• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On Final Fantasy XV and female characters

Redx508

only on gaf

y1RvCKz.png

OrionX

Ya know, I never 100% understood all the hatred for the "moms are tough" line. Is it just because of the delivery or because of what happened immediately afterward? Then again, the Tidus laugh scene didn't bother me either, so I might have a high threshold for cheese.

pashmilla

Banned
Ya know, I never 100% understood all the hatred for the "moms are tough" line. Is it just because of the delivery or because of what happened immediately afterward? Then again, the Tidus laugh scene didn't bother me either, so I might have a high threshold for cheese.

Having just played the opening of XIII for my retrospective today, I'd say it's definitely the delivery. It could work if it were tongue-in-cheek but Nora delivers it with a completely straight face both times, which just makes it hilarious.

Cynar

Beware spoilers and possible theory. This video explains so much of the story they are going with and why it's the way it is. I'm super excited. It's pretty much tied to Norse mythology very heavily.

https://youtu.be/KtOi7L2X-5U

After watching that video it got me thinking about Disney movies and people don't understand the direction they choose with the stories. They then get upset because a certain race, culture, or sex wasn't portrayed as well as they'd like but missed the entire story, storm Tumblr or the internet(in this case gaf) before the film is even released without fully understanding what they are arguing against. So we end up with a thread that boils down to that they don't agree with how someone should dress while being a mechanic and slamming characters which we practically know nothing about at this point in time.

My personal opinion has changed from outright disliking this game direction last year to being 110% on the hype train the more I read about it. I'm very excited that they are going towards the brothers and Norse gods now and I can't wait to see the full game to fully appreciate this.

OrionX

Having just played the opening of XIII for my retrospective today, I'd say it's definitely the delivery. It could work if it were tongue-in-cheek but Nora delivers it with a completely straight face both times, which just makes it hilarious.

Lol okay I didn't remember her saying it twice, once was more than enough for sure. xD

PtM

Banned
That doesn't really answer the question, but does her design not elicit the male gaze? Isn't that part of the idea and issue of the "male gaze". That these characters were designed by men or women so they can look pretty and be ogled by men?
Yes.

Add me to the crowd that thinks the "Moms are though" like isn't bad, is more the delivery and the cutscene direction of it that stinks.

Kinda like the "HAHAHA" infamous scene.

Jennipeg

Add me to the crowd that thinks the "Moms are though" like isn't bad, is more the delivery and the cutscene direction of it that stinks.

Kinda like the "HAHAHA" infamous scene.

Plus she was interacting with Snow, who is himself cheesy beyond belief. The combination did not lead to a good scene, Snow drags everyone down with his 'hero' nonsense. Stop saying it Snow, just do it.

That said mum's are tough.

The laugh scene is just wonderful in Japanese
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaDocsZkWK0#t=2m22s

Zoe

"Moms are tough" is an outdated idiom in Japanese, and I can't really think of any English idioms that would fit in its place.

They probably should have just rewritten the line. They have no problem doing that elsewhere.

dramatis

Beware spoilers and possible theory. This video explains so much of the story they are going with and why it's the way it is. I'm super excited. It's pretty much tied to Norse mythology very heavily.

https://youtu.be/KtOi7L2X-5U

After watching that video it got me thinking about Disney movies and people don't understand the direction they choose with the stories. They then get upset because a certain race, culture, or sex wasn't portrayed as well as they'd like but missed the entire story, storm Tumblr or the internet(in this case gaf) before the film is even released without fully understanding what they are arguing against. So we end up with a thread that boils down to that they don't agree with how someone should dress while being a mechanic and slamming characters which we practically know nothing about at this point in time.
So theorycrafting explains Cindy, is that what you're saying? Theorycrafting explains poor female character designs and written roles? Theorycrafting and "need the complete product" explains away the sexism in the advertising and presentation?

How about no?

If you need an extraneous video filled with just as much speculation (if not moreso) as the material that you decry in this thread to say that the argument "boils down to not agreeing with how someone dresses", well then, I suggest you don't watch the video and instead read the thread.

Zolo

As someone who doesn't really keep up with FFXV media that much, the feeling I've generally gotten is that Luna's a character that's kept around to keep consistency between Versus, but seems to have no big role on the plot other than maybe letting people know what's going on in the city. Cidney comes off as pandering toward the otaku/native demographic while trying not to come off too badly to the west and failing. Overall, the story emphasis seems to ultimately center around Noctis and his bros meaning no real major female character in the story. Just my impressions.

wmlk

I'm seeing this bounced around:

How do people feel about Cloud (the player) beating Aerith repeatedly while he has her pinned to the ground? Obviously, Sephiroth/Jenova made this happen, but isn't that something that's considerably more intense than what's happened to Luna? Who is seemingly caught in a moment where she's weakened after her encounter with Leviathan?

Aerith is not a physically strong woman. Neither is Luna.

And to the OP, no, Ardyn had not been established as an evil character. The past trailers and media had established him as just a person helping Noctis to become a powerful King. With regards to FFXV the game, this is the first time he's actively the antagonist to the party and Luna. This trailer was basically us being told that it's OK to hate Ardyn now. It's timed after Kingsglaive too with makes this more obvious.

How do people feel about Cloud (the player) beating Aerith repeatedly while he has her pinned to the ground? Obviously, Sephiroth/Jenova made this happen, but isn't that something that's considerably more intense than what's happened to Luna? Who is seemingly caught in a moment where she's weakened after her encounter with Leviathan?

And to the OP, no, Ardyn had not been established as an evil character. The past trailers and media had established him as just a person helping Noctis to become a powerful King. With regards to FFXV the game, this is the first time he's actively the antagonist to the party and Luna. This trailer was basically us being told that it's OK to hate Ardyn now. It's timed after Kingsglaive too with makes this more obvious.

That is actually one scene I wonder how they will tackle with current graphics and today's climate. I think that scene will probably get altered if not omitted into something else.

Cynar

So theorycrafting explains Cindy, is that what you're saying? Theorycrafting explains poor female character designs and written roles? Theorycrafting and "need the complete product" explains away the sexism in the advertising and presentation?

How about no?

If you need an extraneous video filled with just as much speculation (if not moreso) as the material that you decry in this thread to say that the argument "boils down to not agreeing with how someone dresses", well then, I suggest you don't watch the video and instead read the thread.
I'm saying the game isn't out and prejudging characters before the game is released is asinine.

Zolo

That is actually one scene I wonder how they will tackle with current graphics and today's climate. I think that scene will probably get altered if not omitted into something else.

FFVII has a ton of scenes that will be reworked. It has its share of dialogue that just doesn't even work with realistic presentation.

FFVII has a ton of scenes that will be reworked. It has its share of dialogue that just doesn't even work with realistic presentation.

You're right. Cid with the spousal abuse for one and other things.

I wouldn't be surprised if the stuff with Don Corneo got cut.

Nomura said the crossdressing will be in so the Don Corneo segment will be there too, how it will be presented is another story.

I think people is focusing too much in that slap scene, in isolation that's not a bad thing, but the thing is it add ups.

The slap scene is something that piles up to the fact Luna's character in kingslaive was dragged around at the will of other men, and which her own purpose is to serve noctis because destiny said so. She dosn't have agency she's a ragdoll that moves at the song of men and deites tells sing to her. Not to even mention the fact she has to be rescued the whole movie beating to the ground the famous trope.

It piles up to the fact the other relevant woman in the movie becomes another sexist trope, woman in the fridge.

It piles up to Cindy just being weirdo pandering for males.

Every woman representation in the XV world right now sucks balls.

So yeah, if Luna was like Aeris, that scene wouldn't be that bad, if the game had better female representation, yeah that scene wouldn't have received the scrutiny it does. But is not the case, so Luna gettin slaped in the ground is yet another proof of how poor is women treatment in this game and the XV multimedia works.

Hell we just saw in the last anime episode how Noctis's caretaker dies and he gives zero fucks. Because fuck women is all about my paw paw and bros.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal

This scene always confused me as a kid, because it looks like Cloud just shoves her to the ground and then just starts punching her feet, or the ground by it. I was never sure if he was even suppose to be hitting her or just flipping out in general.

I think the difference is that despite Aerith being the one getting, hit, it's Cloud who is conveyed as the vulnerable one. Aerith is enduring what Cloud is being forced to do in order to be able to help him.

Luna on the other hand, is presumable simply being slapped while helpless. Which in itself is fine. Celes was also beaten while chained up as a prisoner and helpless (until it was censored, making it seem like Celes can be made to keel over from insults), but she was also shown to be strong and have agency elsewhere in the game. We'll have to wait and see with Luna.

Top Bottom