• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got a Switch lite, what to get?

A.Romero

I just got a Switch Lite for my birthday and I'm pretty lost at what to play. I haven't had a a Nintendo console since the N64 (except for an used 3DS I got a few years back).

Not big on portable gaming but willing to give it a chance. I was given two games with it: street fighter collection (tried it but not big on the controls) and Witcher 3 (already played it for 200 hours on PC) and downloaded a couple of demos (Metroid dread and Octopath).

Interested in more games but Switch games are expensive as hell so don't want to risk it.

As a reference I enjoyed Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, spiderman, god of war, shadow of the colossus, final fantasy xvi, metal gear... I'm big on good stories and I'm a graphics whore but can do without them.

I rather play multiplat games on PC or PS5, I'm suscribed to gamepass for PC and have a wide steam library.

I want to be seen playing the thing as to make the person who gave it to me feel good but I'm in for a good time too.

BTW last time I played a Zelda game was ocarina of time and didn't finish it, couldn't get into it. Never played Pokemon but the premise doesn't sound that interesting. Not big on platformers either.

Help me GAF, I don't really trust reviewers.

Hudo

Not following. This is an enthusiast community I've been part of for I think 15 years, I know a lot of people know what they are talking about and do it out of joy. At least for me discussions here are more interesting than "best 10 switch games" lists.
Well, good luck! All I can say is that if you take the average of most of the Top 10 list, you get quite the good selection of Switch games except for some niche titles that may or may not be your cup of tea, like Astral Chain or 13 Sentinels.

But if you aren't interested in platformers, Zelda and Pokemon then I am not sure why you bought Switch. Try Xenoblade DE, Metroid Prime Remaster and Mario Kart 8, I guess.

Edit: Also: Advance Wars >>>> Fire Emblem

Last edited:

A.Romero

Well, good luck! All I can say is that if you take the average of most of the Top 10 list, you get quite the good selection of Switch games except for some niche titles that may or may not be your cup of tea, like Astral Chain or 13 Sentinels.

But if you aren't interested in platformers, Zelda and Pokemon then I am not sure why you bought Switch. Try Xenoblade DE, Metroid Prime Remaster and Mario Kart 8, I guess.
Thanks for the recommendations!

Didn't buy it, got it as a gift from someone that knows that I'm into gaming and knows I have a lot of stuff but doesn't know much more.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Get Breath of the Wild and/or Tears of the Kingdom. You’ll love ‘em.

I mean, honestly just get any first-party titles. Nintendo games aren’t generally huge on story, but they’re often have insanely fun gameplay. Though if you don’t mind weeb shit, I’ve heard the new fire emblem games have great stories and atmosphere. Xenoblade games are also super weeby, but have fantastic stories, exploration, and gameplay.

Beyond that, just make sure you get Mario Odyssey, Metroid Dread, Metroid Prime Remastered, and Mario Kart.

Edit: Oh wait, scratch Mario Kart if you’ve got a Switch lite. That game is just good to have around as a party game, but it’s not as good as a single player experience.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Get Breath of the Wild and/or Tears of the Kingdom. You’ll love ‘em.

I mean, honestly just get any first-party titles. Nintendo games aren’t generally huge on story, but they’re often insanely fun. If you don’t mind weeb shit, I’ve heard the new fire emblem games have great stories and atmosphere. Xenoblade games are also super weeby, but have fantastic stories, exploration, and gameplay.

Beyond that, just make sure you get Mario Odyssey, Metroid Dread, Metroid Prime Remastered, and Mario Kart.
Thanks! I'll look into them, specially fire emblem.

Hudo

Thanks!

Didn't think about shin Megami tensei.
SMT5 is also a niche title that may or may not be your cup of tea, it's not something that I'd recommend without reservations. So is Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, btw (which I think has better combat but if you aren't into J-Pop/idol stuff at all then you won't be happy with the game)

A.Romero

SMT5 is also a niche title that may or may not be your cup of tea, it's not something that I'd recommend without reservations. So is Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, btw (which I think has better combat but if you aren't into J-Pop/idol stuff at all then you won't be happy with the game)
Thanks. This gives me a good starting point.

Are switch games sales good?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Thanks. This gives me a good starting point.

Are switch games sales good?
Third-party sales are great on switch. First-party sales basically don’t exist (they do, they’re just shit).

Check out dekudeals.com

You should definitely play astral chain if you like character action + detective investigations. It runs very well in portable so it's a great get for the lite and has a dope soundtrack as well!

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
TOTK should be your starting point.

Other games I've enjoyed on the system:

• Metroid prime remastered
  • Metroid Dread
  • Shin Megami Tensei V
  • Pikmin 3
  • Fast RMX
Yes its all true my friends these are great games now you must play fzero99 and we can do a buddy cop movie

w=320

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
There’s so much good stuff. I’d personally just skim through Metacrtic’s best-of-all-times list and go for games in genres you enjoy.

As for Zelda, I’d definitely give the new ones a go. They are very different from past entires (and really really reaaaally good).
what in the no points at all in playing BOTW after TOTK its jurst the tech demo

OP dont get BOTW only TOTK

Bernoulli

M2 slut
if was you i would sell it and wait for the 2, no point playing now this close to the 2 release and it should be compatible with switch games

Robb

Gold Member
what in the no points at all in playing BOTW after TOTK its jurst the tech demo

OP dont get BOTW only TOTK
Only depends on the time at hand imo. TotK is better for sure so if you can only play one of them I’d recommend that as well, but BotW is still very good imo.

I don’t think I share the opinion that BotW is a skip just because TotK exists. Different powers, different puzzles, etc. etc.

cireza

Congrats, you got a Switch with a d-pad. Thus I recommend games such as Aleste Collection or the Neo Geo Pocket Collection, they are must have to play on the go, with big, clear graphics. Definitely try out Shiren 5+, game is a masterpiece :)

Both Curse of the Moon games and Sonic Mania, as well as the excellent Dragon's Trap remake. Collection of Mana is nice too.

There are also some nice VNs to try out, like Steins Gate and Anonymous Code more recently.

Yeah, on a handheld console, I personally avoid big 3D TV action games. I prefer 2D and things that are easy to read and play.

Last edited:

acm2000

If you like Nintendo games, all of those, otherwise I'm not sure going by your list in the OP you will struggle to find anything worth your time.

I've had a Switch since day 1 but recently got a Lite because the OLED is way too heavy and uncomfortable to play in handheld mode. Great console but i hated playing it in handheld so that's why I sold it to get a Lite.

Anyway, for whatever it's worth to you, I have been slowly selling my games because the Switch is near its end and the only games I've kept because I just can't let them go are Breath of the Wild, Tears of the Kingdom, Shin Megami Tensei V, and Mario 3D World.

Haven't played Pokemon Arceus or Scarlet/Violet so can't speak for them. I will probably pick Arceus up at some point. If you want a simple pokemon game to play I'd highly recommend Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee. That has been my favourite Pokemon game on Switch. It's a remake of Pokemon Yellow and incorporates some things from Pokemon Go hence the name. I'm thinking about buying it again.

Mario Odyssey I'd recommend. Animal Crossing New Horizons if you're into that kind of thing.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
TOTK should be your starting point.

Other games I've enjoyed on the system:

• Metroid prime remastered
  • Metroid Dread
  • Shin Megami Tensei V
  • Pikmin 3
  • Fast RMX
Hard disagree with TOTK as being the starting point on a Switch Lite with the toy joysticks. Really will damper the experience and can be frustrating.

I recommend slower paced games. Standard JRPGs, indie games that are not movement intensive, etc… The Lite’s joysticks are just awful for anything with a lot of movement required I found.

Regginator

Despite what some people may think here, most of the time GAF lines up perfectly well with mainstream critics. That's why most here - including me - will recommend Zelda BOTW, TOTK, Mario Odyssey, Metroid Dread and Prime Remastered, Ori and the Blind Forest and The Will of the Wisps, Bayonetta 2, etc. etc., and not some obscure-ass niche game that sold 10K copies in Japan or whatever.

So in that spirit, check this out. Play the essentials.

Also, why the hell did you get the Lite? Should've gone for the regular Switch. Even if you plan to play on it on handheld mode exclusively, at least you'd have options to get better joycons (like the ones from Hori).

Last edited:

Billbofet

Slay the Spire
Monster Train
Into the Breach
First party Zelda, Mario, Metroid

The first three I adore so much due to the hybrid nature of the console, as you can get them on other consoles, but they shine on the Switch

I'll second Astral Chain. The combat system takes a bit too long to get going, but I was swooned by its top-notch visual design and world building right away. A real workout for your share button.
Splatoon 2-3. There seems to be a stereotype that Splatoon is a MP-only game, but their single-player campaigns are great fun. And very funny, especially if it's your first go in that universe.
Also, Fire Emblem series, Luigi's Mansion 3, Paper Mario Origami King.

Interfectum

So much stuff...

- Zelda: BotW
- Zelda: Links Awakening Remake
- Mario vs Rabbids
- Metroid Dread
- SNES App*
- GBA App*
- N64 App*
- Tetris 99*
- F-Zero 99*
- Dave the Diver (Coming Soon)
- Animal Crossing
- Xenoblade Chronicles
- Kirby and the Forgotten Land
- Advance Wars 1+2
- Luigi's Mansion 3 (just in time for Halloween)

*requires Nintendo online sub

I'll second Astral Chain. The combat system takes a bit too long to get going, but I was swooned by its top-notch visual design and world building right away. A real workout for your share button.
Splatoon 2-3. There seems to be a stereotype that Splatoon is a MP-only game, but their single-player campaigns are great fun. And very funny, especially if it's your first go in that universe.
Also, Fire Emblem series, Luigi's Mansion 3, Paper Mario Origami King.
astral chain was a load of fun.

i only played Fire Emblem on 3DS or DS i can't remember it was "awakening" or some shit. What game would you recommend to play on Switch?

I do have Tokyo Mirage FE Encore (not sure if that's the full proper name) but i think it's a crossover. I only got it because it's ATLUS/Shin Megami Tensei spin off. I've still to play it.

Last edited:

Smasher89

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive edition, since you seem to like RPGs and story (GOAT story in Xenoblade 1-3, i might undersell it)

killatopak

I love SMT5. Actually even have a steelcase of it. I just don’t think I can recommend it to someone without them knowing how mainline SMT is. The hook is on the battle system. Narrative wise, there’s very little to push you forward. They’re basically scattered breadcrumbs.

As for recommendation, try the Fire Emblem games.

GHG

Hard disagree with TOTK as being the starting point on a Switch Lite with the toy joysticks. Really will damper the experience and can be frustrating.

I recommend slower paced games. Standard JRPGs, indie games that are not movement intensive, etc… The Lite’s joysticks are just awful for anything with a lot of movement required I found.

I've never played on the lite so have no idea about that to be honest. Didn't realise there's that big of a difference in terms of the controls.

Chukhopops

As a reference I enjoyed Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, spiderman, god of war, shadow of the colossus, final fantasy xvi, metal gear... I'm big on good stories and I'm a graphics whore but can do without them.
Since you mention two action games Bayonetta 3 and Astral Chain are easy recommendations. They have a complex learning curve (especially AC since you control two characters at once most of the time) but being good at those is very satisfying.

I would also recommend Ys VIII as a good action RPG with a great and somewhat original story. Do not try Ys IX on the Switch as it runs like shit unfortunately.

i only played Fire Emblem on 3DS or DS i can't remember it was "awakening" or some shit.
If you liked awakening, the new Fire Emblem Engage might be more up your alley.
FE Three Houses kinda overloaded itself with Persona-like elements and new systems to the point of breaking the old ones. But it's a fine game, the whole tutoring system initially seems like something bloated that you wanna leave on "auto" setting (which you can do), but I did end up building out every student of mine manually.
So if you like the 3DS FE games, Engage is a safe pick, as it's a pretty straight-forward follow-up.
If you like Persona games, or just wanna try something new, go with Three Houses.
Or try them both.

Fake

I can't recommend enough Nintendo first party, but there are others games as well.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Pikmin, Doom 64, Mario 3D World, Dragon Quest, Fast RMX, RE4/REmake.

