• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The use of Gamecards tells me there will be a Switch Lite

Let's face it. The Switch hybrid does not make a very good handheld in its current form factor. It's bulky, has low battery life and is in 3 pieces. As it stands, it is no proper replacement for 3DS. It is more of a successor to Wii U.

Outside of hardcore Nintendo fans and kids, it will be very hard to convince people to carry around a large accessory along with a tablet, phone or laptop.

I think NIntendo is aware of its drawbacks and will release a Switch Lite (Lite Switch?) that will be a single, more compact unit, with no detachable joy-cons. At the same time I could see them making the joy-cons compatible with it for those that want the option.

The use of gamecards, to me, is a clear indication that Nintendo intends to make this move once they feel it will be cost-effective for them.
2 years from now, the Switch library should be big enough to make it a compelling option. The 3DS is doing well and will continue to facilitate that need of a compact handheld until the Switch Lite can.
With no dock or joy-cons bundled together, this should bring the cost down significantly. The gamecards are small enough and easily switchable between both forms. I'm convinced this is one of the main reasons Nintendo decided to go with them.

$199, Holiday 2018. Book it.

I mean... I think that's a likely scenario, but I don't think the use of Gamecards is necessarily why. The fact that the Switch is portable at all is what necessitated the use of game cards. You can't use optical discs on a portable console without them getting torn up by scratches or placed into a UMD-like casing, and I don't think anyone wanted Nintendo to revive the UMD.

There may well be such a thing but I don't see what the existence of gamecards has to do with it. What else are they supposed to use in a handheld device? Optical media? Lol no.

I mean, it has the exact same battery life as the 3DS and is slightly bigger than the 3DS XL, which is the more popular iteration, so your argument makes very little sense.

However, I do agree there will be a Switch lite. And I think the SD cards being limited to micro is more of an indication of that than the game cards.

maxcriden

I agree with you that there will be a Switch Lite, and I'm curious what they would call it. Surely it's not a Switch if it doesn't come with the ability to switch between devices. Perhaps the Nintendo Stay'r'Go name can be utilized after all, since you can stay or go with any handheld device.

I agree with you that there will be a Switch Lite, and I'm curious what they would call it. Surely it's not a Switch if it doesn't come with the ability to switch between devices. Perhaps the Nintendo Stay'r'Go name can be utilized after all, since you can stay or go with any handheld device.

Dock is already sold separately. So I think they will still allow that option.

They *could* still call it a "Switch" if Nintendo does this right and has it use cloud saves with the larger Switch. You'd 'switch' from your larger home Switch to your "Switch Lite" as you left the house.

Going all the way back to the Game Boy, only the DS launched in the second semester. So I doubt they would release a handheld during the holiday season.

Xdrive05

I don't see the form factor getting any smaller because the Joy Cons and probably the docks have to be the same size. But in a couple years could they make a hardware refresh that uses an updated/smaller SOC, with more room for a larger battery and maybe ditch the fan? Sure.

massoluk

Banned
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Switch TV (no screen, no tablet mode) come out as well and may be before your Lite version
If they wanna make a budget version, getting rid of the touchscreen would be the way to go

RPGam3r

I enjoy watching people try to sell themselves on this idea that a thing not yet in the market will have an entirely different form factor.

It is a handheld, it has decent battery life similar to that of the 3DS, and game cards make sense for portable machine that is not all digital.

Strider

I think Nintendo considers joycons extremely important to the switch experience and as a huge money maker for them as an accessory.

For that reason I don't expect there to be a handheld only switch with integrated controls like that. I definitely see them doing a cheaper "go" bundle without the dock and Joycon grip at some point though.

What a strange thread.

You're just echoing many, many people who have claimed a smaller form-factor Switch is coming.

The only new point here is your pointing towards the gamecards, which frankly are the only option to carry games for any handheld device.

Nah, if anything I see them releasing a beefed up version in 2019, reducing the price point of the base version to 199, while the new model stays the same price at 300 bucks.

That way they can make a lot more money with very limited investment.

Just like PS4 Pro.

Uh, yeah, I agree with others that the use of game cards is meaningless. It has to because it is portable. Spinning discs are not conducive to portability.

Heck it would need to be blu-ray sized in order to store modern games, a UMD sized disc would permanently limit them. Meanwhile cartridges are already at about the same storage capacity as a blu-ray.

Cards are not a predictor of a lite version of anything.

Nah, the Joycon stuff is probably gonna end up less like the 3DS's 3D (which already had an off switch to begin with) and more like the Wii U Gamepad in that Nintendo's gonna be too attached to them to actually get rid of them despite the fact that they could make the system cheaper and sell it to a lot more potential customers.

Lazaro

Nah, if anything I see them releasing a beefed up version in 2019, reducing the price point of the base version to 199, while the new model stays the same price at 300 bucks.

That way they can make a lot more money with very limited investment.

Just like PS4 Pro.

Yeah. I believe Nintendo will develop more powerful Switch devices every few years with NVidia.

Pachinko

It'll be closer to 2019 , as soon as they can make one for cheap enough I can see it happening. Games that need joycon motion controls will have to be played with proper full joycons.

I read the OP and I'm still not sure what your point about game cards is.

Switch lite may happen but let's just wait for the first model to release.

I think Nintendo considers joycons extremely important to the switch experience and as a huge money maker for them as an accessory.

For that reason I don't expect there to be a handheld only switch with integrated controls like that. I definitely see them doing a cheaper "go" bundle without the dock and Joycon grip at some point though.

The joy-cons are a gimmick that will not prove to be the reason to own a Switch. Unless you are expecting something like Wii Sports levels of adoption.

Like I mentioned in the OP, I could see Nintendo still allowing people to buy joy-cons separately for use with the Switch Lite for those that want the option. We are already seeing them allow for a standard control option with Arms.

Is there any game (outside 1,2 Switch) that forces the player to use joy-cons only?

I get that some people think the Switch is overpriced, but you've gotta lower your expectations here. Too many threads about Nintendo having a $199 Switch by 2018...

ffvorax

Well UMD on PSP was a terrible idea, really was another console when I passed to digital... so card on a portable like is something mandatory right now.
That is just why they choose them in my hopinion

FyreWulff

I have a feeling the Joy cons are going to be compatible with at least the next couple of consoles going forward. They had a needed reset of the base level motion detection you could depend on. Even on wii u you mostly had to accomodate base launch Wiimote.

maxcriden

Dock is already sold separately. So I think they will still allow that option.

Sorry, I was unclear. I agree they'd still have that option. (The Stay'r'Go part was a dumb joke I like to make.) But if it's not a Switch out of the box, I'm not sure they would call it a Switch when it's just a handheld when you buy the product itself. Maybe there would be a word in the title, like "Switch Handheld."

They *could* still call it a "Switch" if Nintendo does this right and has it use cloud saves with the larger Switch. You'd 'switch' from your larger home Switch to your "Switch Lite" as you left the house.

I was thinking that, but it seems like that significant difference in what the Switch name would mean from ine product to another could lead to fan outcry.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I like its versatility. They can make a fused unit with no detachable controllers, but I would it to be inferior.

To me one of the benefits is being able to prop the screen up on a table and play with the joycons. As for the size, I don't see how they could've gone any smaller.

bomblord1

Banned
Battery Life would be worsened with a smaller unit.

Battery life is the same as the OG 3DS so I'm not sure how that makes it not a proper replacement.

Switch tablet is no larger than the 3DS XL.

Detachable joycons makes the portable experience better not worse as you can set it up on a table anywhere and have a more comfortable experience.

A unit with no detachable joycons would make some games unplayable so I can't see that ever happening. At the very least 1 2 Switch atm.

I mean, it has the exact same battery life as the 3DS and is slightly bigger than the 3DS XL, which is the more popular iteration, so your argument makes very little sense.

However, I do agree there will be a Switch lite. And I think the SD cards being limited to micro is more of an indication of that than the game cards.

Good point about the micro SD cards.

No need for any tea leaves, really. Iwata already told us that NX will be a family of systems like iOS devices a few years ago. Yes, there will be additional form factors.

Berordn

Detachable joycons makes the portable experience better not worse as you can set it up on a table anywhere and have a more comfortable experience.

A unit with no detachable joycons would make some games unplayable so I can't see that ever happening. At the very least 1 2 Switch atm.

No detachable joycons wouldn't necessarily prevent you from pairing additional ones, but I agree that it seems to be antithetical to the system's premise.

If it does happen, I wouldn't see it being anywhere near launch.

Hattori

Banned
I rather they make a Switch XL same everything but 40% smaller bezels, higher capacity battery, and quick charge 2.0

I disagree. The New 3DS XL moved to micro SD cards only, and that was bigger than standard-size 3DSs, along with regular New 3DSs as well. It didn't indicate anything about the size of the system.

Interesting... I'm very curious why standard SD cards aren't compatible. Does it have to do with SD card read speeds? Or does a normal size SD card slot take up that much more room than a microSD card slot, which Nintendo just couldn't find a way to fit?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Battery life is similar to the 3DS.
Carts are the only medium that would work on a handheld.
Nintendo has hopefully learned enough to not split their ecosystem again with wildly different devices.

I don't see this happening. The cost of the switch in holiday 2018 will be 199. It'll have been two years by then. Book that?

bomblord1

Banned
Interesting... I'm very curious why standard SD cards aren't compatible. Does it have to do with SD card read speeds? Or does a normal size SD card slot take up that much more room than a microSD card slot, which Nintendo just couldn't find a way to fit?

I think it's just more of it's just a standard. Both my 8" Android and Windows Tablets have Micro SD slots instead of full sized ones and they are much larger than the Switch.

This doesn't really make sense to me, at least from the whole "detachable joycons" perspective. This would totally mess up their brand name for the system, and it would totally break certain games like 1-2 Switch and Snipperclips, or any multiplayer game you'd want to play in tabletop mode. I'd say we're more likely to get a Switch as is, with a slightly bigger battery and sans the dock than anything else in a couple years. Then, they may also sell a "Pro" dock, and then people can choose which dock they'd rather own.

Felensis

Banned
Iwata said years ago in a Investor's Q&A (I think it was back in 2014) that Nintendo want to adopt a model akin to Apple and it's iOS devices or Google and all the Android devices. A family of devices running the same OS.
I think this is exactly what will happen - there will be a handheld-only Switch running the same OS with the same games. I would also bet 2018, because the 3DS still is selling and has some big titles coming for this year.

Most likely to reduce the amount of space taken up in the unit to make room for larger circuit board or battery. But then...original 3DS had a telescoping stylus, and New 3DS has a full size one. So who knows how much space they really saved.

Outside of hardcore Nintendo fans and kids, it will be very hard to convince people to carry around a large accessory along with a tablet, phone or laptop.

Fixed. Smaller, Switch-compatible handheld launching in two years is a great idea, but let's not act like it has to happen. People who already carry a bag may not see added value here. If they carry a phone (what an if) they may even see removed value here.

Top Bottom