• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Viewsonic team up to release the first 4k gaming projector designed for Xbox.

I'd kill for that 5,000 lumens laser projector but it's so ridiculously expensive. I know it's made for Cinema venues but you can probably buy a small flat ouside the city at that price. The only laser projector I have is an ultra portable Sony MP-CD1 I had to import from Japan and it only does something like 105 lumens.
Look at this one instead, payable and better in some aspects, while worse in others obviously:

I’m saving up for this one since it’s totally awesome

Roberts

Dreamt of having a projector most of my adult life. Finally bought one around 2015 and a huge screen to project it on. Had fun two years or so with it but then moved to a 65 OLED and the projector has been collecting dust ever since. TV simply feels better.

Sorcerer

I don't understand how they can claim "Cinema Quality Sound" out of such a small box? Are they implying self contained sound or Cinema Quality sound when run through a receiver or soundbar? If it is that self-contained that would be rather amazing.

Three

What about lamps? How long they last and can you find one for older projectors?
I had a lamp blow on one of my projectors (pretty scary bang) and had to get a replacement from ebay that came from china. They're fairly easy to find. They usually give lamp life in hours in the spec. Laser projectors are better though where ypu don't need to worry about it and they have better blacks and infinite focal length for easy setup.

What about lamps? How long they last and can you find one for older projectors?
Laser and Led projectors don’t use lamps. They’re just like your modern tv. They last between minimum 20.000 to 30.000 hours, just like a tv. Old projectors use lamps and you can easily buy replacements anywhere. The price of those vary greatly. For my projector it’d be around 200 dollars but they go from 100 to 600 depending on the projector brand.

That’s one reason I want the laser as well. Never have to replace them and they keep initial brightness until the end of their lifetime. Old lamps lose up to 50% or brightness within 2000 to 3000 hours and you’ll have to buy a new one.

UnNamed

Banned
I had a 1080p projector and a 4K too, but in the end I sold everything because I think a +65inch TV is the better choice unless you have a big hall.
Projector are relatively expensive but the real problem is the screen projector, a good one costs like a normal TV, and still you don't have the same brightness and contrast.

I've seen a 77 Oled from LG, it's my next purchase after I will sell my remaining kidney.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It can never reach black levels of oled for obvious purposes. But it does get brighter and the motion is more smooth. I wouldn’t say oled or the other is better. It’s just different. Personally I’ll sacrifice a little black level for the enormous size and better motion. I have an 77 inch lg cx in my living room and both options are nice. I prefer gaming and movies on the projector, while watching shorter content like tv series or YouTube and stuff on tv.

Saying oled is inherently better is ignorant as both options have pros and cons in respective areas. Only thing I don’t like too much about projectors is a thing in general, and that is that you have to darken your room to get the best picture.

But I can say that on my lg oled, in daytime when the sun shines, I can almost not see anything on that tv as well even with 100% brightness.

The motion on your projector may or may not be subjectively better since your completely ignoring the nature of refresh on your projector.

You acknowledge the better black levels of oled but are not knowledging the large impact the raw contrast has on every mid tone scene.
As far as the oled goes in the living room, even the best and brightest tv has issues with this, it's a moot point. Try out your projector in that same space.

Put the oled and the projector in the same light controlled room, and the oled wins every time.

Last edited:
copy paste from the full spec sheet:

Input Lag: 4.2ms
Resolution Support: VGA(640 x 480) to 4K(3840 x 2160)
HDTV Compatibility: 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, 2160p
Horizontal Frequency: 15K-135KHz
Vertical Scan Rate: 23-240Hz

Does that last line mean it can do VRR?

Supposedly yes.

Mr.Phoenix

Obviously, a lot here are not projector people. This is a BS product. And there s a lot of marketing garbage that is designed to foo the noobs.

First off, they ist its lumen out in `led lumens`. Anyone that knows projectors will know that is a dead giveaway. Projector brightness is measured in ANSI lumens. A decent projector, should have at least 2000 ansi lumens. This projector has around 1200 ansi lumens.

And that talk about being a 4K projector? Anyone that knows will know how unbelievably expensive those are. And will also know that out sony, JVC and Christie... NO ONE makes a native 4k projector. Thats why the spec sheet is saying `supported` resolutions and nowhere does it say native resolution. Even the more expensive UST 4k projectors on the market from lg, Samsung...etc, only manage 4K using something called pixel shifting.

This is a 1080p native projector at best. And if it does pixel shift,which I can't see t doing at that price, then a 240hz native refresh on a 1080p native pane means it does 4 way pixel shift which you guessed it, divides that refresh rate by 4. But lets not get ahead of ourselves here, if it does pixel shift,it would be in the spec sheet, they're usually proud f that.

Furthermore, its HDMI spec is 2.0. You can't do anything above 4k 60 with 2.0.

Not knocking them or their effort, I just cant stand bad or misleading marketing. I could say more, but I have given this product enough of my time.

Yes, I am a projector person.

Obviously, a lot here are not projector people. This is a BS product. And there s a lot of marketing garbage that is designed to foo the noobs.

First off, they ist its lumen out in `led lumens`. Anyone that knows projectors will know that is a dead giveaway. Projector brightness is measured in ANSI lumens. A decent projector, should have at least 2000 ansi lumens. This projector has around 1200 ansi lumens.

And that talk about being a 4K projector? Anyone that knows will know how unbelievably expensive those are. And will also know that out sony, JVC and Christie... NO ONE makes a native 4k projector. Thats why the spec sheet is saying `supported` resolutions and nowhere does it say native resolution. Even the more expensive UST 4k projectors on the market from lg, Samsung...etc, only manage 4K using something called pixel shifting.

This is a 1080p native projector at best. And if it does pixel shift,which I can't see t doing at that price, then a 240hz native refresh on a 1080p native pane means it does 4 way pixel shift which you guessed it, divides that refresh rate by 4. But lets not get ahead of ourselves here, if it does pixel shift,it would be in the spec sheet, they're usually proud f that.

Furthermore, its HDMI spec is 2.0. You can't do anything above 4k 60 with 2.0.

Not knocking them or their effort, I just cant stand bad or misleading marketing. I could say more, but I have given this product enough of my time.

Yes, I am a projector person.
If you’re a projector person you know your story is a tale out of your ass. Yes most projectors are not native 4K. The laser one from Sony I just linked is though and there are many more true 4K laser projectors nowadays. Yes they’re pretty expensive around 5000/6000 dollars but saying there are none is bullshit.

Mr.Phoenix

If you’re a projector person you know your story is a tale out of your ass. Yes most projectors are not native 4K. The laser one from Sony I just linked is though and there are many more true 4K laser projectors nowadays. Yes they’re pretty expensive around 5000/6000 dollars but saying there are none is bullshit.
Are you kidding me?

pls, show me these many more TRUE 4K laser projectors that are even at that $5K price point. And I did point out that sony, is among the few companies that actually make true 4K projectors. And have any idea how much a sony/jvc projector cost?

You know absolutely shit all about what you are saying.. and if you feel you do, point out what you think have said that is wrong... and I will prove how little you know about what you are saying. like you do not come at someone from a perch of pure ignorance.

And that you are even comparing laser and led light source-based projectors or not even noticing how this projector describes its light output speaks volumes of how much you know.

And I HAVE one of those 5-6k UST laser projectors just bought last year... and trust me... you are not getting a projector that is a true native 4K projector at that price point either.

Last edited:
Are you kidding me?

pls, show me these many more TRUE 4K laser projectors that are even at that $5K price point. And I did point out that sony, is among the few companies that actually make true 4K projectors. And have any idea how much a sony/jvc projector cost?

You know absolutely shit all about what you are saying.. and if you feel you do, point out what you think have said that is wrong... and I will prove how little you know about what you are saying. like you do not come at someone from a perch of pure ignorance.

And that you are even comparing laser and led light source-based projectors or not even noticing how this projector describes its light output speaks volumes of how much you know.

And I HAVE one of those 5-6k UST laser projectors just bought last year... and trust me... you are not getting a projector that is a true native 4K projector at that price point either.
Shifting goal posts immediately wow. You say there are no true 4K projectors. I show you one immediately and now I have to make a list lol. You can do that yourself. Good for you that you bought a pixel shifter but there are true 4K laser projectors around 5000 bucks. Like the Sony I showed.

Also this one, native 4K, 1500 bucks only:

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/benq-ht3550-4k-hdr-projector

Please stop hurting your own lack of knowledge by trying to say I’m wrong. And yes I know the difference between ansi and led lumens but we were not talking about light. You said there are no native 4K projectors and I showed you 2 now already within a price range from 1500 to 5000 dollars. Please stop moving goal posts.

And yes the Xbox projector is probably crap.

And another one:
https://www.techradar.com/reviews/jvc-dla-nz8-4k-laser-projector

Please update your own knowledge, I’m not going to do it for you.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Shifting goal posts immediately wow. You say there are no true 4K projectors. I show you one immediately and now I have to make a list lol. You can do that yourself. Good for you that you bought a pixel shifter but there are true 4K laser projectors around 5000 bucks. Like the Sony I showed.

Also this one, native 4K, 1500 bucks only:

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/benq-ht3550-4k-hdr-projector

Please stop hurting your own lack of knowledge by trying to say I’m wrong. And yes I know the difference between ansi and led lumens but we were not talking about light. You said there are no native 4K projectors and I showed you 2 now already within a price range from 1500 to 5000 dollars. Please stop moving goal posts.

And yes the Xbox projector is probably crap.

And another one:
https://www.techradar.com/reviews/jvc-dla-nz8-4k-laser-projector

Please update your own knowledge, I’m not going to do it for you.
If you are going to do this... at least take the time to read what you are arguing against.

In the very post, you quoted.. I said, outside of sony, JVC and christie (you can throw Panasonic in there too).... no one (meaning,no one else makes true 4k projectors). Please, read what I said originally. Read the OP that you quoted,its right there. I did point out that there are very few companies that make true 4K projectors... and those are ridiculously expensive. like he JVC you just inked in this post... that shit cost $15k

The person here with a lack of knowledge is you. Do you see that first one you just linked? the benq...its NOT a native 4K projector. It uses pixel shifting. 4-phase pixel shifting to be exact, its also a DlP projector, which means its using a texas instruments DMD chip, for it to be doing 4-phase pixel shift,it means it's using the 0.47 inch texas instruments DMD chip, which is a 1080p chip. A 1080 chip will need to shift 4 times to make up a 4K image. And that image is softer than the pixel-shifting projectors that only needs to shift twice, which are softer than a native 4K projector.

That is NOT a true 4K projector. And you listing that first benq as a native 4K for under $1500 shows your complete lack of knowledge.

And you are talking to me about updating my knowledge and yet you are the one here that seems oblivious to what a true 4K projector is and one that does `4K` or fake 4K by using pixel shift?

If you don't even understand the difference between true native 4k and pixel shift, how can you even begin to understand why a projector like this Viewsonic will at best do 1080p at 240hz but only be able to do 4K at 60hz?

here...i quoted and bolded myself for you.

And that talk about being a 4K projector? Anyone that knows will know how unbelievably expensive those are. And also know that out sony, JVC and Christie... NO ONE makes a native 4k projector. Thats why the spec sheet is saying `supported` resolutions and nowhere does it say native resolution. Even the more expensive UST 4k projectors on the market from lg, Samsung...etc, only manage 4K using something called pixel shifting.
How can I ask if anyone knows how expensive native 4K projectors are and be being accused of saying no one makes native 4K projectors when I clearly listed out examples of the few companies that do. read.

Last edited:
If you are going to do this... at least take the time to read what you are arguing against.

In the very post you quoted.. I said, outside of sony, JVC and christie (you can throw Panasonic in there too).... no one (meaning,no one else makes true 4k projectors). Pease, read what I said originally. Read theOP that you quoted,its right there. I did point out that there are very few companies that make true 4K projectors... and those are ridicuousy expensive. like he JVC you just inked in this post... that shit cost $15k

The person here with a lack of knowledge is you. You see that first one you just linked? the benq...its NOT a native 4K projector. It uses pixel shifting. 4 phase pixel shifting to be exact, its also a DlP projector, which means its using a texas instruments DMD chip, or it to be doing 4 phase pixel shift,it means its using the 0.47 inch texas instruments DMD chip, which i a 1080p chip

That is NOT a true 4K projector. And you listing that first benq as a native 4K for under $1500 shows your complete lack of knowledge.

And you are talking to me about updating my knowledge and yet you are the one here that seems oblivious to what a true 4K projector is and one that does `4K` or fake 4K by using pixel shift?

If you don't even understand the difference between true native 4k and pixel shift, how can you even begin to understand why a projector like this Viewsonic wi at best do 1080p at 240hz but only be able to do 4K at 60hz? How can I start to explain the difference between led lumens and ansi lumens.

Only thing worse than an ignorant person is one that doesn't know they are ignorant.

here...i quoted and bolded myself for you.

How can I ask if anyone knows how expensive native 4K projectors are and be being accused of saying no one makes native 4K projectors when I clearly listed out examples of the few companies that do. learn to fucking read.
At least learn to read lol, literally from the article I sent you:

Thankfully, however, that's starting to change. Just recently, we’ve finally started getting a few projectors that support native 4K resolutions - like, for example, the all-new BenQ HT3550 (called the BenQ W2700 in Europe and the UK).

I either don’t know what native 4K resolution means, or you’re just plain wrong. I’m done arguing with you. It’s ok you know to just admit you’re wrong instead of digging deeper and deeper.

Mr.Phoenix

Thankfully, however, that's starting to change. Just recently, we’ve finally started getting a few projectors that support native 4K resolutions - like, for example, the all-new BenQ HT3550 (called the BenQ W2700 in Europe and the UK).

I either don’t know what native 4K resolution means, or you’re just plain wrong. I’m done arguing with you. It’s ok you know to just admit you’re wrong instead of digging deeper and deeper.
You are just getting your information from the wrong place.

Here is an actual review of that projector. Its NOT a native 4K projector.

You are welcome. You are sofar gone you cant see you are the one digging yourself into a hole.

BenQ themselves say the HT3550 uses pixel shifting. 🤷‍♂️
Thank you... the dude is here arguing about shit he clearly has limited knowledge of... nd has that kinda foolish pride that won't even let him admit he is wrong.

Last edited:
You are just getting your information from the wrong place.

Here is an actual review of that projector. Its NOT a native 4K projector.

You are welcome.

Thank you... the dude is here arguing about shit he clearly has limited knowledge of... nd has that kinda foolish pride that won't even let him admit he is wrong.
Ok cool, that one example of mine is wrong. See? It’s not so hard to admit a mistake. The other 2 are true 4K laser projectors though at the price point I mentioned. They’re not cheap, but they are awesome.

Currently I own an Epson TW9400, it’s neither laser nor 4K, it’s a pixel shifter just like you have. Technically you get a near full 4K picture on the screen but I don’t know about your projector but you can hear the pixel shift tone a little bit on the Epson.

Can’t wait until I buy the Sony, it’ll be awesome.

Brucey

That article is from 2019, it's not new. Non native/wobulation 4k DLP is commonplace these days. You can get into native 4k at $6000 with the Sony XW5000ES projector. Definitely a hefty bump up in price from single chip wobulation dlp. Also some people are prone to seeing rainbow flashing with some dlp projectors.

Mr.Phoenix

Ok cool, that one example of mine is wrong. See? It’s not so hard to admit a mistake. The other 2 are true 4K laser projectors though at the price point I mentioned. They’re not cheap, but they are awesome.

Currently I own an Epson TW9400, it’s neither laser nor 4K, it’s a pixel shifter just like you have. Technically you get a near full 4K picture on the screen but I don’t know about your projector but you can hear the pixel shift tone a little bit on the Epson.

Can’t wait until I buy the Sony, it’ll be awesome.
And I never said there are no native 4K projects. That was something else I said that you misquoted. So what exactly have I said that is wrong?

In my OP,I said that outside sony, JVC and christie... and you can throw Panasonic in there... that no one else makes native 4K projectors. You sure as hell are not going to see a natve modern laser 4K projector from anyone for under $8K. Can probably get some older ones from sony and JVC for like $5k.

What ViewSonic is doing,is deceptive marketing. Calling something that suports4K to be something that s native 4K. listing led lumens instead of ani lumens....etc. Of course, they can claim 5ms response time... but that shit becomes at east 20s when it takes 4 frames to make one 4K image.

I have the Espon ls800b UST 3-chip LCD projector. Fortunately, I don't get any pixel-shifting whine.

That article is from 2019, it's not new. Non native/wobulation 4k DLP is commonplace these days. You can get into native 4k at $6000 with the Sony XW5000ES projector. Definitely a hefty bump up in price from single chip wobulation dlp. Also some people are prone to seeing rainbow flashing with some dlp projectors.
like me, that's one of the reasons I went with the Epson 3lcd UST. other reason was 16ms response time.

Last edited:
And I never said there are no native 4K projects. That was something else I said that you misquoted. So what exactly have I said that is wrong?

In my OP,I said that outside sony, JVC and christie... and you can throw Panasonic in there... that no one else makes native 4K projectors. You sure as hell are not going to see a natve modern laser 4K projector from anyone for under $8K. Can probably get some older ones from sony and JVC for like $5k.

What ViewSonic is doing,is deceptive marketing. Calling something that suports4K to be something that s native 4K. listing led lumens instead of ani lumens....etc. Of course, they can claim 5ms response time... but that shit becomes at east 20s when it takes 4 frames to make one 4K image.

I have the Espon ls800b UST 3-chip LCD projector. Fortunately, I don't get any pixel-shifting whine.
Agree with you on the ViewSonic deceptive marketing. Also like you say the response time is complete nonsense, that’s only at 1080p/240hz according to their own specs. So make it 120hz it doubles, make it 60hz it quadruples and suddenly you have like minimum 30 or 40ms on 1080p, then go to 4k.

When I glanced at it I was like: looks pretty cool, then I saw the price and knew it’s not what it looks. And then when you look further at the specs it all falls apart.

Don’t know what you call old though but: https://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony-VPL-XW5000ES-Laser-Projector-Review.htm

Is less than 1 year old. So I guess that’s a modern 4K laser projector way under 8k dollars. That’s why I need to have it 🤣. Would like to go for the 6000 model but the price increase is too much for what you get in my opinion.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Bummer if it’s a pixel shift projector. I’ve been waiting for sometime now to upgrade from my old Epson TW9200 which is 1080p. As a dinosaur I still use the 3D glasses though, assuming that’s another thing that might fall off in these lower budget projectors.

Mr.Phoenix

Agree with you on the ViewSonic deceptive marketing. Also like you say the response time is complete nonsense, that’s only at 1080p/240hz according to their own specs. So make it 120hz it doubles, make it 60hz it quadruples and suddenly you have like minimum 30 or 40ms on 1080p, then go to 4k.

When I glanced at it I was like: looks pretty cool, then I saw the price and knew it’s not what it looks. And then when you look further at the specs it all falls apart.

Don’t know what you call old though but: https://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony-VPL-XW5000ES-Laser-Projector-Review.htm

Is less than 1 year old. So I guess that’s a modern 4K laser projector way under 8k dollars. That’s why I need to have it 🤣. Would like to go for the 6000 model but the price increase is too much for what you get in my opinion.
Oh yeah I forgot about that one... I gave it a look when I was projector shopping last year. For whatever reason, I thought it was an old projector. Then again, my focus was only on UST projectors so whenever I saw something more conventional I didn't pay it much mind.

And yes, sony makes some good shit... biggest mistake I made was looking up their UST projector. Makes my $4k`ish projector seem like a budget projector.

Oh yeah I forgot about that one... I gave it a look when I was projector shopping last year. For whatever reason, I thought it was an old projector. Then again, my focus was only on UST projectors so whenever I saw something more conventional I didn't pay it much mind.

And yes, sony makes some good shit... biggest mistake I made was looking up their UST projector. Makes my $4k`ish projector seem like a budget projector.
Ah yes that may be but Sonys ust projector is around 10x the price of yours isn’t it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom