• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare/Worthy MTG Cards You Own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As in, Magic The Gathering. I got into the game around 2004, so no way do I own any of the Alpha/Beta/Arabian Nights cards. Definitely would of wished I would of bought a few back in the day before they went up in price, but alas that won't happen.

DemiMatt

I have a Karakas, & 2 Moats from Legends. . . well technically 1 Moat and 1 Fosato (Italian Moat).

Everything else I have, has been reprinted so many times they aren't worth anything.

zoukka

I used to have about 20 nm Force of Wills. They were pretty valuable even back then but today... 60 euros a piece.

JesseZao

Irregardless, I never owned any cards. For all intensive purposes its always been to rich for my tasting. Could of gotten into it if there was a good digital version.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Just recently finished a complete Legends set. I've always loved that set, so it's nice to have it complete. I've got a ton of other fairly rare cards on top of that, but the Legends set is the most impressive one I guess.

I bought a load of "emrakul, the aeons torn"s when they were dirt cheap because everyone thought they were shit day one. Rolled a few tournaments then sold them for like $30 each.

I started at the end of alara and left when after a few FNM's 14 out of my last 15 games were against blinking thragtusks. Rolled most of them with a B/U/W control deck but that entire ordeal just put me off the competetive scene.

ido

Used to have the entire Power 9, every dual land, 8 Beta sinkholes, and about anything else you can imagine.

I sold it all stupidly to go to fucking Vegas over ten years ago.

I hate myself.

castlegar

I've been playing for only a few years. The most rare/valuable things I have are five expedition lands (Polluted Delta, Horizon Canopy, Steam Vents, Wooded Foothills, and a Cinder Glade), some of the more pricey modern staples (Goyfs, LotVs), and hot foils from some of the more recent sets that I've pulled (two foil Ugins, a few foil fetches).

Nothing too, too crazy, but I'm happy to have some cool stuff.

I never had anything obscenely expensive. Relative to my investment in the series, I did feel pretty good about getting a booster box, splitting it, and getting a Snapcaster Mage in one pack, and a foil Snapcaster Mage in the very next pack.

OnPoint

I have a pretty reasonably valuable collection, but the crown jewel(s) is my 4x set of every dual land. All revised, but I'm glad I knocked those out.

Media

Beta Birds of Paradise.

A ton of cards from the early 90s.

I have boxes of cards. I quit playing in like 2008, so I have no idea what anything is worth.

ElyrionX

Bunch of revised dual lands as well as Gaea's Cradle, Mana Drain, Imperial Recruiter and a whole lot of other semi-valuable cards such as Mana Crypt, Zen fetches, Mox Diamond, etc.

A few, Buying stuff on the reserved list is safer than the stock market at this point. I bought my revised dual lands when they were less than $100 each, now... Dem Underground Seas though...

Image.ashx

Because every blue deck worth its salt should be running four Vizzerdrixes.

Firemind

I have a Beta Shivan Dragon. Not that rare I think. I could have gotten the Alpha version but I don't like the rounder borders.

It's possible my four Japanese (edit: FOIL) Kamigawa dragons are rarer because of the limited print run. Just missing Jugan.

I also have a few promos like full art Champs Niv-Mizzet. Doran is worth more but oh well.

I had an English Zodiac Dragon but stupidly traded for a Chinese one many years ago. :lol

Silav101

Irregardless, I never owned any cards. For all intensive purposes its always been to rich for my tasting. Could of gotten into it if there was a good digital version.

Regardless. Intents and purposes. Could have.

This post hurt me :(

On-topic: Foil Emrakul and foil Jace, the Mind Sculptor. Multiple Liliana of the Veil snapped up when they were cheap.

Stasis

Regardless. Intents and purposes. Could have.

This post hurt me :(

On-topic: Foil Emrakul and foil Jace, the Mind Sculptor. Multiple Liliana of the Veil snapped up when they were cheap.

Yeah I had a little eye twitch going on there as well, lol. It's like three of my biggest peeves in one tiny post.

I have a slightly misprinted stroke of genius from Urzas saga that is probably worth something. Also have an alpha or beta copy of Blessing - the one that just says W: +1/+1 and doesn't mention that it ends at end of turn :)

321.jpg

My physical collection of cards is tiny. The most expensive card is a Polluted Delta (Onslaught) and it's a pretty crappy rare when you play casual sealed decks.

XShagrath

Used to have the entire Power 9, every dual land, 8 Beta sinkholes, and about anything else you can imagine.

I sold it all stupidly to go to fucking Vegas over ten years ago.

I hate myself.
I've got you beat. I used to have full sets from Arabian Nights to Fallen Empires. I had four copies of every dual land as well. When Fallen Empires came out (and it was a shit set), I started to see the enthusiasm dry up in my area. I was in Alaska at the time, and the internet was in its infancy, so I was kinda isolated and thought the game was on its way out.

I couldn't find a personal buyer that would buy everything up front. There was a guy who wanted to buy stuff in increments, but me being 18, I wanted all the money up front. I stupidly sold all of the sets to the comic/gaming shop I worked at for about $2,000. I ended up using that money to buy a kick-ass new PC. It was a 486 DX/100 /w (I believe) 4MB of RAM and a 2x CD-ROM.

I look back on that as one of the worst decisions I've made in my entire life.

Spiders

Most valuable cards I currently have are 2 Marsh Flats, an Arid Mesa and a Misty Rainforest from Zendikar.

I also have one of the Return to Zendikar expeditions, but it's the least valuable one.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I had Black Lotus back in the day (like 20 years ago). Never knew its value until years after my mum had made them all with her magical cleaning skills. No idea where it is now, probably wouldn't be worth much either since I used no sleeves on the cards.

Carcetti

I've never been a really serious player but I have some nice old cards in my deck somewhere. (If I can still find it, ever) I think one was called Maze of Ith and other was Sword of Something and Something. I used them in a deck that was based on a card that turned creatures into other creatures based on their mana cost, somehow. That's probably really vague.

I had Black Lotus back in the day (like 20 years ago). Never knew its value until years after my mum had made them all with her magical cleaning skills. No idea where it is now, probably wouldn't be worth much either since I used no sleeves on the cards.

Even a battered and worn Black Lotus is worth thousands. Go dig it up!

Used to be big on mtg. Still have a full set of bayous, a tolarian academy, and a Gaea cradle.

Still love my necropotence the most though.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I finally catalogued my non bulk rates this summer and it said the value was between $12,000 and $16,000. Most expensive card is an unlimited tropical island worth about $300. Followed by a foil Jace the mind sculptor. After that would probably be the various revised dual lands, force of wills, fetchlands, and all the various staples like wasteland, show and tell, and blood moons and so on.

eXistor

I used to have a bunch of rare-ish land cards like Underground Sea, Savannah, Volcanic Island and another one I think, I forget.

I sold them most of them last year (I still have Savannah) and made around €300,-.

I have a foil promo Gisela, The Broken Blade that I pulled at the EDM pre-release.

I also have two Liliana, The Last Hope s that I got lucky over and managed to pull out of two separate packs.

And I have a shit ton of awesome angels, like Avacyn, Angel of Hope and Linvala, Keeper of Silence, but nothing super noteworthy other than that.

Violet_0

Banned
I was practically robbed blind by other MTG players when I was a kid. Cards like Show and Tell and other good stuff. Nerds can be awful people too

AndrewPL

I have a massive collection...but it is all packed away.

I need to start getting rid of it...but it is so much work sorting through it. 4 years ago I started getting rid of dual lands (underground seas, volcanic islands etc) now they are worth 4 times as much.

It looks like it's a bubble though, the prices are way to high to be sustainable, especially in modern.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
At my parents house I have a deck of like 50 cards from the mid 90s that my friend from high school gave me for no reason because he was too cool for that stuff anymore. I never started playing. What are the odds of anything valuable being in it?

Fliesen

As in, Magic The Gathering. I got into the game around 2004, so no way do I own any of the Alpha/Beta/Arabian Nights cards. Definitely would of wished I would of bought a few back in the day before they went up in price, but alas that won't happen.

I could care less about owning any rare cards....except Juzam Djinn. Should have bought one back in the day.

is this thread some kind of weird guerilla social experiment to trigger the grammar nazis on this forum?!

ontopic: i wasn't aware MTG card collecting is still a think.

Saroyan

I have all the dual lands from revised, multiples of some. I have a lot of other cards from around then, I should sell them.

Started with Arabian Nights, but only managed to get a handful of packs for each expansion through Dark (though I do have a complete set of that). Sold a Guardian Beast when they were $70 or so, and a Bazaar cheaper than they go for now, like $160. Sigh. Do have a Collector's Edition (with the gold borders) I've been meaning to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom