• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata - Combat Details and Developer Notes

SilentRob

Metal Gear Rising uses exactly this system. It allows you to focus on the bigger picture, like just-dodging and space/positioning control.

Yeah, I feel like most people in this thread draw the wrong conclusions from what they said. Metal Gear Rising had, as you say, exactly the same system and wasn't considered easy, casual, without substance or anything of the like.

I played it and it felt and controlled almost exactly like MGR. That game didn't concentrate on complex Combo inputs neither.

Adaren

So, basically, the same control scheme that Platinum's been rolling with since Bayonetta.

I'm more than okay with this.

Dodge offset please.

Rappy

Yeah this sounds like "Automata" mode from Bayonetta etc.
NieR not going to save Character Action titles. I like it still, but this doesn't sound promising.

Flashy as usual but lacks substance
What, come on...

They've shown what the combat is like in their TGS 2016 stream. It's not an automatic mode because there is an actual automatic mode meaning the combat mode without that is more complicated. And what do you even mean "save Character Action titles"? What exactly about them need saving on the game play front and what even do you consider "Character Action titles"?

https://youtu.be/_R5C4KV2Q14?t=22m2s

Maybe no complex combos like in Bayonetta 2 but still combos and definitely not "auto mode".

Adaren

No, Bayonetta has chains. This does not.

I was under the impression it did, though it's admittedly not super clear.

In battle the Square button is for “speed attacks”, the Triangle button for “heavy attacks”, and any additional attacks can be chained together depending on which button is pressed to create a simple yet refreshing battle system.

Speed & Heavy Attacks

Simple controls allow you to perform a multitude of attacks!

There are no complex strings of combo attacks; instead, your attack will continue as it registers additional button inputs.

Sounds like Bayo's Punch / Kick system to me, but maybe I'm just reading into it too much.

ghibli99

I'm excited that this game is going to have a Platinum-fueled combat system, but like many, that isn't even close to the reasons why I can't wait to play this. :)

Sounds good...I never got revengeance, I beat it, but I never got how to have mastery over the game, like not getting hit at all most of a mission and getting high grades, wish they would port it to PS4 I would go back to it.

This really does sound like a gameplay feast...much needed in an industry which just dumbs down everything in the name of "accessible".

I hope it turns out great, I miss no new DMC this gen, might scratch the itch.

Dinjoralo

Managing tricky combo chains while dodging 3D bullet-hell would be too much to handle at once, I'd think. It's not like Bayonetta/MGR/what-have-you where "dodging" is only pushing the dodge button with good timing, though there seems to still be that alongside the bullet-dodging.

Arttemis

I was under the impression it did, though it's admittedly not super clear.

Sounds like Bayo's Punch / Kick system to me, but maybe I'm just reading into it too much.
Rising's combat mechanics were even more free form than Bayonetta's, as the action caused by your light attack was immediate and almost inconsequential until timed specifically or put in relation to the strong attack. Bayonetta featured static attack patterns that would reset when any particular existing string was dropped. Both are very forgiving, and P* is my favorite developer for iterating on this mechanic.

I know this is not a spiritual successor to Rising, but since we're never getting a legitimate sequel, I will buy their games in hopes of a game to eventually top MGR.

So, basically, the same control scheme that Platinum's been rolling with since Bayonetta.

I'm more than okay with this.

Dodge offset please.

I'm pretty sure every platinum game aside for Vanquish, Mad World and Anarchy Reigns has Dodge offset. I think even Korra has Dodge Offset.

Bayonetta's combat is not free form.
Maybe I'm reading this wrong and it's more like DMC with just some attacks and no restrictions. When is the demo drop again? I really need to play this before launch...

Managing tricky combo chains while dodging 3D bullet-hell would be too much to handle at once, I'd think. It's not like Bayonetta/MGR/what-have-you where "dodging" is only pushing the dodge button with good timing, though there seems to still be that alongside the bullet-dodging.
What?

KodaRuss

This game looks really badss. I, like many others I am sure, missed out on Nier completely. Does the original Nier play/look like this as well? I was under the impression that this is sort of a new direction from the first?

Can't wait. And somehow I've been able to stop myself from watching any videos of this game unlike all the other games I'm excited about.

Did they ever mention if this is a direct sequel for Nier? As in do I need to play the original to understand it? This game sounds amazing, but never played the original.

Rappy

Bayonetta's combat is not free form.
Maybe I'm reading this wrong and it's more like DMC with just some attacks and no restrictions. When is the demo drop again? I really need to play this before launch...

What?
So that's Bayonetta "auto-mode" how? The demo is scheduled for the end of the year. It's in the OP. I mean everyone just watch the TGS 2016 stream demo because the combat was pretty much exactly what they were demoing. And to the what, I don't agree with that poster but Bayonetta and DMC don't exactly have the bullet hell element that NieR has is what he's getting at.

Hektor

Did they ever mention if this is a direct sequel for Nier? As in do I need to play the original to understand it? This game sounds amazing, but never played the original.

They said you don't need to play the first game ibn order to understand this one, altho it looks more and more like a diret sequel.

Exentryk

This will likely be one of the best combat systems in RPGs.

They'll probably announce the demo date in that livestream on the 26th.

Gbraga

"There are no complex strings of combo attacks; instead, your attack will continue as it registers additional button inputs."

Just in case you forget this is an RPG first and foremost.

I'm going gauntlet majority of the game. Love giant fists.

This could describe DMC4 too. Dial-a-combo is the inferior system anyway. Free form combat ftw.

I was hoping the pods would have something other than bullets. That laser appears to be somewhat similar to the spear from the first game by its effectiveness.

Momentary

Banned
So Nier is the name of the character from the first game? Will he possibly be in this game? I don't know anything about this series, but Nier (the brother) seems like a waste of a character design if they don't have him show up in this one.

Setsu00

This game looks really badss. I, like many others I am sure, missed out on Nier completely. Does the original Nier play/look like this as well? I was under the impression that this is sort of a new direction from the first?

The look is somewhat similiar, but Nier 1's combat was much less sophisticated. It's still worth playing for its scenario and its OST.

So Nier is the name of the character from the first game? Will he possibly be in this game? I don't know anything about this series, but Nier (the brother) seems like a waste of a character design if they don't have him show up in this one.
dd9591534c6f67e6ca124bee0da8e3e9d2ac731d89a21427394f17fdcfc5131d.jpg

Battlechili

Banned
This game takes place a very long time after the first Nier. There is no chance of Nier appearing in this game.

He also can't appear in this game for other reasons.

Top Bottom