• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Pokemon is the Highest grossing media franchise of all time

MrA

main-qimg-8759264a313b9e356f1981334b62e8f8-lq

Yep this the telltale sign that this whole graph is made up bullshit.

OP fucked up, this doesn't pass the smell test
whoever made the graph took the wikipedia data, most of which seems to have decent sources, then just kind of changed it to whatever they felt like
, fist of the north stars revenue comes mostly from pachinko according to the original source

Doom85

I loved all those stuff when I was a kid, still love them as an adult. nothing wrong with liking things aimed for kids by the marketing teams. Look at spiderman, everyone loves spiderman these days.

But you said it was FOR kids. The majority of Gundam is not. Just because certain kids watched it doesn’t change that. I had a few friends in elementary school who had watched the Friday the 13th movies, but that doesn’t make those movies “for kids”.

Also, I find the phrase “for kids” and such to be often misused. “For the whole family” is more appropriate for many things like Disney films, cartoon series, etc. as they have elements that can be appreciated by all ages, hell many have subtle references/jokes/innuendo that most kids won’t get. Something that would actually be “for kids” is legit kids’ stuff like Blues’ Clues or Dora the Explorer where the aim is 100% kids and no one else.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
those are aimed for kids too, maybe you're too insecure to like stuff aimed to a younger audience.
Young kids dont generally go to watch marvel movies or harry potter compared to pokemon

Pokemon suited for all ages. Its an IP that opens to a wider market audience.

Last edited:

bbeach123

There a lots of other famous franchise but I dont think many people would buy their merchandise , for example : the simpsons or south park...

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Same, i already saw some Hello kitty things but that extremely rare here... But Pokémon is everywhere...
Hello kitty includes all the other characters like pochacco and every other Sanrio character. Even to this day school girls love that stuff.

hello-kitty-and-friends-OGimage-1200x630-1.jpg

Last edited:

Fbh

Does Fist of the North Star have some really popular arcade games or pachinko?
According to that graph it derives 80% of it's value from videogames and it's bigger than Lord of the Rings, One Piece, James Bond, Toy Story and cars?

As for Pokemon, yeah it's big and it's also why no one will ever attempt to be a serious competition to it. Brand recognition is king, and the franchise has now been around for long enough to also take advantage of nostalgia. You can make a game that's 10 times better than any Pokemon game, but it will cost you 10 times more than what Nintendo is spending and you'll only sell maybe 10 or 20% as much as Pokemon.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

How Hello Kitty beats something like Harry Potter or Star Wars Ill never know.
Merch, Video games, movies, Comics etc all beaten by Hello Kitty Merch? Makes no sense

Notabueno

Banned
This is well known.

But Winnie the Pooh???? In front of Disney or Star Wars? WTF.

Also since when Fist of the Northstar which is an old discontinued manga//anime is this popular?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
DragonBall is on the list, all is well :messenger_sunglasses:

however theres no way in fuck that FOTS is more popular than DragonBall. Lmao im sorry but im calling BS on that

Kabelly

Young kids dont generally go to watch marvel movies or harry potter compared to pokemon

Pokemon suited for all ages. Its an IP that opens to a wider market audience.
what is this nonsense. Harry Potter's theatrical run was so hype for young people. You basically grew up with Harry Potter. The writing style of Harry Potter is fairly simplistic and easy to follow for the first few books.

"Lindsey Fraser, who had previously supplied one of the blurb comments,[16] wrote what is thought to be the first published review, in The Scotsman on 28 June 1997. She described Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone as "a hugely entertaining thriller" and Rowling as "a first-rate writer for children".

Lognor

Banned
not really.

I would say pokemon is the same market as hello kitty, mickey mouse, winnie the pooh and such.

But compared to harry potter and marvel? nahhhhh
Ehhh not really. There is massive cross over. Pokemon is somewhere in between. Hello Kitty, Mickey Mouse, Winnie the Pooh are for small kids mostly. There is no fighting, no semi complex plot lines, etc. Pokemon has more of that. They made a big budget Pokemon movie recently that was to appeal to all ages. Can't say the same for any of the other three you mentioned.

I'm just shocked that the vast majority of Pokemon revenues are from merchandise, which doesn't even include the trading cards. Crazy.

yurinka

I think these Star Wars numbers must be wrong. I feel they must be way higher in merchandising, games, box office and home entertainment to a point they should be at the top of the ranking.

Regarding Pokemon, it would be nice if they spent a tiny portion on this for gamedevs capable to properly modernize their games to have their own 'Breath of the Wild' equivalent. But I think they don't care because because whatever they do sell a shit ton of copies anyways and spending way less make the games more profitable.

Ezquimacore

Banned
How did Disney buy marvel and Lucas film for 4 billion each?!?!
When they buy companies is based on what they have and the value at the moment, not what they've made. In addition, Star Wars as a franchise was not in the best spot at that time. Same with marvel, was in 2009 after Iron Man

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Regular releases, consistent quality, spread among pretty much every kind of media, wide appeal among different ages, sexes, and any demographic that you can think of.
It makes perfect sense.

stickkidsam

Pokémon suffers from chronic comfort.

They're so successful that the people making it see raising the bar as a liability lol

STARSBarry

Gold Member
But you said it was FOR kids. The majority of Gundam is not. Just because certain kids watched it doesn’t change that. I had a few friends in elementary school who had watched the Friday the 13th movies, but that doesn’t make those movies “for kids”.

Naaa dude Gundam is for Kids, that's why the series goes out its way to include them as protagonists or side characters, so that they have someone to relate too.

Look at this scene for example.

Full of kids for them to relate too... maybe a few less by the end.

Last edited:

Petopia

Banned
I knew Pokemon was big, but not this big. Basically Nintendo, Creatures Inc and GameFreak own the most powerful franchise in the world.
Now we can stop being surprised about Pokemon sales.
f02c60d2-25-highest-grossing-media-franchises-all-time-4-png
you can say that but look at the quality produced in all of their games, thats saying alot (low effort maximum profit).

Kagey K

Banned
You know Gen Xers like pokemon, right?
Fucking right.

The first time I played Pokémon blue and a Pokémon evolved fucked me right up. I knew nothing of the franchise, but this made me a giant fan.

The anime and all the other stuff came later, but for a lot of Gen X gamers that was a game changer.

Especially with no youtube or online cheats, we had to work together to figure out this shit.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

I honestly find this kind of shocking. Can't argue the numbers though. Bigger than Star Wars ... insane ...

Kagey K

Banned
I honestly find this kind of shocking. Can't argue the numbers though. Bigger than Star Wars ... insane ...
Thats the difference between interactive and passive media.

The more you do, the more you feel like you take part in it.

Dr Bass

Thats the difference between interactive and passive media.

The more you do, the more you feel like you take part in it.
Star Wars goes way beyond the movies though. I’ve played a ton of Star Wars video games, read books as a kid, etc etc. I’ve never played a single Pokémon game personally.

But it just looks like Pokémon is another beast entirely, compared to … everything.

Kagey K

Banned
Star Wars goes way beyond the movies though. I’ve played a ton of Star Wars video games, read books as a kid, etc etc. I’ve never played a single Pokémon game personally.

But it just looks like Pokémon is another beast entirely, compared to … everything.
This is what all GAAS hope to be. It's obviously a high bar, and maybe now you can see why they are chasing that dream.

EVERY dev wants to be able to put out reiterating games, that make them money hand over fist and have media tie into it.

Top Bottom