• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Persona 4 - The Golden (no spoilers please)

I recently bought myself a Vita and paid an outrageous amount of money (seriously, I'm still kind of pissed) to import a 64GB memory card, since I could get it for the price of two 8GB memory cards at Australian retail. I can't even imagine that the memory cards were ever profitable for Sony, but I digress.

I had to take a sick day yesterday and in between coughing my lungs out and sleeping, I started playing Persona 4. This is my first experience with Persona, so I didn't know what to expect.

First off, the presentation is really slick. The sizzler movie that plays when you first boot up the game looked amazing and the colours really popped on the OLED screen.Then there's the music - it's thematically appropriate and catchy without being overly intrusive. I found myself humming the tune to myself yesterday until that made me start coughing again, so, yes, it's really good. Overall, it reminds me a lot more of The World Ends With You than of Shin Megami Tensei (I've only played SMT4 though)

I played on and off for most of the day, managed to rescue Yukiko and ace the midterm exams. Now I'm trying to rescue a very clearly closeted (hoo boy was this telegraphed from the get-go) guy named Kanji from a bath house themed dungeon full of (literal) bears in cop uniforms. I'm waiting to see if the upper floors of this dungeon are filled with winged creatures in cowboy outfits etc. and fill out the Village People motif. All the characters are too embarrassed to say that Kanji is gay, which is as much a 00s thing as it is a Japanese thing, so a lot of the hints are very on-the-nose. The "slender boy" he went on a "date" with appears to be voiced by a woman, so I hope that isn't a cross-dressing situation and things work out for him romance wise.

Which brings me to Yokiko. For various reasons, I feel that the game is trying to push me toward romancing this lass (I assume that's what maxing out her S-Link will do, like in Fire Emblem) and it feels manipulative. She seems like the kind of character that was created in a lab to try to appeal to lonely Japanese teenage boys. She's beautiful, talented and demure (so demure - she blushed when I asked for her number) and utterly terrified of boys, so she's guaranteed to be as pure as the driven snow, which drives Japanese boys wild for some reason.

Nanako is very cute. The actress who plays her does her job well. It may be down to the fact that I'm a father myself, but I really disapprove of her dad. Dude should have made a career change when his wife died. I know he's probably doing his best and maybe there aren't a lot of jobs to be had, but damn, there's more to life than work and you're missing out on your daughter's childhood. I actually teared up a little when she made flowers on Mother's day and had nobody to give them to. Her attachment to the main character is sweet that way.

Chie is a lot of fun. She has this whole Velma look going, which for some reason, don't ask me why, I find appealing. She and Yosuke have a whole thing going where they do their best to irritate one another and it could either end in a fight or in them getting caught pashing in the school locker room. She's probably the best character out of the main cast so far. I chuckled at more than one of her scenes.

Yosuke is my bro. The script could have made this guy either really irritating or really likable and the voice actor knocked it right out of the park. He feels like he could be based on a real guy you went to school with. I think it's the earnestness with which he becomes your friend and calls you sometimes, just to hang out. He acts like it's all cool, but you can tell he needs your friendship. He talks a lot and seems to be the real "leader of the group" so to speak, and info dumps a lot to compensate for your silent protagonist.

Some of the side characters stand out too. Kou (basketball guy) has issues he needs to work through, but his attitude to life is always positive. I really feel for him. Marie is perplexing and mysterious, but her interactions are a lot of fun. The rookie cop (forget his name) seems familiar to me. Was he ever in another game?

Anyway, really digging the game so far. I can see why the series has such a dedicated following and why socially awkward dudes would spend hours ranting on Youtube about how X girl is better than Y girl as a waifu. It really is that good.

Fireblend

Banned
This game is so good. Enjoy! Make sure to max out those S-Links, specially since you seem interested to see where each individual character arc goes. I don't think there's a single disappointing story between all the S-Links you can max out.

DJ_Lae

Man, I'd love to be able to play Persona 4 again after wiping all memory of it. It's just a great all-around package of story and characters and music, and although I think the dungeons are the weakest part of the game they're still fun.

It makes you feel like a real part of that group, and there are so many fantastic little moments.

There's a reason people call him Brosuke.

Enjoy the ride. I never got around to beating it, but it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Matsukaze

P4G is my favorite game. Words can't describe how good it is. If you're enjoying it now, OP, then by the time you are done you are going to be all aboard the Persona 5 train.

This game is so good. Enjoy! Make sure to max out those S-Links, specially since you seem interested to see where each individual character arc goes. I don't think there's a single disappointing story between all the S-Links you can max out.

The Nurse stuff goes kinda nowhere IMO

Cornbread78

First post pretty much nails it on the head.

Also, OP, use a Game FAQs guide for a second play through, or if you only plan on playing once.

It's super helpful to organize your day to day activities and make sure you don't miss certain timed events.

EDIT:
Dammit, now I want to go watch the anime series..

Dude you are in for THE RIDE.

Favorite game ever. Enjoy it. It's truly special.

(Yukiko best girl)

First Post Worst Post, enjoy a cardboard waifu.

--

Anyhow OP, I cant say how I envy you for playing P4G for the first time. It's truly a wonderful game.

(
Margaret
best girl) <= Huge spoiler if you haven't beated a boss under certain conditions!!!!

It's one hell of a ride. Glad you're enjoying it.

Re:
For various reasons, I feel that the game is trying to push me toward romancing this lass (I assume that's what maxing out her S-Link will do, like in Fire Emblem) and it feels manipulative

I'll spoiler tag this just in case, but as for whether or not it's mandatory:
The game gives you the choice. It happens around level 7, I think? But you can just be friends if you want.

You should have started with Persona 3, OP.
I wanted to, but it is super expensive on the Australian PSN. P4 only cost me $15 AUD.

I'm worried that I'll run out of time. It's May and I still haven't joined any cultural clubs.

Man, I'd love to be able to play Persona 4 again after wiping all memory of it. It's just a great all-around package of story and characters and music, and although I think the dungeons are the weakest part of the game they're still fun.

It makes you feel like a real part of that group, and there are so many fantastic little moments.
I agree with you about the dungeons. They're procedurally generated, aren't they? The layouts don't make a lot of sense. SMT4 had that feel as well. It's a shame, because the battle system is fun once you get the hang of it.

Buckle up man - it's an awesome game, one of my GOATS.

One word of advice (no spoiler) - Max out Marie's social link before December 25.

Khoryos

First post pretty much nails it on the head.

Also, OP, use a Game FAQs guide for a second play through, or if you only plan on playing once.

It's super helpful to organize your day to day activities and make sure you don't miss certain times events.

Yeah, I managed to completely miss the Culture Club S-link. It's easy to do!

If you didn't name the protagonist Charlie Tunoku, you may as well start over.

Nonsense, the one true protagonist is Kenpachi Ramasama. He's so flippant, yet so desirable!

I never beat it because I drunkenly deleted right before the finale to free up space for some dumb ps+ game. Deleting game bubble deletes saves too. But I'm getting back slowly. The fast forward function in this game is phenomenal. It's an amazing game. I particularly love the designs they use for various shop menus and the overall UI. It's really classy.

Also looks damn good on PSTV on my HDTV. Some games look blurry but this one pops nicely.

DPtheGod

This game is a solid 10/10 for me.

You are in for one hell of an adventure. I'd definitely recommend getting the digital Persona 3 Portable, too.

I really hope you enjoy it. The pacing picks up quite a bit after the first 10 hours or so. I've beaten P4 probably four times now, and each time took me at least 70 hours. I'm playing through on hard for golden, and I'm already at about 80 hrs. There truly is value in this title.

If you didn't name the protagonist Charlie Tunoku, you may as well start over.
I... don't understand.
Yeah, I managed to completely miss the Culture Club S-link. It's easy to do!

Nonsense, the one true protagonist is Kenpachi Ramasama. He's so flippant, yet so desirable!
Again, I don't get it. Is this a character spoiler?

I named the main character after myself.

Also, I haven't been able to join any of the cultural clubs because I left rescuing Yukiko to the last minute and had to spend multiple consecutive days trying to clear her dungeon. Is that missable?

DJ_Lae

EDIT:
Dammit, now I want to go watch the anime series..
Is it worth watching? I haven't heard a lot about it and it seems to go for $100-$130CDN, which is a bit high for an experiment.

I agree with you about the dungeons. They're procedurally generated, aren't they? The layouts don't make a lot of sense. SMT4 had that feel as well. It's a shame, because the battle system is fun once you get the hang of it.

Yeah, they are procedurally generated (Persona 3's were as well, I believe) and feel kind of lifeless as a result. I generally just blew through to the bosses each time, so I didn't get any potential benefit from replaying levels and having them look a little different, so I'd be all for fixed levels with some personality instead.

Khoryos

I... don't understand.

Also, I haven't been able to join any of the cultural clubs because I left rescuing Yukiko to the last minute and had to spend multiple consecutive days trying to clear her dungeon. Is that missable?

Charlie Tunoku was the main character's name in a Giant Bomb LP, and Kenpachi Ramasama was from the Two Best Friends Play LP. Nothing to worry about!

bobawesome

I... don't understand.

People are posting names Let's Players named the main character. Both are pretty well known in the P4 community.

DPtheGod

I... don't understand.

As a tip, the way I play is, do everything in one day for the rescuing, i.e. leveling/grinding and then fully restoring before entering the final boss room. That leaves you tons of extra time to do S-Link stuff. Stock up on Goho-M's.

VegiHam

This is the best game ever. Don't let all the creepy waifu weirdness put you off, just ignore that side of the fanbase.

Cornbread78

Is it worth watching? I haven't heard a lot about it and it seems to go for $100-$130CDN, which is a bit high for an experiment.

I still have not seen it for some reason. Well, I keep getting side tracked with other shows, but I will definitely watch it at some point.

It should still be streaming on Crunchyroll: (which would be free with commercials)

www.crunchyroll.com/persona4-the-golden-animation

Or through Hulu at: (everything has a fee now)

www.hulu.com/persona-4

Choomp

Banned
Mmm, this is easily one of my favorite games ever. The characters and Inaba itself make you feel like you're living there yourself, it's really fantastic.

KraytarJ

I played it earlier this year and I'd say it's the best game I've played this year. Probably top 10 material at the least. It's one hell of a ride and I'd also echo trying out Persona 3 in some form if you can because it's also great.

hampig

Some excellent memories of P4. Wish I had the time to just sit down and pay through Golden. It's such a great buildup to a great end that makes you realize it was a great journey.

People are posting names Let's Players named the main character. Both are pretty well known in the P4 community.
Ah. Okay.

It's funny hearing the characters refer to me as [last name]-san. My surname could work in Japanese, so it's not as jarring as it could be, but my first name is the most Spanish name that ever castellano'd. It makes me feel like I'm playing as the only Hispanic guy in all of Japan.

As a tip, the way I play is, do everything in one day for the rescuing, i.e. leveling/grinding and then fully restoring before entering the final boss room. That leaves you tons of extra time to do S-Link stuff. Stock up on Goho-M's.
I tried to do that, but found myself having to exit really often so I could replenish SP and items, SP most of all. Yukiko's dungeon was long and difficult until I got some levels up (I'm also playing on hard mode, not sure if that was a mistake).

This is the best game ever. Don't let all the creepy waifu weirdness put you off, just ignore that side of the fanbase.
Yeah. Seems like the whole "best girl" thing is only a joke around half the time.

This was my first taste of Persona as well. Really, really great game that got me into Persona 3 Portable. I love P3P for the story and some of the characters more than P4G, but the dungeon design of P4G was better than P3P, even though I'd say the Persona series isn't well known for dungeon design. The main reasons I like the series is the combat is simple yet not too simple, keeping me engaged along with the social links and characters. I'm about to finish P3P soon finally. I'd say just experience it how you want to for now as you can always do a New Game Plus file if you want later to go through stuff you missed or just look it up later if it feels taxing for you. You can always change the difficulty to help yourself out, but, be warned, the really easy difficulties are extremely easy.

Hope you continue to have a great time with the game. Wouldn't mind you updating the thread with your progress and thoughts as you go either!

Paltheos

Yosuke is my bro. The script could have made this guy either really irritating or really likable and the voice actor knocked it right out of the park. He feels like he could be based on a real guy you went to school with. I think it's the earnestness with which he becomes your friend and calls you sometimes, just to hang out. He acts like it's all cool, but you can tell he needs your friendship. He talks a lot and seems to be the real "leader of the group" so to speak, and info dumps a lot to compensate for your silent protagonist.

The performance (like allot of the others) is on the mark, but... Yosuke's definitely irritating. I mean, he's kinda supposed to be (he's introduced as a loser, stuck in a garbage can) and on the whole I like the guy, but he's definitely annoying allot. He doesn't go into the overly irritating territory though, yeah. He's obviously self-serving allot of the time and complains too much, but he's pretty transparent (self-aware) about it and seems to care about his friends.

This was my first taste of Persona as well. Really, really great game that got me into Persona 3 Portable. I love P3P for the story and some of the characters more than P4G, but the dungeon design of P4G was better than P3P, even though I'd say the Persona series isn't well known for dungeon design. The main reasons I like the series is the combat is simple yet not too simple, keeping me engaged along with the social links and characters. I'm about to finish P3P soon finally. I'd say just experience it how you want to for now as you can always do a New Game Plus file if you want later to go through stuff you missed or just look it up later if it feels taxing for you. You can always change the difficulty to help yourself out, but, be warned, the really easy difficulties are extremely easy.

Hope you continue to have a great time with the game. Wouldn't mind you updating the thread with your progress and thoughts as you go either!
I plan on doing that, though progress from now on will be a lot slower. Between my job and family, I might only get an hour a day to play, if that.

The performance (like allot of the others) is on the mark, but... Yosuke's definitely irritating. I mean, he's kinda supposed to be (he's introduced as a loser, stuck in a garbage can) and on the whole I like the guy, but he's definitely annoying allot. He doesn't go into the overly irritating territory though, yeah. He's obviously self-serving allot of the time and complains too much, but he's pretty transparent (self-aware) about it and seems to care about his friends.
That's kind of what I meant. With a different voice actor, he could have come across as really whiny.

Skii

This is one of the best games I've ever played. I loved everything about it. Just remember there'll be a point where you'll need to do some very specific things to get the true ending. Don't hesitate to ask a gaffer or just google a non spoiler walkthrough of it. The game will actually tell you when it branches so you can keep a save file and explore every ending if you want.

VegiHam

Yeah. Seems like the whole "best girl" thing is only a joke around half the time.
Yup. PersonaGAF is usually pretty cool about this but there's a thin line between discussing which optional romance subplot with one of the games multiple well written and interesting female characters people preferred; and talking about which cartoon teenager you most want to have sex with. A lot of discussion online ends up on the wrong side of that line, unfortunately; which is a shame because there's a probably a worthwhile conversation to be had on the right side of it.

One of my favorite games ever. I would love to play P3, but I heard it is hard to go back to after playing Golden. I did not know what to expect, and I was blown away. I hope you end up enjoying it atleast half as much as I did!

Kthulhu

The ending makes me cry everytime. P5 has big shoes to fill.

Look up a dialog guide for December. 'Cuz you'll need it.

Make sure you max out all of the social links for the best ending (and cuz the cast is awesome)

Nottle

Yup. PersonaGAF is usually pretty cool about this but there's a thin line between discussing which optional romance subplot with one of the games multiple well written and interesting female characters people preferred; and talking about which cartoon teenager you most want to have sex with. A lot of discussion online ends up on the wrong side of that line, unfortunately; which is a shame because there's a probably a worthwhile conversation to be had on the right side of it.
It's a real shame because the stories are all really interesting coming of age tales. To hear people say Yukiko is boring because she is learning to cook, sheltered, and laughs weird makes me sad because around that point in my life all of that felt pretty relatable.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yeah, the rookie cop is JYB, so it makes sense you'd recognize his voice. He is in everything at all times.

P4G i think takes some steps back from OG PS4(voice casting for chie and kuma/teddie in particular), it almost feels too supplemented and padded by extra stuff that it becomes overwhelming, but its still a great romp and does most things better feature wise than the OG game

Theres a ton of japanese-focused narratives and social commentary that has gone over your head like it did mine 8 years ago. Look up some of it afterwards for new insight.

All the female characters were created in a lab to appeal to someone or another.

One of the shockingly few in this post-Lost Decade industry that dont. Its like dropping a ball out of a boat and missing the water

Yeah, the rookie cop is JYB, so it makes sense you'd recognize his voice. He is in everything at all times.

P4G i think takes some steps back from OG PS4(voice casting for chie and kuma/teddie in particular), it almost feels too supplemented and padded by extra stuff that it becomes overwhelming, but its still a great romp and does most things better feature wise than the OG game
I don't know what JYB stands for, but yeah, got major deja vu from his voice. It makes sense if the guy is prolific.

Theres a ton of japanese-focused narratives and social commentary that has gone over your head like it did mine 8 years ago. Look up some of it afterwards for new insight.
You mean regarding the Japanese work culture? The way the uncle seems almost wistful when he tells you to have fun while you have the time seems like a commentary about that. Same with the rookie cop trying to adjust to having to suddenly work 16 hour days.

There were also a few creepy moments around Yokiko. The teacher who slipped and called her a cutie, the reporter who made comments about how good she looked in the kimono and how he bets she attracted a lot of male customers to the inn etc.

VegiHam

It's a real shame because the stories are all really interesting coming of age tales. To hear people say Yukiko is boring because she is learning to cook, sheltered, and laughs weird makes me sad because around that point in my life all of that felt pretty relatable.

Oh Yukiko is, like, the relateablest. She (minor spoilers but past where OP is)
has an obvious future ahead of her and a legacy she's expected to take up; and feels pressured to do so and unable to explore the other options available to her due to people's expectations.
But mostly she's just labeled either best girl or worst girl and ignored.

Definitely a classic. Loved P3 FES as well.

Yeah, I liked some of the added gameplay stuff in Golden, even if it did make the game a lot easier, but most of the added story bits weren't very good and made the game feel dragged out compared to the original release.

Late game stuff
The added dungeon was terrible. Winter Inaba was really awesome though.

sh1fty

I'm slowly chipping away at P4G (hoping to be done by the time P5 comes out next year)... I'm probably pretty close to where you are in the OP... Rescued Kanji and just finished a day where Yosuke, Kanji and I went into this new town to get girl's phone numbers.

My progress with this game has been pretty off and on as I get intimidated by long it is and also paranoid I'm making the wrong decisions each day.

Top Bottom