• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing mobile delayed until Q1 2017

maxcriden

Previous threads:

Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing IPs coming to mobile, releasing this Fall

WSJ: Animal Crossing mobile + Fire Emblem mobile both F2P

--

Per the Super Mario run PR:

Super Mario Run represents the next phase of Nintendo’s expansion to mobile platforms, following the release of Miitomo earlier this year. After the launch of Super Mario Run in December, Nintendo plans to deliver its previously announced mobile device titles in the Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem series before the end of March, 2017.

http://nintendoeverything.com/super-mario-run-announced-for-mobile/

Thanks to ekurisona for posting this PR.

Edit: stealing this from Nirolak's post below since it's an important point:

Nirolak said:
It's plausible they're still releasing in Japan this year since structurally I imagine both of them are more targeted toward the Japanese mobile audience.

georly

Not surprised but super disappointed.

And f2p not f2start? Also not surprising, also super disappointing. Rules out any hopes of a 'proper' fire emblem game (where you buy stages, not weapons/characters).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From Nintendo's Super Mario Run press release.

It's plausible they're still releasing in Japan this year since structurally I imagine both of them are more targeted toward the Japanese mobile audience.

Nintendo Everything said:
http://nintendoeverything.com/super-mario-run-announced-for-mobile/

Nintendo Press Release:

Super Mario Run represents the next phase of Nintendo’s expansion to mobile platforms, following the release of Miitomo earlier this year. After the launch of Super Mario Run in December, Nintendo plans to deliver its previously announced mobile device titles in the Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem series before the end of March, 2017.

So they're most likely not going to make their goal of four additional mobile games this FY. Can't say I'm surprised, given the lack of info on AC and FE.

Anyway, releasing Mario as a premium game seems like a pretty questionable move in the current mobile market, even given the strength of the Mario IP. Hope it works out for them, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this converted into an F2P title sometime next year.

Probably for the best. I can't wait to see Animal Crossing. I think Mario filling this year is great, it doesn't need to rely on other games in its series to be meaningful, however, Animal Crossing I think really needs implementation to another game to be worthwhile. Assuming they are going to continue making bitesize experiences rather than full games.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Considering there's a valuable substitute (Super Mario Run), I don't consider this a problem. Better to spread out releases.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nintendo not really able to launch anything in time these days. Well, I hope they are at least not "first on iOS" too.

Azuran

Banned
Your loss Nintendo. I have so much money on my bank account that I need to burn repeatedly trying to pull for Ike.

starmud

If these have nx titles in the launch window it makes sense... We already know AC mobile will tie into a game somehow

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
ObIQIdL.png

Noooooooooo!!! I was looking forward to Animal Crossing.

maxcriden

I expect nx to be delayed to fall 2017 as well but we shall see

IMO (and no offense intended at all), there's no reason to believe that at this point. It was slated for this year alongside Zelda per the highly proven Trev leak, the Emily Rogers rumors that's consistent with other highly reliable (WSJ, etc.) info we've gotten notes they're ahead of current schedule, and Nintendo has repeatedly informed investors that it's coming March 2017.

Kouriozan

Well of course, can't spell Nintendo without delays.
But at least they are not rushing those and we should get great games in the end.

Golnei

It's giving you time to prepare your wallet for Waifu IAPs.
Guess I'll have to keep waiting for my waifus.

I'm honestly curious as to how the support system will work in a F2P format - marriage and children are vital aspects of the series, but working out support pools for an ever-expanding roster of characters and having the player character only able to pair up with one and therefore ineligible for characters added later into the game's life seems like a suboptimal situation. Even operating under the assumption that it's a truncated, light experience and not a hugely deep adaptation of the mainline series, gutting the support system that brought the series a fair chunk of its popularity can't be a smart move.

Or maybe using an established cast instead of mostly new characters will mitigate that...

The Boat

This could be Nintendo trying to reevaluate how they do mobile before launching their new games. The retention and use rate of Miitomo didn't seem to be that high.

I always saw Miitomo as a long term thing, a companion app that will be updated and grow alongside their new games and platforms. They have been very quiet about releasing it in many countries though (Portugal still doesn't have it for example).

ItsDorf

Banned
So if these tie in with NX titles we can expect a Mario, fire emblem, and animal crossing at launch with the NX add in Zelda and man what a major launch that would be

Mario is a fine replacement.

I always saw Miitomo as a long term thing, a companion app that will be updated and grow alongside their new games and platforms. They have been very quiet about releasing it in many countries though (Portugal still doesn't have it for example).

Miitomo needs the other mobile games and NX games to be fully utilized.

I mean MyNintendo right now has a bin exclusively for Miitomo coins in addition to the Platinum and Gold coins.

Golnei

Don't really care about the others, but if Fire Emblem is a timed iOS exclusive I'm gonna lose my shit.

I hadn't even thought about that - hopefully Mario was a special case. I guess these being F2P and not initially paid apps shows there's at least one notable difference in approach.

jph139

Very curious what their overall Animal Crossing plan looks like between the New Leaf update, mobile, and NX. Like, what's the overall timetable? What links where?

Shirke

Not surprised but super disappointed.

And f2p not f2start? Also not surprising, also super disappointing. Rules out any hopes of a 'proper' fire emblem game (where you buy stages, not weapons/characters).

We all knew that Fire Emblem was going for that gacha money. Gotta love that 3% draw rate for SSR tier characters with limited swimsuits in the summer

random25

I'm honestly curious as to how the support system will work in a F2P format - marriage and children are vital aspects of the series, but working out support pools for an ever-expanding roster of characters and having the player character only able to pair up with one and therefore ineligible for characters added later into the game's life seems like a suboptimal situation. Even operating under the assumption that it's a truncated, light experience and not a hugely deep adaptation of the mainline series, gutting the support system that brought the series a fair chunk of its popularity can't be a smart move.

Or maybe using an established cast instead of mostly new characters will mitigate that...

I don't even think there will be a support system in the mobile version or even a deep one at that. If the purpose of this game is to attract more people to mainline FE games on Nintendo hardware, they'll gimp this game with those extra features and will probably stick to the SRPG gameplay.

Ninjimbo

Animal Crossing and Mario I understand. I don't get Fire Emblem. Not that I hate it (I love FE) but it's surprising to see Nintendo decide upon that obscure little franchise to headline their mobile initiative.

Top Bottom