• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Your Name" has become the highest grossing anime film of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlow

Banned
please do a wider release in US. I can wait for it to hit amazon but I really would like to see this before the MOTY voting thread ends.

They are still playing it at theaters here so that says a lot IMO. I have seen this so many times already and still never get tired of it. Glad it's doing so well.

Great results all around in asia. Shame though that my chances to see this in theaters (in Finland) are close to zero as non-ghibli anime films make it very rarely to here.

Kenai

Can't wait to see it myself, only heard good things.

Hope they do a dual audio release in the U.S. by summertime.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is this inflation adjusted?

I need my American screenings this is an outrage.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Spirited Away didn't make enough in America for inflation to matter.

Well I guess I mean global... inflation.

If that's a thing.

In fact I'm not sure what I mean anymore.

No, I'm definitely not bitter that this still hasn't hit North American theatres. Nope.
These aren't tears, not at all.
Too bad about not getting into my MOTY list.
Hoping that Funimation gets it to my town like they did to Shin Godzilla.

No, I'm definitely not bitter that this still hasn't hit North American theatres. Nope.
These aren't tears, not at all.
Too bad about not getting into my MOTY list.
Hoping that Funimation gets it to my town like they did to Shin Godzilla.
You Americans get Godzilla. We Europeans get Your Name. It's a fair trade.

TissueBox

Wow, Makoto be drownin' atm lol. Drownin' in ching-a-ching, that is!!

Though in seriousness, that is quite the return. I got to see the first couple minutes of it and balked a little at that opening, was a bit corny for me -- and I liked 5 Centimeters.

Whenever it comes around these parts I'll give it a good sit-through though, and hopefully get to savor the full package.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
A travesty if you ask me. It's not a bad movie I guess, especially by Makoto Shinkai's standards, but it's very "animu" in a number of regards, with cliché'd dialogue and character behavior, and a total length that could easily be cut down by 1/4 or 1/3. Then again, Howl's Moving Castle did phenomenally well even though it's a very flawed movie compared to many other Ghibli movies.

At any rate, Your Name is nowhere near the quality of the masterpieces that are Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. I'm guessing it's going to do worse than those movies internationally. It's much more Japan-centric in terms of themes, tone and tropes than those.

Well I guess I mean global... inflation.

If that's a thing.

In fact I'm not sure what I mean anymore.

You Name's global gross comes from pretty much three countries at the moment. Japan, China and South Korea. In Japan there really hasn't been that much inflation since 2001 (100 yens in 2001 is 101 yens today) and in China and South Korea Spirited Away did jack shit boxoffice wise so you don't even need to think about inflation.

Fireblend

Banned
It's great that Japanese movie studios and directors are being shown that you don't have to be Ghibli or Miyazaki to make it big. I hope the industry grows so that more movies can be produced.

And, I enjoyed the movie, but better than Spirited Away?

Haha, no.

Shirke

A really well done film, saw it in theater in Hong Kong and it worth it seeing the animation on big screen. Definitely would see it again in theater when it comes out in NA.

A travesty if you ask me. It's not a bad movie I guess, especially by Makoto Shinkai's standards, but it's very "animu" in a number of regards, with cliché'd dialogue and character behavior, and a total length that could easily be cut down by 1/4 or 1/3. Then again, Howl's Moving Castle did phenomenally well even though it's a very flawed movie compared to many other Ghibli movies.

At any rate, Your Name is nowhere near the quality of the masterpieces that are Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. I'm guessing it's going to do worse than those movies internationally. It's much more Japan-centric in terms of themes, tone and tropes than those.

By internationally, you mean outside Asia, right? Because the bulk of the reason Your Name passed Spirited Away in global revenue is because of its showing in China.

Also, this is just hearsay, but I've heard that Your Name's UK showing did extremely well.

This isn't to say that Your Name deserves to be the highest grossing anime film of all time if we're going by artistic quality (which of course is not the primary determiner of what makes money), but I think the film's appeal is not so Japan or "animu" specific as you seem to think.

China.

It is really popular in China.

It's also been in the theaters here in Japan since release. Thats about 6 months. I know a lot of people who have seen it at least two times thanks to word of mouth and people wanting to see it again with friends.

It's a good movie and I think its one that resonates extremely well here in Japan, as well as East Asia like China and Korea. Having themes about wanting to move to the big city, get away from traditions, away from family, and the simple life as well as the opposite. I think it really made a lot of people, especially the current generations of Japan think about it more or remember. It's a good movie, and deserves all the praise, even if I count myself in the "I enjoyed it but would not call it the best"

As another said, its a very Japanese movie in its themes, hence why it was talked about for a half year and still is even in January here.

Heck most of the movies on the most grossing list are not the best, but they hit at the right time for the right audience to make that $$$.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
By internationally, you mean outside Asia, right? Because the bulk of the reason Your Name passed Spirited Away in global revenue is because of its showing in China.

Oh. I thought those were the Japanese numbers. My bad.
I meant "outside of Japan", though really I was thinking about the West first and foremost. I mean, I know those movies don't do nearly as well in the West - even in my dear anime-loving France -, but still.
Btw I went to see the movie, so I'm obviously part of the problem :p.

Also, this is just hearsay, but I've heard that Your Name's UK showing did extremely well.

This isn't to say that Your Name deserves to be the highest grossing anime film of all time if we're going by artistic quality (which of course is not the primary determiner of what makes money), but I think the film's appeal is not so Japan or "animu" specific as you seem to think.

We'll see, but the results will be interesting to see no matter what they are.

Is it decent/good? Then it deserves its success.

There are far too many examples of good media bombing and terrible media being ridiculously successful for me to somehow expect that the best movies determine the most successful movies

Paches

Is this the one that every one is leaving the theater in tears over? I heard some anime movie is making everyone cry.

There was an English dub of this released in Australian cinemas last year. I didn't see it, I opted for the subbed session instead, so I can't speak for the quality. Absolutely loved the film though. I saw it again when I went to Japan over Christmas. The box office success is well deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom