• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 2.8 confirmed to be the first digitally released KH game? + Themes

DKHF

The Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Japanese website has been updated to show two new PS4 themes, one that you get from pre-ordering from Amazon and one for pre-ordering from the PlayStation store. It also seems to say you can pre-order 2.8 digitally in November making it the first Kingdom Hearts game released digitally.

Amazon theme:
CwEzP-GUkAA8-NS.png:large

PSN theme:

Images thanks to raven777

While this is welcome news, knowing how Disney handles licensing of things, two things come to mind.

1) This feels like it could be Japan only
2) Given how Disney pulls down apps and support unceremoniously (Tiny Death Star, Disney Infinity, pretty much all their mobile games that don't set the world on fire), I'd be scared to buy a non-physical version.

orochi91

While this is welcome news, knowing how Disney handles licensing of things, two things come to mind.

2) Given how Disney pulls down apps and support unceremoniously (Tiny Death Star, Disney Infinity, pretty much all their mobile games that don't set the world on fire), I'd be scared to buy a non-physical version.
Agreed.

I go physical whenever Disney is involved.

Hektor

Digital games on platforms like PSN or steam always remain downloadable and playable in case of a storepull. Exception being PT cos that was free.

That PSN theme is glorious. It needs to make it's way over here
and not be a pre order bonus because I'm going physical.

LAA

Urgh want those themes. Again bet you can't get them if you buy physical.
Hopefully it's like KH1.5/2.5 and you can unlock themes in game...

Corpekata

Banned
I imagine 3 will be too. There has to be some wording of the old contracts that would cause digital releases of all the old stuff to payout big time for someone and one of the parties involved doesn't want to trigger that clause, and new stuff made for the digital age probably has saner contracts involved.

Any info on whether the themes have music too?
Would be perfect if it had an arrangement of Dearly Beloved playing for the home screen~

aadiboy

Doesn't Sony have a policy that makes it mandatory for all games to have digital releases (except for games like Rockband, for obvious reasons)? So they have to release all of the KH collections digitally on PS4. Thank god whoever was responsible for no digital releases had to aquiesce (either Disney, SE, or Utada)!

DKHF

Doesn't Sony have a policy that makes it mandatory for all games to have digital releases (except for games like Rockband, for obvious reasons)? So they have to release all of the KH collections digitally on PS4. Thank god whoever was responsible for no digital releases had to aquiesce (either Disney, SE, or Utada)!
They said something about that around PS4's launch I think but there has been at least one exception with Puyo Puyo Tetris.

t26

No, Puyo Puyo Tetris never got a digital release.

Ray Down

Banned

Yes but there been a case where a PS4 game wasn't available digitally. It's also wasn't because of Utada, it's be said as much despite her not like working on the series (due to her dislike her contract later on).

KyleCross

I do really hate the trend of getting themes only when you pre-order digitally on PSN. There's been so many themes I wanted of games I pre-ordered, but I choose physical. They really should put it into physical releases too.

raven777

I do really hate the trend of getting themes only when you pre-order digitally on PSN. There's been so many themes I wanted of games I pre-ordered, but I choose physical. They really should put it into physical releases too.

yea I really dislike this trend as well. I usually prefer physical version but the themes are often times exclusive to DL version.

Eh, I still have MvC2 on my downloads list. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

DKHF

I imagine 3 will be too. There has to be some wording of the old contracts that would cause digital releases of all the old stuff to payout big time for someone and one of the parties involved doesn't want to trigger that clause, and new stuff made for the digital age probably has saner contracts involved.
It would suck if 1.5 + 2.5 doesn't come out digitally because of old contract stuff like this. Probably shouldn't expect it to, but maybe they will re-negotiate for the PS4 release.

Wait? The first? I don't think that's right, I'm pretty sure Birth by Sleep was available digitally on the PSP.
Nope, never was. Neither was Crisis Core. Those two games made me keep my PSP for the longest time.

But man those themes...definitely want them to come stateside. I prefer the PSN one over the Amazon one but both are very nice.

MacTag

Banned
What was the issue on that?
No one's sure but possibly the region free nature of PS4/XBO conflicting with Ubisoft's exclusive western Tetris license. The 3DS, Vita, PS3 and Wii U versions got digital releases but that was also before Tetris Co. and Ubisoft inked their deal.

LAA

Wait? The first? I don't think that's right, I'm pretty sure Birth by Sleep was available digitally on the PSP.

Closest I can think of is KH3D Demo was on the eShop, but don't think the full game was funnily enough.
Other than that, KH Unchained X of course...though not a "real" KH game I can think of, no.

I'll never buy a KH game digitally (unless it's JP release is several months ahead of a localized release), but it's good that the option is finally there for those that want it.

entremet

I don't know for sure, but something Ubisoft having the rights for Tetris over here ?
Sounds more like a clever loophole more than anything, possibly an exception by Sony. I'm sure they want every possible game on their online store.

Back to KH absence from digital stores....

I'm not surprised this happened. Probably some contract issues that were resolved.

No way was KH3 gonna be absent from PSN.

Cruxist

That PSN theme is spectacular. The little KH symbols on the tiles? So good. Really hope this is available for Western, physical buyers somehow. I remember going through some hoops to get japan exclusive themes on my psp. Bleh.

Ouroboros

Hopes brighten for a 1.5 and 2.5 digi release as well? I'd quad dip those games for the PC after being released on PS4.

raven777

PSY・S;222270967 said:
oh wait, this is just 2.8. I thought both collections were going digital.

no info on the 1.5+2.5 collection yet. But since 2.8 is getting digital, I think 1.5+2.5 should get digital as well.

Top Bottom