• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Grand Tour is a month away: What are your favourite Top Gear segments/moments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
b48c0f51741d9e1e63186ee2cfebcfd00d466fa74c84d3d8cb9c33ed7d8e5b30.jpg

So, Top Gear has left quite the legacy for The Grand Tour to live up to. The format will be quite different from the Top Gear we all know and love, but the glue of the show has always been the hosts and their chemistry. It's what connected the sexy cinematography, the knowledge of cars being dispensed, the humour, and the adventures we keep coming back for.

It's among my favourite media productions ever because it has given me a constant supply of beautiful moments for over a decade. So many that, sometimes it's impossible to remember how many amazing and/or hilarious moments there have been across the history of the show because there must be hundreds at this point.

Here are some of mine, and I'm sure I'll think of ones I like even more later:

The Toyota Hilux

tumblr_n9cvu811KO1qjirrjo5_400.gif

Probably what opened my eyes to the show was seeing them put this poor Hilux through it's paces and seeing it persevere crashes, having caravans dropped on it, being left out at high tide, lit on fire, and put atop a apartment building that they then demolished.

Rolling a Reliant Robin

1452787848-reliant.gif

The clip linked above doesn't justice to how hilarious this was because it cuts out the montage beforehand, but for something that is so simple, I have never laughed so damn hard.

The Stig crashes the Koenigsegg CCX

BewRG4i.gif

This car was quite the buzz at the time, so seeing this happen without knowing it was going to happen beforehand was pretty crazy.

Enzo Review

i551602.jpg

See username, but it was also just wonderful all-around segment from the plugging because Ferrari wouldn't lend them a car to review to the shots of it alongside the Carrera GT and Zonda.

Campervan Challenge

Top20Gear20Cliff.gif

It's hard for me to choose the best challenge, so I'm just going to say this one. Truck driver, man with a van, amphibious car, police car, the list goes on. Bonus GIFs of the Alabama cars:

tumblr_n1tiqoiY9F1rb4d2ho5_400.gif
tumblr_n1tiqoiY9F1rb4d2ho6_400.gif
tumblr_n1tiqoiY9F1rb4d2ho4_400.gif

The Cool Wall

tumblr_n2dn5mLDJb1rdhutmo1_500.gif

Honestly, I almost never agreed with this segment (audience or presenters), but it was an awesome thing to do, and grossly underutilized over the course of the show.

- - - - -

What say you?

Sky Chief

Sailing the channel, making a reliant robin space shuttle, making limos (especially when the bank of Jeremy's falls off but it's okay because he has front wheel drive)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
If I had to pick one singular moment, it would probably be the Porsche Pipe News Segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIDXQYTqTIk

Best episode ever. Tough one. So many good races and specials. Probably go with the Vietnam or Polar special as the top special.

Best Review was the Aston Martin Vantage. Especially for the double effect of people freaking out that it was the end of the show when it aired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q0Svvdrx_E

Pretty much every one of the epic road trip episodes (especially Vietnam, Bolivia, Burma and Botswana). They're just the best. Also the first attempt at amphibious cars probably made me literally piss myself laughing. The convertible people carrier was solid too, when they damn near drown in the carwash and then set the thing on fire. And of course the limos. Or literally any of the cheap car challenges. God they did a lot of good TV. Gun to my head, the Vietnam special takes it. Hopefully they can recapture some of that magic on The Grand Tour.

CSX

One of their first car challenges where they bought cheap used supercars. When James appeared in his car immediately on the back of a truck, i was in tears lol

Dougald

The entirety of the Vietnam special is what originally inspired me to get my motorcycle license, so that. A great piece of TV which also led me to the most enjoyable hobby I've ever had

Morat

Banned
The Vietnam and Bolivia specials are fantastic. From the episodes - crossing the channel, the Hammerhead Eagle I-Thrust electric 'car', and the cheap car challenges were always great.

TG-Electric-Car.jpg

DieH@rd

Banned
I really liked that moment when they got the challenge to pass the English Channel in their crappy cars. The following few minutes were amazing.

terrible

Banned
The amphibious car challenge was one of my favs. Jeremy's Toybota sinking with him and Hammond on it followed by May winning and declaring that sailing is really boring kills me.

Clarkson and Hammond laughing when May falls into the water on the way to the bar in Vietnam is hilarious too.

The show went downhill in the final years. Felt like they were phoning it in and overrelied on just superficially cocking about. Hopefully now they appreciate it a bit more.

samn

Best part was when Clarkson put a producer in the hospital and made him fear for his job, ultimately leading to an even more lucrative career opportunity with Amazon. good ol clarky eh just a bit o lads bantz

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
"Budget Supercars" is my favorite, followed closely by the 4-door convertibles and the Alfas and the british sportscars and the british cars and the aw forget it.

ForceAwakens7Text.gif

TTG

Too many to list! I'll go with solo videos from each presenter for starters:

Jeremy in the smallest car in the world.

Mika Hakkinen teaches James May to be fast.

Hammond reviews the murcielago roadster, goes running with the bulls in Pamplona.

For group tests race prepped Aston(that May ended up driving nude)/911 RS/lambo and Jeremy and May in that Merc Pullman/Bentley review come to mind.

Ultimately, Vietnam is king. Bostwana was great as well, but not like that.

Bonus: Jeremy eviscerates Ferrari owners.

My favorites...hmm easily the Amphibious Cars challenges. Followed by the big specials and any of the cheap car challenges. Really excited for the new show.

Ah I see people are trying their best to derail the thread. Good job guys.

RSP

Supercar for 10k
Porsche for 1500
The endurance race in the 330d
Vietnam special

Screw it, I'm watching it again :p

The Greatest Driving roads in the world episodes:

Series 10
Series 14

- The Camper Van challenge,
- 3 small cars in Ukraine(Where they go to Chernobyl)
- Communist cars segment

- The Buggati Veyron/Truffle Race to London.
- 10k Supercar Challenge
- Cheap European Sports Saloon Car challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom