• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has sold the Mariners for $661 million

antonz

Not too bad of an investment for Nintendo. They paid roughly 75 million or so of the 100 million to buy the mariners in 92.

NeOak

Not too bad of an investment for Nintendo. They paid roughly 75 million or so of the 100 million to buy the mariners in 92.

$75,000,000.00 in 1992 had the same buying power as $128,639,412.62 in 2016.

Yup, they made money.

Says "portion". How much portion? All?

45% of their 55% stake apparently.

I had no idea Nintendo had a stake in the mariners, much less a majority one. Then again I've never really been into baseball outside or playing it when I was young.

Erevador

Nice that Nintendo will have some more cash on hand to spend on those things that intrigue GAF more than baseball (if you can believe that's possible).

UraMallas

UK guy here. What did they do advertising wise. Just stadium banners?

They did all sorts of stuff but really I mean that they weren't interested in winning baseball games, they were interested in getting people into the stadium. They were running the team like you would run a part of your business. It was just part of their portfolio and you could tell. Sports teams can't win like that. I will forever be grateful to Yamauchi for keeping the M's in Seattle, though. Nobody else was willing to step up.

Kojima returns to making games for Nintendo. Uses all 600 million for an NX tech demo/preview to full game slated for 2025 release on Virtual Boy 2.

Also, I don't follow baseball, but how good a team are the Mariners?

Since the turn of the century, the Mariners have had one good season - 2001. They were considered one of the greatest regular season teams in baseball history - didn't even make the World Series. Since then, they've been terrible. No playoff appearances since.

This year they do have a shot though. I actually think they'll sneak in via the Wild Card.

antonz

Never sell a baseball team. Sounds crazy. Wonder if they really needed the cash.

They never actually wanted the team. It was a good will gesture by Yamauchi to the Seattle area whose business leaders came to him about helping keep the team in the city. The consortium Nintendo partnered with got someone willing to buy up most of Nintendo's interest in the team so they get to back out mostly and walk away with 500 million or so in profits.

UraMallas

They never actually wanted the team. It was a good will gesture by Yamauchi to the Seattle area whose business leaders came to him about helping keep the team in the city. The consortium Nintendo partnered with got someone willing to buy up most of Nintendo's interest in the team so they get to back out mostly and walk away with 500 million or so in profits.

This is exactly correct. Yamauchi never saw a single game, supposedly. He definitely never went to a game in person.

Surely that's more than enough to buyout at least one dev maybe? How much did Monolith cost Nintendo again?

Or didn't they say it'd go into their non-gaming initiatives like theme parks or whatnot? I forget.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Today i learned Nintendo owned a Baseball team.
kengriffeyjrcovers.jpg

Top Bottom