• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On Final Fantasy XV and female characters

Mcdohl

I had no idea her thong was visible, too.

Nothing beats Elza from FFXII when it comes to thongs though.

This shit is not even sexy, it's hilarious:
JlEbPBY.jpg

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
But my point is if she didn't have that outfit or if it were say, Iris, in that scene would it actually be a problem?

Again, would this actually be an issue if it weren't for her outfit? How is that camera pan any worse than this?
WNJgFR.gif

That is worse because its focusing specifically on her lower back body, Cid is moving to the side, you can't see his back at all, come on, its not unintentional..

For me, Cindy represents a fundamental issue in that because she doesn't have a character that we can see besides being Cid's 'hot daughter' that the guys oogle over(IIRC Gladio directly does this) while Cid fixes the car, any part of the game's promotion focusing on her being a piece of meat is going to be infinitely magnified.

That is all we get from her, so that's all there is, and that's all they intended

Vlaphor

Put the thong back in the pants, get rid of the extra thigh binding (is one thigh gonna explode? Is that a corset for that part of that leg?) and I can work with that.

Veldin

For me, Cindy represents a fundamental issue in that because she doesn't have a character that we can see besides being Cid's 'hot daughter' that the guys oogle over(IIRC Gladio directly does this) while Cid fixes the car, any part of the game's promotion focusing on her being a piece of meat is going to be infinitely magnified.

She's the head mechanic at Hammerhead. Cid says that he "has diddly-squat to do, what with Cindy taking care of the garage". She runs the business and I believe Tabata has said she's the one doing the repairs/upgrades on the car.

Not trying to shoot down your opinion, just stating it as a matter of fact.

Rappy

I highly doubt that pan is trying to accentuate anything and more of a way to shoot a scene.
I feel like my point is not getting across. That's exactly my point! The only reason things appear to be accentuated is because of her outfit. I'm refuting the argument that the camera angles are the issue when it mainly is her outfit.
That is worse because its focusing specifically on her lower back body, Cid is moving to the side, you can't see his back at all, come on, its not unintentional..

That is all we get from here, so that's all there is, and that's all they intended
What is worse? I'm unsure which scenes you are actually referring to be worse. But I guarantee you, if it were Cidney instead of Cid in that scene I posted, people would find it worse than the scene you're pointing out. All the camera angles are intentional, but I've already asked, if she did not have the outfit she does, would it be offensive?

Also,maybe I'm missing it but Gladio doesn't seem to do this to me. Her being there for Prompto to crush on, on the other hand can be an issue you can take.

Tyaren

The very first showing of cindy is panning up her legs with a view of her ass, then finally panning up to reveal her going to the other cast members.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn5XZCpdAIU

3:10, why can't they just have her walk over to them like a normal person?

Also the way Prompto is ogling her when she approaches...The only thing missing is saliva dripping out of his mouth.

Additionally, what the heck is Prompto trying to do here:

https://youtu.be/bn5XZCpdAIU?t=4m14s

Look to the very left at Cindy.

Vlaphor

come on, you know we've seen worse than that:

images

That, I'm actually ok with. It's ridiculous, but not stupid. I can find it sexy without needing to change anything. The other pic, that was just someone making a dumb design and then throwing fanservice there to try and prop it up.

I don't need a good/serious explanation of why a character is dressed the way they are, but I do need an explanation.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Y'all acting like you've never seen a fanny pack before.

darn tootin

She's the head mechanic at Hammerhead. Cid says that he "has diddly-squat to do, what with Cindy taking care of the garage". She runs the business and I believe Tabata has said she's the one doing the repairs/upgrades on the car.

Not trying to shoot down your opinion, just stating it as a matter of fact.

Gotcha. So hopefully at some point, since there is a timeskip, she'll become more important and less oogle bait. Here's to hoping.

Additionally, what the heck is Prompto trying to do here:
Look to the very left at Cindy.

Politely asking her out on a date. Obviously. hahaha

darn tootin
Gotcha. So hopefully at some point, since there is a timeskip, she'll become more important and less oogle bait. Here's to hoping.

Maybe she will if this mural showing her, along with the rest of the cast, fighting the bad guys is any indication.

And apparently Luna was too strong to be part of it.

Rappy

That is all we get from her, so that's all there is, and that's all they intended
And this was where I was getting at earlier, ready to dismiss with no intention of actually reading/discussing what I wrote and as pointed out by someone else, misconceptions of the character. So I'll quote your post again. Please read my post 9 posts up and clarify/discuss. Or don't (I'm not entitled to a response), but that's the point of these threads right? To discuss things and not just create an echo chamber.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
But my point is if she didn't have that outfit or if it were say, Iris, in that scene would it actually be a problem?

Again, would this actually be an issue if it weren't for her outfit? How is that camera pan any worse than this?
WNJgFR.gif
False equivalence, how does it work.
^
Totes teh same thing bro. /s

If anything, it shows how different the cinematography is with a male character compared to Cindy, not to mention acting direction.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Who are some of you guys favorite female characters in gaming?
Alys Brangwin (Phantasy Star IV)
Eileen the Crow (Bloodborne)
Agrias Oaks (Final Fantasy Tactics)
Ellie (The Last of Us)
Estelle Bright (Trails in the Sky)
Lady Harken (Wild ARMs)
Odessa (Suikoden)
Lorelai (Suikoden series)
Athena (Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel)

Vlaphor

Chie and Rise from Persona 4
Bayonetta
Vanessa, Mai, and Blue Mary from KOF
Sylvia Christel from No More Heroes 1 and 2
Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 1-5, then Legends, Anniversary, and Underworld
Rachel from Ninja Gaiden
Tifa and Aeris from FF VII
Rikku and Lulu from FFX
I-No from Guilty Gear
Chun Li and Cammy from Street Fighter
Morrigan, Leliana, and Vivienne from Dragon Age 1 and 3
Tina, Lisa, Christie, and Mila from Dead or Alive
Kohaku and Ines from Tales of Hearts.

I'm sure there's more, but these are who come to mind right now.

Rappy

^

If anything, it shows how different the cinematography is with a male character compared to Cindy, not to mention acting direction.
What the hell are you on about? Read what I wrote. Discuss what I wrote. You can still disagree with what I've said but all you're doing is dismissing any thing I'm trying to say by cherry picking and ignoring the issue I'm discussing.

poodaddy

Alys Brangwin (Phantasy Star IV)
Eileen the Crow (Bloodborne)
Agrias Oaks (Final Fantasy Tactics)
Ellie (The Last of Us)
Estelle Bright (Trails in the Sky)
Lady Harken (Wild ARMs)
Odessa (Suikoden)
Lorelai (Suikoden series)
Athena (Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel)
This is a really, really good list. It also reminds me that I need to get to playing Suikoden eventually as I've had it in my Vita now for over two years :/. I suck

Vlaphor

Elza's design was so bad they actually redesigned her for the sequel (although it's still ridiculous):

Qg40ETN.png

Never heard of using two belts to hold nylon in place before. Innovative.

You know what, ditch the belts, chose either two nylon or no nylon...and I'm totally ok with this design.

PSY・S;217205013 said:
"Thief" Dressphere:

Q3PcWey.jpg

Two out of three thongs are under their pants (the third seems to have merged with said pants), and there are no extranous belts/nonsymmetrical designs, so I call these better designs

^

Even though I agree that there is pandering when it comes to Cindy with the cinematography, I would argue that if she was in Cid's place it would be more blatant than the one you are comparing to. The reason is Cid's butt is more centered for longer and is the intial focus (well he walks into the scene and it centers on him) while Cindy walks into the scene starting from the ground up. Another important aspect is the camera motion moves with his motion, which a lot of filmmakers do when they want the follow an object through. But since Cid has a pancake booty the panning is nothing really to note. Though now it has been brought to my attention Cid has Hank Hill's butt.

Mediking

Thanks for sharing you guys favorite female characters! It makes me smile! I agree with many of you guys choices. Some of my favorites are Yennefer and Bayonetta!

Rappy

Even though I agree that there is pandering when it comes to Cindy with the cinematography, I would argue that if she was in Cid's place it would be more blatant than the one you are comparing to. The reason is Cid's butt is more centered for longer and is the intial focus (well he walks into the scene and it centers on him) while Cindy walks into the scene starting from the ground up. Another important aspect is the camera motion moves with his motion, which a lot of filmmakers do when they want the follow an object through. But since Cid has a pancake booty the panning is nothing really to note. Though now it has been brought to my attention Cid has Hank Hill's butt.
Oh look, someone didn't take that gif out of context on why I posted it and is actually discussing the issue (well not completely) I'm bringing up while disagreeing! There's hope in this thread yet!

Crossing Eden

What the hell are you on about? Read what I wrote. Discuss what I wrote. You can still disagree with what I've said but all you're doing is dismissing any thing I'm trying to say by cherry picking and ignoring the issue I'm discussing.
The camera pan is worse because of the intent, while the one behind Cid is a typical low angle tracking shot, the one for Cidney is typical in the way that it's meant to highlight her backside, the first introduction to a female character is her backside. The devs knew EXACTLY what they were doing.

Rappy

The camera pan is worse because of the intent, while the one behind Cid is a typical low angle tracking shot, the one for Cidney is typical in the way that it's meant to highlight her backside, the first introduction to a female character is her backside. The devs knew EXACTLY what they were doing.
You're still ignoring why this is brought up in the first place. A user posted that the problem was much more of the camera than Cidney's outfit. I bring up the issue of disagreement and is much more of a problem because of her outfit. If she wore a mechanic's overalls, would this shot still be as offensive? This question has yet to be answered.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This is a really, really good list. It also reminds me that I need to get to playing Suikoden eventually as I've had it in my Vita now for over two years :/. I suck
Thank you!

And yes you suck*, come on, get on that Suikoden! :)

j/k

My various create a characters
Oh, can we name those too? Because yeah, mine too. :)

I almost listed the Boss, too, but I feel all the recent Kojima shenanigans (and learning about his plans for her until that other more moderate guy reigned him in) kind of retroactively ruined her. It's certainly completely irrational, but I don't like her as much anymore. :(

They really had an opportunity to fix the Cindy design after Duscae....I think it was actually the No. 1 complaint in Europe....and they said "nope". While I don't agree the game is outright "sexist" [the guy trip road trip thing is pretty neat and I can understand why they wouldn't have women as a huge part of that story], I think the Cindy design has serious issues and the fact the DLC car doubled down on it instead of taking time to modify it was a huge mistake. Cindy herself is actually a neat character idea, but damn did they blow it in making her a weird fetish doll....thing.

Not to mention how the current design really goes against the whole "grounding the fantasy in reality" thing they kept trumpeting....she looks literally nothing like a mechanic.

They heard the complaints, they said no, so they shouldn't be surprised when people are still mad about it on release.

Also this looked awesome
tumblr_nh10n0K4951qc06c1o1_500.jpg

That concept reminds me of Winry from FMA. Such a miss on their part. Cindy's design is fan service to the extreme.

winry02.jpg

13d33a33e2759a7d.jpg

FMA-Brotherhood-Road-of-Hope-screencaps-edward-elric-and-winry-rockbell-7143189-800-450.jpg

gfxtwin

So is this game gonna have any female characters in your party? Maybe the mechanic girl wearing a revealing outfit in a rural area who seems oddly insistent on talking about her pappy most of the time, etc?

I'll probably play FFXV at some point, but I always thought Square was good at writing likable and fairly nuanced female characters. Lightning, Lulu, Riku, etc. Not sure why there seems to be a noticeable lack of them this time around.

Crossing Eden

You're still ignoring why this is brought up in the first place. A user posted that the problem was much more of the camera than Cidney's outfit. I bring up the issue of disagreement and is much more of a problem because of her outfit. If she wore a mechanic's overalls, would this shot still be as offensive? This question has yet to be answered.
I'd say both are equally as offensive in the way they're used.

So is this game gonna have any female characters in your party? Maybe the mechanic girl wearing a revealing outfit in a rural area who seems oddly insistent on talking about her pappy most of the time, etc?

I'll probably play FFXV at some point, but I always thought Square was good at writing likable and fairly nuanced female characters. Lightning, Lulu, Riku, etc. Not sure why there seems to be a noticeable lack of them this time around.
Boys only, sorry.

Top Bottom