• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Chase: Cold Case Investigations ~ Distant Memories: Spoiler Thread

Given there's no OT up for this game yet (and I don't know if anyone's planning to make one), I'll put all spoilers in spoiler tags for now, but I imagine others who finish this game will want to discuss it, so here's a thread to do so.

SQ_3DSDS_ChaseColdCaseInvestigationsDistantMemories.jpg

The game is out now on Nintendo eShop for $6/£6, with a 20% discount avaliable for My Nintendo users in Europe.

The rest of the OP is merely structural spoilers and nothing narrative, but spoiler-tagged in any case.

I'd read that this game is short, but apparently 2-3 hours. I just hit the credits after only an hour. Admittedly, what I played was good, but the ending was somewhat abrupt. After the credits I was booted straight back to the main menu with no signs of more content.

Anyway, feel free to set me straight on the game's length if I'm missing something, or share in my frustration. Moreover, fire away with discussion of what was, for my money, a decent if short murder mystery VN.

Edit: (still only structural discussion)
Yeah, having just researched - it really is just 1 hour, with more episodes potentially to come later. I personally hope they do.

I noticed there's a 20% reward on MyNintendo, but for some reason it's throwing an error when I try to redeem it. Anyone been able to do it?

Edit: oh, I think this might be for Europe.

Detective themed Visual novel from the makers of Hotel Dusk and Last Window. Similar in structure to the Ace Attorney series in some ways also. Only 1 hour long, but good for its duration. Localised by Aksys.
Sold, is there legitimate gravitas or is it silly like Danganronpa?

-shadow-

I was thinking about making a OT if no one else was going to bother so kind of happy to see this topic. I'm playing the game right now and reached the part with the Clover, I'm about an hour in or so I think. I'm enjoying it, but it's clearly made on a shoestring budget. I hope if a sequel ever comes out that there's a bit more to do.

I was thinking about making a OT if no one else was going to bother so kind of happy to see this topic. I'm playing the game right now and reached the part with the Clover, I'm about an hour in or so I think. I'm enjoying it, but it's clearly made on a shoestring budget. I hope if a sequel ever comes out that there's a bit more to do.

You have about
minutes left of the game.

-shadow-

Yeah I just finished it. I liked it, but this is really ridiculously short. Almost feels like it'll be an episodic series if this goes all well. So hopefully all goes well and they'll be able to continue and actually make it a bit more like the previous games.

hopefully people don't go in expecting more than, like, a taste. it's a teeny drop of cing for parched cing fans. the style and art and music are all there, it just hasn't manifested itself into a full product yet. and hopefully that changes in the future.

the main thing i hope for if they decide to continue on to a full game
outside of rika suzuki
is that they return to an adventure game format rather than sticking with almost entirely a VN. one of the main strengths of the hyde games (and another code to a lesser extent) is the mood of the environment and the familiarity you gain with it. i didn't really expect that here, in such a short, exclusively dialog-based game, but hopefully they can touch on that in future works.

D-Man

Just finished the game. I liked it a lot. The characters felt pretty realistic like in Hotel Dusk and Last Window, the music was on point, and it was engaging to see where the story went.

I really hope they end up making a full game instead of an episodic series cause I just want to see how this will all end.

Also, someone needs to upload the soundtrack ASAP. That was honestly the best thing from the game.

Gvitor

Just finished. I didn't like it much. It has some of the style of Hotel Dusk, which is good, but it's clearly an incomplete package. If they follow through with the future episodes it might be better in the long run, but right now I just don't see it.
It was really short, with barely any input needed (you choose options from time to time, but they're so painfully obvious that I had to purposely choose the wrong one once to see if the "bar" thing in the lower screen was actually a HP bar stand-in. You can examine 2 pictures, but they're context-sensitive, so you can only examine them when they show up and you can only move on when you examine all of it. The only "challenge", if you can call it that, is when they ask you to point out the possible cause of murder. But that's not because of the challenge itself, it's because they only give you one chance and the picture is a mess of indistinguable stuff.

The worst part, however, was the narrative. The story is fine, mind you, but the way they presented it was completely unceremonial. There was no mistery at all, once they laid any sort of foundation for something, you could see where they're going and predict it all. There was no twist, no a-ha moment, no great ending to reminisce about. Just a cliffhanger in a seemingly finished story - which, again, might pay off, but right now I don't see it.

Draxal

Beat it and loved it.

But it was set up with a cliffhanger so its frustrating in that regard.

Theme/Presentation were great.

LAA

Damn just beat it, that was ridiculously short. Feel a bit conned and disappointed tbh. I mean there isn't really much gameplay and some things about the presentation feel "cheap", all I can say is the style and music are great, really take me back to Hotel Dusk which is probably the only positive thing I can say about it sadly...
Sadly though, I mean even if we get a full length game after all parts are released, if each part is similar to this, can't say I'll be so impressed in the end either.
Like there isn't so many backgrounds/environments for a start, gameplay is just selecting choices, (of which are mostly just testing if you've been paying attention), and when you're selecting points of interest in rooms, I wouldn't say it's very clear which are points of interest.
I mean comparing it to Hotel dusk, that had exploration, puzzles, choices, optional tasks. This feels like essentially a game mostly similar to the recap sections of Hotel dusk, which I can't say makes for a great game alone. Really hope next parts improve on it gameplay wise, art wise too. Doesn't feel there's much content there. The character designs and animations are nice, but it seemed environment wise there was like 2-4 background images?
Maybe I'm just expecting too much considering the price this was, but other episodic games have felt bigger in scale and content than this has, so don't think my feelings and thoughts are too unfair.

orient

Neo Member
I really enjoyed it. I thought the price was fine for what felt like a solid first case in a mini-series. I'm just worried we won't see the rest.

I actually really liked the pace of the story. Usually in visual novels like this you figure out what's going on way before the characters in the game and you have to sit around and wait for the "big reveal" -- it's frustrating, and it's the main reason I didn't love Danganronpa. It really treats you like you're dumb. In Chase, the detective comes to conclusions at the same time as you, which is awesome. Feels a lot more natural.

I can't believe it was short as it was... but holy shit. The confession from Hisada really choked me up, was so sad. But that ending... there needs to be more episodes and soon!

Haha so I've put off playing this for an entire week waiting until I had time to really sit down and dig in... oops. Could've just beat it any day during a lunch break.
Beautiful aesthetic, poor gameplay. Disappointed overall, especially for the price.

Top Bottom