• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare points: Why are these still a thing?

Jibbed

I've been meaning to come back to Mass Effect 3 for a while now, so I thought that with the Origin Holiday Sale I could finally pick up all the remaining DLC I don't have for a decent price and have one final complete play-through.

Wrong.

My N7 Edition Mass Effect 3 (digital) doesn't have the following content:
  • Citadel - 1200 points
  • Omega - 1200 points
  • Alternate Appearance Pack 1 - 160 points
  • Groundside Resistance Pack - 160 points
  • Leviathan - 800 points
  • Firefight Pack - 160 points
Total: 3680 Bioware points

Even with my Origin Access 10% discount, Bioware points are priced as following (and I could only find these on the Mass Effect 2 game page...):
  • 1600 points - £14.40 ($17.65)
  • 800 points - £7.20 ($8.83)
Amount I need to buy all the remaining content: 4000 points / £36.00 / $44.13.

Why the hell are these things never on sale? Or better yet, why are they still present on the store as a form of currency?

Even if EA doesn't want to remaster them, that I can't just give them £35 for ME 1, 2, 3 and all the DLC in a single launcher executable that has good save-file management is mad. I already own 85% of it and I'd still do it just for an easily accessible version of Bring Down The Sky.

Honestly assumed the Bioware point stuff had gone away when they migrated to Origin but RIP that idea. This surely isn't the distribution model for Andromeda's inevitable DLC expansion?

Garlador

For the same reason fluff DLC like Omega is still $15, the trilogy collection is missing almost $90 worth of story DLC on certain systems, there is no official controller support, and EA hasn't released a remaster with all content included.

They just can't be bothered.

As great as the games are, the business side related to DLC and rereleases has always been infamously atrocious.

yeah weird they never put on sale DLC's, i know many would buy it....and throw away those points, what's the meaning of them? normal price and be done with it :)

Mivey

Why the hell are these things never on sale? Or better yet, why are they still present on the store as a form of currency?
I am guessing BioWare is soley responsible for them (both for how its organized and the technical back-end) and is getting the revenue from them. Releasing them through collections in Origin proper would mean giving up that sweet desperate-PC-Gamer-who-needs-all-DLCs money. Can't blame them. They have to feed their families somehow.

dmr87

It's laughable that they still exist and that you can't simply buy a complete pack with Mass Effect 1-3 + DLC and move on with your life. Getting someone new to play the games for the first time is a pain in the ass when you need to go through so many extra hoops.

Lots of speculation from everyone.

Honestly, I feel like nobody at EA or Bioware can be bothered to do anything about it at this point. It's an absolute mess, but maybe they've worked out that they probably wouldn't get any significant influx of sales if they fixed it. I've still never touched ME3's DLC (other than Javik), but I've been holding out for the trilogy remaster for years now, because I'm just not going to spend the cost of a new game on some DLC for a four-year-old game I didn't even like that much.

Jawmuncher

It's EA and Bioware not giving a fuck. It's one of the biggest reasons I feel that the series needs a rerelease and such. Just so the PC version can have all the DLC cleaned up.

They are essentially baiting customers with low initial price and then hope to squize more money from DLC.

I wouldn't bother with Bioware DLC anyway judgining by the quality of those I got as part of their 10$ project

Jibbed

To this day I have to chat with an EA rep whenever I want to install BDtS for the first ME game

Haha yeah, fuck me that whole process is garbage.

Recently I spent nearly an hour wading through old Mass Effect websites and EA help pages to find a link that worked for BDtS.

Garlador

Lots of speculation from everyone.

Honestly, I feel like nobody at EA or Bioware can be bothered to do anything about it at this point. It's an absolute mess, but maybe they've worked out that they probably wouldn't get any significant influx of sales if they fixed it. I've still never touched ME3's DLC (other than Javik), but I've been holding out for the trilogy remaster for years now, because I'm just not going to spend the cost of a new game on some DLC for a four-year-old game I didn't even like that much.
I wouldn't bother with Bioware DLC anyway judgining by the quality of those I got as part of their 10$ project

I'll harp on them forever until the remedy this situation. If they want me to finally shut up about it and stop pestering their poor customer service reps (or to stop sending their CEO letters in the mail), they need to do - at the bare minimum - a rerelease with all DLC included. I'm not even asking for a remaster (I totally am asking for a remaster), but the fact the there is no version of the trilogy released with all content and story chapters and characters included is beyond baffling.

And to address the comments above... this is both a sour opinion of me and at the same time a recommendation. I think almost every single solitary bit of DLC for ME3 (barring "Omega") is "vital" to the experience. ME3 is a vastly weaker, less satisfying game without Leviathan's lore making sense of things, without Javik there to provide a huge amount of lore to the Protheans, Reapers, and Asari, without the Extended Cut to patch up that original ending, and without Citadel - arguably the best bit of content in the whole franchise - providing the perfect emotional closure to the whole saga.

And that's what makes me so angry. ME3's content is pretty much essential, yet there is over $50 worth of it out there because it never goes on sale. It sucks that such vital, informative, and pretty significant content isn't included in any package of the Mass Effect series, since it elevates the whole game dramatically and vastly improves the experience (for me personally).

I've purchased the game for two friends and both of them balk at the DLC prices and haven't played the series, because they are aware of how important the DLC actually is - and it definitely is important - yet it never goes on sale.

It's so essential and so good, I honestly can't imagine folks at Bioware themselves are happy that it isn't part of the core experience and that EA keeps it sectioned off and held at ransom.

While ME1 is most deserving of the "remaster" treatment, ME3 is by far most deserving and needing a "complete package" iteration.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Points are still a thing because the games they were made for are still around. To get rid of the points would require some significant retooling of the commerce systems that several games use which is unlikely to happen unless there are other incentives to update said games (e.g. re-releases).

As for why the point packs don't go on sale? Who knows.

Garlador

Points are still a thing because the games they were made for are still around. To get rid of the points would require some significant retooling of the commerce systems that several games use which is unlikely to happen unless there are other incentives to update said games (e.g. re-releases).

As for why the point packs don't go on sale? Who knows.

I have a pretty good guess...
giphy.gif

Top Bottom