• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here goes.....

logoforwhitebackgroundkq2.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------

Title: Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
Platform: Xbox360
Genre: 3rd Person Shooter
Developer: Capcom
Publisher: Capcom
Release Date: JPN - 12/22/06; USA - 01/12/07
Official Site: http://www.lostplanet-thegame.com/
Official Community site: htttp://www.lostplanetcommunity.com

Official Rundown

Lost Planet: Extreme Condition is the upcoming scifi action shooter from Capcom, devoloped
exclusively for the Xbox 360. The title is produced by Keiji Inafune of Mega Man,
Onimusha, and Dead Rising fame, as well as Jun Takeuchi who is producing Resident Evil 5. It was directed by Kenji Oguro, interviewed Here
Here's an excerpt:
Blogger said:
[Brian] What other games have you worked on besides Lost Planet?

[Kenji Oguro] Before Lost Planet I worked on the Onimusha series, numbers 1, 2 and 3. I designed the playable characters and the enemies, stuff like that. For example, I would come up with the moves you could use, what kinds of enemies and boss characters there would be, what the enemy AI would act like. I also tweaked and balanced all of that.

So Lost Planet is really my directorial debut.

[Brian] Wow, congratulations! This is a pretty big title to have as your first directing job. I’ve played through a lot of the game, and spent a lot of time with multiplayer internally and online, and the game is amazing! So what does directing a game actually entail?

[Oguro] Basically my job is to decide the vision and direction for the game, including the multiplayer mode. For example, I decided to make it a 3rd-person shooter rather than an FPS, how big to make the maps, and to make it a more action-oriented shooter.

Keeping the team on the same page and leading them in the same direction is a big part of being director. And of course its the talented individuals on the dev team that actually create the game and put it on-screen, so I would direct them to make sure what they were creating was in step with the vision I had for the game.

The Lost Planet team would see these expansive stages and want to climb up on top of every high place, go anywhere and everywhere they could see, so another part of my job was deciding where the limits would be to where you could go in the game.

And of course I always had the development schedule in the back of my mind, making sure everything we were trying to pull off was doable while still making our milestones and launch date.

Like previous titles from Inafune, the title character from Lost Planet features the likeness of Korean Actor Lee Byung-Hun(A Bittersweet Life IE: Total Badass!)
Though he does NOT voice Wayne

lpwayne2lu9.jpg

tbfild010%5Cadmin_2005471080_main.jpg

lphunrl4.jpg

Also, along with the on-foot 3rd person shooting sequences throughout the title, there is also the opportunity to utitize Mech's (known as VS - Vital Suits) as well.
Multiplayer is also present, with currently 4 modes of play: Elimination, Team EliminationPost Grab and Fox Hunt!

Official Plot

From Official Website:

"Rescued from a veil of Ice with only fragments of memory, Wayne Holden struggles to recover his past on a blizzard-ridden world swarming with deadly aliens. With only treacherous Snow Pirates and the mysterious NEVEC Corporation remaining, can anyone be trusted or is everything lost?"

Features

- "Xbox Live Enabled - An array of online possibilities include:
*downloads of additional maps
*16 player cooperative and versus battles!"

- "On-foot and In-vehicle Modes - Command heavily armed bipedal vehicles or switch to more stealthy exploration on-foot"

- "Vast and Vivid Environments - Snowstorms, arctic winds, towering buildings and mountains of ice create cinematic stunning visuals and breathtaking Landscapes!"

- "Next-Gen Realism - Immerse yourself in the brutal chilling world of Lost Planet as you labor through waist-deep snow, hear the crunch of ice with each step, and fly backward from explosive force during battle!!!!"

- "Alien Encounters - Face off with an array of Akrid, from massive rolling behemoths and Long-legged ground-dwellers to fast-flying swarms overhead!"

Cast of some characters

basiltt6.jpg
galeoe1.jpg

lukabr0.jpg
ricknb2.jpg

snowpirateqr9.jpg
Oddworld_Abe_s_Odyssey_PSX__61845.jpg

soldiervo0.jpg
yurifm6.jpg

gtf11wk0.jpg
gtf11cccl5.jpg
gtt01wt7.jpg

Merchandise!

Lostplanetbox2.jpg

lostplanetcollectorsed.jpg

Available in two Sku's - Regular Edition ($59.99) and Collector's Edition ($69.99)

Collector's Edition includes:

One Exclusive bonus Multiplayer Map
Exclusive cover art and steel book metal case
Exclusive Art Book
- Concept sketches from beginning to final
- Character renders, VS renders, enemy art
Bonus CD that includes
- Soundtrack
- Fan kit assets
- HD trailers of theatrical ad and Tokyo Game Show ad
- 3 webisodes
- Wallpapers
- AIM icons, Board icons, Signature banners
- Digital art, including: screens, character art, and environment

....and! dun dun duh! a limited edition VS figure! (ships with game and supplies ARE limited!)

299129168_39ccb2e33d.jpg

299129174_fe20e0b562.jpg

Media

*Kudos to the 360 thread for the Pics

46361320061130_175021_0_big.jpg

46361320061130_175021_1_big.jpg

46361320061130_175022_2_big.jpg

46361320061130_175022_3_big.jpg

46361320061130_175022_4_big.jpg

46361320061130_175022_5_big.jpg

46361320061130_175023_7_big.jpg

46361320061130_175023_8_big.jpg

46361320061130_175024_9_big.jpg

(right click, save-as)

Trailer 5
jPAN Gameplay Trailer
TGS'06 Trailer (must see)
Random MP Awesome
Latest 1up Show with LP Preview
GameTrailers Preview

Reviews:

- XBM: 8.0
- Famitsu: Lost Planet (Xbox 360, Capcom) : 9,9,9,9 - (36/40)
- IGN 8.5
- Gametrailers HD video review..
- Gamerankings average for more....

Thoughts

After playing the SP E3'06 demo an un-godly amount of times (it stayed on my 360 until the MP demo was released), I've become absolutely smitten with this title!
Whether officially or unofficially, its going for an all out old school shooter feel with an immaculate next-gen presentation. Early buzz seems to be generally positive, but there have been some out there who aren't exactly thrilled with its "by the numbers" gameplay...
LPlukereactions.gif

........Seems like if you know what its going for and are okay with it (just download SP demo), you should be just fine!

Visually, I adore the game's palette. The art direction, by Takahiro Kawano, is just so spot-on, with both anime influences as well as international, which more and more japenese developers seem going for! Check out a recent interview with Kawano Here

Here's a excerpt

Blogger said:
[Brian]How are the Vital Suits different from traditional mechs?

[Kawano] Lost Planet isnt really in the same vain as your traditional Japanese robot mecha anime. So for the designs of the Vital Suits, we wanted to go with a more military, industrial look, something functional like a car or a forklift. So I took robots as bipedal walking machines, and started designing from there.

To Japanese people, saying robot often invokes images of a giant machine many stories high, that a person climbs into and pilots, like Gundam or something. But we wanted to make this game appealing to people outside of Japan, so rather than going for that giant robot style that appeals more to Japanese people, I tried to think about what would be more appealing to users abroad.

I've been playin the MP demo rather extensively and I'm glad to report that it shouldn't be a throw-away mode. Once you get into its mechanics, its turns out to be a rather tactical, while visceral, experience.
Juggling digging for buried VS's, capturing Data Posts, and killing off the opposing team while staying alive is what you need to do to deplete the opposing team's Battle Points (think tickets from Battlefield 2, only they regenerate with mentioned actions!)
I definetly glad to see this as opposed to standard DM or TDM and believe it will have more staying power than other recent titles....

So, Snow Pirates unite! and lets get ****ing Lost on a planet!!!!

-----------------------------------------

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Nice, Capcom putting Abe as a cameo in Lost Planet. I wish Capcom would revive the Oddworld franchise.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I can't believe the game is actually going to ship with that ENGRISH title. Every time I see the boot-up screen of the demo, I'm embarassed to be a gamer. Conditions, goddamnit, CONDITIONSSSSSSS! <sigh>

SpacLock

duk said:
Nice thread but WTF is this? :lol

I think he posted Abe because his face looks like one of the enemies faces from lost planet.

This thread is awsome and i can't wait for this game to come out.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Nice thread

If you can still edit, could you throw this up, Its good news for UK doods.

Game – Figurines + Bonus level card
HMV – Face Plates + Bonus level card
Virgin – Face Plates + Bonus level card
Game Station – Hand warmers + Bonus level card
And selected indie shops will have T-Shirts

Xamdou

McBacon said:
Nice thread

Err faceplates! Pics plz :)

GhaleonEB

Wooo! Very excited for this game ever since the E3 demo seven months ago.

If I pre-ordered my LE copy last month, do I automatically get that action figure? Is that only at certain retailers? What's the scoop? I hadn't heard anything about it yet.

Xamdou

GhaleonEB said:
Wooo! Very excited for this game ever since the E3 demo seven months ago.

If I pre-ordered my LE copy last month, do I automatically get that action figure? Is that only at certain retailers? What's the scoop? I hadn't heard anything about it yet.

Not sure about other retailers but I know for a fact Gamestop will give people who pre-order either the Regular or C.E Edition the action figure as a bonus.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=B200182A
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=B200235A

Edit: EB will give the action figure as well since GS and EB are owned by the same company.

GhaleonEB

S8 RoXoRz said:
Not sure about other retailers but I know for a fact Gamestop will give people who pre-order either the Regular or C.E Edition the action figure as a bonus.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=B200182A
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=B200235A

Edit: EB will give the action figure as well since GS and EB are owned by the same company.
Gamestop is where I pre-ordered. W00t. I'll call do double-check that I'm getting it, anyways. Now I'm all ecited about an action figure. :lol

icecream

Public Health Threat
But you get that pretty Laser Cel (you can see it behind the figure in the picture) if you pre-order it at other places. :)

January 12th!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>Hey, the Japanese version comes out on my Birthday. <<<

NA version hits on mine.

Akira

Last night, I went to Best Buy and this game was one of the new demoes on the 360. I was surprised to see that as every other Best Buy I've been to have never updated the demo offerings beyond the initial launch demoes, which is just ridiculous. I was pleasantly surprised to see a kid playing this game, so my friend and I forsook trying out the PS3 and tried this game out. It's really, really good. The graphics are amazing, although there was a bit of slowdown that I noticed. Aside from that, graphics are great. The gameplay is very fun, although it's a bit easy. Perhaps it's from being an demo, but those Starship Trooper-like aliens just stand there waiting to get killed with one shot. I hope the AI and slowdown are addressed before release. I'm excited to get my 360 from playing the demo, I might just buy the game.

MegaTen

Banned
_dementia said:
Hey, the Japanese version comes out on my Birthday. :lol
Really? My birthday is the 20th.. so it'll be a late gift from Capcom since I'm getting the North American version. :D

raYne

MegaTen said:
Really? My birthday is the 20th.. so it'll be a late gift from Capcom since I'm getting the North American version. :D
The best kind of gift. The kind you pay for yourself...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Holy crap - it's a tin case? All this time I thought that it was a plastic case or something? Well, I had already decided on getting the LE from day one, but that case makes this package all the sweeter...

I hope all this makes it to Holland as well, as extra stuff like figurines and other stuff never come here...

Xamdou

I am a fan of C.E editions of games (I have PDZ/Gears C.E).

But out of all the C.E editions Lost Planet looks the best out of all of them :) .

Llyranor

The demos are pretty fun, but I haven't seen 'must buy NOW' material yet. It'd be a day1 purchase if it had splitscreen coop, but now it'll be a bargain purchase instead.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
McBacon said:
Nice thread

Cool I didn't know we were getting the extras :D

gogogow

brandonh83 said:
That's a bad shot though, makes her look like Diddy Kong

:lol

Still there was nothing wrong with the first version though. Don't know why they changed it.
They did a good job by changing "quasimodo" Dante from DMC4 though.

gogogow said:
:lol

Still there was nothing wrong with the first version though. Don't know why they changed it.
They did a good job by changing "quasimodo" Dante from DMC4 though.

True. She's still good looking enough either way, but I hope she
dies

I really hope this game starts a huge new franchise for Capcom, like Resident Evil.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Zaptruder said:
Dammit. I need that collectors edition!

Any online sites selling preorders of the CE along with the figure?
ebgames.com

damn i guess i will preorder now myself.

Man i spend too much on video games,

MegaTen

Banned
I didn't even notice Luka's change in design until you guys pointed it out. Have there been any other character changes?

Odysseus

Banned
Despite not really liking what was presented of the plot in a trailer around TGS and despite not really liking their distribution plans for multiplayer maps, I must admit I'm still interested in picking up this game if and when I ever get another 360. I blame snow. I'm a sucker for snow.

Besides, I never planned to play multiplayer anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom