• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Battlefield 4 Retrospect

Mahonay

Banned
With the BF1 open beta starting tomorrow, I figured it would be a good time to look back on NeoGAF's time with Battlefield 4 over these past 3 years.

With an unacceptably rough launch in the Fall of 2013 (severe server connection issues, one shot kill bug, full game crashes, sound bugs, nearly broken netcode, numerous balance issues, etc.), it goes with out saying that Battlefield 4 has come a very long way to get where it is today. After DICE moved over to work on Battlefront, DICE LA picked up the slack immediately, fixing a majority of the issues with BF4 using the CTE test server program, adding a slew of new UI features, implementing higher tick-rate servers, and some incredibly solid DLC maps. And over the past month or two, in a slow drip, they've released each DLC pack completely for free, injecting the game with another surge of players at the tail end of it's life.

What BF4 accomplishments are you most proud of? What moments stick out in your mind the most?

This is the spot to share your Battlelog stats and BF4 videos/gifs. I'd be happy to compile overall stats for GAF players and update the OP with the results for anyone that posts their Battlelog soldier profile here, to see what the stats of NeoGAF as a whole look like.
My Battlelog stats page
My stupid BF4 video

fOe2eAt.jpg

Been playing it since launch on/off, and pretty much every day lately for a game or two. I like to shoot the admin's choppers out the sky with my tank...always a fun time. I have tons of videos that I need to make a compilation out of and upload to YT.

WoolyNinja

It was my first Battlefield game. Probably 300+ hours of being extremely mediocre. But now I'm definitely in for Battlefield 1 as BF4 is the only online shooter I've ever enjoyed and I want more of it.

Finally having true 64 player conquest on console (at sometimes 60fps) is one of the most amazing things ever and still is one of the best shooters this generation.

Mahonay

Banned
Prefer BFBC2, Hardline and BF3 but 4 was alright I guess.
I'm curious if they'll ever follow through on Bad Company 3, since DICE has said before that they are not done with the series.

Bad Company 2 definitely felt the smoothest and most satisfying gameplay wise out of any Battlefield game for me.
Finally having true 64 player conquest on console (at sometimes 60fps) is one of the most amazing things ever and still is one of the best shooters this generation.
As a console player, this was big for me as well.

Grisby

Man, remember the giant bomb goty (?) podcast where Jeff G listed all of those bugs?

Never played much of the MP, but I thought the SP was infinitely better than 3's. Not like a super high bar, but there were some fun parts to it (I liked piloting the tank around during that crazy ass weather storm).

I'm hoping BF1 is another step up in the SP department.

The framerate on 64-player conquest Siege of Shanghai (PS4) is fine until some asshole decides to bring down the skyscraper, then the framerate turns to shit as it's falling down and never returns to how stable it was. Ugh.

But yeah, totally agree, it's the only shooter released this gen that I still play often.

Nyx

Clocked over 200 hours of multiplayer on PS4, most of the times with up to 3 friends.

Had a blast after the initial problems.

Mahonay

Banned
Clocked over 200 hours of multiplayer on PS4, most of the times with up to 3 friends.

Had a blast after the initial problems.
Having a pool of friends that regularly play this game has been wonderful. I almost always have a full squad at my disposal and it makes such a huge difference in your overall Battlefield experience.

JZA

If you flip over these 5 cards, my opinion on BF4 might be on one of them.

J/k it'll be 4 50% boosts and a camo.

I wish I would have played it more. The launch was a complete mess and I didn't really put that much time into it because of that. I stopped playing around the time Naval Strike came out. I'm not going to make the same mistake with BF 1.

Decent enough, but Battlefield 3 was a far better game. From my experience with BF1's Alpha, it's a nice combo between BF3 and BC2 with some gritty aesthetics which I favor infinitely more than BF4.

I have been a committed series fan since Battlefield 1942 but Battlefield 4 and Hardline just didn't have that magic that the rest of the series did. It lacked a certain je ne sais quoi. All that being said, DICE LA's post launch support was nothing short of exemplary and I can only hope it continues for Battlefield 1.

Mahonay

Banned
I wish I would have played it more. The launch was a complete mess and I didn't really put that much time into it because of that. I stopped playing around the time Naval Strike came out. I'm not going to make the same mistake with BF 1.
God damn, Naval Strike was especially bad on console when it launched. There was rubber-banding on every single map. Unplayable. Now that they're not fucked anymore, a couple of those maps are pretty great actually.

ebevan91

God damn, Naval Strike was especially bad on console when it launched. There was rubber-banding on every single map. Unplayable. Now that they're not fucked anymore, a couple of those maps are pretty great actually.

I like the Naval Strike maps. Unfortunately mostly everyone I play with wants to play the small COD sized maps from Dragon's Teeth even though they shit on COD every chance they get.

Naked Lunch

Its easily the second worst Bafflefield behind BC1. A step back from BF3 for sure - mainly in its vehicle gameplay and core foot soldier gameplay. However, its still better than most current shooters and I still play it to this day.

Boss Mog

Game was great, I really loved it. That being said I lost interest after they started nerfiing all the good weapons and techniques, while not doing anything about base campers. Personally I think that any kill you get while not being inside the common area of the map should not award you any points. Thankfully Hardline came out just as I was losing interest and I shifted to that and haven't looked back.

Piggus

It's great, but it seems like (on PC) I can never find servers with maps from the expansions. Maybe it's better on PS4, but I'll take reduced player count if it means playing at 120 fps at 1440p. I can't stand the look of games running at sub-native resolution.

Sober

I put in a lot of time in BF3, so it was a shame BF4 launched really poorly that it put me off.

I came back when Premium was on sale but by then I feel like after 20 or so hours I felt like playing MP shooters was no longer a thing I cared for anymore.

S H I T
H
I
T

Coming from BF3 with well over 1000hrs BF4 was and is a disaster. DICE LA did what they could, but they were simply polishing a turd.

terrible

Banned
It has the best gunplay in the series excluding the shotgun buff and it has ok maps. Overall it's the best shooter this gen for me. The only one that comes close is R6 Siege.

Battlefield 4 was like the best worst baseball game of your life. Your batter keeps striking out, the outfielders can't manage to get a hold on the ball, and the opposing team keeps getting easy home runs. Then all of a sudden a more handsome, more capable batter comes out to the field and knocks it outta the park. Then for good measure he clubs the batters who hadn't been performing as admirably to death.

He then proceeds to ask the fans what kind of Battlefield maps they want, and announces they'll be free, along with more weapons for the game, and an easier way to unlock the grindy nightmare that is the Phantom Bow.

I had a halfway-decent metaphor going there for a little bit. My point is, DICE LA saved Battlefield 4 from going down as one of the worst games in the series. It's just a shame that it took nearly two years for it to get to that point.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The best Battlefield game on the Frostbite Engine is Battlefield 1943. It got the closest to an authentic Battlefield experience.

Lulu23

I was in love with BF3 when I played it on PS3 at and after launch. It was the reason I build my first (and until now only) PC to be abled to play it at 1080p60fps and, more importantly, 64 instead of 24 players. Glorious times.

I was of course very hyped for BF4 but didn't really play it after launch. Not because of the known problems, but because the game (only it) stuttered like hell on my PC and I couldn't play it - I was so salty.
Being burnt out on BF3 and very disappointed from BF4's PC performance I figured I'd move to Playstation again, just after the PS4 released.
Battlefield was pretty much the only game I played on PC anyways, so now that consoles had 64 players and 60fps (lol, I wish) I figured I'd buy BF4 on PS4 a little bit down the road to further scratch that itch and retire from PC gaming because Sony's exclusives sounded like a good reason to sacrifice a few pixels when playing BF4.
I also thought because the PS4 is a console, I wouldn't encounter game-breaking performance issues like with the PC version.

So I sold my PC, bought a PS4 (and a nice laptop) from the money and a little later BF4 for the second time, now on PS4.

Fast forward to today, BF4 with 64 players does still not run at 60fps and even if it would, it is imo not nearly as good a game as BF3 is. Framerate fluctuation is so severe, that 64 player matches, at least for me, are unplayable.

I still play occasionally, but am disappointed every time when the framerate shits the bed.
Also, it's so unfortunate that they're creating all these map-packs, but don't include them in their map rotations, so nobody plays them, so I can't play them.

Still going to buy BF1 on day 1 because I am part of the problem.

Edit:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The best Battlefield game on the Frostbite Engine is Battlefield 1943. It got the closest to an authentic Battlefield experience.

I like BF3 more, but still: yes.

terrible

Banned
The queues in front of the bombing run building were so Battlefield it hurt.

It's a shame it never got a PC release with a higher player count. It was fun.

I have put in countless in 1000+hrs in Battlefield 3/4/bfbc2/bf2 and planned to do Bf1.Didnt play hardline because i hated the game beta.Battlefield became so much better when dice la took over. Currently in my opinion it is the best shooter available in the market.

Also battlefield Premium is one of the best/well done season pass available for game.

Trojan

My favorite BF4 moments were always 64-player conquest on LANGCAM DAM. Bum-rushing the central island and the ensuing bloodbath when it was being contested. So fun.

Battlefield 4 has become a fantastic game because of the continued support on it over the years. It was a hot mess for the first 3 months + but I am encouraged over the focus EA put on it and they've said in subsequent interviews that they really learned some hard lessons that they'll take forward.

I expect Battlefield 1 to not have any of the major issues that plagued BF4 at launch. If it does then EA didn't learn as much as they thought.

My favorite shooter this gen. Not my favorite BF game (BF3 was) but with over 1000 hours logged into its multiplayer it's one of my most played games ever. I love to shoot down helicopters and jets in my tank, and I played the game so much that I'm ranked no. 3 in my region with tank kills. I don't think I'll be making the full switch to BF1, it looks cool but I don't think it will replace BF4 for me. I've played so many other shooters over the past 3 years and BF4 is the shooter I keep coming back to.

Battlefield friends hype train. 2 of my friends use to come over with their xbox 360 and we played Bad Company 2. During college, my roommate and friend who lived below us, would play Battlefield 3 all the time. Spend ~180 hours on PC, another ~80 hours on xbox 360 playing Battlefield 4.

I recognize BF3 as a better game than BF4 overall, but for whatever reason I put twice as much time into 4 as 3. I think I liked the DLC for 4 a bit more, which could be why I stuck around so long. Dragon's Teeth and Final Stand especially had some real standout maps, DICE LA really crushed it.

It was awesome. My favorite accomplishment is getting the phantom bow and doing all sorts of crazy shit. I was a badass at the game.

This was me a couple days ago. Still play the game daily, so much fun.
uturnz3s6r.gif

I believe they call that a "gravity assist" in space.

Edit: And yeah I'm gonna say this right now...best shooter this gen aside from Siege.

Hikami

Loved BF3 but the problems I heard about BF4 at launch ended up making me avoid it.

Eventually, I tried it out with Origin's free 7 day trial thing and by then it was too late since everyone was a really high rank so they had more map knowledge and better weapons. I had like one decent game and got destroyed in the rest. Decided to just wait for the next Battlefield game.

Game was released a year early with one of the worst single player campaigns. It was surprisingly worse than BF3's campaign.

Overall the multiplayer was better than than BF3's just because I wasn't forced to play on PC to have a decent experience. The maps on the vanilla game imo, were much better than BF3's vanilla maps as well. The CTOS on PC, nightfall, legacy and free map DLC were great to keep the community interested in the game for a good 3 years, after its horrible launch. The weapons were great, the vehicles felt good and the player base was very strong and I hope for it to continue being strong.

I once again hated the maps being stuck behind a paywall. The DLC maps are easily some of the best and its a shame that hardly anyone got to play it. Even though they went free for a while, there weren't that many servers available that didn't tick me off with camping snipers. Additionally, Rush was worse than it was in BF3. I am forever convinced that Rush will never be as good as it was in BFBC2. I'm not interested in BF1 but if they manage there, kudos to DICE.

Overall BF4 is the definition of a current generation game with an ounce of ambition. It will likely be broken at launch and after a whole year of patching it'll finally meet their internal standards and expectations and after a few years, it'll be what you were hoping for day one. It was fun, and I hope to continue playing it as I wait for the next iteration of a modern-day Battlefield game. Hardline would've be a great expansion like Vietnam if it were scaled back and released as such, but overall I'm satisfied with the game. Personal achievement, I'd say surpassing the 100 rank for the first in a Battlefield game.

Best wishes.

Top Bottom