• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'New Xbox One S has 4K Ultra HD Resolution' video

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEmil

NFL on Xbox: 4K Resolution with Chet and Dolores:
https://youtu.be/lNmRVLxrkqs

Er isn't this really misleading and false? The way they presented the video it makes the mainstream market believe it can do real 4k gaming while they are gaming with Madden

Two Words

I tried making a thread calling out MS's misleading advertisement once. It backfired pretty hard even though I was vindicated later wth Microsoft changing the ad. I wonder if this will go the same way.

ascii42

Not new for them
3029431-6580153872-24396.jpg

If this is misinformation then calling PS4 Pro "4k" would also be false information. Likewise, calling current regular consoles 1080p.

They're referring to the fact that it outputs a 4k signal, is capable of doing 4k, and plays 4k video.

LewieP

Seems fairly specifically worded to lie in the grey area between illegal false advertising and deliberately vague but within the law information.

Pretty routine for Microsoft.

Two Words

If this is misinformation then calling PS4 Pro "4k" would also be false information. Likewise, calling current regular consoles 1080p.

They're referring to the fact that it outputs a 4k signal, is capable of doing it,and plays 4k video.
But the PS4 Pro does play some games at native 4K and they distinguish it.

The advertising of 4K on Xbox One S has been deliberately misleading. Whatever gets them sales, you know, the "best selling console in America*"

wapplew

Play Red dead redemption 2, SW Battlefront 2, exclusively on Xbox Scorpio*, this holiday!
*in native 4K

This ad will run next holiday.

-griffy-

Banned

They're referring to the fact that it outputs a 4k signal, is capable of doing 4k, and plays 4k video.

There are plenty of games on the PS4 Pro that render native 4K. This ad saying the S does 4K and the grandma looking at the video game being played and saying "It looks so sharp" is definitely more misleading than saying the Pro does 4K.

Hellshy.

Why would I not call current consoles 1080p capable when probably over 98% of the games I own on ps4 are native 1080p. I own way too many games btw

But they are playing Madden..Is Madden in ULTRA HD 4K RESOLUTION?

Adam_802

Sounds a lot like sony's misleading PR with the ps4 this gen. Like when sony claimed watch dogs would run 1080/60 on ps4, LOL

muzzymate

Definitely a bit misleading. They end with "games and 4K entertainment". Word placement makes it technically correct. Can we also talk about how horrible of a commercial it is? Who green-lit this one? Just someone yelling the same thing a few times and then a quick quip? Awful

EmiPrime

Sounds a lot like sony's misleading PR with the ps4 this gen. Like when sony claimed watch dogs would run 1080/60 on ps4, LOL

Are you really comparing an inaccurate blurb on a website that was quickly corrected to a deliberately misleading filmed advertising campaign?

WadeitOut

If you have a 4K tv, and what you're seeing is not letterboxed, then congratulations. You are playing in 4K. If the device, like a Roku 3, PS4 Pro, or Xbox One S can do 4K output's 4K. Not necessarily native, but everything is 4K.

So technically no, it's not anymore false than what the PS4 Pro is advertised as.

Drain You

Terrible ad, terribly misleading. They'll get away with it because of how it was worded, especially with the statement at the end.

faint.

You're going to get tons of flack for this, but you are correct. I've tried explaining Microsoft's marketing in the past but some people are too dense to comprehend.

Yes, their marketing is purposely misleading, but they are not lying. It's clever marketing using a play on words for what the console is capable of doing. Are they saying the games play at 4K Ultra HD resolution? No. But your mind is convinced they are because they're playing a game.

wapplew

Definitely a bit misleading. They end with "games and 4K entertainment". Word placement makes it technically correct. Can we also talk about how horrible of a commercial it is? Who green-lit this one? Just someone yelling the same thing a few times and then a quick quip? Awful

Those ad seems to be very effective tho, many compare one S with Pro, very clever way to defuse the advantage of PS4 Pro.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I kinda want Sony to do this, just to see you explode with rage in that thread
Where did I ever "explode with rage"?
Or is that one of those things where if you say it enough times you start believing it?

It might be clever but it's still disingenuous. But if casuals don't do their own research I've no sympathy if they don't get what they were expecting.

Why would I not call current consoles 1080p capable when probably over 98% of the games I own on ps4 are native 1080p. I own way too many games btw

I was mostly referring to the Xbox one itself with that statement.

The point was that it makes sense to advertise your output ceiling, not your output average.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If you have a 4K tv, and what you're seeing is not letterboxed, then congratulations. You are playing in 4K.

So technically no, it's not anymore false than what the PS4 Pro is advertised as.

Yes, it is. PS4 Pro does have games where the frame buffer is native 4K and the titles where they are above 1080p but not full 4K are differentiated. Is this your bar as a consumer? Do you accept the "cannot be technically sued for false information and are quite intentionally misleading but not enough to convince a jury in a trial and all appeals and get enough of a big punitive damage for this not to happen again" spiel from whoever sells you stuff of any kind?

BigEmil

If you have a 4K tv, and what you're seeing is not letterboxed, then congratulations. You are playing in 4K. If the device, like a Roku 3, PS4 Pro, or Xbox One S can do 4K output's 4K. Not necessarily native, but everything is 4K.

PS4 Pro is advertised mainly as dynamic 4k res in some games and actually has some games that natively plays games in 4k resolution so not wrong there that it can in fact do real 4k on the system PS4 Pro.

For Xbox One S however MS ads leads you to believe you can play games in 4k resolution when it's not at all just stretches the display mainly to 4k displays

oti

Banned
This commercial is terrible.

Grandma = mainstream = doesn't care at all about 4K
GAMER GUY doesn't look "that sharp".

I guess the idea here was to come up with an excuse to shout 4K resolution a couple of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom