• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ohio school taunts football team with "Trail of Tears" banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

yalbwkmwjevjivdjqdod.jpg

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/ohio-ch...s-before-game-against-team-with-indian-mascot
McClain was playing at Hillsboro. The banner says, “Hey Indians, Get Ready for A Trail of TEARS Part 2.”

The Trail of Tears is the name assigned to the forced removal of Native Americans from the southeastern portion of the United States to areas west of the Mississippi River. More than four thousand people died.

According to WHIO, the school posted an apology on its Facebook page late Friday, but then removed it.

The school issued an apology Saturday.

“A horrific mistake was made,” Greenfield-McClain High School said in a statement. “A sign was created out of ignorance, not hate.”

Stop taking the fun out of football.

fucking hell.

How can you know what "trail of tears" refers to such that are able to use the reference in the context of a game v a team called The Indians and then plead ignorance? Either you know what it means or you don't. Clearly they knew what it meant.

Man, considering that they only make up a whopping ~1.7% of the population, native americans have been getting railed on recently eh?

rhandino

Banned
d39T0YE.jpg

How this kind of things happen? Like... what the fuck? That little segment at the end of the 2nd Addams movie was so on point T_T

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I know this might come as a shock, but the vast majority of people don't care about social justice and do not think about whether something is offensive or not. They just do what they think is fun (for right, or in this case, wrong).

The media, and forums like this, tend to hyper focus on these issues, making them seem much more popular than they are, while the rest of the world ignores them.

I does not surprise me at all that we keep seeing examples like this.

Note: I do not condone the behavior, just trying to bring light to the reason you keep seeing it happen.

Slayven

I know this might come as a shock, but the vast majority of people don't care about social justice and do not think about whether something is offensive or not. They just do what they think is fun.

The media, and forums like this, tend to hyper focus on these issues, making them seem much more popular than they are, while the rest of the world ignores it.

Note: I do not condone the behavior, just trying to bring light to the reason you keep seeing it happen.

Racism being fun is the story of america

No lies detected. As much as the USA shits on blacks at least they haven't driven us to extinction.....well not yet

Sadly the people with the ability to make such things happen realized having a permanent underclass was a much better idea than out and out genocide.

Azzurri

Hillsboro and McClain, doesn't surprise me at all, I've been to these areas for work and it's what you would expect.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Never been to McClain, but Hillsboro is way out in the boonies. As someone who went to a rural high school in SW Ohio, this is not surprising. I had kind of hoped things had gotten better in the 15 years since I left the area.

Amir0x

Banned
I know this might come as a shock, but the vast majority of people don't care about social justice and do not think about whether something is offensive or not. They just do what they think is fun (for right, or in this case, wrong).

The media, and forums like this, tend to hyper focus on these issues, making them seem much more popular than they are, while the rest of the world ignores them.

Well they should start motherfucking caring, instead of being soulless pieces of shit incapable to taking into account how much their words and actions hurt others. How about that?

How about we stop coddling ignorant fuckwads and outcast them to the perimeter of society like the dying breed they are? How bout that shit?

How about there has been enough time for patience and turn the other cheek, and these assholes need to have serious punishments for their despicable behavior? How bout that shit?

lol @ recently

I was referring more to recent news stories on the forum relating to the issue. A perfect storm of protests, baseball, and Halloween, I suppose.

Hey atleast the kid is actually black as far as I can tell from the low quality picture. If that was blackface then yeah.
The poor kid holding the 'slave rope' seems to have wanted nothing to do with it. Picked the short straw.

You still have professional sports teams name Red Skins and Indians

you still have Andrew Jackson on the denomination of a dollar bill that ATMs dispense the most

and it's 2016, perceptions haven't changed, awful

So apparently the concept of human decency and the ability to not be racist didn't exist before Tumblr became a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom