• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

fun fact: assisted suicide is legal in some states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not know this. I think it should be legal in all states.

DCR_10-29-14_Map-680x440.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You can't say that and not list the states, OP.

I did my high school thesis on this topic so I normally keep check on the status of the states that allow it in some form.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I think assisted suicide should be legal everywhere, but I also think it should have a wait time. Like, you'd have to schedule it a few weeks in advance.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Sarcastically a "fun fact", obviously people.

That's nuts OP

Oh wait, nvm, OP wants it legal everywhere

Couleurs

Looks like the map is a bit out of date since it's legal in Colorado now (state amendment was approved in November).

Jayof9s

I think assisted suicide should be legal everywhere, but I also think it should have a wait time. Like, you'd have to schedule it a few weeks in advance.

I think it depends on the situation. If someone is in debilitating pain from a condition that won't improve, why force them to prolong their suffering?

I mean, I don't think most/any of the states that allow assisted suicide allow it for perfectly healthy people that just decide they don't want to live. My understanding (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) is that in the US it's almost entirely for cases with terminal conditions and it's a quality of life issue.

physician-assisted suicide is legal here in switzerland as it should be.
lots of people come here from europe to get it "done".

i donate to them regularely.

hidys

Not American but I know we in Victoria, Australia have plans to legalise euthanasia this year. It seems like something that will be gradually accepted over time.

There's currently a debate going on in South Africa. 85 year old former archbishop Desmond Tutu is advocating for his own ability to die with dignity, but assisted suicide is illegal currently in SA.

I hope he is allowed to die in the manner of his choosing and we get conversations going all over the world that help more people to see that everyone should be allowed to make this choice.

bunbun777

I respect doctors who don't believe this law is "good". We're probably going to need a new branch or at least the option for doctors to opt in/out.

I respect doctors who don't believe this law is "good". We're probably going to need a new branch or at least the option for doctors to opt in/out.

You would rather have some sick person suffer in pain or live as a vegetable or with some other severe cognitive impairment because you cannot let go?

Tecnniqe

Banned
If people are suffering I don't see why assisting them to end it is bad.

But it can go either way depending on each case and can probably be abused as well.

Ron Mexico

The Hippocratic Oath makes this one murky. I think ultimately we'll see a wider adoption once there's more clarity regarding "physician assisted" and what that looks like going forward.

You would rather have some sick person suffer in pain or live as a vegetable or with some other severe cognitive impairment because you cannot let go?

If that's what their maker intended, then they should go through all the pain. Probably a punishment for a crime in a past life.

spekkeh

Banned
Didn't they legalise it last year in California too? Or was that reverted. I see it's been legal in Oregon since 1994, that's pretty cool. Took until 2002 here in the Netherlands. (Then again we had gay marriage since 2001)

Jayof9s

Seriously. We don't let our pets suffer but if it's a person, lots of people are fine with them lingering on in horrendous pain. Because clearly that's what god wants. /s

spekkeh

Banned
The Hippocratic Oath makes this one murky. I think ultimately we'll see a wider adoption once there's more clarity regarding "physician assisted" and what that looks like going forward.
The original Hippocratic oath had you pledge to give your money to your teachers if they needed it. So they changed it mid 20th century to modernize it. They can modernize it again.

Ron Mexico

The original Hippocratic oath had you pledge to give your money to your teachers if they needed it. So they changed it mid 20th century to modernize it. They can modernize it again.

Oh I agree. I do think that's what it will take though. Or at least something along those lines.

jph139

How bad do you need to be to qualify for this assisted suicide, can you be healthy but really depressed?

The qualifications vary by state but are very rigorous from what I remember - honestly I think it's too much. You need independent verification from multiple doctors that you have an illness that is incurably fatal. You need to undergo numerous psychological evaluations that you're of sound mind and not suffering from depression.

I think there's even a time limit - like, less than six months to live. It's very narrow.

system11

Should be legal everywhere and for any reason you like. Your life is the one damn thing you come into the world with, which always belongs to you, and fuck what anyone else thinks about that.

Completely fine with doctors who can't face this not being expected to be part of it, special clinics would be the obvious solution.

bunbun777

No I believe in the right to choose just not that all doctors should be expected to perform the deed if they are against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom