• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Redout vs Fast Racing Neo/RMX

• Thread starter Deleted member 10571
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Hey GAF,

both of these games are announced for the Switch, and I never played any one of'em. This, of course, makes me want to decide.

What differentiates these two games, what's the pros and cons of each? Which one has the more solid single- or multiplayer experience? Is one clearly better?

I'm not sure if this question warrants its own thread, but hey, I couldn't find a similar one in a fast search, and maybe more people are interested in this.

c7NJRa2.gif

Well, considering there is no information on Redout for Switch other than Nicalis is publishing it for the system sometime in the launch window, it's hard to compare.

Redout on PC is very well received, hopefully it ports over well. Fast RMX was getting very positive reception from the Switch event where it was playable. It seems to run beautifully on the system and they added a ton more content from Fast Racing Neo.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Never played Fast Racing Neo, but what stands out to me is it's not F-Zero.

Redout was also billed as F-Zero, but it mostly plays like Wip3out.

Fast Racing NEO was a very cool game with a couple of terrible tracks (most notably the desert one with no barriers and tiny rocks you'd crash on). Also had the dumb design decision of having all online games be the slowest speed option, which wasn't patched to be optional until late the next year

Redout looks cool from what I've seen (the aesthetic is weird but it probably looks awesome in person/in motion).

Unfortunately neither have the tightness of F-Zero, it's closer to the looseness of Wipeout. Fast Racing looks like it might be faster (especially the higher speed levels) but again, haven't played Redout

jonno394

I'm getting both, Fast Racing RMX for a cheap Launch day (hopefully) fix. Redout comes later for slightly more but with a well fleshed out single player career mode, which the former is lacking.

CANLI

In Fast Racing Neo, the cars are too big. The game is cool but this fact bothers me.

Will buy Redout only.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't played either, but I'm eyeing Fast Racing RMX. It looked like it played very well and has full splitscreen multiplayer.

Does Redout have splitscreen multi?

I found the handling in FR to be too loose, like I didn't have enough control.

I'm currently downloading the PC demo of Redout.

I'm pretty much gonna "Why not both" but I don't know too much about Redout. Fast on WiiU is amazing and a prettier version with more content is super welcome.

ToTi

I will probably get Redout, reviews on Steam are very positive, and I really like the graphics.

I wish I had skipped Fast Racing Neo. There is no racecraft to cornering, even less than in WipEout, but that had good combat going.

For me Fast Racing Neo is a more of an endless runner that needs you to memorize the track layouts then execute the most obvious inputs, no real finesse, just timing and memorizing. Not for me.

RMX looks more like F-Zero, and Redout looks more like Wipeout. I prefer the F-Zero style but I don't plan on buying a Switch. Redout is currently on sale on steam so I just bought it. Hopefully we can get RMX on PC as well.

I wish I had skipped Fast Racing Neo. There is no racecraft to cornering, even less than in WipEout, but that had good combat going.

For me Fast Racing Neo is a more of an endless runner that needs you to memorize the track layouts then execute the most obvious inputs, no real finesse, just timing and memorizing. Not for me.

Wow. That's pretty accurate actually.

I've only played the game in one session and have no real desire to go back to it.

Zero83

Fast Racing Neo is great. I'm not sure if I'll rebuy it since I'm keeping my Wii U and I have the DLC tracks too. It doesn't feel like either F Zero or Wipeout, I feel like it's got its own identity.

So, I'll definitely check out Redout and I'll buy it if reviews are positive. Hope it turns out as good as Fast.

Endless runner might be a bit underselling it but the track memorization thing is pretty apt

There's several tracks (one that sticks out is that rainy/lightning storm one) with some real bullshit sections that you will fuck up if you don't know how to take it the first time. Whereas F-Zero never really had those sections. Maybe a point here or there where there's a quick turn after a hill or something but never like "oh you didn't hit this jump the one intended way and now you're hitting rocks"

Synth

Out of the two I prefer RedOut by a significant margin. I also marginally prefer WipEout to F-Zero, if anyone finds that helpful for calibration of taste.

FAST is faster, but the handling, tracks, AI and boost mechanics are imo poorly designed to work with one another. There's crazy rubberbanding, and the AI can collect the orbs in front of you, which are instrumental to you maintaining a high speed, and compounds the rubberbanding issue. The track designs have some needlessly punishing death traps (especially the infamous desert track, that feels like it was made for a completely different game altogether), which makes the requirement to complete entire cups without being able to retry individual races potentially very frustrating. FAST's sense of speed also relies heavily on its FOV warping as speeds increase, which is an effect I find to be rather annoying personally, and further impacts the tiny orb collecting issue.

RedOut is the slower of the two games, has a more methodical handling system to complement it, much like WipeOut does in comparison to F-Zero. RedOut actually succeeds in marrying it's handling system with its track design, and general gameplay mechanics however, whereas FAST completely fails to replicate how well F-Zero balances this. Initially, the AI in RedOut's early races was incredibly difficult, but as a response to feedback the developers seem to have tweak this to ease new players in more gradually. I'm personally not a fan of these kinds of racers containing upgrade systems (scarred by WipEout Fusion), but it's not too big a deal in this.

Honestly, I feel that FAST Racing Neo is very, very lucky that F-Zero has left such a hole in the subgenre, because I don't feel that it has the kind of quality that would allow it to be even remotely relevant in a market with a current F-Zero game. RedOut I can see standing on its own merits, even with the incoming WipEout Omega Collection. It certainly doesn't have a chance at knocking either F-Zero GX or WipEout off the pedestal (which depends on which style you prefer), but it at least earns its place to be in the running, along with older alternatives like Extreme G or Rollcage. It also doesn't make me sick in VR... which I didn't think would be possible.

Skyzard

Banned
Out of the two I prefer RedOut by a significant margin. I also marginally prefer WipEout to F-Zero, if anyone finds that helpful for calibration of taste.

FAST is faster, but the handling, tracks, AI and boost mechanics are imo poorly designed to work with one another. There's crazy rubberbanding, and the AI can collect the orbs in front of you, which are instrumental to you maintaining a high speed, and compounds the rubberbanding issue. The track designs have some needlessly punishing death traps (especially the infamous desert track, that feels like it was made for a completely different game altogether), which makes the requirement to complete entire cups without being able to retry individual races potentially very frustrating. FAST's sense of speed also relies heavily on its FOV warping as speeds increase, which is an effect I find to be rather annoying personally, and further impacts the tiny orb collecting issue.

RedOut is the slower of the two games, has a more methodical handling system to complement it, much like WipeOut does in comparison to F-Zero. RedOut actually succeeds in marrying it's handling system with its track design, and general gameplay mechanics however, whereas FAST completely fails to replicate how well F-Zero balances this. Initially, the AI in RedOut's early races was incredibly difficult, but as a response to feedback the developers seem to have tweak this to ease new players in more gradually. I'm personally not a fan of these kinds of racers containing upgrade systems (scarred by WipEout Fusion), but it's not too big a deal in this.

Honestly, I feel that FAST Racing Neo is very, very lucky that F-Zero has left such a hole in the subgenre, because I don't feel that it has the kind of quality that would allow it to be even remotely relevant in a market with a current F-Zero game. RedOut I can see standing on its own merits, even with the incoming WipEout Omega Collection. It certainly doesn't have a chance at knocking either F-Zero GX or WipEout off the pedestal (which depends on which style you prefer), but it at least earns its place to be in the running, along with older alternatives like Extreme G or Rollcage. It also doesn't make me sick in VR... which I didn't think would be possible.

Really? Even at ClassIV with augmented propeller?

Synth

Really? Even at ClassIV with augmented propeller?

No idea. I should probably have noted I've played quite a bit more of FAST than I have of RedOut so far. I've only played RedOut up to class 2, but assumed the speed wouldn't scale upwards that dramatically. Maybe that was an incorrect assumption to make.

To be fair though, as I mentioned FAST's sense of speed is owed largely to it pulling the camera back, rather than actually being that fast, so maybe I should simply have said FAST feels faster.

Skyzard

Banned
No idea. I should probably have noted I've played quite a bit more of FAST than I have of RedOut so far. I've only played RedOut up to class 2, but assumed the speed wouldn't scale upwards that dramatically. Maybe that was an incorrect assumption to make.

To be fair though, as I mentioned FAST's sense of speed is owed largely to it pulling the camera back, rather than actually being that fast, so maybe I should simply have said FAST feels faster.

Ah okay, class IV goes fast! :) So does class III really. Especially as you are getting to grips with the game, it scales nicely. I remember having trouble controlling things to begin with. AP is like module to increase max speed and acceleration as well.

I think they toned it down a bit since release but it should still feel seriously fast with the more difficult tracks, especially with how you have to think about taking corners - thought it's not brutal if you hit the sides like in wipeout.

Atolm

I haven't played Redout yet but FRN is a great game despite some serious flaws. It's extremely punishing: too easy to go off-track or have the ship explode and sometimes you get the feeling that the physics system is selling you out and the rivals cheating. And also if you miss turbo pads & boost items you're fucked. On higher speed tiers going off-course or having the ship explode is an instant loss.

I consider myself better than most people at these type of games (platinumed Wipeout HD and 2048 no problem, 100% F-Zero GX) and I consider FRN really unfair and unbalanced. And yet is a really good game. It doesn't feel like Wipeout or F-Zero at all imo, it's its own thing.

c7NJRa2.gif

Well, considering there is no information on Redout for Switch other than Nicalis is publishing it for the system sometime in the launch window, it's hard to compare.

Redout on PC is very well received, hopefully it ports over well. Fast RMX was getting very positive reception from the Switch event where it was playable. It seems to run beautifully on the system and they added a ton more content from Fast Racing Neo.

Yeah ok. I think we'll be great grandparents before that game sees release by Nicalis.

Ivan 3414

"memorize the track layouts"

"endless runner"

🤔

Pat

This, actually.

It is still a fun game, but no where near F-Zero's intensity. The AI is also extremely unfair, feels like Mario Kart 64.

ghibli99

I just tried the Redout demo and while it's light on content, vehicle handling felt pretty good. I think a good test for games like this is whether I can just play it with a few tests with the buttons and do OK. Cornering feels nice and the boosts/redouts give the game an incredible sense of speed without you feeling like you're going to just lose control. Visuals look nice, although I had some weird hitching throughout, which might just be my PC here at the office. By the third lap, I felt pretty comfortable with it, so I could easily see myself really getting into it. Still a bit too expensive for me, but I'll be keeping my eye on it.

"memorize the track layouts"

"endless runner"

��
I meant something like Mario Run, not "endless". What are they called? Auto-runner? I have no idea.

------------

F-Zero (the one on the SNES) is much more about optimal cornering speed and hitting apexes, I don't really get the comparisons to Fast Racing Neo. That being said, I wouldn't mind an F-Zero that is not first-party budget-wise if it looks as good as Fast Racing Neo and runs as well. Really appreciate the game's technical achievements, but it's not really about concepts of racing. Even Mario Kart has a lot more racecraft to it, even if it's lost on most people.

TheMoon

It's not that much new content, honestly.

RMX looks more like F-Zero, and Redout looks more like Wipeout. I prefer the F-Zero style but I don't plan on buying a Switch. Redout is currently on sale on steam so I just bought it. Hopefully we can get RMX on PC as well.

FAST is nothing like F-Zero.

psyfi

Banned
Redout looks too much like Wipeout to me. I've always preferred F-Zero, so if I get either game it'll be Fast.

The one thing Fast RMX has over Redout is that we won't know how well Redout will port to the Switch. Fast RMX has the benefit of being made by a team that takes time knowing a Nintendo console inside and out so you'll know that this new enhanced version will be fully optimized.

Atolm

Just realized Redout is on sale and bought it.

So far impressions are good. Handling alone seems better than FRN.

Kneefoil

Fast Racing I haven't tried out, and RedOut I've only played for one rather short session. The handling wasn't bad, but it didn't really strike a chord with me either. It might just be something you have to get used to, though, and I've only tried one of the vehicles, so I plan on giving the game another, more thorough chance when I have the time.

I wasn't big on the audio design either, but I guess I can just put on my own tunes or something, if I get tired of the game's own sounds.

vermadas

I enjoy both F-Zero and Wipeout, but prefer F-Zero. Having played both Fast and Redout, I would recommend Redout.

GamerJM

Banned
I haven't played RedOut yet but assuming it mostly just plays like Wipeout then I think I'll end up liking Fast Racing Neo/RMX more.

I'd rank these
F-Zero>FAST>Wipeout

But all three are good.

Eolz

Both of those games have nothing to do with F-Zero unfortunately, even if both (especially FR) feel faster than Wipeout.
FR seems to have more content than Redout tbh, I'd recommend it first.

I haven't played any but to me they look too messy to look at. Wipeout and F Zero might be very fast but they have reasonable FOV and everything is discernable. It seems to me like this games try to outdo Wipeout and F-Zero with a lot of flashiness in exchange for gameplay. My opinion from what i see, might be wrong.

Top Bottom