• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should one of Nintendo's next mobile game be a Super Mario endless runner?

zallaaa

They could quite easily repurpose Super Mario Bros levels to be finished with single taps and movement could be mapped to the gyroscope They could sell worlds 2 to 8 as DLCs and leave the first one free.
It seems easy money.

maxcriden

They've already said they won't just port titles. I also think an endless runner version of SMB goes against everything Nintendo has said about their philosophy regarding making games.

Shiggy

Why not? Sounds already more fun than Miitomo. And people didn't say "no, why did they waste resources on that shit" when it was released either.

Woffls

Noooopppeeeee

Just a thought: level editor that syncs up with the NX version of Mario Maker? Then you can watch an AI run through the level to test it. Would that work? I've not played Mario Maker.

vareon

They should lift Flappy Bird's assets and make a clone.

In all seriousness, their next mobile game is Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing. Fire Emblem has all it need to be a gacha mobile RPG that is on the rage in Japan (think Granblue Fantasy, Fate/Grand Order) while Animal Crossing can be a mobile sim title that is popular in the West.

Of course this being Nintendo, they could try something weird with these titles.

fhqwhgads

Nintendo has been pretty adamant that their mobile games aren't going to cheap clones with a Nintendo IP slapped on. If there's going to be a Mario game on mobile, it'll probably be a Mario vs Donkey Kong title.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wouldn't Balloon Trip be a better example? It basically was the endless runner of the day (though obviously with more control).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The business model for endless runners is not that you have some levels for free and most cost money; it's that you charge people money for respawns, coin doublers, items, skins, etc. You don't want someone's maximum possible investment in your game to be $4.99 or whatever, you want it to be basically unbounded.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
There are a bajillion endless runners already and there is not much you can do with that formula. So....no.

WaterAstro

You know, I kinda liked this Mario game, so why not?

VQIZ4Jr.jpg

jdstorm

Banned
No because Mario would work better as an angry birds clone.

The Legend of Zelda: Water Temple Run would be great though

CloakBass

This sounds uncharacteristically uninspired for how I expect Nintendo to utilize the Mario IP when they finally bring it to mobile.

ramparter

Banned
Yes but only if it meant reinventing the genre, because Nintendo can actually do that.
No pay to continue where you lost crap, no one stage endless crap. World map with levels and fresh ideas.

They could quite easily repurpose Super Mario Bros levels to be finished with single taps and movement could be mapped to the gyroscope They could sell worlds 2 to 8 as DLCs and leave the first one free.
It seems easy money.

This is an awful idea and literally what Nintendo feared when talking about "devaluing" their franchises

zallaaa

They could make it a challenge: left-hand tap jumps, right-hand tap on enemies to stomp them, reach the end of the level while speed increases with time.

HeelPower

Much can be done with this genre.If Nintendo creates a Mario runner it will be a much superior refinement/overhaul of this formula.

Bazry

I think Donkey Kong Country would make more sense as a runner game than Mario, the mechanics would adapt themselves way better than Mario's precision platforming. You could hold down the screen for grabbing onto vines and overhead sections, then have cart and Rhino levels which themselves would work well in a runner game

Busaiku

Pokémon Shuffle has shown that going for a crowded genre on mobile will not lead to major success.
There are almost half a dozen Pokémon games on mobile, but only Pokémon Go is really successful.

Nintendo has to offer an experience that people haven't already devoted years/tons of money into.

They could quite easily repurpose Super Mario Bros levels to be finished with single taps and movement could be mapped to the gyroscope

this is like that Kotaku article where the dude went on and on about how perfect Mario would be if it were controlled only with a Macbook trackpad

amdb00mer

No, but I think a mobile version of Mario Maker would work well and be lucrative. They could even allow sharing of user created levels across platforms as well.

Top Bottom