• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Xenoblade Chronicles; I’m feeling it!

This thread is a direct sequel to this other thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1326554

Playing Xenoblade right now is a good change of pace since I recently played Persona 5 for 170+ hours and I’ve been playing Souls games one after another since 2011, I believe. No more castles and dungeons and dragons nor urban fantasy either, let’s go to the future this time. I don’t mind spoilers usually, except when I do, so maybe tag your spoilers? I’m not going to do that though, since I’m kind of describing my experiences with the game.

At first, I was greeted by an amazing intro: 2 Titans –the Mechonis and the Bionis- (maybe gods) have been fighting each other since they appeared in this world/universe until they somehow stopped… it reminded me of certain comic book crossover: Marvel vs DC (I’m showing my age here). Several centuries later, mechanical things are still fighting living organisms and it’s time for the tutorial! I’m not controlling the main character but this 30 something year old man that everyone calls Dumbass (probably because he goes to fight the mechons without any protection like the rest of the soldiers); the game introduces Dumbass and his fighting buddies in a cutscene: Wiser and older Axel Rose and this evil-looking guy who the game wants me to believe that died but that I don’t believe so because like Dumbass and wiser and older Axel Rose, he has a special design too, so he’s important; also this guy uses claws to fight… something very important to keep in mind (Isn’t it dumb that I already figured out a character that “died” is going to be important because he doesn’t wear npc clothes? The only game that I can think of right now where all characters dress like common soldiers at the beginning is Suikoden IV… even though the game is awful, at least they did that right), alternatively: maybe the game doesn’t even want to try to hide that there’s something going on with this guy.

Anyways, the tutorial is pretty annoying: they over explain simple functions like how to start a fight and by the end of each tutorial message I’m so annoyed I already forgot what they were trying to explain to me. I got super frustrated that I can’t control my character directly and Dumbass attacks automatically with only the ability to move a little and change targets. The tutorial is over and they want me to believe that Dumbass and wiser and older Axel Rose died. One year later into the game story and now I’m controlling this “hot” blond guy that I thought was the son of older and wiser Axel Rose (I was wrong, though). I get to fight some monsters in the starting area and a friend joined me… Reyn? iirc, this guy, I think I’ve heard his voice before… is the actor the same guy that made the voice of Psycko (or whatever he’s called) in Crysis and Creighton the Wanderer in Dark Souls II? Well, I hate his voice already, it must be him. Shulk and Reyn go back to Colony 9. Reyn has to go back to his duties as another soldier who doesn’t look like a soldier and I get to explore the starting area… I see this game is going to trigger my OCD: tons of shiny things outside and several “quests” consisting of going out, kill 2 bunnies, etc.… perfect for an MMORPG (sigh), but the battle system finally made sense: it’s Contact all over again, now I’m feeling it! (Contact is a game developed by Grasshopper for the Nintendo DS, its battle system is pretty similar to Xenoblade’s: you enter a battle stance and the character attacks automatically and you control what special attack to use and when I want to execute it. Also, the game is quite funny and very Earthbound-like; I love it, even though I had to restart the game twice because I wasn’t enjoying it at the beginning). I also got beaten by a lizard-like thing while exploring at night and I learn two things: 1) different monsters appear at different times of the day and 2) once I get my ass kicked I don’t lose progress in the story. That’s neat, actually.

It took me three nights in-game to just explore the starting area, the commercial and residential districts; I accept quests like a mad man but I finally head to where the story wants me to go and I finally discover that wiser and older Axel Rose and Dumbass are still alive, although Dumbass is in pretty bad shape because his sword, the “Monado”, a very powerful weapon that kind of act by its own almost killed him too after the tutorial ended. I got told to go outside because I’m so pale, and now I’m controlling a teen female character: Fiora. My first task as Fiora is super progressive: go and deliver the lunch to Shulk, she’s obviously not good at it either since when I finally meet Shulk is nighttime already “enjoy your lunch Shulk”. Then we go back to the military district because the pieces of the Bionis’ armor are falling from the sky… did I mention we are living in the Titan now? that’s awesome. Back in the lab where Shulk works for the military (even though he doesn’t look like it either) I witness how stupid Reyn is because he tries to hold the Monado that almost killed Dumbass and he almost kill Fiora with it. Shulk decides to accompany Reyn to a cave where he can get fuel for a mecha that an idiot crashed into a house… they depart only after Reyn promises to Fiora that he’ll protect Shulk from danger because apparently Fiora is too worried that Shulk is going to scratch his nails or something. When we finally reach the entrance of the dungeon, we find Fiora there because she’s more intelligent than us and used the in-game system to warp to a landmark (a very convenient way to fast travel once you discover a landmark) while we just walked. She also delivered the containers for the fuel that we forgot in the lab; yes, it made me facepalm in real life too. We explore the dungeon and get beaten by a big caterpillar three times because I don’t understand how I can coordinate my team special attacks using the three characters. Fuck this, I don’t need it, let’s get going to complete this story quest.

And after we got the fuel, Colony 9 is being attacked by a gigantic float of mechons, one of them looks different than the others: it has a face. The party goes to the military HQ and in their way you see how humans… I mean “Hums” get obliterated by the mechons (they eat them apparently), you also see the military getting annihilated by the enemies as well, you have to go and get that mecha that’s laying in the residential district if you hope to fight back. We get separated: Fiora goes for the mecha and we promise to meet her at the other side… somehow. In our way there we meet Dumbass, who’s using the Monado again (because the Monado is super effective against mechons and harmless to humans), but he’s not in good shape and he can’t resist the power of the Monado any longer so he drops it… and Shulk saves the day when we find out he can use the Monado as well and can see the future thanks to it (which is a big deal in the game). Shulk is learning how to use the powers of the Monado but he’s doing well fighting the mechons until the group meets that enemy that has a face… and fight with claws (like certain character that supposedly died), also the Monado doesn’t work that well with him either… I don’t know Monolith… perhaps the Monado doesn’t work because those mechons with faces were humans once? Why do you look at me like that, did I ruin the surprise? Anyways, the game asks me to do successive special attacks using my current party, yeah, that mechanic I didn’t understand how to use in the last dungeon... Still, finally learned what it was about this time and successfully fight against that mechon-hum hybrid only interrupted by some cutscenes: one of them shows me Fiora will die when she fights against evil-looking-guy-that-fight-using-claws, and then she actually comes and saves us using the mecha to fight the mechon with face and she is killed as we saw in Shulk’s vision. The attack is called off and the mechon that totally isn’t the evil looking guy from the past goes away. We see some final cutscenes in which Shulk promises he’ll get revenge for Fiora’s death… yes, the death of that character that blond guy didn’t know he loved until she gets killed by the bad guy (I wonder where I’ve seen that before).

And then it’s finally time to depart your hometown. At that point the game asks me if I want to save the game. I say yes and realized I’ve played the game for 5:30 hours. And that’s the end of my first gaming session with Xenoblade Chronicles. Right now I’m 14:30 hours into the game so, expect more comments soon. But now I wonder: How much time will it take you to beat this game? I’m just curious since I already feel I’ve spent too much time doing sidequests.

mrmickfran

The greatest JRPG of all time.

Have a blast, OP

But now I wonder: How much time will it take you to beat this game?

My first playthough was 95 hours doing a lot of exploring and not many sidequests. My second playthrough I did all sidequests and explored everything. I clocked in at 125 hours.

ReyVGM

T I’m just curious since I already feel I’ve spent too much time doing sidequests.

Don't try completing all the sidequests or you'll burn out. There are too many and some are time sensitive, so if you focus on completing them, you'll go crazy when they disappear.

Just follow the story while completing some sidequests when you don't feel like advancing the story.

Yarbskoo

My first playthough was 95 hours doing a lot of exploring and not many sidequests. My second playthrough I did all sidequests and explored everything. I clocked in at 125 hours.

I had 180 hours on mine. Only played once. Didn't even get close to 100%.

big_erk

This game is screaming for a Switch release. I really want to play it again but didn't want to do so on 3ds.

Crayolan

I finished the game at around 70 hours, doing only the sidequests which were on my way to the main objective, but also thoroughly exploring every area for secrets. If you obsessively complete as many as you can you'll probably go well over 100 hours.

The greatest JRPG of all time.

Have a blast, OP

My first playthrough, ignoring most of the sidequests, took me about 55 hours. It's definitely beatable in 50-60 hours

KahooTs

Don't go out to specifically do killathon/collectathon side quests, just get the quests as you come by them in the hubs and as you progress you'll naturally happen by the enemies/items/places of those quests. There are some meatier side quests with some story, those you can go do specifically. If you do the side quests you'll outlevel the story progression content and the excellent combat will become boring for lack of challenge. In the end I stopped doing side quests.

Game is too long and story too generic for this sort of thing, everything else was pretty stellar.

jonjonaug

The length of Xenoblade games are "it depends".

Xenoblade Chronicles has about 50-65 hours of main story content and about 30-50 hours of side questing and exploration content. There's also a bunch of enemies near the end of the game with a higher level than the final boss that can be fun to figure out how to beat. Then there's filling out everyone's affection meter, filling out the collectapedia, completing the Colony 6 building, and so on. If you want to just finish the game it'll probably take around 70-80 hours, if you want to do mostly everything (filling out the affinity chart and completing all the interesting sidequests) it'll probably take around 100-110 hours. I think my first playthrough took around 120 hours and I did everything except fill out the collectapedia and kill the last couple bosses that broke the level limit.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is even more lopsided. The main story can be completed in about 50 hours maybe if you rush through everything and get the story missions over as soon as possible, but this will leave you woefully underleveled and unprepared for many of the story encounters. The real strength of XenoX is the exploration and side content anyway, and there's so much of this that finishing the game can take over 150 hours. It'll probably take around 70 hours to clear the main game and 150-180 hours to do mostly everything, by which I mean filling in every map segment plus the stuff related to the four extra party members who don't count for that. If you REALLY want to go for total 100% completion (achievements and all tyrants killed) this can take about 300 or so hours. It took me 178 hours to get 100% map completion on my first playthrough which is a "basic" 100% clear, ignoring all the achievements which are basically just a big grind.

This game is screaming for a Switch release. I really want to play it again but didn't want to do so on 3ds.

I don't know about that... The game looks pretty horrible to be quite honest. Someone told me the best way to play it was using the gamepad and when I saw the first cutscene with human characters in it, I understood why. The lower resolution of the gamepad made the game look less ugly.

What time is it, OP?

Time to go back and play it again, I guess. D:

kiuo

I clocked in at around 230hrs. Only did one play through, so I tried doing everything I could. Spent a lot of time on the post game content, that was tiring but fun.

Anteo

I see you are trying too read a lot into the little info the game has given you.
Actually.. there are many little clues about how the story will develop, some of those clues are imposible to get on your first playthrough.

My first time was around 60 hours iirc. There are many side quest but hardly any is necesary. In the late game you may want to hunt around some monster for rare drops but even that is not necesary

Edit:

Time to go back and play it again, I guess. D:

Wrong,
its Reyn time.

jb1234

I really loved the game, especially its art direction. So many amazing locations. It took me 83 hours to beat, the 2nd longest JRPG I've played.

Yarbskoo

I don't know about that... The game looks pretty horrible to be quite honest. Someone told me the best way to play it was using the gamepad and when I saw the first cutscene with human characters in it, I understood why. The lower resolution of the gamepad made the game look less ugly.

Nah, the character models look bad at any resolution, the aliasing just makes everything look even uglier.

A higher resolution combined with some LOD tweaks would really improve the overall experience when exploring the world.
31394416062_1df759f291_o.png
31395592622_2b767e1a6d_o.png

EhoaVash

avoid doing most of the side quests, but do take quests offers from people, usually when you're grinding, or killing monsters you'll automitcally complete these quests without even thinking you're doing side quests and just reep the rewards automatically.

ngower

I played the first ten or so hours of the n3DS and got into it real quick, but shelved it when things got a little hectic. Been eyeing a sale ever since but that game just refuses to drop in price.

Pyrokai

I recently got this game for 3DS. Originally was playing on Wii when it first came out, but only for about 10 hours. I'd like to start it over on a portable :)

Thoraxes

Nah, the character models look bad at any resolution, the aliasing just makes everything look even uglier.

A higher resolution combined with some LOD tweaks would really improve the overall experience when exploring the world.

There's a good hi-res texture pack out there that definitely helped smooth things too when I played my copy using Dolphin.

Hey, I just recently started playing through this too! Got done with the intro part you described in the OP and now heading to I think Colony 6 on the Bionis "leg".

I have a question for seasoned players: Is there a consensus on the best character to play as for combat? Or character most fun to play as? Right now I've just been playing as Shulk the whole time but I feel like I might be missing out if I don't switch it up often.

Hey, I just recently started playing through this too! Got done with the intro part you described in the OP and now heading to I think Colony 6 on the Bionis "leg".

I have a question for seasoned players: Is there a consensus on the best character to play as for combat? Or character most fun to play as? Right now I've just been playing as Shulk the whole time but I feel like I might be missing out if I don't switch it up often.
Dunban was the character that made the combat click with me the most. Just a really fun samurai with lots of power. His move set was satisfying to use and he had good battle cries. Played through almost the entire game as him.

Anteo

For the most part you can play as you like, you shouldnt have problems. There is one character that generally underperforms when they are on the party (but its great for beginners) and another that has a shit AI, so you want to use them yourself or not use them at all.

sublimit

Banned
I spent 300 hours in this game trying to do and complete as much as possible without the help of a guide and i wish i could play it again for the first time.

kiaaa

I tried playing it again a month ago with all the bells and whistles on Dolphin, but I just couldn't get into it. Combat is slow and the amount of sidequests they throw at you right in the beginning reminded me of the real slog they become later.

I really enjoyed it the first time through, but I can't get over the problematic parts enough to replay it.

I have two playthroughs where I did almost everything and they both are between 170-180 hrs.

Top 3 game of all time for me (Persona 4 and Shadow Hearts Covenant fill the other slots).

massoluk

Banned
Yeah, it took me about 160 hrs, what a damn fine experience, and I never really felt it was bloated, amazing for 100+ hrs game

plufim

The greatest part of either Xenoblade is discovery. Don't look up what the future areas look like OP, there's so much for you to find, and the surprise us a big part of the joy.

Heck, you haven't even reached Guar Plains. The first time you reach that place is goddam magical.

If they did a Switch release maybe it could be justified if they added new content. There was an almost complete cut area that could easily be woven into the story (for non OP, there's videos on youtube).

I want to say my first play-through took about 65 Hrs with doing most side quests (but not going out of my way to do them unless I felt like it). I never felt like the game dragged for me, but I didn't actively go for 100% or all side quest completion so my thoughts could easily be different if I tried that. I definitely think this game is one of my favorite JRPGs, if not my favorite game of all time.

aravuus

I still massively dislike some of the main characters and
the love triangle
, while pretty minor, is still frustrating as fuck, which pretty much ruin the story for me. But yeah, the actual game is a lot of fun. I should replay it soon.

What a joker.

Can't hate him for clearly intentionally ignoring an awful Xenoblade meme

Icolin

Banned
Great great game, and easily some of the most fun I had last generation. Don't rush through it, savour every moment of this incredible game, OP.

Listen to your instincts when it comes to sidequests - if you force yourself to do them when you're not enjoying it you may end up losing your head and finding yourself in a world of strife. Personally I always found the time for them as they often led to interesting enemies, beautiful views and places I'd otherwise have missed.

This has got to be one of the best JRPGs of all time. It's been years that I finished it and I remember it incredibly fondly. Insanely memorable game with the most impressive visuals I have ever seen (on Dolphin in 1080p tbf).

Amazing fucking game. I honestly can't think of a better JRPG, only some that are similarly good tops. Persona 3 and 4 being among them but you know them already.

Strings

Semi-unrelated, but does anyone know who handled the cutscene direction in this game? Some of them are phenomenal, and kinda remind me of Vagrant Story (in terms of being years ahead of the competition).

Would love to check out more of their work.

jonjonaug

Semi-unrelated, but does anyone know who handled the cutscene direction in this game? Some of them are phenomenal, and kinda remind me of Vagrant Story (in terms of being years ahead of the competition).

Would love to check out more of their work.

The end credits say it was Norihiro Takami (Xenosaga, Baten Kaitos, Chrono Cross, and Parasite Eve) and Mamoru Ohta (Sonic 2006/Unleashed/Colors/Generations and Xenoblade X).

This company also helped out: http://www.qreazy.com/en/company.html

Top Bottom