• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Battlefield 4 Retrospect

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
CTE was the best thing to come from it. Helped the game out for better or worse (mostly worse for me). Hopefully with the new game they continue that but listen to some of us that play less-popular modes when it comes to balance/map design issues for said less-popular modes.

Also while I wouldn't rank most of the maps highly, Naval Strike and Final Stand had some pretty fun maps to play on. Especially in Sabotage ("Obliteration"). Rush was completely fucked over on both, but moving the bomb to the non-compact (whatever they called the shitty competitive mode they added past-launch for the mode) maps were amazing, especially on Naval Strike where thousands of Javelins meant people having to get on Jetskis, the attack boat (for a short bit) and helicopters and haul ass as missiles guided were following them to the plant sites.

ThisOne

Probably my favorite BF game ever. Only thing I didn't love about it was the sometimes poor performance on PS4 and the shady launch where there were no Conquest games and I kept getting freezes and booted to the dash.

olimpia84

Launch was an absolute disaster. After the game got fixed everything went well and the game was very enjoyable. I only put some 700 hours into it which is nothing compared to my playtime of BC2 and BF3. Being a console player it was nice to play 64 player count maps.
With that being said I had more fun with both BC2 and BF3 overall. Could be that I'm hitting BF fatigue though since I'm not really as hyped for BF1 as I should be.

Late Flag

This was the game that made me happy for the new console generation. I played it on PS3 originally, and the step up to the PS4 was a huge "holy shit this is fantastic!" moment. Yes, the bugs were unfortunate, but the scale and intensity of the PS4 version was incredible.

Never touched the SP campaign.

This was the game that made me happy for the new console generation. I played it on PS3 originally, and the step up to the PS4 was a huge "holy shit this is fantastic!" moment. Yes, the bugs were unfortunate, but the scale and intensity of the PS4 version was incredible.

The campaign was terrible,so you didn't miss anything special.

It's not good, so you didn't miss much. Here's a pretty good example of what it was like at launch.

I don't believe they've ever really bothered to fix the issues in it, either.

You know what, I really don't know. BF3 still holds a irreplaceable spot in my heart because it was kind of like the blueprint for BF4. Adored my time with it. BF4 really disappointed me at launch and for a great deal of time after but for some reason I kept playing it. I must have developed Stockholm syndrome (haha DICE is based in Stockholm I'm funny), because I ended up really, really enjoying my time with it like, a YEAR after its launch. That's when it started to really redeem itself. That said, still doesn't touch Siege. Keen for BF1 though.

You know what, I really don't know. BF3 still holds a irreplaceable spot in my heart because it was kind of like the blueprint for BF4. Adored my time with it. BF4 really disappointed me at launch and for a great deal of time after but for some reason I kept playing it. I must have developed Stockholm syndrome (haha DICE is based in Stockholm I'm funny), because I ended up really, really enjoying my time with it like, a YEAR after its launch. That's when it started to really redeem itself. That said, still doesn't touch Siege. Keen for BF1 though.
That's how I feel in a way. I love BF3,but BF4 just felt off to me. I can't really explain it. Maybe in regards to conquest,in BF3,I always felt that I was moving forward to capture objectives with my team,but in BF4,I feel like a chicken with its head cut off running around in circles. I guess it has to do with the map design.

Played it around launch, then sold it

Great support, but I really disliked a lot of it:

-insane aim assist on console

-spotting out the ass with players, gadgets, and commander

-playing a commander vs no commander game was heavily unfair

-shit launch maps. They were terrible, especially for Rush

-low TTK. Coupled with aim assist, it felt like cheating

-cross class weapons ruined the uniqueness of classes

-terrible dlc policy. Paid maps are sometimez impossible to find. Must suck for those who paid for map packs later on in the cycle

Bf4 really just felt so off. Outside of crappy rush, conquest felt like a headless game of wack-a-mole to me. It never felt so boring in bf3. For some reason, I couldn't enjoy it

Samus4145

Did they ever fix the footage bug on PC? I stopped playing when this was still an issue where going from low to very high meant nothing.

OldMan

Banned
Probably one of the most "tactical" and in depth mainstream shooters out there. I much prefer the character driven story of BFBC2 and its explosive, unique maps go w/out question.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The best Battlefield game on the Frostbite Engine is Battlefield 1943. It got the closest to an authentic Battlefield experience.

I loved 1943,despite its focus on small scale. It had the setting, the right kind of planes and WW2 weapons are the best.

My favourite Battlefield game is still 2 though, but I did enjoy 4 a lot as well. I am more than happy going back to an earlier time period where weapon lock on wasn't a thing.

I just wish they hadn't added the visual spotting to the series, it's one of my least favourite additions to a series ever. I much preferred the system in 2 where they only appeared on your mini map rather than having triangles all over the screen.

I don't consider the Bad Company games to be a part of the main Battlefield series. I enjoyed them at the time, but I prefer large scale conquest matches on bigger maps, so they never really appealed to me.

Pretty sure I've put the most time into this game on GAF, 86 days. I of course have racked up a ton of dog tags. Currently without plus so I probably won't get the missing one's I wanted anytime soon (Obliteration bomb setter, TDM, SDM(never seen anyone with this one), 250 knife ribbons) ...in particular. I did get the rarities of Gun Master, Carrier Assault, and Air Superiority.

Don't think I'll be playing BF1...as I cancelled Plus. If the beta is open to non-plus that could change my mind to picking it up again if I were to enjoy it. I really hate the community though. So many lousy players who aren't even trying to win. I really hate the flipping of teams too from match to match. You can be on the better team one game and with the scrubs on the next. Put up with the scrubs...congratulations, you get to stay with the scrubs on the next match as well. I shudder to think how many times my presence actually flipped the matches to my teams favor. Only one taking out choppers or vehicles for instance, setting up motion sensors or capping flags. Community is too dumb to adapt to the other team...so many idiots on Obliteration Locker who leave the Defensive gates open.

Thought China Rising was the best set of expansion maps in Conquest. Will remember those matches the most.

Favorite moments? Had some amazing streaks with sniper rifles(before my right trigger started to stick and I stopped using them). Gun Master was a lot of fun as I wasn't dependent for the most part on idiots to help me win the match.

Stats
Awards

That's how I feel in a way. I love BF3,but BF4 just felt off to me. I can't really explain it. Maybe in regards to conquest,in BF3,I always felt that I was moving forward to capture objectives with my team,but in BF4,I feel like a chicken with its head cut off running around in circles. I guess it has to do with the map design.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think it has a lot to do with map design and objective placement in particular. That can be said for any multiplayer game I guess, but with one like Battlefield having 64 players running about, you really do need great design to funnel those players.

RoKKeR

A game that was caught in the complicated crossfire of a new generation, but ultimately flourished into one of the better multiplayer FPS games available on the new consoles. A huge suite of maps/content, constant updates, tweaks, and fixes from DICE LA, and a steady stream of free content.

If you dive into the nitty gritty, there are a few aspects about this game that I don't like compared to past BF – primarily the over-emphasis on weapon/overall customization – but the core gameplay remains solid and fun.

Digby

Neo Member
What do you guys think will happen to the existing player base? I'm really enjoying the game right now and I really hope the game isn't abandoned once BF1 hits. I'm not ready to put BF4 down yet :(

WillyFive

What do you guys think will happen to the existing player base? I'm really enjoying the game right now and I really hope the game isn't abandoned once BF1 hits. I'm not ready to put BF4 down yet :(

It will drop, but like BF3, it will still have a somewhat decent playerbase after it's successor is released, I imagine.

But also like BF3, I expect any DLC maps and non-Conquest/Rush gamemodes will die forever.

Mahonay

Banned
Plenty of people who either prefer the modern setting, or want to wait to move over to BF1 until balances, patches, and new maps hit will stick around.

The numbers will certainly drop, but there will always be a percentage of players that can't live without their red dot scopes.

Coolluck

64-Player matches as a console player was mind-blowing since the only other time I'd done large player counts was in MAG (yuck) and the BF 2142 demo I downloaded on my PC back in the day.

64-Player Gun Master is just a clusterfuck of fun.

I'm glad they eventually brought back Gun Master but I hope it comes back sooner this time.

It's probably the game I still play the most on consoles.

Xyber

Shitty launch aside, I enjoyed the game and today I'd say it's pretty great.

BC2 is still my favorite of all the recent games though, mainly because all the maps were designed around the Rush game mode and that was the only thing my group played.

It was also so much easier for a good squad to have a huge impact on who won in that game (mainly because half the playerbase were sitting in spawn and sniping.. :p), we were a group of 3 people who played pretty great together. When I stopped playing I had a win/loss-ratio of 3.57 with 1200 wins and 335 losses. Have not been close to anything like that in any other game.

Incredibly disappointing.

Those are the two words that come to mind, considering I was still slightly disappointed with how BF3 turned out.

BF3 is still the better game.

1942, Vietnam, BF2, and BC2 were better than both.

320+ hours. Loved it so much that I decided to get the basic unlocks for each weapon which I did except for the sniper rifle that requires like 50 500m head shots to unlock.

I've shot a plane & helicopter down with a tank, I've taking down air vehicles with an rpg. So many great moments. Overall I was pretty good, I loved taking down snipers with the SUAV, I have like 300 kills with that little plane.

My rankings have gone down since I've stop playing often, but I'm still in division 1 for several weapons including sniping, even though I used it more for close range with a 4x scope.

HariKari

The game that DICE LA saved and made them the best DICE studio EA has. CTE was just fantastic and it needs to happen for every Battlefield game.

Falchion

Got the plat in Battlefield 4 which was even more satisfying since I had to wrestle with the save glitch and basically complete it in one long sitting.

skybald

I started being a vehicle destroyer in Bad Company 2 and in Battlefield 4 because a tank crushing machine. Best Battlefield yet.

Still don't know crap about flying a chopper though. Haha

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
I'm curious if they'll ever follow through on Bad Company 3, since DICE has said before that they are not done with the series.

Bad Company 2 definitely felt the smoothest and most satisfying gameplay wise out of any Battlefield game for me.

As a console player, this was big for me as well.

I remember when Dice came out and stated they dont know why people liked, and what make BC2 successful, jesus man

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I had fun with it when I got it. Used to love the tbag silk road 24/7 server, but after getting hardline, it made going back to BF4 so painful. Hardline does infantry combat so well and the hit detection is 100% better than BF4's. I prefer the exclusive hardline modes like heist, blood money, crosshair/rescue, and hotwire over all the other modes from 4 too.

Sojgat

I had fun with it when I got it. Used to love the tbag silk road 24/7 server, but after getting hardline, it made going back to BF4 so painful. Hardline does infantry combat so well and the hit detection is 100% better than BF4's. I prefer the exclusive hardline modes like heist, blood money, crosshair/rescue, and hotwire over all the other modes from 4 too.

Hardline is awesome. My favourite Battlefield game since BC2.

J-Rzez

After one of the worst launches ever, BF4 turned out to be one of the best supported games there is. Premium was worth it in 3 and 4 I feel. It's still a great game, playing it now actually!

Highlight of my night was taking out this attack chopper with an LAV tow missile tonight.

Chopper was flying very high above F on Goldmud. I just spawned in the LAV at Echo.
Bam!

He was wreaking havoc all over our team. Took a chance and it paid off.

malfcn

I felt like the campaign was terrible. Played on hard and it was a joke. You can walk up to half the enemies and knife them, or sit back and head shot the other half. The squad command is useless. The story was dull, predictable twist with Hannah and the VIP. Also, lots of glitches and issues.

There was some heart in it. The sound track works in some parts, almost dynamically booming along with the action. Other times it had this soft emotional under tone, but there was rarely a pay off.

malfcn

Haha what a joke.

Campaign scoring, but only way to see history is to load game.

Campaign saves are lost. I just loaded the game again and half the campaign is lost.

What.
The.
Heck.

malfcn

I forgot to mention.

You can see enemy soldiers and tanks spawn onto the battlefield.

Complete and total trash, thoroughly, through and through.

Top Bottom