• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Pokemon is the Highest grossing media franchise of all time

Ezquimacore

Banned
I knew Pokemon was big, but not this big. Basically Nintendo, Creatures Inc and GameFreak own the most powerful franchise in the world.
Now we can stop being surprised about Pokemon sales.
f02c60d2-25-highest-grossing-media-franchises-all-time-4-png

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I just watched a full grown 30 something man get off a train carrying what appears to be a 1 to 1 scale boxed model of a metallic silver Evee.

I am literally on that last train now heading home after having spent probably less than whatever it cost on getting pissed with the lads.

I can believe it.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Lets see, games that sell gangbusters for over 20 years. A long running cartoon, a motion picture, toys, merch, everything. I see it more in daily life than, say Star Wars.

In fact, I was surprised to see 18yr olds playing it in school class on their GB in '99.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Pokémon should sell the most it’s focused on animal like monster creatures that’s actually fun, the partnership with Nintendo is tight they need to work on the console games which would make it even more lethal.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I was amazed when I got back into video games that Pokemon was so big. From 01-2016 I hadn't heard anyone really talk about it anymore.

Yoboman

The amazing thing is how merchandise is almost everything with these franchises

Games, cards , anime? All dwarfed by the merchandise sales

That fist of the north star videogame revenue surely isn't correct though? Its saying it is bigger than Pokemon

Last edited:

Jeeves

This has been the case for years and years. Say what you will about its handling in recent years, but it's a franchise with remarkable reach that speaks to all kinds of people.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
All I see from that chart is that DISNEY is well positioned to control the cultural narrative for many more decades to come and Mickey Mouse isn't going public domain anytime soon.

Yep this the telltale sign that this whole graph is made up bullshit.

OP fucked up, this doesn't pass the smell test

The link is right there in the image: "video games" are Pachinko machines in the case of FOTNS. Also the chart is outdated (or just intentionally missing shit) as it lacks a few obvious franchises (The Simpsons was one I immediately raised my eye at being missing and was confirmed when going to the actual Wikipedia page).

Doom85

I havnt seen the hello kitty brand since the late 90s, early 2000

Which country? At least where I live in the US, I still see it plenty. I even got about 5 years ago at a convention a Hello Kitty plush dressed up as Chun-Li from Street Fighter.

ChrisB

From the source, they have Spiderman, Marvel, X-men, Avengers, and others separated from the Marvel Franchise, it's one universe I'd think they'd be calculated together. Same with separating out Superman, Batman, DC, DCEU, etc. Not saying they'd unseat pokemon but some of the other top players would be shifted.

Fist of the north star video game?
I remember a blog years ago about Hello Kitty NSFW woman’s products.

Last edited:

Yoboman

From the source, they have Spiderman, Marvel, X-men, Avengers, and others separated from the Marvel Franchise, it's one universe I'd think they'd be calculated together. Same with separating out Superman, Batman, DC, DCEU, etc. Not saying they'd unseat pokemon but some of the other top players would be shifted.
Marvel and DC are a company brand, the likes of Spiderman and Superman are the franchises

What you're saying is like combining Pokemon, Mario and all their other franchise under Nintendo

I know it’s probably obvious but it still warms my heart to see Dragonball on there. And just under Batman.
Now I feel cozy inside. Let’s all group hug 🤗.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Its a game for kids.

Look at youtube, see the amount of views on kids show.

Its crazy.

Robb

Gold Member
Iirc this has been the case for a long time.

But yeah, it’s kinda crazy, but so are a lot of things on that list.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
look again, everything on that list is for kids
not really.

I would say pokemon is the same market as hello kitty, mickey mouse, winnie the pooh and such.

But compared to harry potter and marvel? nahhhhh

Last edited:

Doom85

look again, everything on that list is for kids

Gundam is for kids?

Cool, if I ever have kids, I’m totally popping in a Gundam anime for them.

Kids (crying): Dad, why is everyone dying?!
Me: Shh, stop whining, some person on the Internet said this was for kids, so it should be fine.
Kids: AAAAHHHH!!!!! That’s a decapitated head! And look at the dead kids! Dad, we don’t want to watch this!
Me: Kids, please! When has somebody on the Internet ever been wrong?!

Ezquimacore

Banned
Gundam is for kids?

Cool, if I ever have kids, I’m totally popping in a Gundam anime for them.

Kids (crying): Dad, why is everyone dying?!
Me: Shh, stop whining, some person on the Internet said this was for kids, so it should be fine.
Kids: AAAAHHHH!!!!! That’s a decapitated head! And look at the dead kids! Dad, we don’t want to watch this!
Me: Kids, please! When has somebody on the Internet ever been wrong?!
I loved all those stuff when I was a kid, still love them as an adult. nothing wrong with liking things aimed for kids by the marketing teams. Look at spiderman, everyone loves spiderman these days.

Ezquimacore

Banned
not really.

I would say pokemon is the same market as hello kitty, mickey mouse, winnie the pooh and such.

But compared to harry potter and marvel? nahhhhh
those are aimed for kids too, maybe you're too insecure to like stuff aimed to a younger audience.

Top Bottom