• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox has removed the "Inside the Series S" video with Jason Ronaldo

a friend from africa explained me this
if the consoles or phone are sold in the country the same as in europe but their minimum wage is way lower
like PS5 costs 500 euro but the minim wage is 100/month
but if the console is not sold in the country and have to import it costs way more 700 or even 800 euro
thats why there they rely alot on old gen , now they are on PS4
what he does is when he travels there he bring a console to his family there
I've been thinking for some time that a new version of PS4 with an integrated SSD for around 200 dollars could have been successful in Africa, Latin America and other emerging markets

Roberts

E7AyKE5.jpg

The real Ronaldo.

wolffy66

The only reason to buy the S is if you just can't afford the X.

While it's an issue for Xbox I don't really think it's doing much harm. Of course everything on GAF is gonna get exaggerated but most people don't care as much as posters here.

I play with a few guys that have them. They all knew the were sacrificing by getting one but just didn't want to spend more at the time.

Rykan

The new Series S is insane.

350$. That's just 50$ cheaper than the PS5 digital, which has the same specs as a regular PS5 and similar to Xbox Series X. Unless you really want an Xbox over a Playstation, the PS5: DE is clearly a much better value than an Xbox Series S. If an extra 500gb equals a 50$ increase...why not offer an Xbox Series X with a smaller SSD for 50$ less?

Makes sense they remove the "What's inside the Series S?" because you don't want to know what's in there.

Last edited:
The video is full of lies. That’s why. That said, I got a Series S and see no point in the Series X. They’ll never do $200+ million budget games to show off the X.

Riky

$MSFT
They literally just announced a Carbon Black Series S?

image-5.png

And its probably gonna make them a killing if they actually manage to sell this thing for 350 dollars.

Definitely getting the new one it looks pretty slick. Funny with how game sizes are smaller it will actually be the next gen console with the most storage available by default, add that to the cheapest and the fact you can get big discounts from third party key sellers and it's a bargain.
Should see an uptick in sales when Starfield appears.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Bought a series x and flipped it, sent it back to the market, I think the series s looks better, it doesn’t have a disk drive but you have a better looking console.
Microsoft GIF by Xbox

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Definitely will be given™ the new one it looks pretty slick. Funny with how game sizes are smaller it will actually be the next gen console with the most storage available by default, add that to the cheapest and the fact you can get big discounts from third party key sellers and it's a bargain.
FTFY

TheTony316

"So from what they said in this video the Xbox Series S and the Series X have the same specs. With the main difference being a scale down in resolution from 4K to 1440, and the Series S not having a disk drive. I hope that information is accurate. If it is then the Series S is indeed on par with the PS5 in most areas, a bit better in others and cheaper."

Straight Face Trying Not To Laugh GIF

Last edited:

Gorgon

PC games are already developed with this kind of constraints and it's not an issue. They just need to lower resolution, asset quality and other effects.
Keep in mind AAA games still run on Steam Deck which is way more underpowered than Series S. Yes, it has more RAM but it also has to run a heavier OS and less optimized games.

Except that's not enough in some cases. The most obvious one is Baldur's Gate 3, which Larian can't get to run on the Series S. MS has sent engineers to help and it doesn't seem like it's getting anywhere so far.

wolffy66

It’s much smaller and lighter, so someone might prefer that over the size of the X.

It draws less power, so someone might prefer that over the X.

It’s easier to transport, some people might need that.

Its quieter than the X, some people might prefer that.
Those may be true but are those really gonna be significant numbers? Especially when you compare to the price motivated consumers?

I really don't think so.

Tommi84

I watched a bit and literally HALF OF THE INFORMATION is either misleading or straight up lies at this moment (1440p resolution xD). Yeah, i can imagine why they want to remove this and will probably ask IGN to do the same

Mate.
The economics of the Series S has never made sense, but that thing still sells.

For some consumers (read as most) simply being cheap is a major selling point.....they wont/dont have a Series X to do side by side comparisons of how the framerate/resolution/raytracing is lower on their Series S, they are just happy to be there having paid less money.

Consider at launch the Series S and a 512GB expansion card cost 450 dollars.
The Series X that comes with a disk drive, 1TB out of the box and much more potent GPU cost 500 dollars.
The first few years of this generation the choice wasnt between a $300 series s and a $500 series x/ps5.
It was a choice between a $300 series s from literally any retail chain and a $700 ‐ $900 series x/ps5 from ebay/facebook marketplace/random auction site because they were just about impossible to get from retail.

If a car doesn't sell as much as some other car, then it is failing ? This dumb reasoning should die.

Series S represents half of the sales of Xbox Series. If you can't understand how important this is for MS, then we can't help you.

We really needed to necrobump a 2 years old video to shit a bit more on MS.

Oh my God, MS have removed a video ! The world needs to know.
giphy.gif
How many automobile manufacturers are operating today? How many companies are making videogame consoles today?
Like it or not, the xbox doesn't exist in a vacuum. Competition exists.

What exactly does this comment have to do with the topic of the thread?
? Are you serious

The OP was claiming “video gone….is this the end of the series S?!?!?”

