• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ohio school taunts football team with "Trail of Tears" banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cappa

Banned
Lol yeah it seems they knew exactly what the Trail of Tears was. "Ignorance."

Yooo why the one black kid tied up! Man everything here is awful.

lol I was like oh an all white high school what a surprise than I saw the ONE black kid tied up and I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOO wtf is going on here..... like how does this shit still exist and how do people think nothings going to come from it?

Like its 2016 where social media spreads like wildfire...

Viewt

I know this might come as a shock, but the vast majority of people don't care about social justice and do not think about whether something is offensive or not. They just do what they think is fun (for right, or in this case, wrong).

The media, and forums like this, tend to hyper focus on these issues, making them seem much more popular than they are, while the rest of the world ignores them.

I does not surprise me at all that we keep seeing examples like this.

Note: I do not condone the behavior, just trying to bring light to the reason you keep seeing it happen.

I understand what you're saying, but it's actually really important for us to keep the spotlight on these issues. When it's easy to ignore, you lose the chance for introspection and growth. I'm sure these kids didn't set out to be racist and horrifically insensitive, but they were, and we should prioritize the feelings of the oppressed over the feelings of the perpetrators.

My hope is that, from all of the attention that's going to come from this (and already has), these kids will think twice before engaging in this kind of behavior in the future.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
You still have professional sports teams name Red Skins and Indians

you still have Andrew Jackson on the denomination of a dollar bill that ATMs dispense the most

and it's 2016, perceptions haven't changed, awful

Don't forget to add that they're also still trying to defend their land against government encroachment (the North Dakota Pipeline) and getting abused even more.

danthefan

yalbwkmwjevjivdjqdod.jpg

Well that seems particularly classless. You'd wonder how it got past the teachers.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
So apparently the concept of human decency and the ability to not be racist didn't exist before Tumblr became a thing?

What does Tumblr have to do with anything?

I understand what you're saying, but it's actually really important for us to keep the spotlight on these issues. When it's easy to ignore, you lose the chance for introspection and growth. I'm sure these kids didn't set out to be racist and horrifically insensitive, but they were, and we should prioritize the feelings of the oppressed over the feelings of the perpetrators.

My hope is that, from all of the attention that's going to come from this (and already has), these kids will think twice before engaging in this kind of behavior in the future.

I wasn't saying we shouldn't, and I agree with you. I was responding to people asking stuff like, "How could an adult see that and not see a problem?". Well they don't see the problem because they don't give a shit. They don't give a shit because the message isn't reaching them and/or there is too much apathy to fight through.

Eumi

At the risk of people bringing up shit my countries done (shouldn't be hard), what the fuck is wrong with America?

Goliath

Pretty messed up but I don't believe that they hate Indians. It's a play on word that is in poor taste by a community who lacks empathy and is ignorant. I have seen people use the term Holocaust when describing things of significantly less importance, use the term "rape" when describing dominating in video games or sports and grew up during the time that "fag" was a term that everyone used to describe someone they considered weak.

They are kids with no background in the events they are lightly describing. Let's apply pressure to the school to have a program that educates them and explains why what they said is so wrong. Let's not publicly shame kids for being stupid.

ColdPizza

Banned
At the risk of people bringing up shit my countries done (shouldn't be hard), what the fuck is wrong with America?

Lots...there's really no excuse for any of this.

And they'll say "sorry" outwardly but they'll probably resent the backlash inwardly and think we're the ones overreacting.

If you know what the Trail of Tears was... how can you possibly claim ignorance? I'm astonished that someone thought that was a good apology.

KingBroly

Banned
A team still named the Indians in 2016 is iffy enough, but that banner is like next level shameful.

The name isn't the issue. It's always been Chief Wahoo for people. You change the logo, which they've been slowly phasing out, you change the perception.

geestack

Spirit week?? In the spirit of what? Was this fora play or something (not that it makes it OK)? I'm so confused.

if i remember my high school event definitions, spirit week is the week of homecoming. in this case spirit refers to school spirit, which i guess means degrading native americans and dressing up as slave catchers or some shit for this particular high school

You know, it IS possible that they just don't know any better...

...because the American education system is so fucked up that you never know when curricula choose to whitewash the fuck out of history with garbage like "we brought IMMIGRANT WORKERS from Africa during the Slave Trade!!!" and "we DISCOVERED these lands and we'll keep saying we DISCOVERED them even though Native Americans lived here for hundreds of years!"

I wouldn't be surprised if all they knew about the Trail of Tears was "they were forced to move to another place and they were sad! *crying emoji* "

derdriu

Same and the native indian girl. The rest can go fuck themselves, but those two for me anyways are even worse.

That's what I don't get. There are so many dressed as 'cowboys', then there is a 'slave' and 'captured Indians'. And in another picture there is a Chinese guy dressed as a Chinese rail worker. I'm trying to figure out if this was a history week of their ancestors or something.

jwhit28

"Slowly phasing out" as in wearing the logo on their hat and jersey in the World Series?

Yeah I don't know why the players get away with that. Apparently not wearing the "C" caps came down to a player vote. The team honored the player's vote and all the league could do is tell them why it's wrong.

Beefy

That's what I don't get. There are so many dressed as 'cowboys', then there is a 'slave' and 'captured Indians'. And in another picture there is a Chinese guy dressed as a Chinese rail worker. I'm trying to figure out if this was a history week of their ancestors or something.

Really? Who the fuck thought it was a good idea?

Yeah I don't know why the players get away with that. Apparently not wearing the "C" caps came down to a player vote. The team honored the player's vote and all the league could do is tell them why it's wrong.

Why did they even put wearing a horribly racist caricature on their hat up to a vote?

You know... EVEN if no one thought this was unacceptable just on it own, like even if everyone was totally cool doing this.. No one thought, this might look bad if it gets out? Other people might not like this? Maybe we shouldn't take pictures of this?

At the final varsity football game of the year, a horrific mistake was made. A sign was created out of ignorance, not hate. There are no words to express our deepest sympathy to those of Native American and African American descent. We also owe a sincere apology to the communities, families and students of Hillsboro, Greenfield, and beyond. We are currently completing an internal investigation of how this deplorable situation arose. We will take appropriate steps once we have all of the necessary information. By partnering with local organizations, McClain High School will immediately use this moment to further educate our students on the atrocities faced by both the Native American and African American cultures.

Are they apologizing to African-Americans because of the Tied Up picture? Or am i missing some other awful thing they did?

Tied up picture is pretty bad but to include African Americans in the native american apology I almost think they're apologizing for something worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom