• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island 2 has sold more than 3 million units since launch

Draugoth

Gold Member
dead-island-2-1-1536x864.jpg

Embracer Group $EMBRAC has announced this milestone in their financial report.Dead Island 2 has been played by over 7 million people, including Xbox Game Pass subscribers.

In its fourth quarter and full-year fiscal report for 2024, The Embracer Group announced that Dead Island 2 has sold over three million units. It launched last year on April 21st, 2023, with over two million sales by May. This was after nearly a decade of delays, multiple developers and at least one major reboot.

KaiserBecks

Congrats to the developers. I haven’t played it, but after the development hell this game went through I expected it to bomb.

amigastar

Is that good? I've read somewhere that AAA games have to sell about 10 Millions to be considered successful.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

It's amazing how well the game turned out to be after its long and troubled development cycle.
Honestly it's really impressive. We've seen many a game go through development hell and barely make it out at the end. I was shocked this was as enjoyable as it was.

xrnzaaas

Good result, one of the most fun games I've played in the last few years, way more fun than Dying Light 2 despite much lower production values. I'll be definitely picking up Dead Island 3 from the same team.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Gold Member
Glad to hear Dead Island 2 ultimately ended with success, considering all of behind the scenes schenanigans

TheUsual

Gold Member
Looks like DamBuster will be adding more content down the line. They announced on X they've had over 7 million players (so big on Gamepass???) and will announce update plans in the coming months.

Game is great fun. Just scratched an itch I didn't know I even had.

Kupfer

Amazing game, my GOTY 2023.
It's pure stupid fun slasher with nice gore-tech and moody atmophere.
Okay, what a ride. Finished it some days ago, took me like 25ish hours for the campaign and another like 10 hours to clean up and get the platin trophy. All in all 35hours which didn't feel too long or wasted.
This is my GOTY so far. Great slasher, I got what I expected. Way more fun to play than the first Dead Island or Riptide, even solo. Some missions are top notch with a dense atmosphere, some are just silly and trashy, but I took them with a smirk.
A game you can play from start to finish without a single bug, without an ingame store or stupid MTX.
This just felt old-school.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Is that good? I've read somewhere that AAA games have to sell about 10 Millions to be considered successful.

Spiderman 2 had budget that was shockingly high, and that had a break even at something like 7-8m copies. So this has likely done pretty well.

On topic, this game is good. I played it on Gamepass and bought the DLC (haven't played the second piece yet but the first one was substantial enough - would recommend to players who liked the base campaign).

Last edited:

poodaddy

Good for them. I was very excited for the game, and I'm glad I got to play it through Gamepass. Incredible gore system and it's a damn nice looking game, great achievement. I must begrudgingly admit that I got bored of it after ten hours and just dropped it, but it was a decent time and I'm happy for the devs and their success. If you like first person brawlers and gore, this game is a must, just be aware that the gameplay loop doesn't really change and can get old fairly quickly.

Top Bottom