• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Housemarque engineered Resogun for 4K (PS4 Pro)

Raylan

Banned
How Housemarque engineered Resogun for 4K

The story behind the beautiful ultra HD PS4 Pro update.

If you own a PlayStation 4 Pro console and you've not added Resogun to your collection, you're missing out on one of the best showcase titles available for the system. Developer Housemarque has delivered a brilliant 4K presentation and vibrant HDR, while retaining a locked 60fps during gameplay. It's the same Resogun gameplay we've loved since launch, but beautifully retooled for the new generation of ultra HD displays. Essentially, it delivers the full promise of the Pro hardware where so many titles have come up just a little short.

It also scores big points in delivering what pixel-counts and extreme screenshot zooms seem to confirm as a native 4K presentation. Only it isn't. Housemarque uses a blend of techniques to deliver an ultra HD framebuffer that looks as good as the real thing - and the precision of it certainly had us convinced that it was the real thing.

"If by native 4K you mean 3840x2160 frame buffer - yes, that is the case. We used PS4 Pro's checkerboard rendering," explains Housemarque's engine architect, Seppo Halonen. "It was the second approach we tried and everything seemed to run fine with it so there was no need to try anything more after that. On top of this, there is our ultimate post-processing pass that is done at full 4K that processes enemy outlines and chroma split and a little bit extra on top of that, giving the game that final look."

One of the reasons we approached Housemarque about the PS4 Pro patch for Resogun is simply because the results we were seeing here were so good that we had to find out just how they managed to do it. Based on the incorrect assumption that it Resogun was resolving a native presentation, Housemarque had somehow delivered the same performance with 4x the pixel count on a machine that is 'only' around twice as fast as the standard PS4. The maths didn't add up, and even with the revelation that the developer is using a checkerboard solution, the identical performance we see is still quite an achievement. Even the end-of-level apocalypse effects - which do see the frame-rate drop beneath 60fps - reveal identical performance on both PS4 consoles.

Video

More here

Yep, I'm not suprised. Housemarque is awesome :)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
What's more interesting to me is that people seem to be having more and more trouble discerning native from non-native reproduction techniques (this game, the division) . I mean, it's great from a performance point-of-view. But is it just because we're not very used to 'truly' native 4K results at the moment, or are the non-native techniques just getting so good that the difference would really be very small even if you side-by-side-d them?

dl77

Probably a mixture of both. Same with all the 1080p vs 900p we saw at the beginning of the generation. I think that if people really want to look into the differences they'll see them but for the layman an upscaled 4k will probably look the same as native.

I think that once Scorpio is released and MS (presumably) publish native 4k games then that'll give us a better view of scaling technology on console.

AmyS

I've been wondering if Resogun's PS4 Pro patch was doing native 2160p or not.

I'm still confused. Tech-GAF please help me understand.

I seriously doubt Scorpio or even the next gen consoles target true native 4K when the reception for these new techniques have been so positive. Just use the horsepower for other things.

The fact that the framebuffer is full 4K, what you will be looking for is artifacts of the checkerboarding process, whereas with 900p -> 1080p, traditionally it was a simple upscale, and you can pixel count it.

In a game like ResoGun, there is so much going on, it would be impossible to see the artifacts under normal play unless you take a screen grab and start searching.

Good job!

DBT85

What's more interesting to me is that people seem to be having more and more trouble discerning native from non-native reproduction techniques (this game, the division) . I mean, it's great from a performance point-of-view. But is it just because we're not very used to 'truly' native 4K results at the moment, or are the non-native techniques just getting so good that the difference would really be very small even if you side-by-side-d them?

The higher the pixel density the harder its going to be be to see the difference. While 1800p on a 2160p screen and 900p on a 1080p screen are about the same in terms of pixel percentage of native, one is noticeably not native, where one is, to many, not noticeable. Though some do seem to struggle to see 900p on a 1080 it seems, so shouldn't be able to see 1800p on a 2160p at all.

When you then also add in CB rendering, temporal AA etc, the real crushing need for actual native "everything is totally 2160p" is fairly low.

NXGamer

I've been wondering if Resogun's PS4 Pro patch was doing native 2160p or not.

I'm still confused. Tech-GAF please help me understand.
They render half the pixels of a true 4K image and then reproject, extrapolate, work out the other half within the render process. This delivers a full 4K image but not quite a crisp and not in the traditional method. But saves them time and budget.
Checkerboard upres -> post processing in 4k -> display, so it's a mix.
It is not upres, but instead a cheaper way to render a larger frame. No stretching or scaling is used here, what hits you tv is a 1to1 pixel Mao, just not all pixels are created equal.

antyk

I wonder if Alienation gets the same update? For my money, it was the better game of the two even if critically I think Resogun ranked higher?

Slightly OT, but were there any news about Matterfall? Nex Machina somehow wasn't really convincing to me...

Top Bottom