• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps3 bricked?

Ludens

Banned
So, thanks to Sony with the Yakuza 5 fixing, my PS3 bricked (I think).
I was downloading Yakuza 5 while the PS3 froze, and I think this is because Sony was fixing the Yakuza 5 glitch.
Since the PS3 was stuck and I couldn't do nothing, I powered it off by unplugging it.
First, when it booted, I had a black screen with nothing else.
After this, I managed to boot it and it asked me to select HDMI.
I did it, and it started to rebuild database. This one hour ago, and it's stuck on 32% no matter what.
How can I solve this? Is there a way to format the HDD, since I can't access the recovering mode?

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Walk away and leg that rebuild run. Can take a long time. It's your only hope.

I don't know, maybe the console froze when they revoked access to the game, and I was downloading it so maybe that caused the issue.

If the database rebuild doesn't work, then you'll most likely have to reformat the HDD. RIP saves.

If the PS3 is turning on, you're in much better shape than it seems. You'll just have to erase everything.

Rellik

i dont think sony fixing the price of Yakuza bricked your console.

Maybe not, but I would like to add that when I went to the store to download it, I got a maintenance error and it hard locked my PS3. Everything was fine when I reset it though.

If the database rebuild doesn't work, then you'll most likely have to reformat the HDD. RIP saves.

If the PS3 is turning on, you're in much better shape than it seems. You'll just have to erase everything.

He can upload his saves to the cloud.

Tarrin

Let the database rebuild. It looks stuck, but chances are it is working.

Happened to me many times. It'll get stuck for a hour or even several, then complete.

Ludens

Banned

Eh, but how can I format my hdd? I have no access to recovery mode. Also, how can I deactivate the system? I can't do that from Sony's site, since I did it less than six months ago (being afraid of those hackers, so I disabled the possibility to activate my Ps4 as primary on other accounts).

Saves are not important, I already have a back-up of all my data on Cloud, and I was playing nothing on Ps3.

sensui-tomo

I don't know, maybe the console froze when they revoked access to the game, and I was downloading it so maybe that caused the issue.

doesnt work like that, it'd have revoked the license (akin to the same ps+ titles) once it'd be done downloading/installing, its something else.

Eh, but how can I format my hdd? I have no access to recovery mode. Also, how can I deactivate the system? I can't do that from Sony's site, since I did it less than six months ago (being afraid of those hackers, so I disabled the possibility to activate my Ps4 as primary on other accounts).

Saves are not important, I already have a back-up of all my data on Cloud, and I was playing nothing on Ps3.

You can't enter safe mode?

horkrux

Follow these steps to enter recovery mode:

1. Turn off Playstation®3.
2. Hold The power button down; The system will turn on and turn off once again.
3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
5. You will be promted to plug in your controller via usb and then hit the PS button
6. The Recovery menu will pop up.

My PS3 just freezes at boot up. It goes through the entire rebuild data base and everything. Resets and restarts like it's going to work, and then just freezes on the waves screen.

I was going to use it to trade in for another Ps4 :-(

Ludens

Banned
My PS3 just freezes at boot up. It goes through the entire rebuild data base and everything. Resets and restarts like it's going to work, and then just freezes on the waves screen.

I was going to use it to trade in for another Ps4 :-(

Did you download the latest firmware? Because today I downloaded 4.80, and this happened.
Oh, and the PS3 is pretty new, it's out of warrantry, yeah, but I only used it to play Kingdom Hearts 2.5 last year, I never played anything else on it. The HDD is new too, bought it on Amazon around the same time I played KH2.5 because the Ps3 is a superspli with 12gb memory.
EDIT: I managed to access safe mode finally, and I selected a factory reset. That's the format, right? Of course I couldn't deactivate the PS3, what can happen now?

Its not the first time Sony have put the wrong game on PS+. a few years ago they put NBA2k on all the Euro stores [and i dont think they revoked the licences for it] for a bit. that was supposed to be only on the middle eastern stores because of some issue with one of the other games. and they have had some other games they have messed up with. I think there was one earlier this year for a different PS3 game.

NewDust

If you can not get past the rebuilding and want to format the hdd, pull out the hdd and put in your pc and format it through disk management. If you don't have a pc or don't know how, bring it to a pc shop and ask them to format it, any decent shop would do that free of charge.

I'm not sure if you can access the OS without hdd, you might if you have the 12gb model. Otherwise deactivate all systems from the Sony account site.

Edit seems you got it reset to factory

EDIT: I managed to access safe mode finally, and I selected a factory reset. That's the format, right? Of course I couldn't deactivate the PS3, what can happen now?

Your system is still active as it should be. You should only deactivate when your system becomes obsolete (sell/broken) or reached the maximum amount of active systems and want to access your account on another machine.

Ludens

Banned
If you can not get past the rebuilding and want to format the hdd, pull out the hdd and put in your pc and format it through disk management. If you don't have a pc or don't know how, bring it to a pc shop and ask them to format it, any decent shop would do that free of charge.

I'm not sure if you can access the OS without hdd, you might if you have the 12gb model. Otherwise deactivate all systems from the Sony account site.

As I wrote, I managed to get into safe mode and select Factory Reset (which also should format the hdd), but I don't know how long does it take.

Did you download the latest firmware? Because today I downloaded 4.80, and this happened.
Oh, and the PS3 is pretty new, it's out of warrantry, yeah, but I only used it to play Kingdom Hearts 2.5 last year, I never played anything else on it. The HDD is new too, bought it on Amazon around the same time I played KH2.5 because the Ps3 is a superspli with 12gb memory.
I dunno man...I think it’s updated to the latest, last time I tried to turn it on was a month ago.

Top Bottom