• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Unfiltered: Obsidian's Feargus on the other other Fallout 3, Deus Ex HR2 and more

Since it is the standout; here is a direct link to the Deus Ex HR2 bit (it's very short and there is no info about the game/pitch just that it was a thing that happened)

I suspect that this is why Obsidian didn't get South Park 2. A publisher's internal teams are always going to come first. Don't outsource a game if you have an internal team with nothing do.

Reading between the lines I'm wondering if the DX2 plans changed when Thief bombed and Thief 2 was no longer on the drawing board.

Arulan

Interesting interview.

Weren't Obsidian looking for a buyer? Maybe they could join the SE umbrella.

Any publisher of whom primarily targets the mainstream audience, or is largely console-focused would be a terrible buyer choice for Obsidian. Taking on a project is one thing, but getting bought out by a company who has very different values than your own is usually disastrous. Paradox on the other hand...

I think a Deus Ex from Obsidian could be fascinating. That said, I'm fairly certain they're already working on a Vampire: The Masquerade game, and that could be just incredible.

Eusis

Not sure an Obsidian-produced Deus Ex is the orgasmotron that people think it might be. Obsidian has never done a single game with anything approaching good level design or gameplay. Not once. Its high points have always been the stories they were able to tell.
It's why it sounds more compelling to me now as a "welp Eidos Montreal is all tied up now" thing than as an alternative Mankind Divided.

Would be neat to have them do scenario and Eidos Montreal the gameplay design though.

Joyful

• That Square Enix originally approached Obsidian to do Deus Ex Human revolution 2 (!!)

IfYXPqQ.gif

Wow that deus ex news is a huge bummer. They would have made something amazing. Would have been the next best thing after the first Deus ex tbh (although I really enjoyed HR and MD)

Annoys me that their MS game got cancelled too. These guys need to get started on another action rpg and it seems like the possibility of that has kept dwindling. Praying they end up making a vampire masquerade game that ends up being similar to bloodlines. Whew

Isotropy

Obsidian Deus Ex??

*screams internally*

....*screams externally*

Game of the forever, torn from our grasp. Goddamit SE...

rezn0r

Thanks for posting this, I ended up here because of Durante linking in the Stormlands thread. Really great interview to listen to. Makes me want to fire up some of the classics (or go finish New Vegas!)

edit:
Feargus was an absolute pleasure to interview. I appreciate you guys giving it a look/listen!

Great job!

Top Bottom