• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata - Combat Details and Developer Notes

Exentryk

2B’s Basic Characteristics
Battle is performed in a seamless, open world. In battle the Square button is for “speed attacks”, the Triangle button for “heavy attacks”, and any additional attacks can be chained together depending on which button is pressed to create a simple yet refreshing battle system.

Speed & Heavy Attacks
For these types of attacks, you are able to equip whatever set of weapons you like, from single-handed and double-handed swords to gauntlets and twin blades. You can equip two sets of two weapons, and you can switch between these two sets with the touch of a single button. For example, if you have a single-handed and double-handed swords equipped in Set 1, you can easily switch to Set 2 with a gauntlet and single-handed sword to continue your attack.

Simple controls allow you to perform a multitude of attacks!

There are no complex strings of combo attacks; instead, your attack will continue as it registers additional button inputs.

Single-handed Blade
This type of weapon is easy to use and has a nice balance of attack power, speed, and range. There are plenty of different skills that have easily connecting combos regardless of the situation in battle.

[...]

Gauntlets
Although the attack range is relatively short, the advantage of this weapon is its speed and how many successful fits you can achieve in a short amount of time. It is the singular weapon of choice in one-on-one combat with its strength in speed and ease of landing special attacks.

Evasion
By pressing R2, you are able to dodge enemy attacks at any time. Dashes can also be performed by adding in the Left analog stick with R2. Being able to dodge in a sort of arc motion is unique to Automata that you can see in various trailer footage. If you manage to successfully dodge as an enemy is about to attack (this is referred to as a perfect dodge*), your player character will seem to glow golden and be temporarily invincible. This will allow you the perfect window for attack.

HardImmediateCats.gif

Upgradeable Pod
Part of the standard equipment of the YoRHa Squadron are the support “Pod” units that come with various built-in equipment for long-range attacks. They can also be used to increase your mobility.Press R1 to activate the Pod support system and attack enemies at a distance. Although Pod is generally manually controlled, but you are able to turn on the Target Lock with L2 to help aim, but in this case, some of bullets will scatter uncontrollably. By gathering materials and providing a little cash, Pod can be upgraded at special maintenance shops in each location. Other than upgrading basic functions such as attack power, it is also possible to obtain different, unique attacks as well.

Pod on the Offense
・Machine gun fire!
・Laser attacks!
・More special attacks (besides laser attacks)!

PodBlastCooldowngif.gif

Production Notes
Adding in new specifications by Director Yoko

Hi, I’m the lead animator, Muranaka. I manage animation quality and produce animations for the player characters.

[...]

First of all, we’re working on the development of the demo version of the game to be released at the end of the year, so for those of you who are looking forward to that, please hang in there! For those of you who don’t really know what this game is all about, the demo is free, so this is the perfect chance for you to try it out!

The demo version will be for a limited time only (maybe*)! Without forgetting the feeling of the controls or the action-packed battles, I hope that you’ll check out the demo!

* We will release more information regarding the release schedule of the demo version soon. (Square Enix PR Manager)

Article was in Famitsu issue 1455. More at Nier2.com

I think that Dodge mechanic is perfect, sounds just the right balance between Bayonetta's big combo reward and the demand it takes to pay attention.

"There are no complex strings of combo attacks; instead, your attack will continue as it registers additional button inputs."

Just in case you forget this is an RPG first and foremost.

I'm going gauntlet majority of the game. Love giant fists.

Ubernube

"There are no complex strings of combo attacks; instead, your attack will continue as it registers additional button inputs."

It's a basic light attack, strong attack system. They've already said the combat's more simplified compared to their usual efforts, so not surprising that they're not placing an emphasis on memorizing combos.

Golnei

I don't know, that sounds like it could just as easily be describing Bayonetta - there are combo strings, but their implementation is relatively free-form and there's no particular punishment for whiffing combos. I do expect Nier's system to be simpler, but I don't think it'll be completely devoid of those aspects.

correojon

So the combat system is basically Bayonetta on Infinite Climax (no Witch Time) but with additional invulnerability. Cool!

Exentryk

Has a collector's edition been announced outside of Japan yet?

Not yet.

It's a basic light attack, strong attack system. They've already said the combat's more simplified compared to their usual efforts, so not surprising that they're not placing an emphasis on memorizing combos.

I dislike long combos that you have to memorize, and probably one of the reasons I don't play character action games. What PG is doing here is perfect for an RPG action combat system.

Ubernube

I don't know, that sounds like it could just as easily be describing Bayonetta - there are combo strings, but their implementation is relatively free-form and there's no particular punishment for whiffing combos. I do expect Nier's system to be simpler, but I don't think it'll be completely devoid of those aspects.

Given how you equip two weapons at once, and the large emphasis on dodging, this does seem like a more simplified, Bayonetta-ish combat system. And it's open world as well, so I imagine people who always wanted Bayonetta to be less linear might be happy for that.

I can't put my finger on what makes me so interested in this. I normally hate beat em up button mashers, but this just looks so fluid and fun.

Glad I stumbled upon it a while back, been following it since.

Dio

Banned
For all of you STILL unaware,

NieR: Automata Will Take “A Lot Longer” than 25 Hours to Finish

Saito-san mentioned that during previous interviews at Gamescom he answered that the game would last about 25 hours, but when he told that to the staff back in Japan they said “no, it probably takes a lot longer than that.”

He also explained that you don’t need to do the side quests to clear the game and reach the ending, but there are multiple endings, so if you want to see the true one, you’ll “probably have to do the side quests as well.”

There are short side-quests with stand-alone objective that ask you to find an item or similar simple objectives, but there are also longer side quests that might have several chapters telling a longer story.

So yeah, it's just as big of an RPG as the original Nier was, so no need to worry about being a tiny and short compressed Platinum game like some people expect.

It sounds pretty much exactly like Bayonetta, though presumably with a less intense default difficulty level. Bayonetta might be combo-string based, but there are enough combo strings that simply mashing Y and B at random will almost always result in something cool happening. With a Witch Time equivalent, the same A and B weapon switching setup, and an evade move even faster and sleeker than Bayo's, it looks like this is going to play like buttah.

LIKE BUTTAH

Liethe

Question for all you guys who are on top of the details about this game.

This may seem incredibly picky but bear with me. Previously (around e3 i think?) I saw footage where the NPC male follower was there pretty much all the time. I really don't like the idea of a CPU-controlled dummy "helping" you out. But in all of these gifs posted I don't see him anywhere. So: Is it known how often he is around? Is he just a selectable character or is he forced on you?

leroidys

This may seem incredibly picky but bear with me. Previously (around e3 i think?) I saw footage where the NPC male follower was there pretty much all the time. I really don't like the idea of a CPU-controlled dummy "helping" you out. But in all of these gifs posted I don't see him anywhere. So: Is it known how often he is around? Is he just a selectable character or is he forced on you?

If it's like the original, you sometimes have people following you around for story reasons.

Ubernube

Nier had NPC followers who were important to the story, and so does this one. We know that the male follower (9S) is basically a main character, and you'll switch to him as the story dictates. No clue whether this is at certain points in the story, or if you unlock him after completing 2B's story and play his story.

Metal Gear Rising uses exactly this system. It allows you to focus on the bigger picture, like just-dodging and space/positioning control.

Ubernube

That gameplay footage. My god. This game is gonna be legendary.

Honestly, I don't think the game would ever sell gangbusters, but I feel that Square really is sleeping on a game that could actually sell decently if they bothered marketing the damn thing.

Feels like they've almost completely forgotten about the game western wise since E3. Hell, we don't even know of it's western release date yet and we've known of its Japanese date for a month now. They originally said they wanted the game's release date to be global, so it at least is likely close to that date. The game is open world, which is basically "in" these days, the combat's there and will likely make almost every other open world title's combat its bitch, the music's clearly there from what we've heard, and the story will likely be good, if not unique at least. I don't know, just feel like Square could do so much more for the game and actually be rewarded for it if people knew about it.

Keasar

If only Square had hired these guys to design the combat for Final Fantasy XV, I am so in for NieR Automata.

The dream game by the dream team seems to be going good. Just need a release date and dual audio. Dual is a bonus so won't complain if we don't get it.

Rappy

Still, people should managed expectations when it comes to the sales of this game considering

1) How much the original sold
2) How much Platinum games sell
3) February Royal Rumble
When people say things dealing with gameplay and the game being legendary, I really don't think they don't care at all about how they sell, besides the company doing well to sell more games. Like as you say, how Platinum games sell. They don't, but people still call Bayonetta 2 the best action game made yet.
So its like Revengence then where you just mash light and hard to win and enjoy the game, nice.
The ol' "press A for awesome" critique crap. Especially on a game that definitely does not do that.

Sound like the combat is gonna be basic till you can make a second weapon set. Hopefully they don't take too long to open up other weapon types.

Ubernube

Still, people should managed expectations when it comes to the sales of this game considering

1) How much the original sold
2) How much Platinum games sell
3) February Royal Rumble

At the very least, if there's anything that gives Nier an edge, it's that it's one of the few February Brawlers that has a PC version, as many of them don't.

I feel though that if Platinum really meant no combo strings, they'd mean it as all of their games have standard combo strings no matter how free form or simplified they are. I'm imagining MGR's system, except heavy attack is similar to light attack in attacks that don't start a combo string.

Command moves are there, it seems like, and I do think pause moves will be there too.

Metal Gear Rising uses exactly this system. It allows you to focus on the bigger picture, like just-dodging and space/positioning control.
To be sure, MGR did have combo strings if you began attacking with the heavy button . But other than that, yeah that seems to be the case in combination with Bayonetta two-set switching.

Exciting times ahead.

Hypron

To be sure, MGR did have combo strings if you began attacking with the heavy button . But other than that, yeah that seems to be the case in combination with Bayonetta two-set switching.

Exciting times ahead.

Yeah, combo strings were the way to go in MGR, they did more damage, had useful properties (e.g. knockdown/knockback), and gave you extended zandatsu faster than strings of light attacks. At the same time, I liked that there were just a few of them. It made each one more meaningful.

Top Bottom