• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On Final Fantasy XV and female characters

pashmilla

Banned
Edit 4: The introduction to aforementioned retrospectives is up! You can read it here.

Edit 3: Update: I maaaay or may not have started writing a series of retrospectives entitled "Feminism and Final Fantasy" >.>. I'll link it when it's done.

Edit 2: thanks to Llyrwenne for this beauty. It'll come in handy for those coming into this thread for the first time.

CfdlO3E.png

I originally planned to have this as one long post... then it got long. Obscenely so. So I'll post the first part here and add the rest in comments as I write them. So let's call this part 1: Introduction + Luna.

So, Final Fantasy XV is out in just over two months. It's been a long road and a real rollercoaster of emotion, veering from hype and excitement to misery and despair and back again many times over. As we see more of the final game, reactions are becoming increasingly split: some love what they're seeing and think it will be the greatest FF yet; some are tentatively optimistic; some aren't keen but are willing to go in with an open mind; some think it will be the series' death knell. Aside from graphical, gameplay, dubbing and story concerns, one thing I see pop up repeatedly in threads is the game's treatment of its female characters. And so, as a long-time FF fan and a Girl Gamer™, I thought I would chime in. With the obvious caveat that, of course, the game is not out yet, and thus this is based purely on speculation and what we have seen of FFXV so far...

I think we (as women, gamers, feminists...) have ample reason to be concerned. Brace yourselves, guys. This might get long (and ranty). Within this post (/mini-essay/20k word dissertation), I'm going to give an overview of the female characters in the game, and analyse them from a feminist and narrative perspective, and explain why I am deeply troubled by what we have been shown, and why I anticipate that, as a woman playing video games, I am going to find myself very disappointed (probably even angry) with Final Fantasy XV when I finally play it.

A few notes, before I begin in earnest:

• I am aware that the majority of GAF users are cis, heterosexual, white, American men. I am also aware that GAF is a much more liberal, welcoming and open-minded place than most others on the Internet when it comes to discussions of women's and minority rights. I am perfectly happy posting this here because I know that even if people disagree, discussion is going to be civil and respectful. Many men on GAF would even refer to themselves as feminists, which I think is great! However, I have to argue that, when it comes to the rather touchy topic of female characters in video games, men tend to approach this discussion from a place of inherent male privilege. Even if your knee-jerk reaction is to disagree with everything I'm saying, I would love it if you could think over what I've said and perhaps take some of my comments into consideration.
  • It is all but impossible to discuss Final Fantasy XV without at least mentioning Final Fantasy Versus XIII. I know many users find this aggravating. My intention is not to pine over "what could have been" (rollinginthedeep.gif), but I believe that in talking about FFXV in metafictional terms, you cannot not mention Versus XIII. I apologise in advance, and will attempt to remain as unbiased as possible.
  • I will not be mentioning Kingsglaive in this essay, as I have not seen it. Anyone who has is more than welcome to chime in!

Now, without further ado, buckle your seatbelts, GAF. It's gonna be a long one. I'll start by giving a brief overview of each female character individually, then go into more detail afterwards about why I think FFXV is, essentially, a sexist game. I'll begin by saying that we cannot decry a work of fiction as sexist simply because one female character is in distress, or one female character is scantily clad. I'll quote my absolute favourite Game of Thrones critic, the incredible gotgifsandmusings, and say it now:

IT'S THE PATTERN.

One isolated incident does not necessarily make a game sexist. But in FFXV's case, the incidents are not isolated, and come together to form a pattern of sexism that is ingrained in the game's foundations.

Lunafreya Nox Fleuret

Lunafreya, or Luna for short, is the main female character of Final Fantasy XV. Luna is a princess from the kingdom of Tenebrae, currently held captive by the empire of Niflheim. She is an Oracle, able to speak to the gods, and is betrothed to Noctis.

Luna was first introduced to us in VsXIII as Stella Nox Fleuret, princess of Tenebrae, who shared Noctis' ability to "see the light of expiring souls" and found herself forced to reluctantly oppose him, for reasons we never learnt. We only saw Stella twice: once when she converses with Noctis during a party, and once when she and Noctis draw their weapons and face off against each other. I will briefly discuss these two scenes and what they show us about Stella's character (without making sweeping assumptions about her character and role in the story based off of only two scenes), then talk about Luna in more detail.

Stella and Noctis do not know each other when they meet during the party - or if they do, some shenanigans have happened to make them forget each other. Stella speaks frankly but politely to Noctis - she addresses him as "Lord Noctis", but does not hesitate to openly ask him if he had a near-death experience that let him see Etro's light. At the end of the scene, they part ways; Noctis asks Stella to call him "Noct", and Stella promises to show him around Tenebrae before rushing away.

In the other scene, we see several shots of Stella waiting alone in a seemingly abandoned city street at night, until Noctis arrives. They both draw their weapons, both looking obviously reluctant to fight each other (fitting in with Nomura's description of Stella as a reluctant antagonist), and dramatically face off.

I'm not going to declare Stella as a ~~~~strong female character~~~~, because we hardly know anything about her. What we saw was a character who presumably had her own agenda, with her own reasons for facing off against Noctis. Her reluctance indicates that she cares for Noctis (my speculation based off the comments about them being like Romeo and Juliet) but finds herself obligated to oppose him (for reasons we will now never learn). During the party she is polite, addressing Noctis with respect, but bluntly and persistently questions him despite his attempts to shrug her off.

Some people claim that Luna cannot possibly be a strong female character because she has shown no martial skill, and because we have twice seen her get physically assaulted in trailers. The idea that a woman must be a good fighter to be a "strong" character is ridiculous. We have seen many, many examples across FF of female characters who are not skilled fighters (outside of gameplay) but are still "strong", through their intelligence, determination, courage, kindness, et cetera: Rosa, Aerith, Rinoa, Yuna, Penelo, Vanille, as well as minor characters such as Sara and Elia the Water Maiden from FFIII. Most of these fit the same mould: they are not physically strong, but have powerful magical abilities that allow them to fight and protect themselves. Luna also fits this archetype - gentle, kind, determined, with strong magical powers. I am not hopeful that Luna will be a good character, but that is less because of what we've seen of her and more because of the dreaded *spooky fingers* pattern. I don't find Luna particularly interesting, but I'm not going to claim she's a bad character. We haven't seen her do anything yet! We have no idea what she will do! I will say, however, that the marketing of her since the rebranding has been downright awful.

Tabata originally claimed that the story and characters carried over from VsXIII had been left untouched, but this soon proved to be untrue - Stella was cut from the game, and replaced with a new heroine called Luna. People had been impressed by what we'd been shown of Stella - her design was unique, she was willing to fight, and the Romeo and Juliet vibes between her and Noctis appealed to a lot of people. No matter what Tabata did with Luna, people were going to be unhappy. He claims that while Luna is not a physical fighter, she remains a strong female character who is very determined and brave. I see no reason to doubt the claims of her bravery - some guy has a gun in her face and she just shoves it away like a boss. She faces off against motherfreakin' Leviathan. That's awesome! It doesn't change the fact that we have now twice seen Luna be physically assaulted in trailers. Putting aside discussion of whether this makes her "weak", because it's so ridiculous I'm not even going to touch it: why is this necessary? Why do we need to see our main heroine get slapped around in marketing? What purpose does this serve? It's certainly not appealing to anyone. Is this meant to make the villains appear more evil, because they'd be willing to ~hit a girl? Ardyn has already been well established as a Not Nice Person. Why the hell does Tabata think we need to see Luna getting shitkicked? If it happened in the game, that'd be one thing. Girls get hit too, of course; I'm not saying that you can never ever show violence against women, because that would be just mindblowingly stupid. But so far, Luna has been marketed to us as a character who: sits in a chair (fine), dramatically stands up from a chair and shoves a gun away (cool), summons/battles/I don't really know Leviathan with her magic powers (yeahhhh), and repeatedly gets the shit kicked out of her (wait WHAT). Not even during a dramatic battle scene - she gets kicked around as a child, then gets pimp-slapped by Ardyn. I cannot even begin to express how monumentally bad this looks from a game that has many, many problems with its female characters. Jesus Christ.

Coming next, part 2: CINDY. Hoo boy.

Edit: And here she is. Oh, what fun I had writing this.

Here's my Cindy bit, as promised. Idk when I'll get the rest out; I have to brace myself mentally before tackling it.

Cindy

I can sum up my thoughts on Cindy with a single gif:

we-could-ve-had-it-all-o.gif

Female Cid? SIGN ME THE FUCK UP! Then we saw a full-body shot. Oh... oh no. This is not good. I'll head off the obvious rebuttal (which I already saw in the trailer discussion thread): I'm not looking for female characters to wear burqas or anything ridiculous like that. Plenty of female FF characters have had revealing clothes: Lightning, Fran, Ashe, Fang, Tifa, Lulu, Rosa. The difference between them and Cidney boils down to two things: context and presentation. I'll kick off with context. Let's take Ashe. Ashe wears clothes that she apparently found in a skip, including a very short hot pink miniskirt. Ashe's design is frankly ridiculous, but among the rest of the designs in FFXII, it doesn't look especially outlandish, because everyone wears ridiculous clothes! Basch appears to be wearing a potholder under his shirt; Fran is wearing a metal leotard; I'm not even sure what is going on with Larsa's shoes. Similarly, Lightning wears a short skirt and a coat that shows her midriff... and many other characters in the game, male and female, dress similarly. Cindy, meanwhile, sticks out like a sore thumb. It doesn't help that she's a spot of colour against the all-black main cast, making her even more noticeable. The main crew's clothes don't look particularly practical, sure, but at least they don't look downright uncomfortable to wear. Not to mention... Cindy is a mechanic (a mechanic) in a low-cut crop top and hotpants. She works with hot oil all day. There's a reason mechanics wear overalls, is all I'm saying. One of the popular arguments I see to defend scantily-clad female characters is, “Well maybe she CHOSE to wear that!” Look, I’m all for women wearing whatever the fuck they want to wear, as long as they’re not being forced into it. You want to walk around in a bikini? Go for it. You want to walk around in a burqa? More power to ya. But you cannot say to me with a straight face that a bunch of pixels created and designed by a group of middle-aged men chose to wear something. You cannot. Cindy is dressed the way she is because the developers wanted her to be dressed that way. That is it.

Next, let’s talk about presentation. Fran in Final Fantasy XII, as I have already mentioned, is wearing stilettos and a metal leotard that exposes her breasts and backside rather generously. The reason this doesn’t bother me whereas Cindy does is because we are not repeatedly treated to long, loving camera pans up and down Fran’s body. She is presented the same way as every other character in the main party, male or female, and is never deliberately sexualised by the game. Her design is revealing, but it is not sexualised. Furthermore, she is never sexualised by the other characters. Balthier and Basch treat her as with respect and never seem to view her in a sexual light; Vaan is clearly intimidated by her, but that seems to be mainly because he’s a street rat who doesn’t interact with Viera much. Contrast this with Cindy. Her breasts and backside are repeatedly placed front and centre of shots, and she drapes herself across the Regalia in a completely unnatural way to facilitate said shots. Then there’s the VR trailer, which I can’t talk about without feeling a red mist descend upon my vision, in which the developers gleefully tell us that WOW! We (as Prompto, who practically pops a boner every time she shows up) can use the VR to ogle Cindy even more. Amazing. There’s also an alternate skin for the Regalia featuring Cindy, for all your fapping needs.

20160630_104805_thumb.png

Lovely.

Look, sex sells, I get it. Sexy characters appeal to people. The problem lies in the fact that Cindy is purely there for her sex appeal. Her “pawpaw” is the actual Cid. So what purpose does Cindy serve, then? Eye-candy. That’s it. And sure, one fanservice character doesn’t make a game sexist. It’s the pattern. Where are the scantily clad male mechanics who cover their bare chests in grease and drape themselves over the hoods of cars? Oh wait, they don’t exist, because games are made for straight dudes. Silly me. Even so, even if Cindy were a purely fanservice character, what’s really so bad about that? Why is that offensive? Well, aside from the sleaziness of it, there’s that one comment that the game’s marketing director made during that one ATR…

“People say Cindy is too sexy, but they also want female party members. That seems contradictory to me.”

Because the only reason people could want playable female characters is for sex appeal. Naturally. Brb, jumping off a cliff.

Next up, Iris. Give me strength.

I get where you're coming from, and I do think this is a worthwhile discussion...but I don't think it makes any sense to get into this before the game is out and we have full knowledge of who these characters are and what they do.

It's far too easy to come to erroneous conclusions when all we've got of Stella is a few short clips and all we've got of Luna is slightly more short clips (and Kingsglaive, now).

Well, except for Cidney/Cindy. There's not much else I can see happening there, so it's probably safe to critique her design and role in the game without much concern that she'll be represented better in the full game.

Logash

Interesting points but I feel like this will be better served when the game is out and we have full context. Sure she may look a certain way in the trailers but that doesn't mean that is her character. Also, I feel like speculation compared to another character we barley knew before she was replaced is also a little weird. Oh and to your point, I don't think Kingsglaive will give you a better impression of her. There are parts in it that are meant for her to be strong but I didn't buy it. Another might have a different opinion on her Kingsglaive Character though cause she does some things that are arguable "Strong"

pashmilla

Banned
Well, except for Cidney/Cindy. There's not much else I can see happening there, so it's probably safe to critique her design and role in the game without much concern that she'll be represented better in the full game.

Yeah, I have many, many things to say about Cindy. Lots of them are swearwords.

mp1990

Banned
Yeah I can't believe how Cindy got a pass from SE. Everything about her screams wrong.

I'm not sure seeing her get hit twice counts as repeatedly assaulted, and while I can see the concern, it's very hard to start judging this as of yet when the game isn't out. I think that right now, the only female character we can really critique is Cindy, given her design and role in the game/how it's been portrayed etc.

I also don't think it's worth reading too much into the fact that she was slapped in the latest trailer. Again, what's the context here? I'm just not ready to roll my eyes like I do with Cindy until I actually know who Lunafreya is. Something I still think is quite a mystery.

I think you are raising valid points. I also find it weird that Luna gets slapped around in the trailers.

Maybe because the main demographic for FF is hetero males? When they see a girl in trouble they may be more motivated to save her in the game (so, more sales)? Could be the reason, hard to tell.

But yeah it's dumb. That's why I like Serah in FF13-2 so much, she and Noel are complete equals.

KrawlMan

Interesting points but I feel like this will be better served when the game is out and we have full context. Sure she may look a certain way in the trailers but that doesn't mean that is her character. Also, I feel like speculation compared to another character we barley knew before she was replaced is also a little weird. Oh and to your point, I don't think Kingsglaive will give you a better impression of her. There are parts in it that are meant for her to be strong but I didn't buy it. Another might have a different opinion on her Kingsglaive Character though cause she does some things that are arguable "Strong"

I also say this discussion needs to wait until the game is out. Kingsglaive doesn't necessarily portray Luna as weak, and it has another female character, Crow Altius, who is a very memorable and strong character. I wouldn't make any assumptions about how this game will pan out.

Don't have much to say about Cindy. Shes basically a push up bra and an abrasive southern accent.

120v

well captors generally slap people around in a hostile takeover. not that she "needed" to be treated that way but i don't get the feeling it was just shoehorned in there because derp

I think you are raising valid points. I also find it weird that Luna gets slapped around in the trailers.

Maybe because the main demographic for FF is hetero males? When they see a girl in trouble they may be more motivated to save her in the game (so, more sales)? Could be the reason, hard to tell.

But yeah it's dumb. That's why I like Serah in FF13-2 so much, she and Noel are complete equals.

I wondered about the point of the slapping as well (I.e., what we're supposed to take away from it in the context of trailers).

If it's just to inspire us to save Luna, it's an icky manipulative technique. If it's to set the stage for Luna subsequently rising up and getting shit done in the face of adversity, that's potentially a different matter. But maybe better left in game then.

I think they were trying to convince people with this trailer that there's an actual emotionally weighty story that develops over the course of the game, so they threw a bunch of emotional scenes in. But I get the concern over highlighting Luna this way.

Kyari

Final Fantasy XV's press cycle in general has been a hard lesson in western gender politics/equality for square I feel.

The English speaking reaction to lack of female party members and sexualisation of Cid totally blindsided them to the point that they didn't understand the problem and initially made fun of it during a Dev stream because they felt wanting more females and not wanting sexualised females were conflicting stances.

Cut to 12 months of English press asking them what's up with no girls and SE spending a lot of PR time telling us there are definitely great strong females in the game as NPCs.

RalchAC

Yeah I can't believe how Cindy got a pass from SE. Everything about her screams wrong.

Well, maybe she exists because merchandise? Otakus spend hundreds of dollars in merchadising.

It was the reason why Quiet design in MGSV was so fanservicy.

Mingledorff

Neo Member
Yeah, no hopes for the character after watching the movie.

Mind you, I don't give a damn about Stella, but Luna right now (Kingsglaive + trailers) is a terrible character.
I actually liked what they did in Kingsglaive where, when able, she was just basically "fuck you, I'm going to do SOMETHING. Even if it kills me." Like, she isn't a fighter, but she was willing to at least TRY to fight for what she believes is right.

Cindy on the other hand....she could be a good character in game (I kinda doubt it) but wow. Between the VR thing and what we've seen so far...youch.

I've had similar thoughts for a while now, although I'm coming from a slighty different perspective.

One of the things I love about JRPGs is often the wide variety of female characters and what they bring to the game, the narrative, the character interactions, the combat. I know that Japan still has problems with truly equal representation, but I think JRPGs are generally very good at having amazing female characters. Yes, often they are more scantily clad than their male counterparts but other than that, very often they're also AWESOME. Strong, powerful but at the same time bringing an emotional and thoughtful component to the game that male characters do not.

Almost ANY JRPG I can think of is better in that respect than FFXV seems to be. It's extremely disappointing.

I am currently playing Trails of Cold Steel 2 and the range of female characters is simply outstanding. From leaders of powerful organizations to amazingly strong warriors or mages, there is an incredible number of female characters which are equal to males and widely known and respected in the game world.

Also Estelle from Trails in the Sky is litereally the best main character from any JRPG ever.

I am not coming from a primarily feminist perspective, but I think it is incredibly disappointing that FFXV is doing absolutely nothing in this aspect and is significantly worse than other games in the genre. As THE major JRPG, it's something that should definitely be discussed.

I don't even have a problem with Cindy, fanservice/eye-candy is totally fine in my book and has a right to exists, but there just aren't enough other characters to balance her out. And the same is more or less true for Luna.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I find the low-key representation of female characters abnormal, including the movie. Maybe the female Japanese audience prefer bishounen characters to females, but I found myself asking where the women were at. I find it quite jarring as a whole. Maybe the full game doesn't have this problem, but the media shared with us (including the movie, which kills off
one of the few viable female characters
) does not promise us much. Definitely disappointed so far.

Kuraudo

Banned
I also say this discussion needs to wait until the game is out. Kingsglaive doesn't necessarily portray Luna as weak, and it has another female character, Crow Altius, who is a very memorable and strong character. I wouldn't make any assumptions about how this game will pan out.

Crowe's treatment is worse than Luna's.
She's killed off purely for the emotional development of the male characters. She doesn't even have the chance at a good death with it occuring off-screen.

But I do feel that it's too early to criticise the game to this extent. What we've seen so far is disappointing and regressive in comparison to the Lightning trilogy, but it's also all from promotional materials which fall into their own set of tropes which aren't always representative of the final product. Once the game is out we'll be in a much better position to analyse whether what we've seen is a true representation of its gender roles and criticise them that way. And if it's not a true representation the criticism can be directed towards the marketing for isolating these more problematic areas and promoting them.

pashmilla

Banned
Crowe's treatment is worse than Luna's.
She's killed off purely for the emotional development of the male characters. She doesn't even have the chance at a good death with it occuring off-screen.

I really, really wanted to talk about this, but having not seen Kingsglaive I didn't feel qualified to =/

Zedark

Hmm, I don't agree with your statement that Luna is portrayed as often assaulted. You mention yourself that she is shown in that state only twice: once as a child and once in the recent trailer. In the first instance her assault is (until now) not clearly understood, so I'd recommend waiting for the game before passing judgment on this instance. The second instance does show her being overpowered and manhandled and hit, but I think in this case the parallel with Noctis being held at sword point earlier in the trailer is significant: I don't believe Ardyn has been established as specifically evil, at most this has been suggested; he is more of a schemer than an evil man from the marketing footage. The newest trailer serves to expose the evil that is attached to the Empire, and the parallel manhandling of Noctis and Luna serves to illuminate this.

I don't think it's fair to say that this manhandling of Luna is due to sexism, but rather is understandable from the context and, in addition, is not limited to her (a female) but extends to Noctis and his friends as well.

Edit: what I've argued above is supplemented by Luna fighting a summon, and generally standing strong against adversity. I think it is too simplified to pass the judgment on sexism from what we've seen at this point. If it turns out she is damseled, and mistreated for no logical reason, you definitely have a point, but I don't see the conclusive evidence yet.

nOoblet16

Lunafreya Nox Fleuret

Are they fucking serious with this name??

I am fucking DONE.
I have a friend in real life called LunaFreyja (pronounced the same as Freya). Fleurete is also a surname that actually exists today in our world.

Beside game has Latin names everywhere and it's a fantasy game...why is it surprising?

Alienous

Firstly, I haven't followed everything about Final Fantasy XV, but I've followed quite a bit, so I could be entirely wrong.

Could it be that she's physically assaulted to assert the villainy of the villains? It's a rudementary way of doing it, but it would show an antagonism between her and her captors. Could it also, perhaps, be due to the villains having nobody else to attack, to maintain them in the player's eyes as an active threat? My understanding is that they do far worse to a lot of characters in the game (males included), such as the protagonist's father, so them being completely non-hostile towards Luna might just seem strange.

You mention also that it could be a misleading marketing focus, but in that case it could have very little to do with the game or anyone who isn't putting together the trailers, and still then it could just be an absent minded thing.

I am trying to withhold judgment about Luna until the game is out, but her treatment in Kingsglaive has certainly made me a lot more wary. It's a shame, as she gives me Yuna/Ashe vibes, who are my two favourite FF female leads. My big concern with FFXV is that you've got a female lead who's driving motivations are primarily centred on the male lead, which is something the Final Fantasy series has amazingly managed to avoid for the most part, outside of maybe Rosa and Tifa. It's probably one of the reasons I've really loved the series since I was a kid, now that I think about it. I know Noctis is vital to saving the world, which is also Luna's motivation, so I guess I'll have to see how it plays out. It's also just a bit unfortunate that FFXV is quite light on with the female supporting and playable cast, half of which are extremely sexualised.

Considering Nomura's track record with female characters, I'm not optimistic Stella would have had a much better time it, really. At least she might have had a bit more motivation outside Noctis. I like Luna, though, and am cheering for the poor gal.

I wondered about the point of the slapping as well (I.e., what we're supposed to take away from it in the context of trailers).

If it's just to inspire us to save Luna, it's an icky manipulative technique. If it's to set the stage for Luna subsequently rising up and getting shit done in the face of adversity, that's potentially a different matter. But maybe better left in game then.

I think they were trying to convince people with this trailer that there's an actual emotionally weighty story that develops over the course of the game, so they threw a bunch of emotional scenes in. But I get the concern over highlighting Luna this way.

Final Fantasy XV's press cycle in general has been a hard lesson in western gender politics/equality for square I feel.

The English speaking reaction to lack of female party members and sexualisation of Cid totally blindsided them to the point that they didn't understand the problem and initially made fun of it during a Dev stream because they felt wanting more females and not wanting sexualised females were conflicting stances.

Cut to 12 months of English press asking them what's up with no girls and SE spending a lot of PR time telling us there are definitely great strong females in the game as NPCs.

Great points with both of these comments, very much agree.

The punchline to all this is that the main party are all ripped from Otomate's textbook on how to write dudes that appeal to women. Like, the only thing that's missing is a female player character and we would have had the first ever AAA otome game.

Vlaphor

I would honestly say that it may be a bit premature to start calling a game sexist based on trailers and scant gameplay footage, but I could see why you'd think that so far.

Personally though, I don't see a single thing wrong with Cidney. She's a cheesecake character for sure, but that's not bad in and of itself. If all characters were like her, maybe, but one ultra-fanservicey character does not a sexist game make.

The punchline to all this is that the main party are all ripped from Otomate's textbook on how to write dudes that appeal to women. Like, the only thing that's missing is a female player character and we would have had the first ever AAA otome game.

Pretty much. The party is 100% targeted to that audience.

Maledict

Firstly, I haven't followed everything about Final Fantasy XV, but I've followed quite a bit, so I could be entirely wrong.

Could it be that she's physically assaulted to assert the villainy of the villains? It's a rudementary way of doing it, but it would show an antagonism between her and her captors. Could it also, perhaps, be due to the villains having nobody else to attack, to maintain them in the player's eyes as an active threat? My understanding is that they do far worse to a lot of characters in the game (males included), such as the protagonist's father, so them being completely non-hostile towards Luna might just seem strange.

You mention also that it could be a misleading marketing focus, but in that case it could have very little to do with the game or anyone who isn't putting together the trailers, and still then it could just be an absent minded thing.

That's the point though. It's a really common, badly overused trope that you show how bad someone is by having them beat up a woman. Lots of games and films do it (Assassins creed always seems to have a serial killer who kills women).

It's a complex issue because on the one hand there are a lot of men who inflict violence on women, and we shouldn't shy away from that - but at the same time, it shouldn't be the only way that we show someone is evil. Which all too often it is - a quick and easy solution to demonstrate how bad something is.

Not just women. I'm bisexual and I'm totally down with most of the men in this game as well. There could be the potential for nonstop fanservice thorough this game...

Oh yeah sorry, I wasn't saying women. Pretty sure Otome games are played by a lot of different people. But if you like Otome, there's a good chance you like at least one or two of the FFXV party members. They're very obvious tropes and I'm not sure how much depth they have beyond that

I just don't understand what makes a character like Cindy, who in localization managed to come off as even more offensive than the base, acceptable to a board meeting.

Yeah this character is totally fine the way it is. Pandering to the minority of minorities to squeeze $$ for dakimakuras surely reinforces your already failing brand.

Not just women. I'm bisexual and I'm totally down with most of the men in this game as well. There could be the potential for nonstop fanservice thorough this game...

Maybe Cindy is SE's attempt to appeal to heterosexual male players who complain about having to play as pretty boys in the game.

maomaoIYP

This thread reminds me of the one complaining about the lead antagonist of Far Cry 4 being gay before the game was released.

Top Bottom