graphics, everything just comes together so well. It's a very unique experience.

And Exanima is only a prelude to the real game, Sui Generis, which just makes me even more excited.

It's a very tough game to learn to control, but I've had some of the most intense and satisfying moments in gaming during combat in this game once I got the hang of it.

I have tons of faith in these guys, I've followed them since the kickstarter first popped up, they've been working non-stop and the main guy is also very active in his own streaming channel. He talks in the chat pretty much every day, and also streams dev stuff every once in a while.

How is that coming along? Is it a fun playable game yet or is it still in rough condition?
I follow them on Facebook. Seems like they're slowly but surely chugging along. They have demos for the media and gameplay videos.

The biggest awkward aspect is the voice acting, but I think I read they said that the current shit we've seen isn't the final VA as that comes later in the process.

Well there are also like a hundred more cues you can react to in reality. The look in the opponent's eyes, his breathing pattern, his foot positioning, his weight balance, a slight foot shift, a ton of tiny little things that we can't or wouldn't want to replicate in games, which are by nature an abstraction.

drotahorror

This game recently got updated with a whole new environment, new animations and physics etc.

Exanima is amazing.

Anyone on the fence should get it. The Gladiator Arena mode is amazing and addictive.

The animation and physics looks amazing, but how will it actually control?
You move with WSAD, switch weapons with R, and modify swings into thrusts with ALT. The speed and angle of your strikes is all controlled with the mouse, you can feint with quick clicks, perform downward strikes with a double click. It offers a lot of variability and movement also affects your strikes, like stepping forward in tandem adds more power and heft behind your blow.

One really satisfying thing in this game is in the Practice Arena, going back to the novice fights with your better weapons and heavy armor, just tanking hits that would have used to do serious damage and destroying those enemies in a few strikes

Got this recently thanks to this thread, I find the in game tutorial painfully barren though, I can't even figure out how to pick up a torch!

Any videos or tutorials floating around the net that explains the mechanics better?

Got this recently thanks to this thread, I find the in game tutorial painfully barren though, I can't even figure out how to pick up a torch!

Any videos or tutorials floating around the net that explains the mechanics better?
In the settings menu, there's a quick guide to explains the finer details.

But either way, if you search Exanima tutorial on YouTube, there are a lot of videos

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
The sound is good but the feet issue and perspective are weird for me.

It seems like this top down view tried to mask the unnatural movements of the models.

The attack animation s feel like they have weight but the getting hit animations do not have the same amount of weight which compared the believability.

What I've seen of For Honor is leaps and bounds ahead of this.

Top Bottom