• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop presents: The 2016 Hip-Hop Awards | The Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayDat

Album of the Year
1|A Tribe Called Quest|We Got It From Here… Thank You 4 Your Service
lBvg94M.jpg

2|Danny Brown|Atrocity Exhibition
gULXduU.jpg

3|Kanye West|The Life of Pablo
V1eqWTW.jpg

4|Isaiah Rashad|The Sun’s Tirade
4cjt0CZ.jpg

5|Schoolboy Q|Blank Face LP
KUEsBKH.jpg

6|Young Thug|Jeffery
e5dGUF3.jpg

7|Noname|Telefone
ynBAvYN.jpg

8|Ka|Honor Killed the Samurai
TBakGpQ.jpg

9|Kendrick Lamar|Untitled Unmastered
KvXsPd4.jpg

10|Run the Jewels|Run the Jewels 3
080MXZl.jpg

Song of the Year
Young Thug & Travis Scott - Pick Up the Phone
zhlVsV6.jpg

Artist/Group of the Year
A Tribe Called Quest
Nmet9RS.jpg

Producer of the Year
Metro Boomin
2zuF19K.jpg

Rookie of the Year
Noname
rQNNEvZ.jpg

Feature Killer of the Year
André 3000
JPmFQgc.jpg

”L” of the Year
Kanye West
mlT42iT.jpg

Biggest Disappointment
Drake - Views
qfGIAnt.jpg

Thanks to everyone who participated!
Voting Thread
Raw Data

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Fuck, forgot to vote.

Well, great list anyway. Hard to dispute this (though I still need to give Tribe a proper listen).

Isaiah was my #1.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Solid list. Only one I haven't heard on that list is Noname. Guess I'll be checking it out then.

Also I'm super happy that Young Thug is in the list. What a fun album that is.

overcast

Forgot to vote and it may have cost blank face which was in my top 3.

But happy to see that and Atrocity getting recognition. SS3 >> Jeffrey too

First off, that "Pick Up The Phone" cover is flames.

Secondly, Tribe deserved it. I didn't love the album as some other people on here, but it certainly wowed the hell out of me when it came out. It's truly something special, and I hope Tribe find a way to live on after Phife's death. If anything, this album showed how much hip-hop needs Tribe and, more importantly, how hip-hop needs Q-Tip back behind the boards, making beats.

Thirdly, Kanye may be a fucking L magnet now, but you can't deny "The Life of Pablo" contains some of the best songs of his career, despite it being a shitty album. As a pop album, one full of disparate songs that don't connect, it's great. As a Kanye West record, it's pretty mediocre. Still though, "Famous"? "Ultralight Beams"? "Waves"? "Fade"? "Saint Pablo"? "No More Parties in LA"? All of those songs are brilliance, it's just a shame they had to be attached to a mediocre album concept.

Good ass job, guys

Pablo is a very schizophrenic album, but that does seem to be the point of the album. It's about the different parts of Kanye shining through a different points. You can tell it's a very personal album in that sense. Some people find the concept is half baked, but I find that a bit misguided considering it still has a more focal theme than most albums that released this year. I've always just embraced the diversity of the album, in terms of content and sound, and just appreciated it in that sense. I don't think there is a single bad track on the record.

collige

Banned
Good ass job, guys

Pablo is a very schizophrenic album, but that does seem to be the point of the album. It's about the different parts of Kanye shining through a different points. You can tell it's a very personal album in that sense. Some people find the concept is half baked, but I find that a bit misguided considering it still has a more focal theme than most albums that released this year. I've always just embraced the diversity of the album, in terms of content and sound, and just appreciated it in that sense. I don't think there is a single bad track on the record.
I think it makes a lot more sense if you think of it as a really good album (tracks 1-13) with a really good EP tacked on the end for good measure (16-20).

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Am I missing Anderson Paak in the raw data?
One of my favourites of the year, and far and away the best live show I went to, but it's a stretch to call Malibu or Yes Lawd hip-hop albums despite featuring hip-hop tracks. It's neo-soul more than anything.

bryehn

I haven't heard half of this stuff, but will now. Hard not disagree with Drake getting letdown of the year.

Dabanton

"3|Kanye West|The Life of Pablo"

explain ya'll

It's a solid album. And Kanye even if his lyrical ability is sometimes questionable always brings solid production ideas and execution.

I personally enjoy all the songs on their expect maybe Wolves. Which I skip more often that not.

'Real Friends' makes even more sense now in the shadow of his mental breakdown.

Waves is hands down a banger. Even Fade which at first seems so throwaway just vibes so well.

One of my favourites of the year, and far and away the best live show I went to, but it's a stretch to call Malibu or Yes Lawd hip-hop albums despite featuring hip-hop tracks. It's neo-soul more than anything.
Still I remember several people voting for it and the thread runner saying he would count it.

#fakeresults

IdrisOllie

Neo Member
I honestly do not see the hype around Kendrick's album, I thought is was pretty bad overall. No clear direction and a lot of non-rap type songs where he does this weird bad singing voice that made me cringe. Also for rookie of the year I think there are way better candidates than noname like 21 Savage or Lil Uzi (if he counts as a rookie).

phanphare

Banned
nice to see Ka get on there and RTJ 3 sneak in even though it released like a week before the year ended

TLOP at 3 tho.....yall got some splainin' to do

actually scratch that, I don't want to hear the justifications. it'll just make me depressed and 2017 just started. gotta stay positive.

PlayDat

Am I missing Anderson Paak in the raw data?

Still I remember several people voting for it and the thread runner saying he would count it.

#fakeresults
Malibu had 17 points putting it in 13th place (tied with Coloring Book).
Yes Lawd! had 5 points putting it in 26th place (tied with 5 others).
Paak had 3 points for Artist of the Year, putting him in third place.
Knxledge one point for Produce of the Year putting him in fourth place (tied with 4 others).
The full data is in the spreadsheet.

How close was Danny Brown to 1st place?

He was 38 points behind for second place. TLOP was only 7 points lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom