• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Beyond |OT| Out of the Darkness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick

Banned
qBO7wZh.png

J8aNvTA.png

xlp9ptI.png

Te5LCSS.png

Quick

Banned
Ayy, I (sorta) got into the OP! Good job as always, Quick.

Thanks. I meant to post this on the weekend, but better late than never. :p

Can't wait for it!! one of your banners has a typo though. :p

That's what I get for copy/pasting a quote. I noticed it right as I scrolled through it. lol

Not a Quick OT without starting off with typos.

Side note: I was listening to the Speed Racer soundtrack while making this. Giacchino da gawd.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I saw this was at like 93% on RT. Wtf? Didn't this movie have production issues or something?

Zousi

Stylish OT! Reviews seem to be pointing towards some good Trek entertainment. Would be nice after that previous misstep. Star Trek as an franchise deserves to be among the best of them.

Saw this a few hours ago, and as I said in the spoiler thread:

I didn't think the climax was as exciting as the first or the second movie, nor did it have something jawdropping like the warp tunnel sequence in Into Darkness.

But overall, fun, exciting; felt like a really long episode tbh.

ron_bato

Watched it yesterday and I loved it. At first, I wasn't too into it, as I felt that it started out really slow and I thought it lacked the charm of the previous 2 movies, but that changed around a fourth of the way in
I felt the movie hit it stride after they were attacked by Kroll and the characters were given room to interact with each other in their small groups before eventually meeting up.

The dialogue and the acting was great, the action sequences were fun, with one standing out the most IMO
the rescue sequence in particular, with Kirk on the bike was really fun.
. I enjoyed Bones the most in this movie
his moments with Spock were excellent - the line 'you gave your ex-girlfriend a tracking device' slayed me
, with Scotty being second in terms of characters I enjoyed the most.

Overall, really enjoyed it and would recommend it to anybody.

Pretty damn good honestly. If you weren't a fan of the other two then you probably won't enjoy this one. It was very fun to watch imo however.

This was actually the first bad 3d experience I had. There are a lot of dark (lots of shadows and such) scenes and my projector's brightness was too low to see sometimes.

RS4-

Movie was a lot of fun. Better than STID which isn't saying much. Great humor and loved the interaction and chemistry with the smaller groups.

Edit - I too had some weird issues with the Imax screening. Some weird cross talk at times and it was pretty dark

obin_gam

Watching it as a matiné today in a couple of hours.

Anything after the credits? Should I stay or should I go?

I'm going to see this this afternoon. Really looking forward to it and not just because it will get me out of this heat for a couple of hours.

EDIT: Wait, Elba is the badguy in this? How did I miss that?

Dougald

I'm cautiously optimistic as it seems like it might be more like an actual episode of Star Trek, rather than yet another "giant ship is going to blow up Earth, which is apparently the centre of the galaxy". Still looks action-heavy but I guess that's just movie trek.

I only enjoyed the opening montage of into darkness, so I can't see how this could possibly be worse.

DBT85

Looking forward to it, got my tickets booked for Friday afternoon. Missus and I rewatched 2009 last night and will do Into Darkness tonight. I enjoyed both though so I'm one of those weirdos.

S1kkZ

saw it yesterday, really liked it. much better than into darkness, slightly worse than st2009 (i think beyond is a better film with a much better script, but it has some pacing issues and doesnt flow as well).

it feels much more star trek than the last two and justin lin did a great job. the film looks fucking amazing at times.

bones is fantastic in this.

Bluth54

I'm seeing a lot of positive impressions from the Star Trek subreddit which is a good sign. I don't go to the movie theater very often (usually just one or two movies a year at the most) but I'll probably be going with my Dad next weekend, since we're both big Star Trek fans and he's out of town this weekend.

It's really good. The best description I can think of is that it's a really good version of Star Trek Insurrection, through a nuTrek filter.

Dougald

It's really good. The best description I can think of is that it's a really good version of Star Trek Insurrection, through a nuTrek filter.

This is really positive for me. I liked the premise of insurrection and it really felt like a long episode of TNG, the only problem was the execution wasn't very good.

Grazzt

Just finished. Loved it. The climax reminds me of Macross, and the space station is very similar to Mass Effect's Citadel.

RangerX

Banned
Watching it as a matiné today in a couple of hours.

Anything after the credits? Should I stay or should I go?

Slightly off topic but why do people keep asking this about every film now? Marvel films are the only ones that have ever done this, with maybe one or two exceptions.

Busty

Banned
Everything I read on here and Twitter etc is positive but I know people (who are Trek fans themselves) who were utterly indifferent to the film.

I have a feeling that this is going to be just as divisive as Abrams other Trek films.

I'm going to check it out tomorrow morning regardless.

Everything I read on here and Twitter etc is positive but I know people (who are Trek fans themselves) who were utterly indifferent to the film.

I have a feeling that this is going to be just as divisive as Abrams other Trek films.

I'm going to check it out tomorrow morning regardless.

Receipts? I've heard nothing but positive reviews.

Gonna catch it tonight, very excited it's received well.

Busty

Banned
Receipts? I've heard nothing but positive reviews.

Gonna catch it tonight, very excited it's received well.

Anecdotal I know but I only came to like ST 09 after multiple home viewings and STiD is absolute fucking garbage no matter how many times I ever watch it.

I suppose I'm exactly the sort of viewer that Paramount wants to attract more of with this Trek film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom