• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Unfiltered: Obsidian's Feargus on the other other Fallout 3, Deus Ex HR2 and more

berzeli

Banned
Youtube link because seriously IGN what is wrong with your player.

IGN posted another in their longform interview series, this time with Feargus Urquhart of Black Isle and Obsidian fame. As always Feargus makes for a terrific interviewee and they discuss amongst other things:
  • How there was another Fallout 3 before Van Buren (!)
  • That Square Enix originally approached Obsidian to do Deus Ex Human revolution 2 (!!)
  • How Stormlands got cancelled (intended to be a launch title for the xbone) and how it ended up being Tyranny
  • Aliens: Crucible (leaked footage here)
  • That metacritic bonus
  • And of course Pillars of Eternity and crowfunding
Y'all should give it a listen, I can never get enough of Feargus discussing the industry and there is some really interesting titbits in there.

That Square Enix originally approached Obsidian to do Deus Ex Human revolution 2 (!!)

AnchoredBeneficialBushbaby-size_restricted.gif

I didnt need to know that.

If SE was looking at outsourcing the followup to HR that might explain why a sequel took so long to finally arrive though.

MartyStu

That Square Enix originally approached Obsidian to do Deus Ex Human revolution 2 (!!)

AnchoredBeneficialBushbaby-size_restricted.gif

I didnt need to know that.

If SE was looking at outsourcing the followup to HR that might explain why a sequel took so long to finally arrive though.

I am in the same boat.

I am having a really hard time processing what that could have been.

DirtyCase

Would this Obsidian made Deus Ex HR2 have been on the HR game engine? Most likely.

Couldve been the Fall Out New Vegas of the Deus Ex franchise.

I would've very much liked to have seen/played that.

*Edit*
Secrets are secrets for a reason. The world was a better place before I knew this.

Wake me up.

Can't wake up.

Stranya

So if theyre now busy with tomb raider and guardians, I wonder if they'll approach Obsidian again?
Oh god, please let this happen. Give them the story that is clearly already written for part 3 and let them create a masterpiece.

Of course, it won't fucking happen.

jtb

Banned
Man, don't think I would be able to listen to this without breaking into an emotional trainwreck. We were so close...

HereticJ

Thanks for the head's up OP. Good god...Obsidian Deus Ex HR 2 would have been fucking incredible.

Almost wish I could take back knowing about the possibility.

BlondeTuna

Deus Ex Human Revolution part 2 by Obsidian. Dear god. Hurts even more considering that the plot was one of the weakest aspects of Mankind Divided.

Kalor

Man, an Obsidian lead Deus Ex could have been really interesting. It's been a bad couple of days for Deus Ex related news.

Playsage

To be fair, he said the Deus Ex project would have come with "budget problem" so that might have reflected on what we got

I mean, Obsidian aren't that good at designing action/stealth mechanics. I don't think they would be an ideal candidate for developing a mainline Deus Ex, even with them being great writers and all.

Also why do thier games always get up getting canceled or released in an incomplete state regardless of the publisher? It seems that they're not good at managing thier projects.

Ashtar

Brazy, so pretty much Tomb Raiders poor performance made them need to do DE2 internally
Edit: Sora makes a good point though, DE: MD was actually a very good game, Im unsure if they'd have been able to deliver as well a playing game as that on their own

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I mean Alpha Protocol is already pretty damn close to a Deus Ex game, fuck this would have been amazing.

BlondeTuna

I mean, Obsidian aren't that good at designing action/stealth mechanics. I don't think they would be an ideal candidate for developing a mainline Deus Ex, even with them being great writers and all.

Also why do thier games always get up getting canceled or released in an incomplete state regardless of the publisher? It seems that they're not good at managing thier projects.

They could pull mechanics and expand on them from the first game.

Fallout: New Vegas is the example of how Obsidian can take an established IP and create a better game for it, technical issues aside.

diaspora

I mean Alpha Protocol is already pretty damn close to a Deus Ex game, fuck this would have been amazing.
The writing like Alpha Protocol would have been amazing probably. The gameplay if it was anything like Alpha Protocol would have been a mess.

SoCoRoBo

Not sure an Obsidian-produced Deus Ex is the orgasmotron that people think it might be. Obsidian has never done a single game with anything approaching good level design or gameplay. Not once. Its high points have always been the stories they were able to tell.

berzeli

Banned
To be fair, he said the Deus Ex project would have come with "budget problem" so that might have reflected on what we got
He said there was a budget problem (for Square-Enix) which is why the project didn't happen.
Eh, Obsidian without Avellone isn't that exciting.
Dude.Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky is up to something there. If you can't find that exciting I'm so sorry for you.

Isn't their tank game pretty solid in terms of action? Haven't played it myself.
And stealth in Alpha Protocol wasn't horrid. It was only horrifically broken in one mission...

They can deliver solid feature complete projects, now there are a lot of things you can say about Dungeon Siege III (I think it's underrated) but it's complete and runs like a dream. As did South Park afaik.

Feargus actually touches on project managing and how they have/had a tendency to bite off more than they can chew.

Sotha_Sil

Eh, Obsidian without Avellone isn't that exciting.

I love MCA, but lines like this do a big disservice to a lot of really talented RPG designers at Obsidian.

Avellone hasn't been a lead guy since KOTOR 2, except for 3 of the 4 New Vegas DLCs. From what I gather, he prefers it this way so he can focus on writing.

Vibranium

Banned
Obsidian doing Deus Ex...goddamn what could have been. Oh well, live and move on.

I hope they make a return to 3D RPG/Action games someday (Vampire Bloodlines 2 maybe?)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I love MCA, but lines like this do a big disservice to a lot of really talented RPG designers at Obsidian.

Avellone hasn't been a lead guy since KOTOR 2, except for 3 of the 4 New Vegas DLCs. From what I gather, he prefers it this way so he can focus on writing.

He did a lot of the AP rewrite and the best companions in MotB and yeah those super sweet Fallout DLCs. He was still doing the best writing at the company.

Top Bottom