I then pointed out “they are litterally selling a new model of it in September”

Seems clear as day what my comment had to do with the thread topic

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

They finally understand Series S was a mistake.

That's like saying releasing a Geforce 4060 is a mistake when you have a 4080. I know many gamers who are perfectly happy with their Series S. I purchased one for my boys for their play room and have it connected to a 64" flagship Samsung plasma display (from about 2015) and it looks glorious! In fact it's the perfect match, I don't need a 4K capable console for that beautiful set, the F8500 was a beast for its time. I'm gaming on a Sony A80J 77" which is perfect for Series X and PS5, so handing that down with a Series S is a match made in heaven.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
That's like saying releasing a Geforce 4060 is a mistake when you have a 4080. I know many gamers who are perfectly happy with their Series S. I purchased one for my boys for their play room and have it connected to a 65" flagship Samsung plasma display (from about 2015) and it looks glorious! In fact it's the perfect match, I don't need a 4K capable console for that beautiful set, the F8500 was a beast for its time. I'm gaming on a Sony A80J 77" which is perfect for Series X and PS5, so handing that down with a Series S is a perfect match

The problem with Xbox is that they are forcing devs to bring the games with equal features to both consoles
And when something like split screen doesn't work ln series s they have to remove it from x too or they can't release the game

About the only thing they can change. They really should have given the S two more GB's or RAM. Too late now.
I agree 12 gig of ram perhaps it could get the 1x version of xbox one games, but they didn't.
Still I love the device it's awesome for the smaller tv and for the kids to play on and sweet to take round to a friends house.

twilo99

Those may be true but are those really gonna be significant numbers? Especially when you compare to the price motivated consumers?

I really don't think so.

Sure, I'm just saying there are more reasons than price to get the series s.

I got it because of it's incredible effeciency.. I've got it sitting next to a 6800xt based PC that pulls maybe, oh I dunno 3x-4x more power during gaming, and does it give me 4x the pleasure/entertainment compared to the series S?

Nope.

Its true that I can play games on my PC in a way that is simply impossible on the series s, but then again I'll have the same exact problem on the series x or the PS5, neither of which can’t hit 165FPS in CoD/CSGO/Quake etc. to match my monitor.

Last edited:

twilo99

Sometimes the weekly gamepass quests don't work on PC like the Wolfenstein one from this week for example... the kills simply don't register..

I really don't feel like doing it on the xss with a controller lol

RaySoft

I agree 12 gig of ram perhaps it could get the 1x version of xbox one games, but they didn't.
Still I love the device it's awesome for the smaller tv and for the kids to play on and sweet to take round to a friends house.
Yeah, their idea was good, but the RAM decision at the time put a more distinct limitation on the hardware down the line. They should have been more liberal with RAM specs since they couldn't know where future tech were heading at the time. Feels like they just did the math for the pixels, wich in turn made the system less dynamic in the end.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I'm sure the Xbox Series S didn't meet their expectations in regard to hardware specs. It was struggling out of the gate for developers.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
They're probably just replacing that video with one who explains why the Series S will finally prove to be more powerful and show better graphics/framerates than the PS5 because of Sampler Feedback and Variable Rate Shading.

We're just a few months away from getting games that show all the immense power of Xbox's super exclusive DirectX12 Ultimate.
Just you wait.

Definitely getting the new one it looks pretty slick. Funny with how game sizes are smaller it will actually be the next gen console with the most storage available by default, add that to the cheapest and the fact you can get big discounts from third party key sellers and it's a bargain.
Haven't you said multiple times you have multiple Xboxs in your house. Wouldn't this be the 4th one now?

What do you do collect them for fun or duct tape then together for ultra power?

I guess it's one more console you can put the removable storage into.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
It’s much smaller and lighter, so someone might prefer that over the size of the X.

It draws less power, so someone might prefer that over the X.

It’s easier to transport, some people might need that.

Its quieter than the X, some people might prefer that.
I'm at consumer: I don't play that many video games, so the price was appealing. Equally as appealing was the size; the Series S fits neatly on a tray under my desk.

twilo99

I'm sure the Xbox Series S didn't meet their expectations in regard to hardware specs. It was struggling out of the gate for developers.

For sure! I can't understand why they keep making them, and on top of that, would you believe it, selling them! The tenacity of these xbox people is appalling.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Obviously they pulled as it will no longer match looks or spec wise with the new one being sold, to think otherwise after it being up for years is just dumb.

As to the ps5 de being a better value, that assumes three things,

1. They don't want to play games like starfield or forza or other xbox exclusives
2. They don't already own a ps5.
3. The series S 1tb doesn't drop in price

Three

Obviously they pulled as it will no longer match looks or spec wise with the new one being sold, to think otherwise after it being up for years is just dumb.
Are you being serious? Nowhere in the video had they mentioned the abysmal storage space in the Series S. So the only thing that would "no longer match" is them showing white plastic instead of the additional black colour available in September.

ergem

If MS will discontinue Series S this early, it will be a blow to their goodwill and will damage the already damaged xbox brand.

But I wouldn’t put it pass them.

Top Bottom