• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve Makes "Boomer Shooter" An Official Genre On Steam

freemandos

Neo Member
So...when the tag 'boomer platformer'? 'Boomer RPG'? 'Boomer JRPG'? 'Boomer adventure game'? How about "zoomer shooters" to every CoD clone? Why only call them plainly shooters instead of Quake? Now shooters were born on consoles seventh gen? And how about using the Yahtzee's "ghost train ride" to every modern cinematic third person action game (and it makes more sense). Wait, I know! How about calling the 80s and 90s action movies 'boomer action movies'? Do you think 'elevate horror' term do favors to the genre now? We are in the trend of mock and treat with irony the past and throwbacks and ignore the facts because reasons, so why not?

In other words: I understand about making easier the search of this type of FPS, but the 'boomer shooter' tag doesn't make any favor to the genre and even less sense.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
Boomer, zoomer. Words for people who lack a varied vocabulary and can't express themselves eloquently. And the irony is that both words were coined by boomers : DD. So in essence it's used by the feebleminded ones, mostly youngsters, but the concept is from a boomer, essentially handicapping the the ones who use it. Oh the irony.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Call of Duty is a retro shooter. Call of Duty with mtx in a few years will be a retro shooter. Retro doesnt mean 90's type of genres. Cry all you want, but your definition is worse and no ones going to change their minds about "boomer shooters".
That's just you being pedantic. And in no way is a name that isn't at representative of what it attempts to describe better than something you attempt to handwave away because Call Of Duty has allegedly drastically changed its gameplay from OG MW2 to remake MW2.

Cool. Whatever keeps the genre alive and going. Call it Booboo Kitty Schmoopkins for all I care. Give me more Cultic, Bolt Gun and the ilk. The genre has been in a renaissance as of late and I'm all for it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
okay-boomer-okay.gif
I would boom her

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
That's just you being pedantic. And in no way is a name that isn't at representative of what it attempts to describe better than something you attempt to handwave away because Call Of Duty has allegedly drastically changed its gameplay from OG MW2 to remake MW2.

Dont be ridiculous. Boomer Shooter sounds awesome. You're just being a petty child. Hell when I first heard the name my mind didnt even think about actual boomers, instead I was thinking about that classic boomstick shotgun that is common in classic shooters.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
It's a term I refuse to acknowledge, and I will double down now that I've seen the tweet about someone doing it because they thought it was funny. Just like pronouncing gif as jif because the creator thinks it's funny is a retarded, so is this.

This term does nothing but highlight how fucking stupid, or at least misinformed, so many people are. Boomer is short for Baby Boomer, named for the post-war baby boom.

The people who gave rise to the misuse of Boomer are the fools on sites like Reddit that hear the word used in some sort of economic discussion and use it thinking they're smart, with the irony being that if they had a fucking brain in their nut they'd have googled the term before using it willy nilly, but perhaps I'm asking too much of the communities that are glued to the internet to think they might use it to understand what the words that come out of their mouths.

So no, I won't be using a shit name rooted in idiocy and amplified by some dude's shit sense of humour. Maybe if it was ignorant to how stupid and annoying it all is I wouldn't mind.
I get it. I'm the old grump too who always reads 'boomer' as those who were born mid/shortly post-WWll and are in their mid-70s/80s right now.

Not going to gripe with the usage as I under people are using it to describe Gen X and Millennials mostly. We are the old people and the 'boomers' to younger generations. I don't mind being called a boomer even if people on/off Steam (or elsewhere) don't really know what a boomer is. I'd prefer to be called a dinosaur though if we're really looking for word accuracy.

Retro Shooter.

An fps that makes the choice to forego modern shooter design philosophies in favour of older design aka Doom, Quake, etc.
I'm agreeing with The Cockatrice The Cockatrice on this one. "Boomer Shooter" is the better term here and most of you will realize why in 10-20 years when CoD 4 turns 35-40 years old. Not to mention the Xbox 360 is about to be a 20 year old console next year.

Kudos to you The Cockatrice The Cockatrice for fighting the entire thread on this. As someone who's done so before, I know it's not easy to stand against a tidal wave lol.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'm agreeing with The Cockatrice The Cockatrice on this one. "Boomer Shooter" is the better term here and most of you will realize why in 10-20 years when CoD 4 turns 35-40 years old. Not to mention the Xbox 360 is about to be a 20 year old console next year.

Kudos to you The Cockatrice The Cockatrice for fighting the entire thread on this. As someone who's done so before, I know it's not easy to stand against a tidal wave lol.
Old School over Retro then. It's the name Boomer Shooter that is awful.

Besides, I don't think the age is relevant. COD4 could be 100, it's about the pre-modern FPS game design - not the age of it.

Old School over Retro then. It's the name Boomer Shooter that is awful.
I'm sorry but Boomer Shooter is catchier and easily recognizable. 'Old School Shooter' starts to leak into the top-down shooter genre-types and complicates things.

If only there were as catchy of a name for HD-2D JRPGs.

Soodanim

Gold Member
If
I'm sorry but Boomer Shooter is catchier and easily recognizable. 'Old School Shooter' starts to leak into the top-down shooter genre-types and complicates things.

If only there were as catchy of a name for HD-2D JRPGs.
The racing genre's arcade and sim styles are a rough parallel, names and origins aside.

Top Bottom