Inanilmaz

Just go through some top lists and watch some gameplay vids and trust your guts. If you don't like what you see don't buy it.
I bought this games and liked it:

Super Mario Odyssey
Animal Crossing
Donkey Kong- Tropical Freeze
Zelda- Link's Awakening
Bayonetta 1&2
Pikmin
Pokemon let's go Pikachu & Pokemon Pearl (both games only with selfmade handicap/challenging rules tho, without it its just easy like shit)

Kirby and the forgotten land (haven't bought yet but want to)
Another Code (not released yet)

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It seems like you enjoy narrative driven action-adventure games. I believe there aren't many examples of this kind on the Switch. I can recommend Zelda TOTK though, it is superb. You can also try Bayonetta games(I only played the first one and it was very good). I heard good things about Astral Chain too. If they don't appeal to you, sell your Switch asap, it's probably not for you:messenger_beaming:

If you don't want to sell it, you can try some of these awesome games; Hollow Knight, Into The Breach, Darkest Dungeon, Rogue Legacy 2 and Shin Megami Tensei 5.

A.Romero

if was you i would sell it and wait for the 2, no point playing now this close to the 2 release and it should be compatible with switch games
Can´t do that. It was a gift from someone close to me.

Congrats, you got a Switch with a d-pad. Thus I recommend games such as Aleste Collection or the Neo Geo Pocket Collection, they are must have to play on the go, with big, clear graphics. Definitely try out Shiren 5+, game is a masterpiece :)

Both Curse of the Moon games and Sonic Mania, as well as the excellent Dragon's Trap remake. Collection of Mana is nice too.

There are also some nice VNs to try out, like Steins Gate and Anonymous Code more recently.

Yeah, on a handheld console, I personally avoid big 3D TV action games. I prefer 2D and things that are easy to read and play.
Solid recommendations, thanks a lot.

Despite what some people may think here, most of the time GAF lines up perfectly well with mainstream critics. That's why most here - including me - will recommend Zelda BOTW, TOTK, Mario Odyssey, Metroid Dread and Prime Remastered, Ori and the Blind Forest and The Will of the Wisps, Bayonetta 2, etc. etc., and not some obscure-ass niche game that sold 10K copies in Japan or whatever.

So in that spirit, check this out. Play the essentials.

Also, why the hell did you get the Lite? Should've gone for the regular Switch. Even if you plan to play on it on handheld mode exclusively, at least you'd have options to get better joycons (like the ones from Hori).
It was a gift, I would have gone for the regular one too. I forgot about Bayo, thanks!
So much stuff...

- Zelda: BotW
- Zelda: Links Awakening Remake
- Mario vs Rabbids
- Metroid Dread
- SNES App*
- GBA App*
- N64 App*
- Tetris 99*
- F-Zero 99*
- Dave the Diver (Coming Soon)
- Animal Crossing
- Xenoblade Chronicles
- Kirby and the Forgotten Land
- Advance Wars 1+2
- Luigi's Mansion 3 (just in time for Halloween)

*requires Nintendo online sub
Thanks! Is the sub worth it?

Slay the Spire
Monster Train
Into the Breach
First party Zelda, Mario, Metroid

The first three I adore so much due to the hybrid nature of the console, as you can get them on other consoles, but they shine on the Switch
Interesting. I've only heard about Into the Breach out of those first three. Thanks!

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive edition, since you seem to like RPGs and story (GOAT story in Xenoblade 1-3, i might undersell it)
I'll give Xenoblade a go. I got to try it on 3DS but the console was not very comfortable enough for long periods of time (I only used it when travelling)

Since you mention two action games Bayonetta 3 and Astral Chain are easy recommendations. They have a complex learning curve (especially AC since you control two characters at once most of the time) but being good at those is very satisfying.

I would also recommend Ys VIII as a good action RPG with a great and somewhat original story. Do not try Ys IX on the Switch as it runs like shit unfortunately.
I forgot Bayo got sequels on Switch. Definitely going on my list. Astral Chain looks pretty interesting too.

It seems like you enjoy narrative driven action-adventure games. I believe there aren't many examples of this kind on the Switch. I can recommend Zelda TOTK though, it is superb. You can also try Bayonetta games(I only played the first one and it was very good). I heard good things about Astral Chain too. If they don't appeal to you, sell your Switch asap, it's probably not for you:messenger_beaming:

If you don't want to sell it, you can try some of these awesome games; Hollow Knight, Into The Breach, Darkest Dungeon, Rogue Legacy 2 and Shin Megami Tensei 5.
Yeah, can't sell it but I got pretty good ideas from this thread. Thanks for the suggestions!

Top Bottom