• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exoprimal |OT| A Crisis of Dinosaurs

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Anyone figured out a good strat for Anklesaurus or whatever its called? I know you get belly crit damage when he's on his back but havent found anything else noteworthy yet.

EekTheKat

The Road to 100k dinos is insanely long. Doesn't help that I occasionally play healer at times too. going by my math I think I need about 350-400 matches to hit that mark.

Anyone figured out a good strat for Anklesaurus or whatever its called? I know you get belly crit damage when he's on his back but havent found anything else noteworthy yet.

Ankylosaur I think is still the stomach - but it's more exposed from the side, as a Deadeye using the cooldown reduction skill seems to hit for 10 on the stomach, but 5 everywhere else. The side profile of the Ankylo sort of exposes the stomach more than the others though. From the front the head oddly enough blocks the stomach from being hit too much.

Triceratops is the hind legs though.

Generally speaking yeah - attack from the side or from the rear as DPS. It's strangely enough sort of a general rule for a lot of MMO's back in the day.

I'm leveling my 3rd character now to a min of lvl 20. So far I've played Deadeye and Barage. Currently on Zephyr.
It's great that each suit plays very differently so far. I hear Zephyr is the most hated class, but it seems very fun so far with probably the biggest skill ceiling of the 3 I've played.

I'm working my way thru each type so will probably play support last.

Really liking the game and also that progression is fairly quick with somewhat fair rewards of coins to lvl up stuff or to buy unlocks
It's a great pick and play game if you don't know how much time you'll get to play. Matchmaking has been pretty fast ranging from being immediately matched to about a minute at most.

Big criticism for me is that it takes too long from there to the action once you are match made. The whole team face-off part taking too long.
More varied maps and objectives would be good too.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm leveling my 3rd character now to a min of lvl 20. So far I've played Deadeye and Barage. Currently on Zephyr.
It's great that each suit plays very differently so far. I hear Zephyr is the most hated class, but it seems very fun so far with probably the biggest skill ceiling of the 3 I've played.

I'm working my way thru each type so will probably play support last.

Really liking the game and also that progression is fairly quick with somewhat fair rewards of coins to lvl up stuff or to buy unlocks
It's a great pick and play game if you don't know how much time you'll get to play. Matchmaking has been pretty fast ranging from being immediately matched to about a minute at most.

Big criticism for me is that it takes too long from there to the action once you are match made. The whole team face-off part taking too long.
More varied maps and objectives would be good too.
I just started Zephyr and theyre awesome. More fun than I expected. You do have to take into account positioning more and you have by far the best movement speed. On zone control I can hop between spots super fast. Some fighters were chasing me so Id run away and lure them to a bridge then shoulder hit them off. Really need defensive or healing rig on at all times though.

I just started Zephyr and theyre awesome. More fun than I expected. You do have to take into account positioning more and you have by far the best movement speed. On zone control I can hop between spots super fast. Some fighters were chasing me so Id run away and lure them to a bridge then shoulder hit them off. Really need defensive or healing rig on at all times though.
For sure. Went with shield. I think once I got some modules unlocked, it'll be really good.
Only on lvl 3 rn

I cant quite figure out how to optimize rising kick.
There's a module for it that makes it better, but I don't think it's worth it. It's a good get off me move at least. I use it and then dash away sometimes.

I just unlocked the module that reduces cool downs if you do a perfect combo. So perfect melee combo and the linear strike will be my primary damage.
I saw there is a module that reduces cooldown on the rig, so once I get that unlocked, I wonder if I can keep the shield up almost continuously (fingers crossed).

Currently using the perfect combo, durability and the one that gives you overdrive quicker modules. Will probably try to get it to perfect combo, rig cooldown and not sure what to keep with the 3rd. I guess either the gain overdrive quicker or durability if the shield cooldown has gaps.

Need to test the other class specific modules when I get it unlocked, but wasn't that impressed with the description, but they could be good.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
There's a module for it that makes it better, but I don't think it's worth it. It's a good get off me move at least. I use it and then dash away sometimes.

I just unlocked the module that reduces cool downs if you do a perfect combo. So perfect melee combo and the linear strike will be my primary damage.
I saw there is a module that reduces cooldown on the rig, so once I get that unlocked, I wonder if I can keep the shield up almost continuously (fingers crossed).

Currently using the perfect combo, durability and the one that gives you overdrive quicker modules. Will probably try to get it to perfect combo, rig cooldown and not sure what to keep with the 3rd. I guess either the gain overdrive quicker or durability if the shield cooldown has gaps.

Need to test the other class specific modules when I get it unlocked, but wasn't that impressed with the description, but they could be good.
Yeah that's a cool idea for a set up. I got the module that enhances skyfall. Just realized after rising kick if you wait a full second they have a different landing slice. It doesnt seem that great.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I’ll try it tomorrow. I watched a stream of someone playing it. They failed a few times, but beat it eventually.
looks like you really need a good Roadblock or two
Its alright. Less than I expected. Its one mission thats up for 3 days. Beat it 4x. There are some tips for it but I'll let everyone try it and figure it out.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Is It me or has the game gained traction the last couple of days ?
There's LOTS of new, 1-10 lvl players, maybe the latest positive reviews and good word of mouth helped ?

The game has so much potential and with the whole "dimensions" thing future collaborations/crossovers could get crazy - there's already a Monster hunter one incoming but...just imagine a Lost Planet update/collaboration one where you get to pilot LP mechs with Leviathan spouting "Summoning Akrids"... chef's kiss.jpg !

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Is It me or has the game gained traction the last couple of days ?
There's LOTS of new, 1-10 lvl players, maybe the latest positive reviews and good word of mouth helped ?

The game has so much potential and with the whole "dimensions" thing future collaborations/crossovers could get crazy - there's already a Monster hunter one incoming but...just imagine a Lost Planet update/collaboration one where you get to pilot LP mechs with Leviathan spouting "Summoning Akrids"... chef's kiss.jpg !
I hope it gains some traction. It's hard to tell really. I did think of your post yesterday though as I had like 4 really rough games, so hopefully some of my teammates were new lol. I can't wait until I'm done leveling the DD classes. I've been in like 8 games where no one plays a healer. Will just be easier when I can go back to support or tanking. I prefer it anyway.

EekTheKat

I spoke too soon - I got the 100k it at 291 matches . Last few games were Savage Gauntlet mixed with one boss run where I went a little berserk and tried to end every dino I saw.

It was an insane amount of farming averaging 300-500 kills per match - going by the medal/award stats. Really wanted to get this done before the inevitable buff and nerf cycle that tends to come with GaaS games.

The new game mode is interesting - it's very cleverly designed to exploit people not paying attention, as quite a few people will chase the raptors at the start without going after the real targets - causing a significant time loss on the clock.

Play the goal, keep your back away from the water, and keep in mind how dangerous the Stegosaurus is. Not a lot of groups will have someone run off to deal with the Stego locking down your abilities.

edit - matches, not level.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I spoke too soon - I got the 100k it at 291. Last few games were Savage Gauntlet mixed with one boss run where I went a little berserk and tried to end every dino I saw.

It was an insane amount of farming averaging 300-500 kills per match - going by the medal/award stats. Really wanted to get this done before the inevitable buff and nerf cycle that tends to come with GaaS games.
Crazy, nicely done. I think I'm at 128 or so, and I play healer a lot. I'm screwed.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

It's time to hunt.

Yeah, this Is one of the cheapest, half-arsed and phoned- in modes I've ever played...
- reused area from main game
- only 3 waves of enemies
- 2000XP max if you win.

why should I be playing this mode from the moment the normal war games give you way more and it's also more fun ?

I don't get why they're even bothered tbh, I hope to god the incoming events or DLC are way much better than this...thing

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yeah, this Is one of the cheapest, half-arsed and phoned- in modes I've ever played...
- 2000XP max if you win.

why should I be playing this mode from the moment the normal war games give you way more and it's also more fun ?

I don't get why they're even bothered tbh, I hope to god the incoming events or DLC are way much better than this...thing
I expected something more unique, but it's pretty similar to Dino Survival. It is a bit more challenging so that was cool. I don't care too much about the xp after level 20 anyway.

I guess we'll see what the rewards are at the end of the event. I think my best time was 5 min 30 sec or something. You want to be in the top class at the end of the 3 days if possible. No idea what you get for it.

- 2000XP max if you win.

Unfortunately I have to agree. It feels like something they made to hold people over until their the DLC that contains new skins and those future maps. Hopefully they will make a new survey link for feedback.

Bridges

I haven't had the chance to play it yet, but what I'm hearing is a little disappointing. I was hoping for more missions like the final boss mission. Hopefully down the line they provide more intricate objectives like that

bender

What time is it?
Finally played some different classes the past few days. The Witchdoctor was fun but I generally like healers. I didn't care for Barrage but his ultimate ability onto the opposing teams transport is a good time. There is a lot to like about this game. The concept neat, especially when you get to the PVP portion of the matches, the classes seem to have a lot of variety and the controls are very tight. I do think the PVE portion of the game could use something to make it more interesting.

Finally played some different classes the past few days. The Witchdoctor was fun but I generally like healers. I didn't care for Barrage but his ultimate ability onto the opposing teams transport is a good time. There is a lot to like about this game. The concept neat, especially when you get to the PVP portion of the matches, the classes seem to have a lot of variety and the controls are very tight. I do think the PVE portion of the game could use something to make it more interesting.

10 new suits would provide for a lot of variety if they can nail down more and varied maps/modes as well. They could also add new Dino archetypes as well.

I would like to see a really big Raid like PvE mode that isn't just a race against another team. Maybe taking some inspiration from Destiny 2 raids which are really good gameplay wise.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

10 new suits would provide for a lot of variety if they can nail down more and varied maps/modes as well. They could also add new Dino archetypes as well.

I would like to see a really big Raid like PvE mode that isn't just a race against another team. Maybe taking some inspiration from Destiny 2 raids which are really good gameplay wise.

Have you finished the main story Timber ?
The game already has 3 PVE raids (10 players) and they're all awesome.

Anyway, played some more Savage gauntlet and...yep, it's still shit.
- Unbalanced
- gives this shitty and laggy MMO feeling where you suddenly lose huge chunks of health by "invisible", non telegraphed attacks
- Almost impossible to finish, most players just quit and you're left with bots.
- No new/mutated dinos
- Just 3, short waves
- Takes part in the Shittiest, smallest map of the game where you get get knocked out frequently out of bounds by said shitty laggy/non telegraphed attacks by the bigger dinos.

This is the most phoned-in mode I've ever played in an online game.No fun whatsoever.

Anyway... (pt2) :
After 85 games, I must say that the co-op aspects/parts of the game are indeed the best ones, there's just this undeniable cool factor when there's other 9 players fighting besides you in the ensuing fooking chaos the game throws at you, those 200/1000 raptors instances...with Big Dinos also appearing are just fantastic.

I was reading on reddit before the game's release on whether it should have been a purely co-op experience and I just dismissed it as the usual internet crying but...after 50 hours of playtime I think that I'll have to agree.
The game isn't "chill" anymore and has turned into the typical overwatch toxic fest with people not staying on/protecting the objective, people not giving a fuck at other player's ping spamming, whole teams consisting of 5 same characters etc etc, I think it's getting to the point where it'll stop being enjoyable with all the new players joining in - something which completely goes away when the game teams you up with other high lvl players that know what to do.

Anyway...(pt3)
The game is still fun and has a very good foundation for becoming something much, much better that it is at this state, the potential is definitely there and I'm glad that the game has started gaining traction.

It's funny actually, since I don't have an Xbox (and therefore GP), I actually chose this instead of FF16 and paid for it , a game that had no reviews for the first 5 days it came out and the few that were out there kept shitting on it (like most peeps in here that tried it for 5 minutes or haven't even tried it due to having to create a Capcom ID) and yet...it's one of the most fun games I've played in the last few months, even If i stopped playing now I already had my money's worth.

Let's hope they actually support the game and not let it die in a couple. of months

Last edited:
Anyway...(pt3)
The game is still fun and has a very good foundation for becoming something much, much better that it is at this state, the potential is definitely there and I'm glad that the game has started gaining traction.

It's funny actually, since I don't have an Xbox (and therefore GP), I actually chose this instead of FF16 and paid for it , a game that had no reviews for the first 5 days it came out and the few that were out there kept shitting on it (like most peeps in here that tried it for 5 minutes or haven't even tried it due to having to create a Capcom ID) and yet...it's one of the most fun games I've played in the last few months, even If i stopped playing now I already had my money's worth.

Let's hope they actually support the game and not let it die in a couple. of months
I agree that people need to give this a real shot before pooping on it for being on GamePass. It would've actually been great if it was also on PS+ or even better a f2p game, but it is what it is.
I'll play it at least til I get all the exosuits to lvl 20 and maybe even more if they keep realeasing suits and content.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
OK, this game is far better than it initially makes out...or I dunno. I'm kinda hooked after ff xvi.

Do I just keep clicking play and will new scenarios and pve events happen etc? I feel like I'm doing the same stuff, but now after like 20 matches in I'm getting new dinos and stuff.

It just feels really great, I can't put it down. A guilty pleasure for sure.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
That's probably going to be me for when I first play as a tank :(
It's not a role I ever really choose in games. Like in Overwatch I never play as a tank
Well some free tips for Roadblock, some were explained to me on here. R1 is taunt. You aim it at enemies until you see the blue line point at you then you have their attention. Then block and your team can take on damage dealing. T Rex has some unblockable attacks with a large telegraph roar. Dash instead of sitting there then taunt again. Triceatops you can block a charge head on to mess them up.

On most small enemy waves dont even both tanking too much and just punch. When the waves get overwhelming, taunt a bunch and block until you get a new shield animation then do the push.
Thats it.

OK, this game is far better than it initially makes out...or I dunno. I'm kinda hooked after ff xvi.

Do I just keep clicking play and will new scenarios and pve events happen etc? I feel like I'm doing the same stuff, but now after like 20 matches in I'm getting new dinos and stuff.

Yep it just rotates new areas in over time at random, some tied to story progression.

I'm rethinking using that cooldown attack module for Zephyr because it seems I'm just left more open with it. Unless the rig cooldown does keep my shield on most of the time at least.
That and my timing with it is terrible. Also, if you don't hit something with that 3rd timed hit in the combo, it doesn't trigger a cooldown buff.

The big negative with the other attack melee module is that you lose the wave effect on your attack probably limiting the range a little. A big positive is the +60% to your basic attack, so it still might be worth it.
Again, if the rig cooldown module can keep my shield up, that could also be really good.

Edit: Zephyr is great at assasinating the opposing team. Was wrecking the tanks and healers pretty easily

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Zephyr is fun but he's just too weak. Needs a buff for sure. Has less health than Nimbus but you can only attack at point blank range. I'm at 13. Will be glad to bit 20 and play something else. The other classes just have so many more advantages.

twilo99

I think any game that feel like an arcade has the potential to sneak up on you like that…

Zephyr is fun but he's just too weak. Needs a buff for sure. Has less health than Nimbus but you can only attack at point blank range. I'm at 13. Will be glad to bit 20 and play something else. The other classes just have so many more advantages.
Have you unlocked the rig cooldown module yet?
My theory build is to use that to keep your survivability at a max.

He can also be good with a good healer too. There was quite a few matches where I went unkillable because I had a healer pocketing me. Let me just wreck mayhem on the dino including the miniboss ones like.

That said, I do like Deadeye and Barrage a lot even though they are more braindead than Zephyr. I'm dreading getting that Sniper exo to lvl 20 because I'm a shit sniper in every game....lol
Although I've improved a lot in Halo Infinite

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Have you unlocked the rig cooldown module yet?
My theory build is to use that to keep your survivability at a max.

He can also be good with a good healer too. There was quite a few matches where I went unkillable because I had a healer pocketing me. Let me just wreck mayhem on the dino including the miniboss ones like.

That said, I do like Deadeye and Barrage a lot even though they are more braindead than Zephyr. I'm dreading getting that Sniper exo to lvl 20 because I'm a shit sniper in every game....lol
Sniper I'm definitely doing last. I enjoy playing Zephyr. He's fun. But some of the other classes just blow it away. I think I do more damage with Murasame while tanking a trex and keeping it fully off my team with no heals. He needs something more. At the very least he needs like 100 more HP.

Sniper I'm definitely doing last. I enjoy playing Zephyr. He's fun. But some of the other classes just blow it away. I think I do more damage with Murasame while tanking a trex and keeping it fully off my team with no heals. He needs something more. At the very least he needs like 100 more HP.
There's supposed to be alpha variants of each suit. Maybe the variant will have something that makes him better.
It could also be that he's really built for PvP. Although I don't change suits mid-match, it's supposedly encouraged without a cooldown, load screen and also while keeping your ult/overdrive percentage intact.

I'm not proficient enough to do any of that, but I do hear on comms people getting pissed when a healer changes classes....lol

Punished Miku

Gold Member
There's supposed to be alpha variants of each suit. Maybe the variant will have something that makes him better.
It could also be that he's really built for PvP. Although I don't change suits mid-match, it's supposedly encouraged without a cooldown, load screen and also while keeping your ult/overdrive percentage intact.

I'm not proficient enough to do any of that, but I do hear on comms people getting pissed when a healer changes classes....lol
There's an achievement for changing 5x in a match and winning. Do it on a large PvE with 10 people. I usually change to Roadblock at the end of Omega Hammer runs. Sometimes it can work well. But yeah, interesting idea.

You can also change rigs easily without much delay.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Zephyr is done.

Barrage is so insanely good its not even funny. Already on level 8. Just insane attack and crowd control power. And 500 HP. You almost never die and always get MVP. My favorite assault class for sure.

bender

What time is it?
Zephyr is done.

Barrage is so insanely good its not even funny. Already on level 8. Just insane attack and crowd control power. And 500 HP. You almost never die and always get MVP. My favorite assault class for sure.

Got the 1,000 kills achievement with Barrage yesterday. I need to watch some videos as I wasn't having a good time until a nuked a data cube with four enemies on it.

Did 1,000 Kills on Zephyr today. Probably my least favorite class so far.

I did get matched into a new game mode today that had a lot of exposition. You had to charge up a hammer and pound nodes to advance. The pacing was pretty awful for the first half of the match but I did enjoy the dino onslaught from the bridge at the end of that section as it gave some series EDF vibes. I got my first MVP because I grabbed the hammer, figured that was a good role for the melee class.

I still think my favorites are Deadeye and Witchdoctor.

The repetition of the game is starting to set in a little and I really haven't played all that much (Player Level 15, Deadeye 6, Zephyr 5, Barrage 5, Witchdoctor 2).

Zephyr is done.

Wait til you get the reload dodge module. Never have to reload because the cooldown at max module lvl is less than you can fire 6 default ammo. I used that along with Lingering module and impact module.
No need for the 8 shot module with the reload module too.

KAOS

Some themes...
ftLdg4W.jpg

BRkZANB.jpg

RbYJkr7.jpg

mSUWpUI.jpg

6HQBad7.jpg

I'm dreading getting that Sniper exo to lvl 20 because I'm a shit sniper in every game....lol
Sniper I'm definitely doing last.
Imagine using Widowmaker from Overwatch or that one huge charging beam sniper rifle from Halo infinite, but every target is as big as a tank(or larger) and your sniper shot hitbox is larger than Hanzo’s arrow(also from Overwatch).

It’s a very fun sniper class is what I’m basically saying lol. It has amazing crit shots, an ice freeze skill(for escaping), a high jump with additional hover/glide in the air, a special beam shot skill that clears an entire row of Dinos(and has a knockdown chance for the bigger ones), and the ultimate is 100% crit shots with slight stopping power. And finally, you can shoot so far away that Dinos will rarely aggro you so you’re almost essentially playing a shooting gallery(just be sure to charge each scoped shot to 100% before shooting). The most pressure I’ve ever had was when the game was wanting me to reach a specific Dino target and the target was behind a corner, but the path in front of us to get around the corner is filled with dinosaurs.

It’s the most fun I’ve had with a sniper rifle in video games from the past few years, and I feel like with an added slide move or crouch skill, this character could have had their own video game as a stealth action sniper protagonist.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Imagine using Widowmaker from Overwatch or that one huge charging beam sniper rifle from Halo infinite, but every target is as big as a tank(or larger) and your sniper shot hitbox is larger than Hanzo’s arrow(also from Overwatch).

It’s a very fun sniper class is what I’m basically saying lol. It has amazing crit shots, an ice freeze skill(for escaping), a high jump with additional hover/glide in the air, a special beam shot skill that clears an entire row of Dinos(and has a knockdown chance for the bigger ones), and the ultimate is 100% crit shots with slight stopping power. And finally, you can shoot so far away that Dinos will rarely aggro you so you’re almost essentially playing a shooting gallery(just be sure to charge each scoped shot to 100% before shooting). The most pressure I’ve ever had was when the game was wanting me to reach a specific Dino target and the target was behind a corner, but the path in front of us to get around the corner is filled with dinosaurs.

It’s the most fun I’ve had with a sniper rifle in video games from the past few years, and I feel like with an added slide move or crouch skill, this character could have had their own video game as a stealth action sniper protagonist.
Barrage at 20. Starting sniper now! Hope I like it too.

Top Bottom