• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AV Receivers and Lip Sync Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought my first-ever receiver, the Onkyo TX-NR646, and I'm baffled by the lip sync issues I'm having. I didn't read about this being a problem prior to buying it, and I'm wondering if it isn't something I'm doing wrong. Strangely, running YouTube sync tests show no problems whatsoever, but I swear I can sense some delay when watching movies via Blu Ray and various streaming services.

I know you can adjust the receiver's timing manually, but is it normal to have to do that? I feel like that'd make certain games more difficult to play or something.

If it helps, I'm using passive bookshelf speakers and everything is connected via HDMI.

RenditMan

Banned
Lip sync shouldn't be an issue over hdmi due to the sync signal that should be present in the data. Is hdmi control enabled?

Optical can be prone to syncing issues.

Lip sync shouldn't be an issue over hdmi due to the sync signal that should be present in the data. Is hdmi control enabled?

I'm not sure what HDMI control is! There's no optical anywhere in my setup: bookshelf speakers are connected via speaker wire, and everything else is HDMI.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm not sure what HDMI control is! There's no optical anywhere in my setup: bookshelf speakers are connected via speaker wire, and everything else is HDMI.

There's likely a delay being introduced by image processing from the blu ray to the receiver then back to the tv

Make sure your tv is set to game mode and see if thT helps, then plow through the input output options for those HDMI ports on your tv.

Try going direct to tv for a minute, bypassing the receiver- if there's no lag then at least you know it's a receiver issue

Jezbollah

It shouldnt be an issue - but can be. I used to use a Sony HT-XT3 and it had chronic lip sync issues over HDMI and Optical. It was down to a chronic product issue that meant that it couldnt even be fixed either by replacement (as it was also affected) or firmware update.

OP, HDMI Control is otherwise known as CEC. If you really want to eliminate it from being a potential cause of the issue you can buy a small attachment that strips it from the HDMI signal, although this was one of the things I tried with the Sony and it didnt fix it.

Another thing to try would be to connect via male to male 2.5" minijack and try analogue to see if there is any differences. I found this helped while i looked around for a replacement for the XT3.

there are some tools to better synchronize the audio and video signals. Go into the SETUP menu of the receiver and scroll down to HARDWARE SETUP and press the ENTER button. Now scroll down to HDMI and press ENTER again. Now scroll to LIP SYNC and enable this feature by pressing the directional arrows to ENABLE this feature. Press the SETUP button to fully exit the menu. This should help automatically sync the signals together; as it gradually learns and makes adjustments to the synchronization.

If you notice you will still need to some further adjustments, press the SETUP button and go to the SOURCE SETUP option and press ENTER. Now scroll down to A/V SYNC and press ENTER again. Now you will be able to make incremental adjustments to the signals to manually synchronize it.

There's likely a delay being introduced by image processing from the blu ray to the receiver then back to the tv

Make sure your tv is set to game mode and see if thT helps, then plow through the input output options for those HDMI ports on your tv.

Try going direct to tv for a minute, bypassing the receiver- if there's no lag then at least you know it's a receiver issue

I just checked, and my TV is set to "Game-Standard" (Sony TV; not 4K). I've been going back and forth and I'm having an extremely hard time discerning a difference. In that same audio sync test, for example, the timing seems *exactly* the same...

It shouldnt be an issue - but can be. I used to use a Sony HT-XT3 and it had chronic lip sync issues over HDMI and Optical. It was down to a chronic product issue that meant that it couldnt even be fixed either by replacement (as it was also affected) or firmware update.

OP, HDMI Control is otherwise known as CEC. If you really want to eliminate it from being a potential cause of the issue you can buy a small attachment that strips it from the HDMI signal, although this was one of the things I tried with the Sony and it didnt fix it.

Another thing to try would be to connect via male to male 2.5" minijack and try analogue to see if there is any differences. I found this helped while i looked around for a replacement for the XT3.

Mine is an extremely popular receiver with tons of reviews (I read way too many before making my purchase), and I never saw anyone mention this delay as an issue. There has to be something I'm doing wrong!

I'd assume this was all in my head if my friend didn't notice it. He works in video production, so I trust his judgment.

there are some tools to better synchronize the audio and video signals. Go into the SETUP menu of the receiver and scroll down to HARDWARE SETUP and press the ENTER button. Now scroll down to HDMI and press ENTER again. Now scroll to LIP SYNC and enable this feature by pressing the directional arrows to ENABLE this feature. Press the SETUP button to fully exit the menu. This should help automatically sync the signals together; as it gradually learns and makes adjustments to the synchronization.

If you notice you will still need to some further adjustments, press the SETUP button and go to the SOURCE SETUP option and press ENTER. Now scroll down to A/V SYNC and press ENTER again. Now you will be able to make incremental adjustments to the signals to manually synchronize it.

I had no idea those options existed! It was already set to ON, but I'm going to see if turning it off makes any difference.

EDIT: It isn't making a discernible difference either way. And on my receiver, I don't see that menu that allows for incremental adjustments...

I have the same receiver and I don't have any issues with this. Have you updated your firmware to the latest?

EDIT - Also, just to be clear: You have all your devices plugged into the receiver via HDMI, and only one HDMI cable from the receiver plugged into the TV, right?

I have the same receiver and I don't have any issues with this. Have you updated your firmware to the latest?

EDIT - Also, just to be clear: You have all your devices plugged into the receiver via HDMI, and only one HDMI cable from the receiver plugged into the TV, right?

The firmware is up to date, and everything is connected via HDMI.

I just found the first case where I can tell, more-or-less definitively, when the audio is coming in more slowly through my receiver than through my TV. I've been playing a certain scene from the final episode of the Sopranos via HBO GO (through my PS4--Bitstream Dolby) in which someone is shot, and I think my receiver is a little behind.

I just found the first case where I can tell, more-or-less definitively, when the audio is coming in more slowly through my receiver than through my TV. I've been playing a certain scene from the final episode of the Sopranos via HBO GO (through my PS4--Bitstream Dolby) in which someone is shot, and I think my receiver is a little behind.

All I can do is suggest things for you to test:

Do you have another device with HBO Go that could play the same section and compare?

What happens if you set the PS4 to PCM out instead of Bitstream? Still a delay?

All I can do is suggest things for you to test:

Do you have another device with HBO Go that could play the same section and compare?

What happens if you set the PS4 to PCM out instead of Bitstream? Still a delay?

I might just be driving myself crazy at this point, but I *think* it's better via PCM? But the problem with that setting is that it doesn't consistently pick up menu selection noises and such. Like, if no sound comes through the speakers for a few seconds, I'll have to move the d-pad a few times before those sound indicators start being audible again. It's fine if there's consistent audio playing music or through a movie, however. One of the Onkyo support people walked me through this issues, suggesting I use Bitstream over Linear PCM for this reason. Do you have that problem?

Edit: I think the PCM/Bitstream differences might just be in my head. I'm watching another scene with gunshots and it seems fine. :(

Phreak47

Best way to gauge sync is to watch something like standup comedy, where you can constantly watch someone speak.

I have the TX-NR626 and though I have the stupid HDCP problem (converter should arrive tomorrow) it didn't appear I had audio issues, though I hardly tested it. Have it shut down till the converter gets here.

Best way to gauge sync is to watch something like standup comedy, where you can constantly watch someone speak.

I have the TX-NR626 and though I have the stupid HDCP problem (converter should arrive tomorrow) it didn't appear I had audio issues, though I hardly tested it. Have it shut down till the converter gets here.

I did, and now I'm having a hard time seeing a problem. I'm going to sleep on it, as I've been looking so closely today that I'm losing perspective on what's right and what isn't!

HDMI CEC has nothing to do with lip-sync.

Many, many HDMI devices do not properly support auto lip-sync. In these situations, you set the audio delay yourself. Pretty much all A/V receivers let you manually set the audio delay. The trick is to find the amount of lag your TV has, if it's a widely-reviewed model you should be able to look up the measured lag in a review. If not, well you get to measure it yourself. Once you know your TV's lag, you put that value as the audio delay in your receiver, and your video and audio will be in sync.

Phreak47

I did, and now I'm having a hard time seeing a problem. I'm going to sleep on it, as I've been looking so closely today that I'm losing perspective on what's right and what isn't!

You're probably fine. I tripped out for similar reasons watching a hockey game on the pro, till i realized that there's always a delay in the ambient rink/crowd sounds. If there's a real problem, you wouldn't need more than 3 seconds to be sure of it when watching people speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom