• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve Makes "Boomer Shooter" An Official Genre On Steam

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It's a term coined by a millennial who was 5 when Doom was released.

The Office Thank You GIF

simpatico

A lot of legit great Boomer Shooters (Dusk, Turbo Overkill) get unfairly associated with trashy stuff like Father Forgive Me and Nightmare Reaper. I feel bad for the people who play the bad ones first and write off the whole genre.

Reactions: Gp1
Oh wow, condescending much?

Just because we prefer a certain type of game design and stand by playing it for years, if not decades, and not participate in the zeitgeist of contemporary shooters, doesn't mean you can just run around naming a collective group of people in a patronizing way.

Imagine the internet outrage if the roles were reversed and a game like fortnite or cod was named and tagged "woke shooter". The entire internet will shit on Valve for publishing it, the devs and the players for promoting "tOxIc gAmEr CuLtUrE" and the journalists will be on full meltdown mode until it's removed.

Retro Shooter is the best term.

Arena Shooter exists for a reason, it pretty much sums up the legacy game design archetype, in it's entirety, just with those two words. Why fix something that ain't broken?

winjer

Gold Member
Arena Shooter exists for a reason, it pretty much sums up the legacy game design archetype, in it's entirety, just with those two words. Why fix something that ain't broken?

Arena shooter is not the same thing as a retro-shooter.
An arena shooter is a specific genre of a multiplayer FPS, set around an arena, with set rulesets and item positions.
What we are referring as a retro-shooter or boomer shooter, is a single player experience with retro inspired graphics, art-style and gameplay.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
giphy.gif

It's a pun with layers. Because most of the games feature a certain staple of the genre.
*BOOM-ER SHOOTER* Do you get it now?
That was my thought the first time I heard it. I like the term, it’s kind of silly like “Metroidvania” and “Shmup”. I mean, the gaming industry has never been great at inventing genre names anyway. Might as well not fight colloquialisms.

DaGwaphics

Boomers did play and make these games hence the naming. A boomer would be what, around 30 when these games were made and came out in the 90s? You're saying when you're 30 you dont play games? Gaf really likes to act like they know shit. They're not called "boomer shooters" because only boomers play them ffs.

Of course people in their 30s and 40s were playing games in the 90s, however the audience for video games was a lot younger on average back then. I feel like the audience that initially defined these games was younger than that. But, I was quite young myself at the time and maybe I just didn't pay attention to what ancient people that old were doing. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

BlackTron

Cool that it has its own category but adopting the name adds a sense of legitimacy to it which is lame. It's not just a gag name someone thought up, it's the official reference.

Elysium44

Banned
As usual Gen X is treated like the neglected middle child. Boomers weren't even playing video games when they were young.

Yep my parents are boomers and are useless with technology, they have no interest or aptitude for it. 'Boomer' is just being used as a general offensive term for anyone over 40 nowadays it seems.

Oh wow, condescending much?

Just because we prefer a certain type of game design and stand by playing it for years, if not decades, and not participate in the zeitgeist of contemporary shooters, doesn't mean you can just run around naming a collective group of people in a patronizing way.

Imagine the internet outrage if the roles were reversed and a game like fortnite or cod was named and tagged "woke shooter". The entire internet will shit on Valve for publishing it, the devs and the players for promoting "tOxIc gAmEr CuLtUrE" and the journalists will be on full meltdown mode until it's removed.
Poe's Law strikes again

Atrus

Gold Member
It’s the wrong age demographic and I’m not sure what distinction they’re trying to make given entire genres haven’t really changed over decades nor were specifically tied to age brackets.

Boomers did play and make these games hence the naming. A boomer would be what, around 30 when these games were made and came out in the 90s? You're saying when you're 30 you dont play games? Gaf really likes to act like they know shit. They're not called "boomer shooters" because only boomers play them ffs.
Boomers were 40s to 60s. Jesus, people. wtf.

The average gamer already refers to these games as boomer shooters, so I don't see an issue with this. I am surprised anyone would be offended by this.

It's the sad side of 'gaf. They like to moan about other places being woke and crying. Then they whinge about anything asinine like this.

It's not an offensive term. It's already in the common lexicon for gamers, it makes perfect sense as a name. "Boomer" isn't literally referring to baby boomers is it guys. Chill the fuck out. It's better than "Old Skool Shooter". Also retro shooter doesn't work imo, it's too broad.

IAmRei

Almost boomer here, i find it odd tho, because i thought boomer is at 40+. I think gen X shooter is correct one. But i agree if its tongue twister. Maybe 90s shooter or old shooter?

Gp1

I'm a 80's millennial and was playing this back in the early 90's so i simply don't care.

But something like "doom clone/old school shooters", "arena shooter" (anything resembling Q3/UT99) ""modern" shooter" (any heavily scripted campaign shooter post MoH Allied Assault, which has more than 20 years on its own) would make more sense.

It's strange to think that the last revolution in single player fps has been going on for over 20 years.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
It's a term I refuse to acknowledge, and I will double down now that I've seen the tweet about someone doing it because they thought it was funny. Just like pronouncing gif as jif because the creator thinks it's funny is a retarded, so is this.

This term does nothing but highlight how fucking stupid, or at least misinformed, so many people are. Boomer is short for Baby Boomer, named for the post-war baby boom.

The people who gave rise to the misuse of Boomer are the fools on sites like Reddit that hear the word used in some sort of economic discussion and use it thinking they're smart, with the irony being that if they had a fucking brain in their nut they'd have googled the term before using it willy nilly, but perhaps I'm asking too much of the communities that are glued to the internet to think they might use it to understand what the words that come out of their mouths.

So no, I won't be using a shit name rooted in idiocy and amplified by some dude's shit sense of humour. Maybe if it was ignorant to how stupid and annoying it all is I wouldn't mind.

poodaddy

It's a term I refuse to acknowledge, and I will double down now that I've seen the tweet about someone doing it because they thought it was funny. Just like pronouncing gif as jif because the creator thinks it's funny is a retarded, so is this.

This term does nothing but highlight how fucking stupid, or at least misinformed, so many people are. Boomer is short for Baby Boomer, named for the post-war baby boom.

The people who gave rise to the misuse of Boomer are the fools on sites like Reddit that hear the word used in some sort of economic discussion and use it thinking they're smart, with the irony being that if they had a fucking brain in their nut they'd have googled the term before using it willy nilly, but perhaps I'm asking too much of the communities that are glued to the internet to think they might use it to understand what the words that come out of their mouths.

So no, I won't be using a shit name rooted in idiocy and amplified by some dude's shit sense of humour. Maybe if it was ignorant to how stupid and annoying it all is I wouldn't mind.
ok GIF

Wildebeest

What is a boomer shooter anyway, I don't understand? These games are nothing like Doom or Quake and often seem to be more like Metroid Prime or something. Then you have ones inspired by Doom Eternal, Call of Juarez, and so on. Most are retro only in superficial graphical style.

Last edited:

Holammer

What is a boomer shooter anyway, I don't understand? These games are nothing like Doom or Quake and often seem to be more like Metroid Prime or something. Then you have ones inspired by Doom Eternal, Call of Juarez, and so on. Most are retro only in superficial graphical style.
They are first person shooters usually with a retro aesthetic & sound similar to games from 93-97. Feature health & armor pickups rather than regenerating health. 8 to 10+ wildly different weapons instead of 2 real guns. Focus on level exploration and keycards, with a map screen & hidden areas.

zvMpNt8.jpg

SnapShot

pretentious term lol, next thing you know they'll add zoomer shooter and throw in literally any FPS you can think of that came out after half-life there

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
People continuing to not understand the slang use of boomer cracks me up.

The irony being it makes you a boomer, boomers.

Neon Xenon

I'll acknowledge that the term "Boomer Shooter" has become more commonly accepted over time just as much as I'll acknowledge that it also sounds inherently dumb. And yes, I get that it started as an in-joke.

Top Bottom