• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Battlefield 4 Retrospect

VariantX

One of the worst launches ever for a battlefield game. Took roughly 6 months to get the majority of the crashes and bugs fixed, Took another year to get the game polished up good. Still, I put hundreds of hours in because there was still an immense amount of approaches to playing and it took a very long time for maps to feel old. It also had amazing post release support. There are still aspects I dont like, and im hopeful that the lessons learned here will Give BF1 an even brighter future.

TheRed

I'm enjoying Battlefield 4 now with all the free DLC. It was broken for me for the whole first year so that's why I never really played it much.

Question about the free DLC, if my friend buys BF4 now he won't be able to get those for free would he? Did you have to own it already and they're done giving them free now?

VariantX

I'm enjoying Battlefield 4 now with all the free DLC. It was broken for me for the whole first year so that's why I never really played it much.

Question about the free DLC, if my friend buys BF4 now he won't be able to get those for free would he? Did you have to own it already and they're done giving them free now?

All the community DLC stuff is free, the night maps, dragon valley, weapon dlc.

Loved it. Still play it once in a while. Maybe the game of this gen for me. As a console only player it was such a joy to play 32v32 matches.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I legit bought my PS4 for BF4.. and the online didnt work for like 6 months.
Mad props to DICE for supporting it for like 3 years though.

I had a great time with Battlefield 4. Still believe though that BFBC2 is the best battlefield game to hit consoles.

The gameplay, the maps, the sound design, so fucking good.

Orcus

This game was amazing after the initial 6 months of pain, but it was so worth it. I'm super psyched for BFI and can't wait to scratch that itch. I'm going to miss my helis though. =[

Pastry

Banned
The launch was super rough and a hot fucking mess but it's probably my favorite shooter ever. I've put in around 650 or 700 hours over the past three years. Went 46-16 last night on Nansha, super proud of that one lol

ShowDog

The botched launch really ruined this game for me. I out it aside until they could fix and when I came back I had no familiarity with the game and was promptly annihilated by the competition, usually while wandering aimlessly on foot.

I adored BC2 and enjoyed 3 but I'm probably done with the series. I just don't see anything topping the times I had with BC2, and it's not like they've brought anything dramatically new to the table. I've got a bitter taste from the $75 I wasted on 4 also.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
This game was amazing after the initial 6 months of pain, but it was so worth it. I'm super psyched for BFI and can't wait to scratch that itch. I'm going to miss my helis though. =[
Yup yup.

SILK ROAD 24/7 B O Y S !!

But still, one of the worst launches i've ever experienced.

TheRed

All the community DLC stuff is free, the night maps, dragon valley, weapon dlc.

Cool so not the expansions? Did everyone get the expansions because I have them all now and I only ever bought Second Assault. It's pretty awesome and I get to discover all these new maps and they've been great so far.

Cool so not the expansions? Did everyone get the expansions because I have them all now and I only ever bought Second Assault. It's pretty awesome and I get to discover all these new maps and they've been great so far.

The expansions were free for a limited time. All of them.

Keasar

With an unacceptably rough launch in the Fall of 2013 (severe server connection issues, one shot kill bug, full game crashes, sound bugs, nearly broken netcode, numerous balance issues, etc.), it goes with out saying that Battlefield 4 has come a very long way to get where it is today. After DICE moved over to work on Battlefront, DICE LA picked up the slack immediately, fixing a majority of the issues with BF4 using the CTE test server program, adding a slew of new UI features, implementing higher tick-rate servers, and some incredibly solid DLC maps. And over the past month or two, in a slow drip, they've released each DLC pack completely for free, injecting the game with another surge of players at the tail end of it's life.

It was alright, not better than BF2, BFBC2 or BF3, but alright. Reading all this though makes me wish that DICE LA made the next Battlefield instead of DICE Stockholm, cause I honestly have no faith in whoever is their designers there after seeing the slide down in quality that have been the last couple of Battlefield games. They have just been messier designed, maps been worse, poor decisions taken regarding everything around the game (Battlelog, how Commanders in BF4 worked). It is kinda sad when the best map BF4 has is an 11 year old map from a older game they made, now reinvented by someone else for them. Heck, even the musical intro for that map is better than their entire musical output in the last 3 games, actual tones of instruments instead of awful BWABWABWA BWAAA BWAAA!

BF1 is for me the last Battlefield game I give to DICE in here in Sweden, and that is mostly because of the setting, unless I feel blown away by its quality the franchise is over for me personally as a fan since the day they released the BF1942 demo.

Battlefield 4 was a complete and utter failure in my opinion. It was a technical disaster on launch that suffered from an absolutely unacceptable amount of bugs, glitches and massive networking issues. It damaged the credibility and reputation of both DICE and the Battlefield brand. The sheer number and complexity of problems was beyond ridiculous. It was one of if not the most frustrating, infuriating and disappointing gaming related experiences I've ever dealt with. Also the fact that it took them well over a year to properly fix a lot of the major issues was very aggravating as well. Plus the numerous patches and updates that in many cases fixed a few issues but broke other things or introduced new problems was incredibly frustrating. BF4 was the last straw for me personally I haven't pre-ordered a game since then. I skipped BF: Hardline and SW: Battlefront and I don't think I will ever pre-order another EA or DICE game ever again. They have clearly demonstrated on numerous occasions that they can't launch a complete, stable and functional game on release day. They do not deserve my time, trust, money or respect.

That being said I sincerely hope BF1 has a smooth launch, performs well and people can enjoy it.

I got this and Hardline about 2 months ago on PS4 when the bundle was on sale. I had a lot of fun with it playing with my friend.

I have a great clip of me spanwing in on top of the Shanghai skyscraper, looking out the window and seeing a transport helicopter and launching a SMAW at it right before it flew out of view.

Got 5 kills, really need to upload that sometime.

evi

When BF4 launched I was still fatigued from BF3, and it didn't help that BF4 looked really similar to the previous entry in the series. I feel that up until that point, DICE had evolved the Battlefield series significantly with almost every entry (except Vietnam and 2142), but that wasn't the case with BF3 -> BF4.

Here's hoping BF1 feels like something more than a new coat of paint.

That said, I eventually bought BF4 last year, and have put around 60 hours in it. It's a great game, but suffers from mediocre map design.

I feel DICE has plateaued. Hope I'm wrong.

Tieske

Neo Member
I'm glad BF4 fell on its ass at launch, but also manged to recover by hand of great and dedicated post-launch support, even past the Premium content they were obliged to deliver

The game itself was great, but DICE's vision of trying to offer as many ways to play (or as they always put it, "experiences") is what muddled the game. That design philosophy delivered us some of the most mediocre maps in the series, multiple completely redundant gamemodes that were pretty much dead the moment they released and it probably took a lot of resources away that could be used to refine core parts of the series

In many ways BF1 looks like it's cutting down on the clutter, the theme allows for some interesting game mechanics and it has one of the best technical bases to build on in multiplayer shooters with how BF4 ended up as. I have high hopes for it.

Gandalf

Been playing it again lately due to EA Access.

Can't get into it as much as Bad Company 2. Don't know what it was about that game, but I must've played it for at least 500 hours. Loved it.

Skenzin

Banned
Bf4 was the best nextgen shooter on the current consoles at launch,and one of the few games that actually felt nextgen. BF3 was too janky on the 360/ps3. Also like the maps a lot better than 3.

void666

Banned
I loved BF3. I was excited for BF4. But it was so broken at release i barely played the game. I left and never really came back.

BF4 - 184 hours
BF3 - 678 hours

Mahonay

Banned
Bf4 was the best nextgen shooter on the current consoles at launch,and one of the few games that actually felt nextgen. BF3 was too janky on the 360/ps3. Also like the maps a lot better than 3.
BF4 on PS4/XB1 was definitely closer to the PC experience. Other than the super inconsistent performance on Conquest Large.

terrible

Banned
BF4 on PS4/XB1 was definitely closer to the PC experience. Other than the super inconsistent performance on Conquest Large.

I swear the framerate on PS4 wasn't even that bad most of the time prior to the patch that fixed rubber banding. The framerate tanked dramatically after that patch but the rubber banding was fixed.

