• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Compromised accounts, what the hell is going on? An explanation

STEaMkb

Another week, another victim. In this case, the OP had 2 two accounts that were not linked together hacked at the same time. How can this be? The answer is "credential stuffing". I asked hackers how the process works, and to my surprise, they told me.

A significant percentage of the population re-use the same log-in information on multiple online services. So after one service gets hacked (e.g. Yahoo) and the data appears on the dark web, unscrupulous individuals begin sorting through the information looking for paired accounts. This endeavour is aided greatly by the popularity of a computer program [that shall not be identified]. The program reads the plain data and begins to make automated log-in attempts across a range of services, switching IP address after every failed log-in attempt in order to avoid detection. After a period of time has passed the program will have identified active accounts that the user can either share with others for free or monetize for personal gain.

Step 1: The hacker obtains the latest email/password dump
Step 2: With config file and proxy list in hand, the hacker feeds the information into [censored program]
Step 3: Wake up in the morning.... success! A fresh batch of Netflix, Spotify, PayPal and PSN accounts

4ydlBxz.png

Microsoft attempt to get ahead of cyber criminals and defuse the latest password dumps before the information can be monetized. Their security team created an automated system to sort through third-party data. The program looks for matching account emails in their system and, when discovered, it sends password resets to each user, forcing them to pick a new password distinct from the last. They explain this process on their blog:

As a lot of you know, a number of articles were published last week about a Russian hacker offering 272.3 million stolen usernames and passwords... When we discover a new list of usernames and passwords, we run them through an automated system that checks to see if any of the credentials match those in our MSA or Azure AD systems... For this particular list, 9.62% of the usernames matched an account in our systems [and] 1.03% had a matching password... Once we’ve identified the subset of accounts that are vulnerable, our automated mitigations kick in to protect them.

It's not perfect because it's impossible to keep up with the staggering number of breaches and Xbox Live accounts still get hacked -- just at a less frequent rate. Sony have also increased the rate at which they force password resets, but it's not clear if this is entirely random or in response to specific threats.

I have reported many pastes to Sony in recent months. Some lists had 300+ active PSN accounts up for grabs. In every case, the account information matched an existing entry in haveibeenpwned.com or hacked-emails.com. You can read about my findings here. It's even possible to observe a correlation between the fresh security breaches and pastes. People will often deny that they used the same email and password on other services, perhaps out of embarrassment, but the evidence shows that the number of people who do is considerable.

tl;dr A significant number of people re-use the same log-in credentials across multiple online services, and the technical know-how for identifying them is getting better. When your data is leaked from one website, every other site with the same password is vulnerable.

Mr Moose

Another week, another victim. In this case, the OP had 2 two accounts that were not linked together hacked at the same time. How can this be?

The answer is PS+ auto renew. Nothing to see here. (With the new "victim").

Edit: I should say nothing to see there (in the case of the latest "victim"). People need to see things like this to wake them up so they are more cautious.

Mr Moose

Still everything in this thread is worth repeating. I do wonder sometimes if we should have a digital security for consoles thread stickied.

Absolutely, people need to be more careful. No two accounts should have the same password and should use 2 step auth when possible.
Some seem to be too lazy to do anything about it like turning on 2 step, which ends up biting them in the ass.

hodgy100

Absolutely, people need to be more careful. No two accounts should have the same password and should use 2 step auth when possible.
Some seem to be too lazy to do anything about it like turning on 2 step, which ends up biting them in the ass.

yeah basically dont put payment info on something that doesn't have 2fa

Rellik

Do you know if Sony actually did anything with what you reported to them?

And they really should have the same/similar set up to Microsoft's automated system.

STEaMkb

Do you know if Sony actually did anything with what you reported to them?

All of the accounts were recovered, they told me. They thanked me, asked me for my T-Shirt size, and offered to place my name on their Secure@Sony “Hall of Thanks” page.

And they really should have the same/similar set up to Microsoft's automated system.

Yes! I sent them a bunch of links, including research paper on credential stuffing attacks. Tbh, I think they already know about the problem. Hence some of the recent security measures they have been rolling out. Forced password resets, etc.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I wonder when there is going to be global laws for the internet and when proper prosecution of these people will occur regardless of origin.

Rellik

All of the accounts were recovered, they told me. They thanked me, asked me for my T-Shirt size, and offered to place my name on their Secure@Sony “Hall of Thanks” page.

Yes! I sent them a bunch of links, including research paper on credential stuffing attacks. Tbh, I think they already know about the problem. Hence some of the recent security measures they have been rolling out. Forced password resets, etc.

Awesome. Good to hear.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
tl;dr A significant number of people re-use the same log-in credentials across multiple online services, and the technical know-how for identifying them is getting better. When your data is leaked from one website, every other site with the same password is vulnerable.
This.

This is by an incredibly margin the number one reason of compromises in my professional experience, the second one is a poor password.

Ogawa-san

This is why I escalated my paranoia to not only using unique passwords (thanks to Lastpass, not a photographic memory), but unique usernames and emails whenever I can as well.

PSN could be breached again tomorrow, they wouldn't be able to match my email anywhere else being something like "ogawasan+ps3ps4vita@gmail.com". A script can easily remove whatever comes after the plus sign for gmail accounts to find the "base" account, but it's not going to guess my Uplay username "ogawasan+uplayubi@gmail.com".

TalonJH

Great thread OP. People really need to take their online security into their own hands. It's important and far too easy to be taken advantage of. At least take the time to go 2fv, Password manager, and unique strong passwords. It's not that bad.

entremet

You need to 2FA your primary email and 2FA your game accounts.

Do those two and you'll be a much more secure place.

I'm pretty shocked how many lack 2FA on their primary email address Do it now!

And get LastPass or a similar product to store and create unique passwords.

autoduelist

I wonder when there is going to be global laws for the internet and when proper prosecution of these people will occur regardless of origin.

Hopefully Never? I hardly think a bit of online fraud is reason for one world government.

Not to mention, most online crime occurs in countries where even some sort of global police force (yuck) would have a terrible (read impossible) time enforcing anything. And what country would want this global police force to have such jurisdiction and access to its citizens? Would you want, say, your brother scooped up by some global agency where the rights you are accustomed to as a citizen of your current country may not apply? All this just to try to (unsuccessfully) stop some people having their accounts Hacked? Helllllll no.

Head.spawn

Wow.

"How to order (safely) from cracked Amazon accounts."

Can we just restart the internet already?

Thanks for the info OP. Even though I haven't been compromised yet, I've been on a password revamp kick for a the past few months after seeing all of these PSN threads popping up.

Ponn

Banned
Nice OP, should be read by everyone. Unfortunately the realist in me tells me the people that should be reading it won't and we will get another round of "My account was hacked" threads this week that are all carbon copies of each other.

j0hnnix

great write up. while increasing the difficulty of the password is important mfa is the biggest prevention, but many users avoid it due to inconvenience. people are learning ghe hard way.

Yes, yes. So much this! Every time another "my account hacked" thread appears people just spam that thread with "I bet you didn't use 2FA" posts ignoring the actual causes of why account was stolen. 2FA is just a band-aid to the problem and not the fix. The real fix is using STRONG and UNIQUE password EVERYWHERE.

I always recommend poeple to check their info on https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Then change their passwords everywhere and use one of password managers, preferably offline ones, like KeePass http://keepass.info/

Of course enabling 2FA is good, but think of it as a last resort, not as primary reason why your account is secure. Having unique passwords is what truly makes all your accounts secure.

With 2FA is there any risk of losing access to your account if you lost your phone number? I think it's easy enough to retain your phone number when changing providers / contracts but I'm not sure if there are situations (Loss? Theft?) where it might be trickier. I read somewhere that you are supposed to receive 'backup' authentication keys upon enabling 2FA but I don't recall seeing that for any services I've enabled 2FA on.

XOMTOR

For those advocating 2FA, are you using a secondary or tertiary email account or are you relying on SMS texts to your phone?

You need to 2FA your primary email and 2FA your game accounts.

Do those two and you'll be a much more secure place.

I'm pretty shocked how many lack 2FA on their primary email address Do it now!

And get LastPass or a similar product to store and create unique passwords.

What is 2FA?

I make a unique password for every new sign up, but use the same email address.

Doesn't two step identification require a cellphone? What if I change my number or get a new phone with a new number?

5taquitos

What is 2FA?

I make a unique password for every new sign up, but use the same email address.

Doesn't two step identification require a cellphone? What if I change my number or get a new phone with a new number?

Then you update your 2FA settings. All 2FA services have backup codes that you can use if you don't have access to your phone. So if you switch phones but forget to disable 2FA first, use a backup code to log in and update your phone number.

You shouldn't let the unknown possibility of changing phones in the future prevent you from securing your accounts today.

Top Bottom