• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Xenoblade Chronicles; I’m feeling it!

Peltz

I'm not usually one for RPGs or long games, but Xenoblade was something special that captivated me completely. It slightly overstayed its welcome, but remained an utterly amazing game throughout. Enjoy the ride, OP!

Nah, the character models look bad at any resolution, the aliasing just makes everything look even uglier.

A higher resolution combined with some LOD tweaks would really improve the overall experience when exploring the world.

The game looks good on a CRT.

I love Reyn's voice. You're probably not used to British accents.

British accents are sexy, it's just this guy's voice: I really hated him in Crysis, I didn't mind him much in DSII because Craighton the Wanderer doesn't speak much. Also, pretty sure this new character I've seen in a cutscene recently -This guy that sent a Telethia at the end of the events in the mine- is voiced too by another actor that worked in the Dark Souls trilogy.

Strings

The end credits say it was Norihiro Takami (Xenosaga, Baten Kaitos, Chrono Cross, and Parasite Eve) and Mamoru Ohta (Sonic 2006/Unleashed/Colors/Generations and Xenoblade X).

This company also helped out: http://www.qreazy.com/en/company.html

Cheers!

Mamoru Ohta (Sonic 2006/Unleashed/Colors/Generations and Xenoblade X).

Oh boy, what a resume. Suddenly the pretty awful XCX cutscenes make a lot more sense. Granted, he was only one of three directors on that.

Norihiro Takami (Xenosaga, Baten Kaitos, Chrono Cross, and Parasite Eve)

Oh boy, what a resume. Just an art credit on XCX though. Hopefully back on board with Monolith's Switch game.

Scoops

Banned
I never finished it,
got stuck at the level 75 boss
, but what I did play was among one of the best games ever.

wtd2009

I've been saving this one, I'm going to get some other jrpgs first because I am predicting that few will hold up free playing xenoblade. Glad you're enjoying it.

zigg

I've been playing the 3DS version on the bus and it's been a lot of fun, but I wish I had more pixels on the screen. I'd probably be in for a Switch VC release

Tyaren

My favorite JRPG of all time, the best JRPG of the last console generation...and this one since there is still nothing that comes even close.
Too bad it looks unbearably ugly on my TV. I also don't own the WiiU and would've to play it on the Wii.
Since the Wii I didn't buy any Nintendo console but if they made a Switch remake...or even just a Switch HD remaster, I'd buy that console no matter the cost. XD

skypunch

Banned
British accents are sexy, it's just this guy's voice: I really hated him in Crysis, I didn't mind him much in DSII because Craighton the Wanderer doesn't speak much. Also, pretty sure this new character I've seen in a cutscene recently -This guy that sent a Telethia at the end of the events in the mine- is voiced too by another actor that worked in the Dark Souls trilogy.

Yeah, Blake Ritson voiced Alvis. His voice is god-tier.

Peltz

I've been saving this one, I'm going to get some other jrpgs first because I am predicting that few will hold up free playing xenoblade. Glad you're enjoying it.

Actually, I think Xenoblade is different enough from other JRPGs that it doesn't "ruin" the genre or anything. It's definitely got its own unique flow/intricacies.

Hmmm...

25 hours already:

Just when I thought the game was getting a little bit too boring met Alvis, Melia and Riki and got to explore Fronter Village.

I want to write down more impressions but also some criticisms... but it's quite late (or maybe I should say early in the morning)... I think I should just go to sleep already.

Luigiv

Don't try completing all the sidequests or you'll burn out. There are too many and some are time sensitive, so if you focus on completing them, you'll go crazy when they disappear.

Just follow the story while completing some sidequests when you don't feel like advancing the story.

That's not actually true. Those quests are not time sensitive but rather progress sensitive. They only disappear after particular story events make them unplayable. They're all also clearly marked. So as long as you complete them before progressing the story you shouldn't need to go crazy.

That being said, I totally agree that there are just too many sidequests and you shouldn't bother 100%-ing the game anyway. Just do enough side quests in each area until you're happy and then move on with the story.

nan0

I got bored and quit when I reached the boss at Gaur Plains (the tentacle thing).

Am I missing out?

If you didn't like the gameplay until then, you most likely don't like the rest. The environments get a lot more varied and beautiful (and the story more interesting), but the core gameplay with be similar, just with more party members and abilities.

Dingens

If you didn't like the gameplay until then, you most likely don't like the rest. The environments get a lot more varied and beautiful (and the story more interesting), but the core gameplay with be similar, just with more party members and abilities.

on the other hand the start-trio is the most boring gameplaywise... the remaining 4 are more varied and fun.
that's also my advice to the OP: get rid of them asap!

neoemonk

I remember the day I stopped using Shulk as my main and switched to using Melia. It was a glorious day indeed. Manifest yourself.

deoee

034.jpg

Scum

I'm currently replaying through my copy on Dolphin. An absolutely sensational game!

Reyn: "Dunban! With you around, there ain't no stoppin' us!"
Shulk: "Totally!"
Dunban: "Don't get cocky! Stay focused! Stay sharp!"
Reyn and Shulk: "Yes sir!"

I think it's time to write down some of my impressions after playing for about 25 hours. I won't write them as I did in the OP since it will take a lot of time that I could use to actually play Xenoblade.

Some things that have happened in the story:

-Had to fight a huge spider three times because didn't understand the "change the future" mechanic well.
-Colony 6 got invaded and apparently many of its inhabitants were killed/eaten/abducted
-Got a new party member: Sharla. Who is kind of in love with Reyn: "Oh, Reyn, you totally look like Gadolt/you totally remind me of Gadolt, by the way, did I mention Gadolt and I were going to get married?"
-There's more than one mechon with a face... and the new one talks a lot.
-Had to prevent that the death of a Nopon kid called Pama because some adults thought it was a good idea to tell a small kid that a spirit in a river was his friend... seriously, wtf.
-A bunch of mechons with face appeared, and "Metal Face" revealed he can talk too... same voice that evil guy with claws from the tutorial. I'm kind of disappointed. BTW, I think that he didn't speak in the first battle because he just couldn't.
-Dumbass and wiser and older Axel Rose appeared again.
-I was right: mechons with faces are hums transformed into/or maybe they are a part of this mechons, and hums are physically behind the masks. I also think Fiora may be a new and powerful mechon... if I interpreted correctly what I saw in that cutscene. I have no evidence of this but I got the impression that hums or entia are the ones that are building mechons.
-Got to explore these grasslands... don't remember the name. They look spooky during the day and impressive at night. There are some secrets there but I got tired of exploring the place.
-Had to fucking go all over the place to pass a coming of age test so I could gain passage to the interior of the Bionis... had to fight a miniboss too. And this fucking quest was useless because in the end the elevator didn't work...
-Explored the interior of the Bionis... the Titan is still alive. You can hear it breath D:
-Next area is called something something Forest... but it's a freaking jungle full of monsters. Liked the place; also I got to see more about the story. Met Melia and Alvis and got a new power for the Monado.
-Reached frontier Village. This place is huge and kind of charming. Met Riki, and I hope that he's the last party member since I don't like to have that many inactive party users.

Things that I like s far:
-The huge amount of QoL improvements over the genre: never losing progress, being able to save whenever I want, all party members gain experience whether they are part of the fighting party or in the reserves. I totally approve what Monolithsoft did with this game.
-Enviroments/areas are amazing. There's always a place to go and something to do. also, the raining looks pretty cool. I imagine that at the time when the game came out the weather changes were a big deal.
-Some monsters are very impressive and they make you feel insignificant in this world.

Things I'm not very fond of:
-Combat is not exactly my cup of tea... there are too many new mechanics that are confusing. You eventually manage to find the perfect way to take advantage of it (which is a strength of the combat system tbh) . I'd still rank it with a solid 8 because even though I don't like it that much, it's objectively pretty effective.
-The inventory system is a fucking mess. It's pretty good that every time a new party member joins your inventory expands, but I have tons of armor pieces already and let's not talk about gems, minerals, etc.
-Sidequests: So far I've encountered three sidequests that are kind of interesting, but the rest are MMORPG levels of bad.
-The game looks pretty ugly and on top of that I don't like the character designs. It's good that I can change their appearance, but I don't like the armours available either.

I'm taking a break for a couple of days, I'm kind of burned out already.

Around 32 hours in, I feel my progress has slowed down a little for two reasons:

1. At times I need to play something different to keep my interest for XBC fresh. It's usually not a problem for other games but it's different with this one.

2. The left thumbstick of my gamepad is getting weird... turns out the slow movement I thought was a framerate issue at times is a problem with it, which is pretty bad since I don't use my WiiU that often. I already ordered some replacements but I'm wondering when will the thumbstick finally break.

As for the game, I reached the Ethryan Sea (I guess that's its name iirc) and my party got arrested just because. I also feel I've spent a lot of time saving hum and nopon kids. I think I'm getting a better idea who are the bad guys now.

I want to hit 50 hours before the start of the next week so I can progress steadily after my days off are over.

Top Bottom