• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wearing Crocs is bad and you should feel bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As in they'll ruin your feet.

Huffington Post said:
“Unfortunately Crocs are not suitable for all-day use,” Dr. Megan Leahy, a Chicago-based podiatrist with the Illinois Bone and Joint Institute, told HuffPost. While she granted that they “offer nice arch support,” she added that the real reason you shouldn’t wear them over long periods of time is that “these shoes do not adequately secure the heel. When the heel is unstable, toes tend to grip which can lead to tendinitis, worsening of toe deformities, nail problems, corns and calluses. The same thing can happen with flip flops or any backless shoes as the heel is not secured.”

Dr. Alex Kor, the president of the American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine, told HuffPost that the most important feature in any shoe is the shank, the supportive structure between the heel and the toe. “Patients are more likely to have foot pain if their shoes bend in the shank,” said Kor.

Crocs, according to Kor, “are the ‘poster child’ for shoes with a flexible shank. ... In other words, on a daily basis, I see patients who come into my office complaining of arch or heel pain and they are wearing Crocs,” he said.“The only two types of patients that may benefit from wearing Crocs are patients that have a very high arch or those who suffer from excessive edema of their legs and ankle,” Kor said. “But, under no circumstances can I suggest wearing Crocs 8 to 10 hours per day.”

DSCN3386.JPG

Dennis

Banned
I admit I read the title as "Wearing Cross" and thought here we go.

But yeah, Crocs are a crime against fashion, decency and humanity.

Food therapists ruined Five-Fingers. I WANTED A PAIR. I wanted a pair so fucking bad, but now its over. One bad scientific review and the whole fad was over. THEY LOOK SO CREEPY. I LOVE IT.

imagine going out at night with these on only wearing banana in pyjamas speedos and a gas mask. greased up, ready for throbbin nightclub party time.

In my experience, all shoes are uncomfortable except Sketchers, because Sketchers are wide at the toes. All other shoes are narrow at the toes and crush at least two of my toes on each foot. And, unfortunately, Sketchers are no longer in style. (If they ever were.)

In my experience, all shoes are uncomfortable except Sketchers, because Sketchers are wide at the toes. All other shoes are narrow at the toes and crush at least two of my toes on each foot. And, unfortunately, Sketchers are no longer in style. (If they ever were.)

For a brief period in 8th grade circa 1996.

Have you ever considered it is not the shoe's fault, you just have freakishly wide feet?

The same thing can happen with flip flops or any backless shoes as the heel is not secured.”

Bah, entire civilizations survived on sandals and minimal footwear. Dr. Kor probably wears boots to the beach too.

Machine

...and buried in the article is this little nugget:

The same thing can happen with flip flops

I hate flip flops more than crocs. I'd love to see flip flops go back to only being seen at beaches and public showers and stay there.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Holy shit they have some Crocodile shoes over 10 grand. I would never even wear shoes if they cost that much, then again I know people who do just that with sneakers. An old college room mate had an entire closet full from floor to ceiling and wall to wall with shoe boxes full of expensive sneakers and he wore the same ratty pair 99% of the time.

Miggytronz

Someone should inform my people of Puerto Rico about this.

My cousin I swear to you has a everyday daily set. And to my surprise has a set just for special events. Blew my mind.

TomServo

Wearing these basically broadcasts to people that you make poor life decisions.

Our office went pretty much full casual a few months ago... one of the software engineers in his 20's went full... well, you judge his new work uniform:

- Ironic t-shirt
- Cargo shorts
- Bright blue crocs
- Fedora

Holy shit they have some Crocodile shoes over 10 grand. I would never even wear shoes if they cost that much, then again I know people who do just that with sneakers. An old college room mate had an entire closet full from floor to ceiling and wall to wall with shoe boxes full of expensive sneakers and he wore the same ratty pair 99% of the time.

They're a bespoke shoemaker, so they're starting the whole process around your particular feet. The last that the shoes are (hand)made on is custom made from your feet.

Whenever I feel guilty about my small collection of Allen Edmonds, I check out that page :p

TomServo

I call BS.

I am not fucking kidding you.

We're in Florida, so when the dress code loosened, a lot of the engineers went out and bought "dress" shorts... weird shit that looks like you cut off some wool trousers at the knees, crease and all. Then they realized that the office is kept pretty chilly because most of us still maintain business casual, so now they're back to jeans because they were freezing.

The crocs + fedora guy is keeping on though.

At least he's not the guy with the beer belly that wears untucked polos a size or two too small, meaning his belly hangs out of the bottom of his shirt.

HStallion

They're a bespoke shoemaker, so they're starting the whole process around your particular feet. The last that the shoes are (hand)made on is custom made from your feet.

Whenever I feel guilty about my small collection of Allen Edmonds, I check out that page :p

On a very random note I worked with a shoe maker and repair for a few months one summer. It was actually really interesting and fulfilling work but I enjoy working with my hands. Have considered maybe getting back into it and not entirely sure why haha.

Crocs wearers; love yourself a bit more and get soludos or something. A jute sole is like walking on carpet and espadrilles provide an air of casual class without any effort.

Espadrilles-black.png

Tobor

I wear Crocs, but the Santa Cruz model. They don't look like Crocs so I can get away with it fashion wise and they grip the heel. Super comfortable.

4B7E074B-20B7-45B4-AA85-ADC5275C2A79_zps9wtbmiwc.jpg

I've had several pairs of these and highly recommend them.

HStallion

I wear Crocs, but the Santa Cruz model. They don't look like Crocs so I can get away with it fashion wise and they grip the heel. Super comfortable.

4B7E074B-20B7-45B4-AA85-ADC5275C2A79_zps9wtbmiwc.jpg

I've had several pairs of these and highly recommend them.

I've got several pairs of shoes like this. Great for the spring and summer time though my feet sweat a lot so I cant pull off the sockless look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom