• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tired of spoilers in thumbnails/video titles on youtube? Install this video blocker!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I was just reading the Horizon OT and it seems there are spoilers on the horizon.
badumtiss.
But seriously there are gaming channels specifically dedicated to spoiling important moments in games with titles and thumbnails. Even worse is that youtube recommends users these channels thanks to their recommendation algorithm when you search for specific games as these channels are quite popular. Channels such as Generic Gaming. Well we have a solution. And it's called video blocker. With these simple add on you can add a channel's name and no longer will that channel show up in any of the following
-search results
-recommendations
-side bars
-even when you search specifically for them

It's as easy as going to their channel and manually adding their name to the add list. That's not all, you can also add keywords, like *insert name of game spoilers*

List of channels known for posting spoilers on new releases:
-Beastgaming
-Calloftreyarch
-Generic Gaming

beware the spoilers as you're adding them, which you do in the following way
You have to directly go to their channel and highlight their name and copy it into the "Add" option next to search
tbntEdv.png

If you do it that way the extension should automatically redirect you to youtube's homepage, that's how you know it worked.

This will be big for Visual Novels.

I'm sure there are also extensions for hiding the recommendations section of YouTube altogether.

Griss

That's a great idea. Someone should keep a list of channels to add so that each user doesn't have to discover them themselves by being spoiled.

jediyoshi

I'm a dummy, what's the difference between adding a wildcard and keyword?

edit: looks like keyword is the one I want in any case

Crossing Eden

That's a great idea. Someone should keep a list of channels to add so that each user doesn't have to discover them themselves by being spoiled.
Added a primary list of well known spoiler channels.

Haremquest

Neo Member
I right clicked the channel and added it to the list but I can still find it when I directly search it? Is that how it works?

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
such a pet peeve sometimes in the recommendation sections they have a spoiler thumbnail lik wtf are you thinking, some youtubers are god damn morons

EDIT: TheRadBrad, sometimes uses spoiler thumbnails, add that to list

jediyoshi

I right clicked the channel and added it to the list but I can still find it when I directly search it? Is that how it works?

It shouldn't. If you're blocking a channel through the right click/context menu, it should be gone entirely.

It looks like there's a bug with adding channels through the extension's options directly though, it doesn't work for me.

You have to directly go to their channel and highlight their name.

Right clicking on any video from a channel is enough to bring up the option, even just through search results.

Andrefpvs

Here's a few keywords I blocked that others may want to block as well:

cc67072d0f.png

814cf26fb4.png

Any other danger words anyone can suggest?

Crossing Eden

It shouldn't. If you're blocking a channel through the right click/context menu, it should be gone entirely.

It looks like there's a bug with adding channels through the extension's options directly though, it doesn't work for me.

Right clicking on any video from a channel is enough to bring up the option.
That's how you do it directly. If you do it that way the extension should automatically redirect you to youtube's homepage, that's how you know it worked, and the channel will no longer show up in any of the things I listed in the OP.

jediyoshi

That's how you do it directly. If you do it that way the extension should automatically redirect you to youtube's homepage, that's how you know it worked.

It also strips the channel from the channels section of search results which is quicker to check if you're going down a large list of them at a time. The point was that there's nothing unique between the actions, it treats all links regarding a channel the same contextually in function.

Haremquest

Neo Member
That's how you do it directly. If you do it that way the extension should automatically redirect you to youtube's homepage, that's how you know it worked, and the channel will no longer show up in any of the things I listed in the OP.

Anytime I click to add it I don't get redirected at all.

Crossing Eden

It also strips the channel from the channels section of search results which is quicker to check if you're going down a large list of them at a time. The point was that there's nothing unique between the actions, it treats all links regarding a channel the same contextually in function.
Huh? Guess I never tried it that way.
Anytime I click to add it I don't get redirected at all.
Are you copy and pasting the channel name in the banner directly into add?

Wagram

Can you make it so it filters the videos in the recommendations, etc, but keeps it if you manually type in content.

For example, say I wanted to filter Star Ocean 3, but if I typed in Star Ocean 3 could I still see it?

Luminaire

I've been using this to block any channel that had REACTS on it. They're one of my most hated trends.

To add to the list above: revealed

Capra

Any recommendation for Firefox users?
The FF version of the addon has not so good ratings ("slows everything down").

I would like to know this as well.

I'm pretty sure I've already had the
/every
final boss of NieR Automata spoiled for me by Youtube recommendations.

aravuus

Oh wow, the keyword filtering is great. Added Horizon and Nier there and some random words like ending and twist. I was hoping for something that'd white out all thumbnails by default, but this is much better.

All that said, it's not like I've spent a lot of time on Youtube lately though. Mainly just watching RLM videos, and the sidebars just filled with more RLM videos with those.

Wagram

It straight up blocks them, but you can disable it if you wish to do a manual search. I can be on youtube without fear of Nier spoilers!

Ricitor

Fantastic extension. Have been using it for about over a year or two now. Only reason I got it was to remove all that hateful GG bullshit that kept flogging my home page on YouTube. Best thing that ever happened.
Along with the Hide YouTube Comments extension, it fucking has made YouTube a much nicer place for me.

Lamptramp

Although not particularly sensitive to spoilers I can see this being a boon if only for the other reasons listed above, cheers for the suggestion.

I've been using this to block any channel that had REACTS on it. They're one of my most hated trends.

To add to the list above: revealed

Such as this :)

Wagram

Thanks OP. I've been looking for something like this for some time. Nothing more frustrating than someone spoiling especially in unreleased games.

The Firefox version seems to work well too for me.
I didn´t even have to go to the channel site, I just had to add the channel via the video blocker symbol.

Another channel for the list:
BestVideoMoments

It annoyed the fuck out of me the last days with constant Zelda spoilers.

Crossing Eden

Fantastic extension. Have been using it for about over a year or two now. Only reason I got it was to remove all that hateful GG bullshit that kept flogging my home page on YouTube. Best thing that ever happened.
Along with the Hide YouTube Comments extension, it fucking has made YouTube a much nicer place for me.
It's absolutely great for blocking GG/white supremacists channels.

Justinh

Thanks!

I never knew such a thing existed. Just installed the Firefox version. I'm not one that's usually bothered by spoilers, but I hate seeing recommendations for stuff I really don't like (react, watchmojo, etc...)

seems to be case-sensitive...

Thanks!

I never knew such a thing existed. Just installed the Firefox version. I'm not one that's usually bothered by spoilers, but I hate seeing recommendations for stuff I really don't like (react, watchmojo, etc...)

seems to be case-sensitive...

Are you sure?
I have Zelda written in lowercase and it blocks everything.

a916

"I see you watched a review of this brand new game. Here's a video thumbnail that spoils the final boss!"

-Youtube

Oh man, IGN used to do that so often... "here's our review when the emargo lifts, enjoy folks."

... game releases...

"Games been out for 2 minutes? Here's the final boss and the 100% ending and massive thumbnails fam"

Wireframe

I'd like to add Boss Fight Database to that list of youtube channels for ruining the true boss of Nier: Automata yesterday on me.

Honestly if I'm getting near release of a game i've been following I find it's better to just clear my watch and search history on youtube as it'll reset the algorithm.

Andrefpvs

Duraigo

Definitely wish I had this a week or two ago. Been holding out on RE7, and I already know what the final boss looks like thanks to videos suggestions on the side.

Musolf815

Thank you. I've had a huge problem with this for a while, I had a ton spoiled about MGSV from the "BIG SCENE IN TITLE" videos.

Top Bottom