I loved BF3. I was excited for BF4. But it was so broken at release i barely played the game. I left and never really came back.

BF4 - 184 hours
BF3 - 678 hours

Yup, that's what happened to me. I had hundreds of hours in BF3, I don't even think I made it to a hundred in BF4.

TheRed

Been playing it again lately due to EA Access.

Can't get into it as much as Bad Company 2. Don't know what it was about that game, but I must've played it for at least 500 hours. Loved it.
Same BC2 was magical to me, loved it so much. Hope BF1 gets a little closer to that fun experience with the increased destruction.

Probably the worst launch I've ever experienced and it took 2 years for me to be able to redeem my China Rising launch bonus. Bought it on sale again and I'm proud I got a lot of those 200% EXP stuff, I guess.

JBwB

Loved BF4. I've spent over 330 hours playing it.

After it was patched it easily became one of the best multiplayer games of this generation.

Mahonay

Banned

BF4 - 184 hours
BF3 - 678 hours
I did the opposite

BF3 - 546 hours
BF4 - 1326 hours

BF4 just became my de facto multiplayer game this gen other than Rocket League. The extra year between BF4 and BF1 made a difference as well. Just 2 years between BF3 and BF4, 3 years between BF4 and BF1. And I skipped Hardline since I wasn't crazy about what I played in the beta.

This was me a couple days ago. Still play the game daily, so much fun.
uturnz3s6r.gif

A faithful recreation of the Keyes Loop.

Bought this at launch and have played the hell out of it.
One of the few games I've ever platinumed ( including dlc) and have most of the assignments complete, plus over 900 hrs in multilayer. I'm just starting to get ok. Shitty Australian Internet doesn't help.

My favourite part is shenanigans running over campers, raining hell down from a full transport helicopter, and jeep stuff.

Is this one of the best / longest lasting launch tittles of all time?

Edit: my stats say 800+ hours, but I swear it was over 900

Bought this at launch and have played the hell out of it.
One of the few games I've ever platinumed ( including dlc) and have most of the assignments complete, plus over 900 hrs in multilayer. I'm just starting to get ok. Shitty Australian Internet doesn't help.

My favourite part is shenanigans running over campers, raining hell down from a full transport helicopter, and jeep stuff.

Is this one of the best / longest lasting launch tittles of all time?

It's crazy. If BF4stats.com is correct, player count is way up over usual.
It was hovering between 25-35k daily players on PS4. Now it's been 50-60k.

Mahonay

Banned
It's crazy. If BF4stats.com is correct, player count is way up over usual.
It was hovering between 25-35k daily players on PS4. Now it's been 50-60k.
People are warming up for BF1, I've noticed a ton of people on the past couple of weeks as well, but the player pop has always been pretty healthy.

This was my first next gen game, and it still holds up in my opinion.

First time experiencing 64 player conquest, something you needed a PC for in the past.

BF3 imo felt like a mistake, it never felt right, but BF4 was something else. Nothing like running across a battlefield only for Michael Bay type moment to suddenly come crashing down from above.

BF4 was my first Battlefield game, and I really enjoyed it.
I tried the beta on PS3 but couldn't get into it, but picked it up when the game + premium went on sale on PSN for like £20 and really enjoyed it. I then upgraded to the PS4 version and loved it even more.

I find it a bit tough to do good on, and I could never really find a gun that suited me all too well, but it was fun. I'm kind of interested in BF1, but a big thing I liked with BF4 Premium was that I got everything included. If BF1 is going to have a Premium season pass I'll probably pass on the game until I can get it at a discount. Especially considering the fact that Hardline Ultimate Edition went from like £105 to £39 on PSN on sale after 6 months, and both that and BF4 are basically on every other EU PSN sale nowadays it seems.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
As rough as the launch was, it ended up being the only game I bought during the PS4's launch period that I didn't regret soon after.

I really enjoyed my time with it. 3 did have better maps (especially for Rush) though, but I really liked a lot of the QoL improvements 4 made.

Bit of shotgun house cleaning on locker.

Elitist1945

I really liked it but something felt off. I think I put tops 50 hours into it (which is still good for me), but I put almost 400 hours into BF3.

Top Bottom