• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuurai no shiren for DS is...hardcore.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I have to admit, I'm a newb to the roguelike genre. My first roguelike was "The Nightmare of Druaga" for the PS2. After that I dabbled a little in the pokemon games for DS, which never really grabbed my attention, and I also played nethack a few times. Fuurai no shiren is another in the line of "Fushigi no Dungeon" titles to be released on the DS, and it's a lot more Nethack than it is Pokemon. The game has PC roguelike staples like fast movement, multiple multiple death screens, and random everything. New to this game (I'm probably totally wrong, I can't remember if druaga had this) is diagonal movement. When you die in this game you lose all your equipment and money and your character goes back to level 1, which is apparently standard for the genre. The death screens can be really funny as the game gives you a bit of freedom. For instance, the last time I died, I was throwing items at the owner of an item store, then I walked up to him and started punching him, he was not pleased so he beat the shit out of me and I died. Thus I got the "Tried to rob the item shop but got his ass kicked." game over screen, followed by my stats for that particular instance. It's a horrible feeling to have to give up some of the badass items you got because you got a little randy and started beating up merchants. Eventually though, I aim to kill that ****er and steal all the items for myself! Eat it!

From what I understand most PC roguelikes are similar to pen and paper rpgs because of their robust classes. Unfortunately, from what I can tell, theres only 1 character class in Fuurai no Shiren. but there are magic items and "range" items like bows scattered throughout the game. The nice thing is that you can equip a sword shield and bow all at the same time. You can't equip magic wands though, I don't think. You may be able to assign them to the L button but I haven't checked. Level ups come fairly often as you start every dungeon at level 1, which makes playing the game quite rewarding.

As for typical game stuff, the graphics are okay I guess, it's 2D. The colors are rather subdued and give it almost a genesis look because of the use of brown. The cutscene direction is actually pretty good, but there was only one cutscene at the beginning so i dunno how much of a factor that will be. As for the sound, BGM is pretty standard "Japanese" music with Japanese instruments playing some sort of forgetable but not irritating tune in the background. Other sound effects are pretty much unspectacular, but the level up chime is pretty rad.

The game has a few cool things like online monthly leaderboards and a "legendary" board which I assume just collects the best scores out there. There are a lot of fun stat tracking things. The game even has achievments! 68 of them to be exact! You don't get gamer points though, and they don't tell you what they are before hand, but it's fun to see your milestones. There's also a wifi mode, but you need friend codes to use it and I'm pretty sure it's just for item sharing or something goofy like that.

Anyway, I don't know if this is coming to america, it might because its being published by sega, but if it does buy it. It's a fun game thats good for marathons and for short plays.

Teasel

sp0rsk said:
I have to admit, I'm a newb to the roguelike genre. My first roguelike was "The Nightmare of Druaga" for the PS2. After that I dabbled a little in the pokemon games for DS, which never really grabbed my attention, and I also played nethack a few times. Fuurai no shiren is another in the line of "Fushigi no Dungeon" titles to be released on the DS, and it's a lot more Nethack than it is Pokemon. The game has PC roguelike staples like fast movement, multiple multiple death screens, and random everything. New to this game (I'm probably totally wrong, I can't remember if druaga had this) is diagonal movement. When you die in this game you lose all your equipment and money and your character goes back to level 1, which is apparently standard for the genre. The death screens can be really funny as the game gives you a bit of freedom. For instance, the last time I died, I was throwing items at the owner of an item store, then I walked up to him and started punching him, he was not pleased so he beat the shit out of me and I died. Thus I got the "Tried to rob the item shop but got his ass kicked." game over screen, followed by my stats for that particular instance. It's a horrible feeling to have to give up some of the badass items you got because you got a little randy and started beating up merchants. Eventually though, I aim to kill that ****er and steal all the items for myself! Eat it!

From what I understand most PC roguelikes are similar to pen and paper rpgs because of their robust classes. Unfortunately, from what I can tell, theres only 1 character class in Fuurai no Shiren. but there are magic items and "range" items like bows scattered throughout the game. The nice thing is that you can equip a sword shield and bow all at the same time. You can't equip magic wands though, I don't think. You may be able to assign them to the L button but I haven't checked. Level ups come fairly often as you start every dungeon at level 1, which makes playing the game quite rewarding.

As for typical game stuff, the graphics are okay I guess, it's 2D. The colors are rather subdued and give it almost a genesis look because of the use of brown. The cutscene direction is actually pretty good, but there was only one cutscene at the beginning so i dunno how much of a factor that will be. As for the sound, BGM is pretty standard "Japanese" music with Japanese instruments playing some sort of forgetable but not irritating tune in the background. Other sound effects are pretty much unspectacular, but the level up chime is pretty rad.

The game has a few cool things like online monthly leaderboards and a "legendary" board which I assume just collects the best scores out there. There are a lot of fun stat tracking things. The game even has achievments! 68 of them to be exact! You don't get gamer points though, and they don't tell you what they are before hand, but it's fun to see your milestones. There's also a wifi mode, but you need friend codes to use it and I'm pretty sure it's just for item sharing or something goofy like that.

Anyway, I don't know if this is coming to america, it might because its being published by sega, but if it does buy it. It's a fun game thats good for marathons and for short plays.

1. Don't try to kill the merchant,you will never get strong enough to beat him fair and square (well ok maybe if you get a +99 equipment),he doesn't give any exp and there are tons of way to steal from a shop... using a thief pot would be the best way since that doesn't count as picking the item so the merchant doesn't notice you,you could also transform the merchant into a weaker monster by throwing a monster meat at him and then defeat him though this way when you leave the shop guard will chase you,they are as bad as the merchant only they move at double speed and there are 2 of them,if you are in a dungeon you could also dig a tunnel with a pickaxe to the shop from the exit or you could use the scroll that make the dungeon a single big room and then move the merchant away from the exit with a swap place or push back staff and this won't trigger the guard since the dungeon is now a huge shop room,if you are getting chased by monsters and you pick something the merchant will block the exit so not only this is a great way to rest but sometimes the monster attack the merchant so that would be an idea for weakening him

2. actualy if you equip arrows you can shot them with L,there was no way to assign a wand to a button in the snes version so i don't think you can do that

3. wi-fi mode is for rescue mode,if you get killed you can ask a friend to rescue you,the friend get cool extra item and you can restart from where you got killed

4. are you doing the fei's problem? you get some nice items and most of the time you learn a thing or two

i sooooooo want this game to reach usa,the snes fan translated version was so awesome! :(

Aeana

I'm still waiting on my copy of this game, but the SFC game was incredible. It was definitely one of the hardest mysterious dungeon games I've played. The wi-fi stuff in this version sounds awesome; I can't wait to try it out.

As for the game coming to North America, I wouldn't hold my breath. Games like this do pretty poorly there (with the apparent exception of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, but we all know why that game sold). People are still waiting on DQ Yangus. :\

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Wow, this sounds fantastic... so fantastic that I doubt it'll come out over here, but I'll keep my hopes up anyway!

Xristot

Damnit! I want this game to come to NA but I know it probably won't. Is the language barrier going to be a problem with this game? I just wanted to know if importing is an option.

ethelred

distantmantra said:
Has SE given us an answer on this? Yes? No?

The silence should be taken as a pretty strong "no."

Between that, DQV, and FM5, they really screwed us westerners out of some promising games on the PS2... :/

Bebpo

Banned
ethelred said:
The silence should be taken as a pretty strong "no."

Between that, DQV, and FM5, they really screwed us westerners out of some promising games on the PS2... :/

Expect it to happen again on the DS (already is with no Eggmonster Heroes, or Itadaki Street probably. Will Chocobo make it?) and the PS3 and Wii and every system with Square Enix games. They make a lot of games they don't feel would 'work' with a US audience so they don't bring them over and refuse to allow others to bring them over.

jarrod

Banned
Bebpo said:
Expect it to happen again on the DS (already is with no Eggmonster Heroes, or Itadaki Street probably. Will Chocobo make it?) and the PS3 and Wii and every system with Square Enix games. They make a lot of games they don't feel would 'work' with a US audience so they don't bring them over and refuse to allow others to bring them over.
I've already braced myself for Front Mission DS but I swear to god, if they try to back out of DQMJ now that they've got DQ9 in the wings... heads will F-ing ROLL!!!!1!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Bebpo said:
Wasn't Egg Monster Heroes crappy though?

lupin23rd

How does this game compare to the original Fuurai no Shiren (for SFC)?

I bought that game in Japan, and it looked cool and was fun, but I had no idea WTF Rogue was and didn't understand the game, later traded it in a huge blockbuster deal with a few other SFC games and picked up a bunch of DC imports.

Any links to videos / pics?

m

Bebpo said:

Chocobo's Storybook is on its way.

Xristot

so...sorry for asking again, but is this game import friendly? I know that its mostly in japanese. I know all my hiragana (though my vocabulary sucks). Can I get through this, even not knowing most of the story line?

Pellham

Banned
I don't think you can enjoy the game without knowing Japanese. If you really want to try it out, get the Pokemon's Mysterious Dungeon game that came out here. Same developer same gameplay, just using Pokemon.

Xristot

Pellham said:
I don't think you can enjoy the game without knowing Japanese. If you really want to try it out, get the Pokemon's Mysterious Dungeon game that came out here. Same developer same gameplay, just using Pokemon.

but can you harass the merchants in the pokemon game? :(

Dragona Akehi said:
Chocobo's Storybook is on its way.

Is that a "I am confident that Chocobo's storybook will be localized due to logical deduction" on-its-way or a "I have information neener neener" on-its-way? :)

ethelred

Bebpo said:

Chocobo will make it. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo publish Itadaki in the US, since it has Mario in it.

That leaves only one game for the DS unpublished in the US (Egg Monster Hero).

Teasel

Xristot said:
so...sorry for asking again, but is this game import friendly? I know that its mostly in japanese. I know all my hiragana (though my vocabulary sucks). Can I get through this, even not knowing most of the story line?
well as long as you can recognize items and monster (some items let you transform into a monster and it wouldn't be a good thing using one of them thinking you will transform in a dragon and instead you transform into a puny mamul) it's playable but there are some quest and it's hard to understand what a monster does to you if you don't understand the text (did i got poisoned? cursed? though after a while you can start to understand it anyway) the story is basicaly non existent (unless they added something big,but i don't think that happened)
How does this game compare to the original Fuurai no Shiren (for SFC)?
this is the original Fuurai no Shiren for SFC only with better graphics,more item,more quest,more monster
If you really want to try it out, get the Pokemon's Mysterious Dungeon
for god sake! no! pokemon mysterious dungeon is missing 1) variety with the monsters 2) items 3) and the most important thing,the difficulty of the original
if you have to try the game get the fan translated version of the original game for SFC or torneko mysterious dungeon for PS1 (though i still think the original is better than torneko at least torneko does a good job of giving a similiar experience)

Aeana

Finally got my copy. I forgot how awesome Sugiyama's stuff for this is. It's so different from his usual Dragon Quest music, but it's so rad.

I don't remember the tutorial dungeon at the start of the game being in the SFC game. Was it? I haven't played it in quite some time.

I shouldn't have started this, though; I really need to finish Twilight Princess first! I love this game. :( It's probably the only mysterious dungeon game I like more than DQ Yangus.

Top Bottom