• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - Item Boxes, Shotgun, & Telephone Mysterious Caller Video

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjqh-BPYU7U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tIC7vd_lPY

Thanks to Jake2by4 for pointing out. Shows Item Boxes, the Shotgun, & the 'Mysterious Caller' for RE7.

These are from the Resident Evil Ambassador Program:

c1ea9a66c14f05a03fe7d2654774cdf9.png

As Jawmuncher points out, a hidden image is included that might be hiding something also:

img_0322bish6.png

Jawmuncher

There might be something on this image

At this point I feel the Mysterious Caller will be another nod to the series prior. People joked about it being ada awhile back. But at this point it wouldn't even surprise me.
Nice to see the shotgun and item box, now we just gotta see Ethan blow the face off of something.

pb3zpop9s9w.gif

kc44135

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjqh-BPYU7U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tIC7vd_lPY

Thanks to Jake2by4 for pointing out. Shows Item Boxes, the Shotgun, & the 'Mysterious Caller' for RE7.

These are from the Resident Evil Ambassador Program:

c1ea9a66c14f05a03fe7d2654774cdf9.png

As Jawmuncher points out, a hidden image is included that might be hiding something also:

img_0322bish6.png

Wow, very cool! It's great to see item management, and it's awesome that item boxes are coming back to RE after all these years (there were technically item boxes in REV1, but you could only store guns from what I recall).

pb3zpop9s9w.gif

It's incredible how just a simple thing like this filled me with satisfaction. Just seeing the box for the first time and the arrangement of the inventory was all I needed to start throwing money at the screen. Day 1 confirmed.

Jawmuncher

Glad to help. Date looks like 2018.. RE2 Remake

If it's an actual tease on REmake 2 than that sounds about right. 2018 I think is the RE2 anniversary anyway. Though it could just be an obscured 2016. Though the flash on that screen to me has to indicate something. I'd appreciate if someone could capture that at 1080p

Wow, very cool! It's great to see item management, and it's awesome that item boxes are coming back to RE after all these years (there were technically item boxes in REV1, but you could only store guns from what I recall).

You could technically say RE5 had them too.

Dusk Golem

Glad to help. Date looks like 2018.. RE2 Remake

It does look like it says Resident Evil 2. Also of note is the Item Box video has a screen too, and the screen shows there will be 10 or more of these 'small videos' showing off elements of RE7, the first being the "Mysterious Caller" (I guess the phone thing will end up being in the final game!), and the second being Item Boxes. Those make Reels 1 & 2, and there's at least 10 more (though there's also an arrow pointing to the right so might imply there's more?).

"Resident Evil" has a 2 underneath it, and then what looks like 18. I doubt it means 2018, maybe it means the 18th one of these (if there are that many) will show something, or they're going to show something for REmake 2 on the 18th? Or maybe 2.18, so February 18th? Though there is a lock next to it, it might just mean the second batch of these will be on the 18th.

kc44135

pb3zpop9s9w.gif

It's incredible how just a simple thing like this filled me with satisfaction. Just seeing the box for the first time and the arrangement of the inventory was all I needed to start throwing money at the screen. Day 1 confirmed.

Yeah, same here. This was awesome.

kc44135

If it's an actual tease on REmake 2 than that sounds about right. 2018 I think is the RE2 anniversary anyway. Though it could just be an obscured 2016. Though the flash on that screen to me has to indicate something. I'd appreciate if someone could capture that at 1080p

You could technically say RE5 had them too.

Yeah, I guess. It's really not the same to me, though. In RE5, you could access the storage anytime you hit a checkpoint, and there were tons of those. In the older RE games, there was this sense of relief and satisfaction when you found a save room with an item box. You could finally unclutter your inventory, and pick up all the stuff you could carry from the box, and it was just a great feeling. It's sort of like hitting a bonfire in Dark Souls, I guess.

Jawmuncher

Yeah, I guess. It's really not the same to me, though. In RE5, you could access the storage anytime you hit a checkpoint, and there were tons of those. In the older RE games, there was this sense of relief and satisfaction when you found a save room with an item box. You could finally unclutter your inventory, and pick up all the stuff you could carry from the box, and it was just a great feeling. It's sort of like hitting a bonfire in Dark Souls, I guess.

Yeah which is why I said technically. It's a box that holds items, but as you said it doesn't carry the same weight.

---

Find it funny that this Shotgun and Item Box vid did more for me than the last full trailer.

JayEH

more of this and less of the hiding stuff please. this 30 second clip is 1000% more interesting than everything they've shown so far.

kc44135

Btw, Dusk, apologies if you or somebody else has mentioned this previously, but has there been any mention of how saving works in RE7? I mean, item boxes are back... is it possible typewriters are too? I'm sure there's autosaving, checkpoints, etc., but it would be awesome to see typewriters again (and maybe have multiple save files again while we're at it).

Could this image be a reference to the lenght of the game? 5 volumes, 2 chapters each. Sounds about right looking at previous Resident Evil campaings (RE4 had 5 chapters, RE5 had 6 and each of RE6 campaings had 5 chapters)

Neff

This really is looking like an old school Resident Evil in first person. Hope they've pulled it off.

Could this image be a reference to the lenght of the game? 5 volumes, 2 chapters each. Sounds about right looking at previous Resident Evil campaings (RE4 had 5 chapters, RE5 had 6 and each of RE6 campaings had 5 chapters)

It's the schedule for this series of bite-sized promotional videos. There'll be 8 more leading up to release.

more of this and less of the hiding stuff please. this 30 second clip is 1000% more interesting than everything they've shown so far.

Agreed. The lingering pan sans shaky cam, ambient noise and the menu stuff finally feels like RE to me.

Dusk Golem

RE7 has actually been confirmed to be dropping the chapter system altogether and is a fluid experience like the older games not split into segments.

Jawmuncher

Btw, Dusk, apologies if you or somebody else has mentioned this previously, but has there been any mention of how saving works in RE7? I mean, item boxes are back... is it possible typewriters are too? I'm sure there's autosaving, checkpoints, etc., but it would be awesome to see typewriters again (and maybe have multiple save files again while we're at it).

I think the most recent interview said saving would be handled by difficulty. Sounded like the easier the difficulty would be auto saving and such. While higher difficulty would be old school get to a typewriter.

I think for sure the stuff on the left is the amount of videos. The stuff on the right though, as was said above especially that X, are very interesting.

kc44135

Yeah which is why I said technically. It's a box that holds items, but as you said it doesn't carry the same weight.

---

Find it funny that this Shotgun and Item Box vid did more for me than the last full trailer.

Yeah, I'd say this has me more hyped than anything else we've seen.

Dusk Golem

In the most recent interview, it was said that saving changes per difficulty, on the easiest difficulty the game autosaves, and on harder difficulties the saving system won't be 'as nice to you'. They mention the saving system is like RE4, so I take that as meaning there's typewriters around to save that, on easier difficulties you get autosaves, maybe on normal you only can save at typewriters with no autosaves, and on hard you have limited saves. That last part would be my guess from the information given.

kc44135

I think the most recent interview said saving would be handled by difficulty. Sounded like the easier the difficulty would be auto saving and such. While higher difficulty would be old school get to a typewriter.

I think for sure the stuff on the left is the amount of videos. The stuff on the right though, as was said above especially that X, are very interesting.

Wow, that sounds like a really great approach to it, actually.

kc44135

In the most recent interview, it was said that saving changes per difficulty, on the easiest difficulty the game autosaves, and on harder difficulties the saving system won't be 'as nice to you'. They mention the saving system is like RE4, so I take that as meaning there's typewriters around to save that, on easier difficulties you get autosaves, maybe on normal you only can save at typewriters with no autosaves, and on hard you have limited saves. That last part would be my guess from the information given.

Yeah, I really like the sound of all this. I actually think it's really great when Devs do more with their higher difficulties other than just "the enemies are bullet sponges now, and you die faster". It will be interesting to see what other changes are to made to the game on higher difficulties.

Jawmuncher

The more they slowly reveal, the more I sit back and laugh cause people were worried this would be nothing like RE.

I don't blame anyone for being weary. It's part of what is going to bite you back with this sort of marketing. I don't think anyone will be upset being proven wrong. Better to not expect much than to expect too much.

rtcn63

Yeah, RE has been so many things from iteration to iteration that you can't really be sure what you're getting.

Hopefully it doesn't fall apart halfway through like The Evil Within. Very uneven game.

I don't think it fell apart, just shifted gameplay styles from stealth to heavy action. It's less of a shock on subsequent playthroughs because you're more prepared for it. But yeah, it's kinda filler-y and frustrating as hell your first time.

I don't blame anyone for being weary. It's part of what is going to bite you back with this sort of marketing. I don't think anyone will be upset being proven wrong. Better to not expect much than to expect too much.

Very true but they kept touting this was going back in that direction and that they were purposely limiting exposure but people tend to think the worst.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
If this is ends up being close to a first-person The Evil Within I'm game as fuck
This looks WAY more like a straight up FP resident evil 1. Holy shit these homages and the aesthetic. Sincerely hoping this is like the SW Ep:VII of Resident Evil.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
No matter how many times I see it and no matter how many games do it, I will never tire of first person gun inspections when you get a new one. Especially if it ends with pumping a shotgun.

Javin98

Banned
Just a little technical jumbo, but I'm a bit disappointed by the quality of the depth of field in the shotgun video. After playing DOOM and loving the extremely high quality bokeh DoF when inspecting weapons and items, I was kinda hoping for a bit more than in the video. I could be wrong, but it also looks more like Gaussian blur rather than bokeh.

The only decision I have to make involving this game is whether or not I (attempt to) play this game in PSVR. I get scared by games easily and don't honestly know if I can handle getting familied in VR.

Top Bottom